• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Speaking of op-eds, now that everyone is fired I wonder if we get an admission from the mystery WH renegade.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
He starts with 'felt disrespected' which is arguably even worse. But no. I'm sure just like every other time he put his foot in his mouth and said something tone dead we are the only ones to think so and it won't be echoed elsewhere.

Optics matter. You think those of us here who supported Clinton don't get that?
You can tell by how he describes the third party firm, that he's using "felt" to set a lower bar for what are legitimate complaints.

He's not suggesting that the accusations were merely that some women "felt" harassed, as opposed to actually harassed, as part of an effort to minimize their complaints -- he's acknowledging that those complaints should be taken seriously even if yet to be proven. The former is how the fake apology trope works, but that doesn't apply here.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see what stunts Sue pulls to stay relevant now that her vote isn't that crucial.
It would seem Collins and Gardner are the walking dead for 2020. Maybe they'll moderate so they'll have a chance for reelection. Nah, they'll make "I'm concerned" statements while also tripling down with the Trump crazies.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
You can tell by how he describes the third party firm, that he's using "felt" to set a lower bar for what are legitimate complaints.

He's not suggesting that the accusations were merely that some women "felt" harassed, as opposed to actually harassed, as part of an effort to minimize their complaints -- he's acknowledging that those complaints should be taken seriously even if yet to be proven. The former is how the fake apology trope works, but that doesn't apply here.

This seems a reach. To say "The former is how the fake apology trope works, but that doesn't apply here" really looks like you're trying to make excuses for him. I'm not sure where I come down on his reaction, but I think if he'd said "women believe they were disrespected", it would be easier to give him the benefit of the doubt. "Felt" heavily implies their feelings were hurt, but also their feelings are wrong.

Oct 25, 2017

I guess super PACs are gonna be disavowed in 2020. Curious what Kamala does.

Also, Warren kinda gives Bloomberg that work
in this clip saying that the primary electorate should say "No to the billionaires. even if they are self-funding".

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
This seems a reach. To say "The former is how the fake apology trope works, but that doesn't apply here" really looks like you're trying to make excuses for him. I'm not sure where I come down on his reaction, but I think if he'd said "women believe they were disrespected", it would be easier to give him the benefit of the doubt. "Felt" heavily implies their feelings were hurt, but also their feelings are wrong.
I mean, did you watch the video? Where he describes the systems in place during his 2018 campaign? Where he's talking about the independent firm the campaign hired so women could file complaints in confidence if they "felt" harassed? Because it's a good thing when the threshold to report complaints is low enough to include instances where someone felt harassed, rather than some higher bar like corroborating witnesses or something.

It doesn't seem like a reach at all when you actually listen to the interview.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, did you watch the video? Where he describes the systems in place during his 2018 campaign? Where he's talking about the independent firm the campaign hired so women could file complaints in confidence if they "felt" harassed? Because it's a good thing when the threshold to report complaints is low enough to include instances where someone felt harassed, rather than some higher bar like corroborating witnesses or something.

I'm just pointing out that "believe" is better language than "felt", especially in this day-and-age when "believe women" is pretty much a constant refrain in the media and social media. Nowhere did I say that a lower bar was better or worse.

less

Oct 25, 2017
It has been a long two years but now we can take a small breather.

Looking forward to seeing the ways Pelosi and the Dems will use their newfound power to combat Trump and co. The investigations, some of them at least, should certainly be explosive to say the least.

Oct 25, 2017

Hannity is like if they remade "The Fly", except this time it's a random thumb that sneaks into the teleporter.

giphy.gif

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I was already thinking Minnesota would be a good place to live some day and when I found out I was like yoooo
Minneapolis is awesome and everyone (broadly speaking) in the city proper is super accepting and kind, and the culture here is amazing.

