• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The virus isn't very dangerous anymore, but it is your house, so I'd tell them to kick rocks if it bothers you. Frankly, I'd be more worried about the other aspects of their lives that have a chance at "infecting" your children...

I'd disagree in that it's not dangerous anymore, it's not as dangerous to those who've vaccinated for sure but it can still affect people pretty severely.

Side note I'm still mad your thread about the tape was locked.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
1 it still is for unvaccinated people
2 60k people died in january of 2022, in the US. Id say thats pretty dangerous.

I am not disagreeing with you about January numbers and overall severity, but fatality numbers have plummeted currently. Average daily deaths are at around 400 per day nationwide. If your kids and other guests don't have crazy co-morbidities or are immunocompromised, it is not at all likely someone is going to die or even be hospitalized at this point. January was still in the grips of a massive wave, and that wave is just not happening right now in America.

But, as I said: it's your house, your rules. I would still be more worried at this point at them passing on crazy conspiracy theories, or other insanity.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal, but I got COVID from my sister (twice vaccinated at the time, just before she was scheduled to get boosted) who got it from someone Boosted. Said person went out for lunch with their family, and caused a bunch of people to get it. My friend got it from his youngest (though it somehow bypassed his older kids?).

Breakthrough cases are not this rare beast that so many make it out to be. Drama over it seems silly to me, but that's just me.

Yeah. OPs parents should get vaccinated, but at this point COVID seems to spread regardless of vaccination status of not. Especially BA2. Of course the difference is in immune protection.

Oct 27, 2017
People in this thread advocating for caving to anti-vaxxers because "family first" are strange to me.

If the grandparents don't respect OP's wishes or his family enough to get vaccinated, it goes beyond a public safety issue, and more about them just being assholes.

They can kick rocks.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I am not disagreeing with you about January numbers and overall severity, but fatality numbers have plummeted currently. Average daily deaths are at around 400 per day nationwide. If your kids and other guests don't have crazy co-morbidities or are immunocompromised, it is not at all likely someone is going to die or even be hospitalized at this point. January was still in the grips of a massive wave, and that wave is just not happening right now in America.

But, as I said: it's your house, your rules. I would still be more worried at this point at them passing on crazy conspiracy theories, or other insanity.

Which is still higher than last summer, pre DELTA. Deaths are certainly low, but we actually don't know what case levels are at. Testing is at such a low point, with so many just doing home tests or even just ignoring it, there's no real way to say how much COVID is out there. Notably though, with hospitalizations at the lowest point in the entire pandemic now (though they are starting to rise again, BA2 is going to cause at least a small wave), deaths seem to be higher than we'd expect, which calls into question the idea that Omicron is far less severe that has been touted.

A lot of people in this thread who just want to pretend COVID is over. It isn't. Yes, its in one of the better states currently of the pandemic. It is however still very much a threat, and future waves are still going to come. A lot of people are still dying. We should absolutely still be getting vaccinated and trying to convince those who haven't to do so. The unvaccinated are still very much a danger to themselves, but also those around them as while breakthrough cases certainly happen, the vaccine does significantly lower your risk of getting COVID and thus your risk of catching it. Not as much as it did pre Omicron, but still significantly.

I'm not advocating those who are vaccinated continue to live like its April of 2020. I'm going out and doing things at this point. I ate breakfast at a VERY popular, VERY crowded place on Saturday. My server was not wearing a mask. I did until I got to my table, and I waited outside until my place in line was close to being up, but I still went. Even 6 months ago this would have seemed inconceivable, but now I go with it. I'm going to go see Doctor Strange 2 in a couple weeks. Not on opening night, I'll wait until its been out a week or so and then go to a day time showing, but I'm going to go do it. I'm moving into a new house in a week and I will have movers coming, who I'm not planning to make mask up because they'll be doing heavy physical work which I know might be tough with that. I will certainly be wearing one though and they are of course free to do so if they'd like to. (my hunch is they won't) I had 6 people over to my new place to see it last week. There's room to move on, but there's also room to still take precautions and try to limit exposure as much as you can. You still shouldn't want COVID, even vaccinated long COVID is a risk and can be pretty brutal.

