• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Let's pretend I'm really dumb for a moment and someone explain what this means exactly?

No real effect in practice. But what happens is that when you have a voiced vote like this, if the "ayes" have it, then it passes as if unanimous. So now basically, 100:0 the push to re-open the government has passed the House.

Obviously this doesn't mean anything without further Senate ratification but it does once again force McConnell to openly oppose opening the government which plays right into AOC/Pelosi's tactics of getting him out in the open to have to continue weathering the push-back.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump and the GOP's "leverage" in this whole thing, such as it is, is that people aren't getting payed and they're trying to use that to convince Democrats to pay for the wall. If they're going to get paid anyway (because Democrats would have no problem passing such a measure, meaning that "Dems don't care" thing won't work at all, just like it's currently not, since they'd pass it in a heartbeat), that gives Democrats even less reason to cave on the wall. Like... if the government's technically shut down, but people actually get paid, how is that in any way supposed to make Democrats more likely to cave on wall funding?

That's why it's dumb. It completely forgets the entire purpose of this shutdown in the first place and removes the bargaining chip Trump/GOP is trying to play with to begin with.

Have no idea what you're talking about unless you think Pelosi would actually block something like that if they tried it.

I guess I'm not sure on the specifics of this resolution either, is it literally just one paycheck? It it all workers either not being paid or furloughed?

I'd say the concern would be the GOP as they've even said want to keep parts of the government closed. If there isn't fallout from people missing paychecks, this could go on indefinitely.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
They will, but the GOP put it forward and thus can say that they put it forward. It actually does buy them time. Time to keep blaming the Dems.

People getting paid to not work?? I'm sure no R will have an issue with it.

Seriously though, this doesn't really help much. As, I've said before, no one is talking about the damage being done to contractors who will never receive back pay. And there are far more of them in the crosshairs if this keeps going.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
She didn't make that choice. Her mistake was not going to a country that wouldn't extradite, before mouthing off about an ongoing investigation.
I'm pretty sure she mouthed off because she was to deported for being a criminal in Thailand and was hoping the US would save her.

I won't be surprised if she has a dubious (petty criminal) past in Russia.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
Another item for a DDD trifecta would definitely be making a shutdown or debt ceiling miss never happen without an affirmative decision by congress and the president to make it happen (which won't happen).

If you appropriate the debt is issued. If you don't reach a new budget the old one holds.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry not politics related but hahaha hwat

Ever wanted to have the blood of young virgins coursing through your old, withered veins? Well, you're in luck, because Ambrosia, the controversial California startup that injects wannabe Draculas with the blood of teens and 20-somethings, is now offering its services to the masses — via PayPal!

Business Insider reports that the online payments are just one way the company is branching out beyond Silicon Valley billionaires.

Ambrosia is now touting transfusion clinics in five cities: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Tampa, Omaha and Houston. (High-profile plans to open a clinic in New York City never materialized.) But you still have to be really rich — or really bloodthirsty — to afford it.

The startup charges $8,000 for 1 liter of blood, or $12,000 for 2 liters.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, trump would have to veto and it gets sent back to be officially overturned
Yes. When we say "veto-proof," we simply mean that a bill has passed with enough votes to override a veto theoretically. The president still has to veto it and return it to Congress. You don't get to skip a step just because it garners a certain number of votes the first time.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Honestly that's the kind of apology you would want, but she's running for the highest office in the land with a huge field of candidates that don't have this problem.
Indeed. If nothing else, its a good apology. Now though she needs to show she means it by engaging those communities on a regular basis. That's the hard part and where you really put your money where your mouth is. Long term, good hfor her, but not enough tinme before 2020.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Yes. When we say "veto-proof," we simply mean that a bill has passed with enough votes to override a veto theoretically. The president still has to veto it and return it to Congress. You don't get to skip a step just because it garners a certain number of votes the first time.
It does give a good soundbite though, that something is unanimous.

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with those who sincerely changed their views. No one is born woke. Maybe in this instance Gabbard really did change

Problem is there's all this other weird and seemingly insidious shit with her.

She should also apologize to those dead Syrians and their families while she's at it.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
She could apologize by giving up her seat and retiring from politics and public life altogether. That would be more appropriate.

giphy.gif

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm ok with those who sincerely changed their views. No one is born woke. Maybe in this instance Gabbard really did change

Problem is there's all this other weird and seemingly insidious shit with her.

She should also apologize to those dead Syrians and their families while she's at it.
Yeah, were it just her apologizing for her anti LGBT comments, maybe I could see forgiving her but the terrible pro Assad makes her a complete non starter for me. Also there's way better candidates out there that didn't do any of this shit.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. If nothing else, its a good apology. Now though she needs to show she means it by engaging those communities on a regular basis. That's the hard part and where you really put your money where your mouth is. Long term, good hfor her, but not enough tinme before 2020.
That's a good point too. If she's serious about running for president and she really has changed, why hasn't she been showing how her views changed with actions for a while now? Did she think people wouldn't care? Did she not realize it was a problem until she ran for president and got backlash?

And ignoring all that, why is she a better candidate than anyone else considering the Syria stuff?

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017

It took them a whole day and this is the best they can come up with? 😂🤣.

Also at the "fly commercial" diss at the end. How out of touch are they that they think it's a huge burn to ask someone to fly commercial?

Status
Not open for further replies.