• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
The Grand Theft Auto PSP games were all great. Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, Chinatown Wars.

I really hope the rumoured GTA Trilogy remasters opens the door for LCS and VCS remasters too.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great thread!

GTA: Chinatown Wars

Spider-Man: Shattered Memories DS

Resident Evil Gaiden (IT WAS A GOOD STORY YOU GUYS)

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
The Grand Theft Auto PSP games were all great. Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, Chinatown Wars.

I really hope the rumoured GTA Trilogy remasters opens the door for LCS and VCS remasters too.
I hope. I've been wanting to try Vice City Stories again after trying it on PSP and hating how it controlled.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance + Tactics Advance 2 and Birth By Sleep.

Also Type-0 on PSP in Japanese was my favorite FF experience from that era of SE games. (Fuck the localization + PS4 port which ruined the game's ambiance and story).

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing through Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep for the first time at the moment and it's incredible. Have to imagine it would have been even more inpressive playing it on PSP.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep for the first time at the moment and it's incredible. Have to imagine it would have been even more inpressive playing it on PSP.

It was! It was loads of fun. Also if you knew people with the game, you could do Mirage Arena with them. I remember playing it in my community college's library with my friend whenever we had a break.

Roli

Apr 16, 2018
Sony had great secondary studios that developed solid portable entries to notable franchises.

Killzone Liberation/Mercenary, Resistance Retribution, God of War Ghost of Sparta/Chains of Olympus and Uncharted Golden Abyss all served as great portable entries into each respective IP.

It's a shame that their portable business is gone now because those games were great.

Then there's Resistance Burning Skies... we don't talk about that.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Where my Harry Potter and TPS/TCoS GBC gang at?
What uuuuuup

vermuno.gif

These games were awesome, basically just Final Fantasy clones with HP trappings. I would have played through the whole series like this.

The third game on GBA was supposed to follow a similar formula (same developer) but per a dev recollection (either here or on GAF), EA didn't trust the GBC development team to make the most of the GBA hardware and meddled with the process, producing a mediocre rushjob. None of the other handheld games ended up trying the JRPG route for the series.

Sonic Colours is actually a great, more modern, example here and one I was looking at recently! I played the Wii game at launch but somehow totally sidestepped the fact that there was a DS version, obviously a unique version of the game by a different developer, not a port.

s-l300.jpg
The handheld games were Sonic's saving grace for a while, ngl. It's easy to crap on Dimps (especially after the disastrous Sonic 4) but their games were legitimately better than Sonic Team's at the time.

EagerUglyHydra-max-1mb.gif
(Sonic Pocket Adventure on Neo Geo Pocket Color)

LimpingLegitimateBlackbird-size_restricted.gif
(the Sonic Advance series on... Game Boy Advance)

i58QBopZEFcNq.gif
(Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure on the Nintendo DS)

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Sony had great secondary studios that developed solid portable entries to notable franchises.

Killzone Liberation/Mercenary, Resistance Retribution, God of War Ghost of Sparta/Chains of Olympus and Uncharted Golden Abyss all served as great portable entries into each respective IP.

It's a shame that their portable business is gone now because those games were great.

Then there's Resistance Burning Skies... we don't talk about that.

Yes I think the PSP is king in this regard.

BlueBrand

Oct 28, 2017
Medal of Honor - Infiltrator - it's generally a top down stealth/action shooter and just a fantastic game that I would recommend to anyone. Easily in my top 10 GBA games.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
The God of War's on PSP were amazing.

Uncharted on Vita was really good.

Minish Cap on GBA (really sad we haven't got a port of this to another system).

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Considering the series started on consoles, technically Fire Emblem Awakening counts towards this, and it is amazing.

Also, obviously, Link's Awakening.

Mario Kart DS might also be the best in the series?