Even beyond that though, I don't get the whole let's just forget about the last 2 years and go back to normal thing. Those who still aren't vaccinated (outside of those who medically can't of course or small children) spent the last year and change basically telling you that they don't care about your safety or health. They weren't willing to get a freaking shot to protect the people they love. Why would you want to forget that? I'm lucky that most of me and my wife's family got vaccinated, with the majority even being boosted now. Her dad and step mom though have continued to refuse to do so, so we continue not to see them. After we refused to see them and my wife got upset that they wouldn't get vaccinated, they also cut off contact by phone even, telling everyone they knew that my wife had disowned them. (Which was never said, or even implied) Why would we want to go back to having those people in our lives? When people show you who they are, believe them.

Last edited:

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If they don't care enough to get vaccinated, they don't really care about their grandkids. It's pretty simple. Ground rules have been set in place and you either follow them or you don't. If you don't, there are consequences. They're apparently not making an effort to reach out to the kids and talk to them in general, so I don't think your children are missing much by not interacting with them.

Ravager

Apr 11, 2022
Start a video stream of your child's birthday and invite your parents to participate online. Why not?

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They sound like a nightmare, but this reads more like you wanting to punish them for their dumb decision rather than a genuine safety concern. They shouldn't really pose much danger to vaxxed people, especially if you have them take a test before attending.

Children under 5 aren't able to be vaccinated, so there's not much that can be done for kids other than to minimize their exposure risks as much as possible.

Testing would be a good compromise, so long as it was a PCR test rather than the at-home version. Given OP's parents, I doubt they would be willing to do that either.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Honestly, sometimes it baffles me that families are being split because they have a different opinion about COVID.

My sister in law and her husband are incredible anti-vaxxers and they have the craziest conspiracy theories. However, outside of that they are still great, fun and good people. We never saw them at COVID peaks but when it's cooled down like right now we see them again.

And yes, they have some incredible idiotic ideas but I just ignore them when they talk about it for the 1% of our conversations and the other 99% of our conversations we have a great time. I really don't see why you shouldn't see certain family and friends anymore because they have a different opinion.

Life right now is much more normal when we are comparing it with the last 2 years? Aren't you going out again in public? Aren't you doing fun stuff with your children again outside of your home? If so, if your parents are good people outside of their stupid anti-vaxx ideas, why wouldn't you let them see their grandchildren?

Most people on ERA probably don't agree. But I rather forgive people their stupid ideas instead of excluding them from my life.
The ability to pretend anti-vaxxers ONLY have poor opinions about that ONE subject is one hell of a leisure huh?

Nov 19, 2019
This topic seems incredibly polarized when there's no need. The real question to the OP is: do you think it is important for your parents to have a relationship with your children? If you do, there are many ways to have such an interaction safely remotely or in person, even without your parents being vaccinated.

And it's ok if you are the one coming up with the suggestions. "They never asked" doesn't mean a whole lot, and it's a phase that often undercuts the the amount of control we have over our lives.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
This topic seems incredibly polarized when there's no need. The real question to the OP is: do you think it is important for your parents to have a relationship with your children? If you do, there are many ways to have such an interaction safely remotely or in person, even without your parents being vaccinated.

And it's ok if you are the one coming up with the suggestions. "They never asked" doesn't mean a whole lot, and it's a phase that often undercuts the the amount of control we have over our lives.
I don't think this is fair inasmuch as it seems clear the OP's parents don't want a relationship in the first place.

Jan 29, 2018

At this point the fear (for me at least) is way more about long Covid than it is death or hospitalization. The stats on that are a lot murkier but every time I hear about someone who had a mild case of Covid but still has fatigue and bouts of brain fog months later it scares the shit out of me.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
After how they've acted I wouldn't want them around even if they were vaccinated (and I'd make them cough up the receipts if they claimed to be). Stubborn, selfish assholes.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Sounds like the parents are neck-deep in FoxNews & Qanon conspiracy theories.

