• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Something about that recent polling around Scotland seems off to me. It seems to suggest that the Tories are on track to only lose one seat, which just didn't sit with what I've seen in the few constituencies I've been in during recent weeks - a complete lack of any ground game and very weak messenging.

I live in one of THE biggest Tory target seats and there just seems to be nothing from them at the moment compared to the SNP.

Might be wrong, though.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Something about that recent polling around Scotland seems off to me. It seems to suggest that the Tories are on track to only lose one seat, which just didn't sit with what I've seen in the few constituencies I've been in during recent weeks - a complete lack of any ground game and very weak messenging.

I live in one of THE biggest Tory target seats and there just seems to be nothing from them at the moment compared to the SNP.

Might be wrong, though.

They don't need to campaign here, there's nothing to say other than "vote for us to stop indyref2". Scotland is still incredibly divided on independence and it's the single voter issue that will swing Unionists to support the Tory vote in large numbers.

The days of the Unionist vote being split between Labour/Conservative are over in Scotland. We have a sizeable number of Labour voters who will vote Conservative in 2019 like they did in 2017.

All the SNP have to hope for is stay at home SNP voters from 2017 come out. Some got complacent last time around.

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
For those who commute on the train to London and Norwich, the sheer number of 'Vote Labour' signs up onto the windows of the houses or outside in the garden along the railway line gives me reasons to be cheerful.

And yet these (new) polls makes me feel so disheartened...

The only way out of this mess is for young people to go vote. They need to reach 70, 80% of voting. It's one of these moments when the future is in their hands.

Incredible how folks whom are 80+ years old make more effort to go out and vote, no matter the weather or how far away the poll station is, than the majority of young people do. It's both extraordinary and absolutely maddening.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
The people hiding behind "but Corbyn" while they indirectly support Johnson and hard Brexit are disgusting. Am sick of this country

No deal Brexit. Maybe it will have long term benefits because English people will realise they aren't as big as they think they are on the world stage.

They'll blame ethnic minorities, foreign people, and the EU before having some self reflection about this.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this election is already a forgone conclusion.

I can't believe people are going to vote en masse for the Tories again, after everything that's happened. Depressing.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Journalists on twitter are making a stink about it not being yet available to them, so no it's not online yet

As I type the above:

Ctrl+F "get brexit done" ... 23 results. Not sure if I expected more or not.

Also there's a pretty funny low-res image of Boris on a bike in there, I guess it had to be done.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
They don't need to campaign here, there's nothing to say other than "vote for us to stop indyref2". Scotland is still incredibly divided on independence and it's the single voter issue that will swing Unionists to support the Tory vote in large numbers.

The days of the Unionist vote being split between Labour/Conservative are over in Scotland. We have a sizeable number of Labour voters who will vote Conservative in 2019 like they did in 2017.

All the SNP have to hope for is stay at home SNP voters from 2017 come out. Some got complacent last time around.

surely also a significant factor that 38% of scottish voters voted leave and they only have one party representing them on this issue

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lib Dems sure do like leaflets, letters etc. Think I've honestly got about 7 already. They all say the exact same thing but a different format.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018

what a fucking stitch up

a lot of people say the alternate universe where ed miliband won is great because of no eu referendum, but just imagine how good it would be if we'd been able to get leveson 2.0

Lib Dems sure do like leaflets, letters etc. Think I've honestly got about 7 already. They all say the exact same thing but a different format.

lol my seat becoming a major lib dem target for the first time has been a disaster for my letterbox

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of hard for me to care at this point. People deserve to get what they vote for, my life will change very little regardless.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible how folks whom are 80+ years old make more effort to go out and vote, no matter the weather or how far away the poll station is, than the majority of young people do. It's both extraordinary and absolutely maddening.
It's because
1) they're retired so they have nothing else going on
2) they're more likely to use postal votes than younger people are.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
surely also a significant factor that 38% of scottish voters voted leave and they only have one party representing them on this issue

Yes, that too, but more Scottish people oppose independence than those who voted Leave. As I said, there will be Labour remainers voting Tory in Scotland to try and stop the SNP.

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of hard for me to care at this point. People deserve to get what they vote for, my life will change very little regardless.
My life along with countless others are going to worse almost certainly because of these Tories and the Gammons that constantly vote them in.
Still...if this is the result we're getting then it's going to be cathartic watching these cunts lives get worse. It's the only thing I can look forward to, I wish I could say otherwise.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that too, but more Scottish people oppose independence than those who voted Leave. As I said, there will be Labour remainers voting Tory in Scotland to try and stop the SNP.

Not so sure on that. Considering how much BoJo is disliked up here, it's hard to see even unionists voting for a BoJo led Tory party.

BoJo getting in will probably put up indy ref polls by a huge amount because fuck BoJo.

Not gonna read their shite, so how are they fucking over the poor and disabled even more this time?

I'm not sure I even want to know. The disabled already get fucked enough as it is :( (and of course many of them also cross over into the poor category so that's double fucked)

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Not so sure on that. Considering how much BoJo is disliked up here, it's hard to see even unionists voting for a BoJo led Tory party.

BoJo getting in will probably put up indy ref polls by a huge amount because fuck BoJo.

I'm not sure I even want to know. The disabled already get fucked enough as it is :( (and of course many of them also cross over into the poor category so that's double fucked)

Generally speaking, Scotland hates Boris, but the threat of another independence referendum overrules absolutely everything. People up here would sell their children to avoid indyref2.

It is seen as the most important single issue vote, that important Unionists of all flavours will get together to tactically vote no matter who they are voting for.