I hope more devs/publishers give Indies the rights to their franchises to do smaller projects with. It's the only way stuff like these games will live on.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised there's been no mention as of yet of Donkey Kong Land. Particularly the first game was a big departure from the console titles with its own world themes (the cloud world + the city / skycraper world) and level design. The others tried to stick closer to being reinterpretations of the console games with closer worlds and level design, but they were still at least somewhat doing their own thing.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Man, as someone whose first console was a handheld, and my favorite consoles growing up we're handhelds (GB, GBA, PSP) this thread has induced serious nostalgia for a time that we may never get back again. Most, if not all of my shoutouts have been already been said, but anyways:

• Mario Land 2 (first game I ever beat)
  • Killzone Liberation
  • Metal Gear Acid (both were great)
  • Medal of Honor: Infiltrator (hard but fun top down shooter on gba)
  • Resistance Retribution was fantastic and made Resistance 2 better by proxy. I ate up everything that series made (SIDE NOTE: Anyone remember the Resistance Web game that was launched in anticipation of the original Resistance FOM? Shit was bonkers)
  • Socom Fireteam Bravo (Tactical shooter ala Full Spectrum Warrior)
I know there are more but that's all I can think of for now.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Thanks guys, this really is a treasure trove of games already with plenty I didn't even know.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
This game still gets played by me on a regular basis:

81QAcrlo%2BKL._SX342_.jpg

Afterburner: Black Falcon on PSP is a surprisingly good one I don't see many, if any people talk about:

1524204241-3771280048.jpg

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Despite starting out looking just like a Gradius port it quickly diverges from that with its own levels and unique bosses for each stage:
o3vNXT_2Jh27nvYhHtH6ROOjZnGWCuQzaKlVWJ-Fwk0o9b9Ci2kqI9TtFz5mH_N2Vm0L5Z_wmNcvWRQHSt3DcubU214ZSJAKgkOPWd3kXMOqQ61lmhIKr-wD

The sequel goes further, with levels transitioning into each other to give you an actual sense of them being connected instead of jumping around randomly.
220px-NemesisIIJPBoxShotGameBoy.jpg

Lufia : The Legend Returns on the game boy color:

NmrYeiO.jpg

Had a cool unique battle system
That game was terrible... A super simplistic random dungeon generator, later dungeons simply have it make more and more floors until you just get sick of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Capcom's got a nice few here and there:
Bionic Commando got a GBC game that takes the basic premise of the NES game and then made a GBC exclusive spinoff. If you like classic BC gameplay, its worth tracking down.

Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins was a long time coming sequel to the GnG series that'd be mainly dormant for many a year. But its a fairly well known game comparatively speaking - so what about Ultimate GnG Kai that was released in Asia? Its the same basic game as Ultimate GnG but it its main mode tweaks the game design so that you are back to having fixed check points, and only two hits worth of damage before you die - the upshot is that there are less enemies in levels, and enemy spawning is drastically reduced to compensate. The shitty ring fetch quest for the best ending is axed, in their place is a slightly harder second run through of the game (with the witch boss fight placed between the first and second runs). So basically - it refines and improves upon the original Ultimate GnG giving me a much more fun and balanced game. And as a bonus, the original version of the game is available in Kai as well, if you'd rather play that version.

Sticking with GnG, did you know it got a Wonderswan version/sequel? Its a pretty decent game as well, all things considered. I've not finished it yet, but if you want more GnG, its well worth tracking down.

And sticking with the Wonderswan - Mega Man got two of them - Rockman and Forte (which despite its name, IS NOT a port of the Super Famicom game but rather an all new sequel) and Rockman.exe

RM&F is pretty garbage though. Its got all new bosses and levels (fear the mighty Compass Man!) and honestly, its hard to say anything positive about it. It looks bad, sounds bad, plays bad.

Rockman.exe though is way better. Its not an RPG but a platformer like Network Transmission on the Gamecube. It sorta takes inspiration from the first two EXE games - each main level of the game will have a point where the path diverges - one path goes up, the other down. Depending which path you take, takes you to a completely different area and is themed around a specific navi. At the end of each path you get a unique boss fight against a net navi. Clear the game by beating Life Virus and you can then replay the game and if you take alternate routes on each level (basically - make sure you beat each unique navi) you'll get a real final boss after the Life Virus - Gospel. And then if you can clear the hardest survival/boss rush mode you can fight Forte. Only thing that lets it down a bit is the controls and sound. But well worth a look.

