• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'll give them some slack because the NDA was so heavy it prevented them from talking about the game fully. But that's exactly why I was happy for the game to come out so we can get some actually thoughtful criticism like this and not the vague buyer's guide we got when the NDA released.

Vague buyer's guide is a great descriptor. I think half the problem with video game reviews is that we are conflating vague buyer's guides with critical analysis which have two completely different goals.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Haven't watched it yet, but you guys should also check out their full playthrough. It's pretty great. It hit them hard. Matt even talks about that while doing the playthrough he was having hard times sleeping at night because of how much the game was affecting him.
Can you please send a link. Would love to watch it

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I have to admit I was overtly negative toward this channel once it seemed like they were pandering to the 'gamer' Youtube crowd with some of their review jokes. It seems to be unavoidable that once you reach a certain status you're just in the Boogie/Pewdiepie/Jontron orbit so at the first sign of trouble I didn't give them the benefit of the doubt.

I apologize. My disparaging remarks were uncalled for. This was a very well thought out and empathtic take when they could have easily "both sides" a joke review without pissing off some of their fan base. Its sad you have to give kudos to people for just being decent but since it happens so rarely its worth pointing out.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Can you please send a link. Would love to watch it

Part 1
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Part 2
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Part 3
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Part 4
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That was a great review, can also reccomend sitting down and watching their thoughts directly after they beat the game as well, they bring up a lot of good points.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Part 1
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Part 2
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Part 3
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Part 4
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Thank u very much . Which one would u recommend me to watch where it has alot of their commentary ?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what a review. I've been a fan of theirs since their first video and this is by far the best they've done.

And I have to echo everything this review said.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
You know it's a great analysis/review when it manages to give you a better understanding of your own feelings. Bravo to them, it really articulates what I felt as a player.
And in under 10 minutes damn.

And kudos to naughty dog for not being afraid of trying, taking risks and making you feel like shit sometimes. It's time videogames diversify from the tipical template of pure gratification. Not saying they are the first studio to do it obviously, but cinema and litterature have ben making harrowing and unpleasant narratives for a long time, and the videogame industry still has to figure this one out imo.

I really don't know why gamers feel the need to pour so much hate on things they don't like/where not meant for them. For some reason it seems it's the only art/industry where it is considered a requirement to have your product cater to everyone.

My guess is this game is gonna age like fine wine.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Phenomenal breakdown of the story.

Only a game can pull off this type of story telling and I'm grateful ND took this risk.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
God, the point about the difference between the plot and story and how they compare the first game to this one in terms of "the whole point of the first game was to develop a cure for zombies and they didn't do that in the first game either" is fucking fantastic. This is an amazing review, and I think this is a video that needs to be shown when someone says this game doesn't have anything to say.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Agreed. They took a massive risk that's just going to pay off for some and not for others. Some of it is blind hatred, some of it is fans that are disappointed with the narrative. I love this video though, people that dislike the game need to be more mindful before they say stuff like "it has lazy writing" or a "bad plot".

Oct 27, 2017
Good analysis, the "challenge to the player." And I respect her real-life perspective as brought to bear with this game.

A whole bunch of people outright but unknowingly rejected the challenge outright the moment they found out the "icon" would be killed. Many more others embraced the challenge once it was revealed to them, and even some others declared the challenge to be the most valuable part of the game.

But as they say, every "miracle" has its price. (No, the price was not "Joel')

That "not done in games before" challenge to the player came at the expense of Ellie unexpectedly having to share half the game's spotlight with a kick-ass, no-nonsense protag - in a style, if not person, we've played in countless games before. And this unexpected challenger to our expectations was awarded the aspirational outlook, not our returning champion. Some who still willingly took this challenge are feeling this price paid more than others, and I respect that.

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Im absolutely terrible at putting my thoughts into words but this review echoes alot of my feelings about the game. Well done.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
If you haven't played this game and plan to, don't look at this video at all. Light spoilers are one thing, but this ruins nearly every surprise about the game. It not only tells you, but shows you.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you haven't played this game and plan to, don't look at this video at all. Light spoilers are one thing, but this ruins nearly every surprise about the game. It not only tells you, but shows you.