The suburbs have a lot of snobs and the rural areas are backwards as ever, but what can you do.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just pointing out that "believe" is better language than "felt", especially in this day-and-age when "believe women" is pretty much a constant refrain in the media and social media. Nowhere did I say that a lower bar was better or worse.
I don't really think "women believe they were disrespected" vs "women felt they were disrespected" would have saved him from people trying to take him out of context -- it's basically the same thing (with the trope, it's usually meant to suggest the thing never actually happened, like it was just a misunderstanding -- replacing "felt" with "believed" wouldn't change the meaning).

Bernie often says things that are easy to take out of context and this is no exception -- it's one thing to criticize him for that, but it's another thing when people actually take part in the taking out of context.

(though he also sometimes just says stuff in context that is bad -- I just don't think that applies to this instance)

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
This shutdown is going to last a long-ass time, huh? After today, I'm super confident Pelosi isn't going to cave on the wall. She seems to be taking this personally, which is I suppose understandable given how much shit Trump has given her the past 2 years.

Broke: IRS doesn't issue refunds during the shutdown.
Woke: IRS can't ask you for more money during the shutdown. Maybe.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think "women believe they were disrespected" vs "women felt they were disrespected" would have saved him from people trying to take him out of context -- it's basically the same thing (with the trope, it's usually meant to suggest the thing never actually happened, like it was just a misunderstanding -- replacing "felt" with "believed" wouldn't change the meaning).

I think it would've, simply because of the trope, and the added weight that "believe" has. But *shrugs*, I'm not trying to trip him up with this - I'm inclined to believe that if he sent out a statement, it would've read "believe", but a live interview, he just used the first word that came to mind.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
In light of Trump's garbage Vatican comments, I have a proposed compromise over the wall-- It gets built, but all CBP and ICE are replaced by Swiss Royal Guards using ceremonial polearms for self defense. If the Swiss aren't up to it, I'd accept Mounties with logging saws as a replacement.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
I was right earlier about the RNC panicking:

I bet the gofundme is almost there

"There" being a series of overseas bank accounts.

I get to use this so so much starting tommorow.

0lwMMGy.jpg

"Today, Mr. President is the worst day of your life. It is also the best day of the rest of your life."

Also is the first time I have EVER seen Cummings not making his "bitchslap face".

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I was right earlier about the RNC panicking:

Captures the source of their panic.

I don't think a primary against Trump will succeed, BUT if they want to have a chance, it needs to be one person, not Kasich, Romney, and Flake all competing to be the white savior. Things get murky if you have multiple challengers. Make it one-on-one so there's a very clear not-Trump vote that might cause a schism to our benefit in the general.

Like an inverse Carter vs. Kennedy.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Minneapolis is awesome and everyone (broadly speaking) in the city proper is super accepting and kind, and the culture here is amazing.
The Twin Cities is fucking great. Probably the most underrated major city in the US.

But for real, you need to put the mayors of Minneapolis and Saint Paul in a thunderdome and the loser has to pick the other city's name. You can keep your job and everything, but Minneapolis-Saint Paul is too long to type and Twin City/ies is grammatically awkward.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Captures the source of their panic.

I don't think a primary against Trump will succeed, BUT if they want to have a chance, it needs to be one person, not Kasich, Romney, and Flake all competing to be the white savior. Things get murky if you have multiple challengers. Make it one-on-one so there's a very clear not-Trump vote that might cause a schism to our benefit in the general.

Like an inverse Carter vs. Kennedy.

I dunno, Trump as an incumbent winning primaries with only 30% of his party votes and getting flat out smoked in the Northeast, Utah, Ohio, and Zona would be worth it for the meltdowns.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The city pretty well prepared to handle it though.
I mean, if you have to dig your car out of the snow it's gonna suck no matter what, but don't imagine a super cold day in your city and assume it's the same experience there.
Yeah, Minnesotans are way more equipped to deal with the weather because we kind of have to be.

Every time I see some story about Atlanta having to shut down over an inch of snow or something I just roll my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.