Stepping away from Capcom, and over to my other favourite series - Yakuza, I'd be silly to not mention that the PSP got two brilliant Yakuza spinoffs that remain exclusive to the system to this day:

Kurohyou 1&2 are games that follow the delinquent Tatsuya as he gets caught up in a war between the Tojo Clan, shady government conspiracies, and even an east vs west fight between Kanto and Kansai fighters.
Content wise, its Yakuza - Kamurocho is in both games, Sotenbori returns for the sequel, tons of mini games that you have come to expect from the series as well as new gambling games, part time jobs (dream no more of being a bouncer for Club Shine or working at Smile Burger!), combat wise its done by the same team that handled Def Jam Vendetta/Fight For New York (and it translates to Yakuza incredibly well), excellent soundtracks, and interesting plots that use a cool animated comic book style as opposed to full blown FMV cutscenes.
Its really impressive just how much is crammed onto the system - especially the sequel. And fights run in 60FPS! If you want Yakuza on the go, these are the best choices available!

Its a really overlooked gem, in my opinion - I was expecting it to basically be a GB port of the NES game but to my surprise it was its own thing - clearly taking the NES game as inspiration but not outright copying it level for level. I still remember how badly the last level kicked my ass - that bit where your grappling from rocket booster to rocket booster, with a bottomless pit under you... took me many a try to clear!

I didn't know that the team that made the Def Jam series helped with the combat in the PSP Yakuza games. This is the sort of valuable information that should be plastered all over their front covers lol. Or maybe it was, I don't understand any of this writing

Yakuza_PSP.jpg

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
WonderSwan was a strange beast.
On one hand it packed the same ethos as the Game Boy (low price point, no overly powerful hardware yet capable enough, long battery life), on the other hand it attracted the kind of franchises that at the time were hosted on PS1 on the home console front (think of Klonoa, the Tekken spin off, NanaOn-Sha's exclusive rhythm game, Squaresoft handheld games available at the time solely on it).
In a way it could be said that WonderSwan was sort of a precursor of the PlayStation portable line, so much that even Sony own properties like Xi [sai] (Devil Dice) appeared on Bandai handheld console.

What once was Sony most popular RPG franchise in Japan had an exclusive chapter called Arc the Lad: Kijin Fukkatsu developed exclusively for WonderSwan which to these days remains bound to that console.
The game displays some of the very best graphics for the system and due to the earlier Arc the Lad games looking like SNES games on steroids and the small screen, it's remarkably close to the PlayStation original source material.

28824_back.jpg

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
WonderSwan was a strange beast.
On one hand it packed the same ethos as the Game Boy (low price point, no overly powerful hardware yet capable enough, long battery life), on the other hand it attracted the kind of franchises that at the time were hosted on PS1 on the home console front (think of Klonoa, the Tekken spin off, NanaOn-Sha's exclusive rhythm game, Squaresoft handheld games available at the time solely on it).
In a way it could be said that WonderSwan was sort of a precursor of the PlayStation portable line, so much that even Sony own properties like Xi [sai] (Devil Dice) appeared on Bandai handheld console.

What once was Sony most popular RPG franchise in Japan had an exclusive chapter called Arc the Lad: Kijin Fukkatsu developed exclusively for WonderSwan which to these days remains bound to that console.
The game displays some of the very best graphics for the system and due to the earlier Arc the Lad games looking like SNES games on steroids and the small screen, it's remarkably close to the PlayStation original source material.

28824_back.jpg

Very interesting, that does sound like the PSP 0.5. Don't have any experience with the system sadly but definitely sounds like something I would have loved to have owned.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
Off the top of my head:

Donkey Kong '94: what if the original arcade game got a billion more stages and gave mario such a ginormous moveset that several levels can be beaten in multiple ways despite being puzzly in nature? This is what you get. I also think mario wouldn't have half his repertoire in Sm64 if not for this.