I think it's already abundantly clear that you shouldn't be seeking out analysis of the entire story if you are avoiding spoilers.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017

Basically the first thing she says is that this is impossible to talk about without spoilers.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Basically the first thing she says is that this is impossible to talk about without spoilers.

Eh, maybe it is for her but it can be done. That's what most of the launch reviews were. It's one thing to read a spoiler, but she takes almost every plot point and shows you how it unfolds. That is terrible to me. Even in spoilercasts, it's usually just people giving their thoughts on the game without them needing to show you the details.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, maybe it is for her but it can be done. That's what most of the launch reviews were. It's one thing to read a spoiler, but she takes almost every plot point and shows you how it unfolds. That is terrible to me. Even in spoilercasts, it's usually just people giving their thoughts on the game without them needing to show you the details.

I can't believe the video titled "Understanding The Last of Us Part II" dissects the plot points in detail. I don't understand how you're annoyed about hearing spoilers, regardless of how in-depth they are, after you're told there will be spoilers. Its like being told the stove is hot and then getting mad that you burned yourself when you touched it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't really a review, it's a breakdown of the entire story. Why they don't really touch on anything but the games stories and plot and only really talk about gameplay and how it wants you to feel during specific moments.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I can't believe the video titled "Understanding The Last of Us Part II" dissects the plot points in detail. I don't understand how you're annoyed about hearing spoilers, regardless of how in-depth they are, after you're told there will be spoilers. Its like being told the stove is hot and then getting mad that you burned yourself when you touched it.

My original comment was to people who maybe haven't seen the video yet and just preparing them.

May 7, 2020
Meh. This cleary a video for prople have been mislead.

Tupac_Senpai

Jan 5, 2020
I truly believe that many years from now, more people will come to appreciate this story and its narrative structure. Right now a lot of gamers who dislike it are just too blind by the hate they feel because of Joel's death, like Ellie was for the majority of the game.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This is incredibly good. And the worst part about this is what she says in the video is not even something that is too hard to grasp, but a lot of people just chose to ignore anyways.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I truly believe that many years from now, more people will come to appreciate this story and its narrative structure. Right now a lot of gamers who dislike it are just too blind by the hate they feel because of Joel's death, like Ellie was for the majority of the game.
Yea. People will realize that not only is this so great as a true direct sequel and about the consequences of the first game's ending, but it also makes the first game more special and keeps it unique. Look at uncharted 1 to 2. 2 makes 1 feel almost redundant and dated because it's just a way more epic version of 1.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I think people will come around. I've seen it so many times in movies, but big props for ND making me actually feel like this during both of those boss fights.

db3dc835d92143d0eb14f332782237a0.gif

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Part 1
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Part 2
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Part 3
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Part 4
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Shelbys take and reactions during the game are great.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Yeah but what about all those YouTube reviews that said The Last Jedi, I mean The Last of Us Part II is a complete failure of storytelling! /s

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Ok I'm glad. As some other posters have said, I was afraid they were gonna both sides it or end up not liking it which would only give fuel that hateful vocal minority spouting so much shit.
This.. sometimes is misleading for the people who didn't follow the game closely before release and appears that a big part of the fans are angry because of how they aproached the story this time.

The reality is that this group of people complaining and just hating because they can are actually a vocal minority.. they are loud because they want the attention but a minority in the end.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yea. People will realize that not only is this so great as a true direct sequel and about the consequences of the first game's ending, but it also makes the first game more special and keeps it unique. Look at uncharted 1 to 2. 2 makes 1 feel almost redundant and dated because it's just a way more epic version of 1.

Yeah, many people seem to forget that the entire ending of the first game was provocative. There was a safer, more "hollywood" way to write (and pace) the entire ending. If all that Part 2 did was to be a safe continuation then I actually feel it would have been against the spirit of the overall direction.

Joel dying fairly soon after was (sadly) just the way things had to be in this world. The world is brutal and unrelenting. And to an even bigger degree, the switch to Abby right in the moment where you'd expect resolution gives the entire outing a unique and challenging flavor.

At the end of the day, I'll take "interesting" over "safe" any day of the week.