On top of not being vaxxed, I would be very wary of exposing your kids to their mindrot if they ever start babysitting them in 5 years or so.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they could just get the jab, OP shouldn't bend over backwards to accommodate insanity.
But normal gatherings with vaccinated people can still have required tests. I did that the past few get togethers when infection rates were high as shit.

i told my wife two negative tests and she was against it.
I don't understand. If they're negative, how are they harming your kids? Like I said above, I've hosted and attended events where you had to test negative, vaccine or no.

Well, good luck!

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Good on you for holding your ground OP. Don't give into their bullshit. It's amazing to me what people are willing to give up just so they don't have to get a fucking shot. I don't envy you or anyone else who has to put up with this shit.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Love the posters throwing shade at op for doing the best to keep their family safe. Good look.

Good on you sticking to their guns op. If they care as much as they act like they do they would have gotten their vaccines. They can pound sand. I have a similar hard line with some family members. Not budging.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao the line they threw in about all their friends being vaccinated makes it even worse. All the friends haven't spontaneously combusted from their shots, what reason do they have to not get vaccinated?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
People in this thread advocating for caving to anti-vaxxers because "family first" are strange to me.

If the grandparents don't respect OP's wishes or his family enough to get vaccinated, it goes beyond a public safety issue, and more about them just being assholes.

They can kick rocks.

Love the posters throwing shade at op for doing the best to keep their family safe. Good look.

Good on you sticking to their guns op. If they care as much as they act like they do they would have gotten their vaccines. They can pound sand. I have a similar hard line with some family members. Not budging.

OP and posts like these make me feel better. This happened to my wife and I JUST YESTERDAY. Her family wanted an Easter Lunch. Mother-in-law called the wife and asked her to come, and made a point to say that her brother (not vaccinated) will be there. She declined. Mother-in-law starts giving her shit that "everyone else is vaccinated so it's fine."

No....... no it's not "fine."

I made it a point to my family that I wouldn't go on vacations with them if my brother was going due to their anti-vax status. And my wife made it a point to her family about not being around her brother due to his. This was made clear 2 years ago. To the posters saying that we're "punishing" these family members at this point.......sure, fine. I'll concede that at this point, I most likely am. But why shouldn't I? They didn't do their part during the height of all this bullshit.....but they still want to reap the rewards of a familial relationship when we're the only ones putting in the effort? (This argument sounds awfully familiar) No, fuck that.

"Our family won't ever be together in the same place again" her father tried guilting my wife just a week ago. Like it's OUR fault. No. This "problem" can be easily rectified by one simple action and the onus is not on us.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
OP and posts like these make me feel better. This happened to my wife and I JUST YESTERDAY. Her family wanted an Easter Lunch. Mother-in-law called the wife and asked her to come, and made a point to say that her brother (not vaccinated) will be there. She declined. Mother-in-law starts giving her shit that "everyone else is vaccinated so it's fine."

No....... no it's not "fine."

I made it a point to my family that I wouldn't go on vacations with them if my brother was going due to their anti-vax status. And my wife made it a point to her family about not being around her brother due to his. This was made clear 2 years ago. To the posters saying that we're "punishing" these family members at this point.......sure, fine. I'll concede that at this point, I most likely am. But why shouldn't I? They didn't do their part during the height of all this bullshit.....but they still want to reap the rewards of a familial relationship when we're the only ones putting in the effort? (This argument sounds awfully familiar) No, fuck that.

"Our family won't ever be together in the same place again" her father tried guilting my wife just a week ago. Like it's OUR fault. No. This "problem" can be easily rectified by one simple action and the onus is not on us.
"Why won't you let us continue to be selfish and only think of ourselves!"

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the posters saying that we're "punishing" these family members at this point.......sure, fine. I'll concede that at this point, I most likely am. But why shouldn't I? They didn't do their part during the height of all this bullshit.....but they still want to reap the rewards of a familial relationship when we're the only ones putting in the effort? (This argument sounds awfully familiar) No, fuck that.