Turok: The hunter of dinosaurs got a commendably competent side scrolling spinoff on the Game Boy. Nothing groundbreaking, but I have nostalgia for it anyway.

Sneaky Snakes: Another sidescrolling Game Boy spin off, but this time of the isometric NES platformer Snake, Rattle n' Roll. I admit to never finishing this game as it was brutally hard for me as a child. Should rematch it someday.

Shining Soul: I may be mistaken but I think this game and its sequel are the only ARPGs in the Shining series. Great fun and co-developed by Grasshopper Manufacture, which is a nice bit of pub quiz trivia.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I didn't know that the team that made the Def Jam series helped with the combat in the PSP Yakuza games. This is the sort of valuable information that should be plastered all over their front covers lol. Or maybe it was, I don't understand any of this writing

Yakuza_PSP.jpg
An english patch is being worked on but it's not finished yet

louris

Oct 27, 2017
There was a Harry Potter game on gane boy that was waaay too good for its own good.

I don't even mention Link's Awakening because it has a unique status of its own and it is too obvious of a choice.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
An english patch is being worked on but it's not finished yet
Half correct. An English patch for the main plot exists, and has been leaked, but its no longer being worked on (I've spoken to the actual translator who wrote the English translation, and he's mentioned that the modders who were working on the game, aren't anymore).

Its unfortunate, but the game as is, is just about playable in English if you focus on the main plot. But its incredibly unstable and has a tendancy to crash. Not to mention all non story text is just random characters, which can cause more crashes in certain spots.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I loved Tomb Raider The Prophecy for GBA back in the day.

I remember this game but i think i only played it briefly. Earlier in the thread i said PSP is the king of these types of games but i think GBA is probably more kinglier. It had Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, Crash, Tekken and a freaking REALLY good Tony Hawks game. I think it was Pro Skater 2.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Half correct. An English patch for the main plot exists, and has been leaked, but its no longer being worked on (I've spoken to the actual translator who wrote the English translation, and he's mentioned that the modders who were working on the game, aren't anymore).

Its unfortunate, but the game as is, is just about playable in English if you focus on the main plot. But its incredibly unstable and has a tendancy to crash. Not to mention all non story text is just random characters, which can cause more crashes in certain spots.
Bummer :(

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
220px-Perfect_Dark_%28handheld%29_Coverart.png

Woahly shit, anyone play this? I must've finished this game back in the day and i remember enjoying it a lot but i completely forgot it existed.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Great thread. Made me realise that with Switch being a hybrid and only portable, we will see games like this less and less if not ever again.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Where do games like Kirby Canvas Curse and Mass Attack fit into this? Some say they're spinoffs just cause they control very differently from the rest of the series and lack the usual inhale to powerup thing, its not like the very first Kirby game would be considered traditional either.

The Phantasy Star Portable games were mentioned and are very good, but Phantasy Star Ø also exists and is okay enough. One of those rare 3D marvels for the DS.

Oh cool, there are other peoples that can admit to liking Okamiden! Its super cute and fun.

Shining Soul: I may be mistaken but I think this game and its sequel are the only ARPGs in the Shining series. Great fun and co-developed by Grasshopper Manufacture, which is a nice bit of pub quiz trivia.
Yeah the Shining Soul games are great! And then basically ever """Shining"""" game after 'em were also ARPGs but crap.

Last edited:

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I absolutely adore my Switch and am swimming in games to play on it....

but this is one of my greatest disappointments of it! I want more handheld style games!

Sandynocheeks

Feb 16, 2019
Great thread. Several people have mentioned already but the PSP had some absolute bangers when it came to portable entries.

Syphon Filter Dark Mirror
Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow

Star Wars Battlefront Elite Squadron - Portable version of the classic Battlefront series. Features the repurposed story and gameplay elements from the cancelled Battlefront III

Prinny - a spin-off of the Disgaea series which was recently remastered and put on switch