• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great. I'm looking forward to reading some impressions from you guys, as I had never heard of this game up until today.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have to leave soon but I booted it up for five minutes to tinker around with it, and the game controls like a dream. It feels exactly like the guys who made Rayman Origins were all over it.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
ive been following this game since its announcement and somehow never knew it was ex-rayman people behind it. just thought it was heavily inspired by lol

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Few issues:
It detects the virtual controller set up by PC Remote receiver as P1 - cant change/remove it so that's annoying.
Locked to 60 fps - this should go higher. Maybe there's a way to unlock in config files?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
in 2017. theres a billion games coming out these days is it really that shocking you missed one by a small team
"Ex-Rayman devs" would have sparked at least a little visibility/buzz over that time period though, you would think. I loved both Origins and Legends, and this is the first time I've heard of this game as well. LOL

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the trailer I was expecting Ubisoft logo at the end of it. The artstyle looks so similar to the recent Rayman games.

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
Does this have online co-op? Steam page mentions online multiplayer but doesn't specify if that's co-op though.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Glad the post says by ex rayman devs, cause I saw the trailer and thought to myself, this looks like Legends, checked dev, not Ubisoft, so I thought they just ripped off UbiArt

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Played the first two levels. Fun game so far. The combo based combat is interesting, but not sure how it will develop over the game. All the characters are fun and unique, but you can pretty much play one except for certain character specific puzzles.

Graphics and sound are really good. Wish more games were set in Asian mythology (Jade empire 2 plz).

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Wow never heard of this, mainly just want to know how it runs on switch cuz this game looks amazing

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
How are people with a keyboard and controller playing this - its impossible cause the keyboard is given P1 and the controller P2. You cannot change P1 to use the controller, seems that's locked in for some reason. Kinda silly...

Ok works now - restart! Still trynna figure out the 60 fps lock though.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Hold up... did someone just say Rayman?
Yeah the game looks a lot like Rayman Legends so I'm game.
Well maybe not right now.
Now's Resimake 2 time.
After that I'm down.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
When I saw the trailer I went "Oh, this is some Rayman ass Rayman!" (That's a positive btw), so pumped to see it's some of the developers behind that. Those two new games were such a good time, definitely will check this out.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Looks incredible, but that name is terrible. "Unruly Heroes"? That was the best they could come up with?

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I've been following this game for a while now. A bit surprised there is no PS4 version yet but apparently it's coming. I love platformers like Rayman but this seems more combat than platform focused? Interested to read impressions and reviews in any case.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Had to buy it because I love Rayman Origins/Legends, especially as they were really fun to play cooperatively with my wife and in general two of the best 2D platformers of all time. If you removed the combat it would look and feel almost exactly like a Rayman game: the level design, the animations, the artstyle, certain mechanics like reviving your partner by smashing a floating bubble, hidden areas, the overall look and feel...simply amazing. So far it seems that always two of the the four characters share a similar move set (for example two can double-jump, two have floaty jumps), which makes a lot of sense if you play cooperatively, so everyone has access to all options. However, in certain situations you have to make use of a character-specific power like smashing through walls for example.

If you enjoyed any of the last two Rayman games or Trine...buy this!

Edit: Got the Switch version and haven't experienced any performance issues so far.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This looks really interesting.

How hard is it? Any idea of how long, too?

We might not get a new Rayman game soon but it seems their devs are still bringing us nice games even out of ubisoft.

First it was Splasher which i recommend for any fan of platforms and now this.

Splasher was awesome. I had a lot of fun with that one. Wish I'd finished it, but do plan to go back.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here are my impressions after about an hour of gameplay; It's not bad, but...

- The characters don't have as strong a visual identity as Rayman Origins.
- It's a little all over the place. There's some brawling and some platforming and some puzzles and it doesn't really come together to form a cohesive whole as well I wanted it to. The characters move a little too slow and the puzzles are, at least early on, just Press X To Advance.
- The game really should have pulled a Super Mario Bros. 2 and made each of the four characters vastly different to each other. This system where two characters have a glide and two characters have a double jump I don't even understand.

That said, I don't regret my purchase and there's lots good about it. It is genuinely visually stunning and achieves a beautiful painted 2D look with what I assume is a 3D engine, it throws some clever puzzles at you requiring multiple characters to utilize their abilities, and the brawler gameplay is actually really fun. The characters aren't super distinct from each other but they have enough individuality to at least keep things interesting. Wukong has far reach, the monk has good anti air, while the pig is good for getting up close.

Also the wolf enemies have these pathetic little whimpers when you hit them and it makes me sad.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Here are my impressions after about an hour of gameplay; It's not bad, but...

- The characters don't have as strong a visual identity as Rayman Origins.
- It's a little all over the place. There's some brawling and some platforming and some puzzles and it doesn't really come together to form a cohesive whole as well I wanted it to. The characters move a little too slow and the puzzles are, at least early on, just Press X To Advance.
- The game really should have pulled a Super Mario Bros. 2 and made each of the four characters vastly different to each other. This system where two characters have a glide and two characters have a double jump I don't even understand.