That's fine. If you feel you need to punish them, punish them. Only you know your family and your situation well enough to make that determination. I've been in countless similar situations and eventually learnt that all these pyrrhic victories were not really worth it and resulted in me punishing myself at least as much as the person who wronged me. I'm glad I realised this before it was too late, but everyone's situations are different.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
But normal gatherings with vaccinated people can still have required tests. I did that the past few get togethers when infection rates were high as shit.

I don't understand. If they're negative, how are they harming your kids? Like I said above, I've hosted and attended events where you had to test negative, vaccine or no.

Well, good luck!

Because you don't know they're negative. Rapid tests/home tests are much less accurate with Omicron and even before that, there was generally a several day period near the beginning where you could still test negative and be contagious. You could take 100 tests and it wouldn't necessarily mean you actually didn't have COVID. It's why we keep seeing these events where everyone has to test still turn into spreading events, like the recent Gridiron Club dinner in Washington.

Testing is certainly better than nothing. It will catch a lot of people who are positive. It doesn't mean you don't have it in any definitive way. It's only lowering the odds, not ruling them out. And not in one of those 99/1% lowering the odds sort of ways, but more in a 60/40% sort of way.

Combine testing and vaccination and you start getting to a pretty good place. Just testing, definitely better than nothing but still not that great.

Oct 27, 2017
It's your family and what they're doing is completely unreasonable on a number of levels. Stand your ground or they'll just keep not respecting boundaries.

OP
OP
captive

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
That's fine. If you feel you need to punish them, punish them. Only you know your family and your situation well enough to make that determination. I've been in countless similar situations and eventually learnt that all these pyrrhic victories were not really worth it and resulted in me punishing myself at least as much as the person who wronged me. I'm glad I realised this before it was too late, but everyone's situations are different.
let me guess, both parties just move on like nothing is wrong and yall pretend to be happy around each other?

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
It's your family and what they're doing is completely unreasonable on a number of levels. Stand your ground or they'll just keep not respecting boundaries.
I think this is important too. It isn't just this issue. This is them not respecting ops boundaries. And it's important that that's a them problem. Not an op problem.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Because you don't know they're negative. Rapid tests/home tests are much less accurate with Omicron and even before that, there was generally a several day period near the beginning where you could still test negative and be contagious. You could take 100 tests and it wouldn't necessarily mean you actually didn't have COVID. It's why we keep seeing these events where everyone has to test still turn into spreading events, like the recent Gridiron Club dinner in Washington.

Testing is certainly better than nothing. It will catch a lot of people who are positive. It doesn't mean you don't have it in any definitive way. It's only lowering the odds, not ruling them out. And not in one of those 99/1% lowering the odds sort of ways, but more in a 60/40% sort of way.

Combine testing and vaccination and you start getting to a pretty good place. Just testing, definitely better than nothing but still not that great.
I guess I don't know what it's like to have crazy grandparents. Because if it were me, married with a 7 year old daughter, I want her grands and my grands to be in her life as much as possible. A lot of my grandparents have already passed away, and my grandmother, who turned 80 recently, is vaccinated and boosted.

But if she wasn't, I'd just test her and move on. We have precious little time on this Earth and I'd like to make the most of it by not "punishing" my old ass grandparents. But everyone's family is different and only they can navigate that situation.

I wish captive the best and hope his grands fucking get over it and get the vaccine.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I guess I don't know what it's like to have crazy grandparents. Because if it were me, married with a 7 year old daughter, I want her grands and my grands to be in her life as much as possible. A lot of my grandparents have already passed away, and my grandmother, who turned 80 recently, is vaccinated and boosted.

But if she wasn't, I'd just test her and move on. We have precious little time on this Earth and I'd like to make the most of it by not "punishing" my old ass grandparents. But everyone's family is different and only they can navigate that situation.

I wish captive the best and hope his grands fucking get over it and get the vaccine.

Not wanting to punish someone does little to avoid the spread of a deadly disease, or keep your family safe.

I also think the framing you're using is really disingenuous. OP isn't punishing them, they're punishing themselves. The OP has set a boundary, a completely reasonable and easy to meet one. They could meet that boundary any time they choose, quickly and easily. That they won't do so is no one but their own fault.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Not wanting to punish someone does little to avoid the spread of a deadly disease, or keep your family safe.