That said, I don't regret my purchase and there's lots good about it. It is genuinely visually stunning and achieves a beautiful painted 2D look with what I assume is a 3D engine, it throws some clever puzzles at you requiring multiple characters to utilize their abilities, and the brawler gameplay is actually really fun. The characters aren't super distinct from each other but they have enough individuality to at least keep things interesting. Wukong has far reach, the monk has good anti air, while the pig is good for getting up close.

Also the wolf enemies have these pathetic little whimpers when you hit them and it makes me sad.
Thanks for that! Did you get it on Switch? How's the performance?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Haven't seen anyone with Switch footage of the game after it's release, but here's a gameplay demo from Gamescom a few months back:

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Love the Journey to the West aesthetic. I've been looking forward to this game for quite a bit now so it's a nice to see how it just did an random release out of nowhere. Also kind of cool they added Vs mode though haven't tried it yet. I'm about 10 minutes into the game so far up to the third and it's visually great. Plays fairly great and kind of like Rayman in a way but using different character abilities to progress. I've got it on the Switch. It runs well so far in game though there are a few minor slow downs not usually in gameplay but changing between cutscenes. Hope the rest is just as good

ginnokane

Oct 28, 2017
I can also second this.
I only played in handheld.

Seems to run well without any issue for now.
Thanks for the impressions. Looking for a bit more nitty gritty details on the switch version before jumping in:

Can anyone measure (or does anyone know):
FPS docked and portable?
Resolution docked and portable?

Also, I haven't seen a review mention, but how much content/levels are there compared to, say, Rayman Legends? If it's even half as many levels/platforming, it's a hell of a good deal at $19.99.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, Unity, that means often long loading times and choppy framerate.

Unity games should be always "a wait for reviews thing".

lcap

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, thanks for the impressions, would you recommend it for a single player exclusively experience?

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Weiss for your detailed impressions! I'll be very interested to read how you like it as you continue playing. BTW, do you happen to have a link or pic to the part with the wolf enemies part? Just was curious about that.

When I saw the trailer I went "Oh, this is some Rayman ass Rayman!" (That's a positive btw), so pumped to see it's some of the developers behind that. Those two new games were such a good time, definitely will check this out.
Had to buy it because I love Rayman Origins/Legends, especially as they were really fun to play cooperatively with my wife and in general two of the best 2D platformers of all time. If you removed the combat it would look and feel almost exactly like a Rayman game: the level design, the animations, the artstyle, certain mechanics like reviving your partner by smashing a floating bubble, hidden areas, the overall look and feel...simply amazing. So far it seems that always two of the the four characters share a similar move set (for example two can double-jump, two have floaty jumps), which makes a lot of sense if you play cooperatively, so everyone has access to all options. However, in certain situations you have to make use of a character-specific power like smashing through walls for example.

If you enjoyed any of the last two Rayman games or Trine...buy this!

Edit: Got the Switch version and haven't experienced any performance issues so far.

Thanks for the impressions! I just wanted to mention to both you that since you liked Rayman Origins and Legends so well, you would probably like Splasher a lot. It's from ex-Rayman devs and is just so awesome. Someone mentioned it on the previous page but I just wanted to mention it again in case you didn't see. I wrote a long LTTP to it that I'll link here.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/lt...e-played-since-dktf-and-rayman-origins.20206/

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Weiss for your detailed impressions! I'll be very interested to read how you like it as you continue playing. BTW, do you happen to have a link or pic to the part with the wolf enemies part? Just was curious about that.

They're standard anthro violent wolfmen but when you hit them they sound like a dog getting smacked. It's a little weird.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So out of nowhere the game just turned into Oddworld. It was the best level so far too.

So here's some more impressions after the first world: I think this game should have been a purely single player adventure starring Wukong. He's by far the most fun character to play as with his crazy range and speed, his double jump make him more maneuverable than the Monk or the Pig, plus it's Sun Wukong, yo. He's really the only character with a strong and iconic visual identity in the game, and the zoomed out camera to compensate for multiplayer means you never really get a good grasp of him or the action.

Last edited:

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
So out of nowhere the game just turned into Oddworld. It was the best level so far too.

So here's some more impressions after the first world: I think this game should have been a purely single player adventure starring Wukong. He's by far the most fun character to play as with his crazy range and speed, his double jump make him more maneuverable than the Monk or the Pig, plus it's Sun Wukong, yo. He's really the only character with a strong and iconic visual identity in the game, and the zoomed out camera to compensate for multiplayer means you never really get a good grasp of him or the action.

Oh, does the camera stay zoomed out even in SP? I don't remember if the Rayman games did that.

Also, never played Oddworld, so can I ask what you mean?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, does the camera stay zoomed out even in SP? I don't remember if the Rayman games did that.

Also, never played Oddworld, so can I ask what you mean?

No it's all zoomed out. Makes it hard to get a clear visual of your character.

Oddworld's central mechanic is possessing enemies to solve puzzles. In the last level of UH I possessed a wolf enemy which opened up an entirely new set of gameplay mechanics based on throwing spears and controlling other wolf enemies. It was honestly really cool and I hope the game continues to display that level of creativity.