I also think the framing you're using is really disingenuous. OP isn't punishing them, they're punishing themselves. The OP has set a boundary, a completely reasonable and easy to meet one. They could meet that boundary any time they choose, quickly and easily. That they won't do so is no one but their own fault.
Call it what you want. To me, to say no after two negative tests feels like a punishment for not getting the vaccine.

OP
OP
captive

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Call it what you want. To me, to say no after two negative tests feels like a punishment for not getting the vaccine.
how do you know they'd be willing to get two negative tests?

just for some context, they used to have season tickets to the Astros, last year after they said fans will be allowed back in, but with masks on. My mom said "well im just gonna sit with a diet coke the whole time so i dont have to wear my mask"

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
how do you know they'd be willing to get two negative tests?

just for some context, they used to have season tickets to the Astros, last year after they said fans will be allowed back in, but with masks on. My mom said "well im just gonna sit with a diet coke the whole time so i dont have to wear my mask"
I don't know if they'd be willing. It wasn't offered to them, right? I doubt they'd do it after that context (wow) but it's fully putting the ball in their court.

Are they even pleasant to be around?

OP
OP
captive

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Are they even pleasant to be around?
yes.

but they have little interaction with my kids. Like they want them to come over and be in their house, but their house is filled with antiques and so the kids have to be careful around everything. They dont have activities planned to do anything.
In fact its rather annoying, cause they now live on a golf course so you can step outside the back and within 70 or so feet you're literally on a fairway.

Daniagatha

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2018
Brazil
It's sad to see people dismissing COVID with " oh, we have the least death since x!!" like.....it stil is a fucking pandemic!!!

an average of 488 deaths per day is still fucking high.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
At least there's that.
but they have little interaction with my kids. Like they want them to come over and be in their house, but their house is filled with antiques and so the kids have to be careful around everything. They dont have activities planned to do anything.
In fact its rather annoying, cause they now live on a golf course so you can step outside the back and within 70 or so feet you're literally on a fairway.
That sounds annoying. Another issue on top of this. Having no activities is one thing, but the golf course is worrying. I'd almost be more concerned about this… gotta make the kids wear helmets out there.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
You should stand your ground. Committing suicide by hugging grandchildren is not something you need to become an accomplice to.

their lackadaisical attitude towards mortality is dangerous.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I am on the OP side with this. I go further though lol. If you're age/health able to get vaccinated, then get it, or don't come over to my house. End.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
I avoid folks who avoid the vaccine.

makes good sense.

you've done the right thing OP.

also wondering about the people here who seem concerned with the notion of "punishing" the grandparents. there are a million different examples in most cultures of irresponsible behaviors having social consequences. not to mention that a more organized and concerted effort to punish unvaccinated people in the first place might have saved hundreds of thousands of lives.

Last edited:

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I agree with you and honestly respect that email was I honestly would have probably been a little bit more emotional and not as concise.

I don't have kids but I'm close with a cousin of mine who is a custody of a couple of my second cousins and lately one of them got sick so they've been very protective since then.

My mother insist on trying to visit but he is thoughtfully anti-vax and give her things like colloidal silver and Bull shit like that. Both myself and my cousin have told her no uncertain terms that there would be no way and my cousin who's a bit more hot headed than I actually went a little bit more personal with her, but I honestly understand.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Good for you OP. Everyone has a level of safety they are willing to accept, and while my wife and I don't have children, we have the same philosophy. My wife's family is largely anti-vax, conspiracy theory nutjobs. My brother-in-law's wife died of COVID on New Years' Day this year (the whole family got it, she got it the worst), and he still won't get the vaccine (there was a short period after her death where he seemed to be considering it, but that has since gone by the wayside). I had to work, so I couldn't go, but my wife refused to attend her "celebration of life" ceremony because they were all unvaccinated and she didn't want to even risk the low chance of catching it or, god forbid, passing it on to someone else.

It's your kids, your house, your rules.