The Leave Scottish base plus the Unionist voting block are going to make it difficult for the SNP. The south of Scotland is a wasteland. Might as well be England.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Generally speaking, Scotland hates Boris, but the threat of another independence referendum overrules absolutely everything. People up here would sell their children to avoid indyref2.

It is seen as the most important single issue vote, that important Unionists of all flavours will get together to tactically vote no matter who they are voting for.

I guess we'll see if BoJo gets in.

That said, hopefully the SNP gets some more seats from the Tories.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland

Aye I'm the same. My mum is disabled and has a progressive illness so I need to know but kinda don't want to.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
As far as I gather the manifesto is get Brexit done from start to end.

So everyone that has it rough right now won't get any help because they will be doing fuck all about it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, SNP are going to struggle, people just won't vote for them because Independence is back at the forefront again. I don't even think a youth turnout guarantees it to any degree were it matters either. If they don't vote Tory, they'll vote Lib Dems, see Swinson's constituency etc. and they'll either get seats or they'll let the Tories in because they can't bare to vote for the SNP. Boris doesn't come into it.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yeah, SNP are going to struggle, people just won't vote for them because Independence is back at the forefront again. I don't even think a youth turnout guarantees it to any degree were it matters either. If they don't vote Tory, they'll vote Lib Dems, see Swinson's constituency etc. and they'll either get seats or they'll let the Tories in because they can't bare to vote for the SNP. Boris doesn't come into it.
I'd bet my house on them increasing their seats. Lib Dems getting in the Highlands and Islands is just normal service being resumed.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
User Banned (permanent): Peddling Misinformation and Trolling; Prior Ban for Trolling
Can you be more clear about what kind of benefits can balance out more people dying, basic medecine shortages, the privatization of the NHS and more international companies leaving the UK?

To go back a few pages: that argument is lost on the 80k-100k bracket. An increase of 20% on fresh exotic fruits at Whole Foods is not going to hurt us as much as an increase of 10% on basic products at Aldi will hurt poor people.
And now I think of it, the privatization of the NHS might also be lost as an argument, since most people in that bracket and above have private insurance and don't give two fucks about people who don't.
Anyway, this bracket is 5% of the voting population of UK, was it? Labour should focus their efforts on easier and more numerous crowds.

Relax. Privatisation of the NHS won't happen. Just scare tactics from the Labour Party.
International companies leaving the U.K. is probably more likely to happen if Corbyn taxes them hand over fist, which his plans intend on doing. Brexit doesn't help in the short term, but it's been voted on and we need to respect the result of the first referendum, so its debate is a moot point at this time.

As for the Sterling devaluation, a Corbyn majority is going to tank it a lot further than any Brexit, save a very hard one. Corbyn's policies got the financial market shook. Only thing helping is the odds of a Corbyn majority are so low (at this stage), but the further it goes up, the more market volatility you'll see.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
. Privatisation of the NHS won't happen. Just scare tactics from the Labour Party.

Lmao, it's already happening under the last decade of Tories. At best you can say they aren't trying to directly replace it with private care and just want to shut it down wherever possible, like that's any better.

The rest of your post is as equally absurd.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I'd bet my house on them increasing their seats. Lib Dems getting in the Highlands and Islands is just normal service being resumed.

They'll increase their seats but we aren't reducing the Tory seats to 1 like it should be.

Too many people in this country might as well live in England as it doesn't seem to matter what Tory UK Government is put in front of them, they're terrified at the idea Scotland ever gets to a point where enough is enough.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Relax. Privatisation of the NHS won't happen. Just scare tactics from the Labour Party.
International companies leaving the U.K. is probably more likely to happen if Corbyn taxes them hand over fist, which his plans intend on doing. Brexit doesn't help in the short term, but it's been voted on and we need to respect the result of the first referendum, so its debate is a moot point at this time.

As for the Sterling devaluation, a Corbyn majority is going to tank it a lot further than any Brexit, save a very hard one. Corbyn's policies got the financial market shook. Only thing helping is the odds of a Corbyn majority are so low (at this stage), but the further it goes up, the more market volatility you'll see.

Good God I hope you're making enough money to justify your Tory support.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess they might get Ruth's seat but Ref2 is going to sink them to more or less the same as 2017. I really hope not, but there doesn't seem to be the keenest for Ref2 unless people have suddenly awakened to the idea. I guess in the end it will be a good view of how people feel.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

I do think the same. But I'm baffled at the state of some of the unionist voters in Scotland. Is it boomers trying to fuck over all other generations below them? I mean an indie scotland is almost a forgone conclusion at this point. It's a matter of when, not if.

The bojo factor plays into the tories likely losing seats. The snp do have a perfect foil in bojo to paint as a giant target for voters.

As audioboxer said, if the Scots vote in the Tories again, they can burn with the rest of us. They are key in denying the tory majority outcome.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This post highlights why UK is such a mess.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

It is already happening right now.

We need to respect the result of the first referendum, so its debate is a moot point at this time.

The first referendum on Brexit gave Remain as a result. The rerun in 2016 gave Leave if you care about respecting the first referendum.

As for the Sterling devaluation, a Corbyn majority is going to tank it a lot further than any Brexit, save a very hard one.

Two things: the deal on the table is a very hard Brexit, and it already tanked enormous since the referendum.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
They'll increase their seats but we aren't reducing the Tory seats to 1 like it should be.

Too many people in this country might as well live in England as it doesn't seem to matter what Tory UK Government is put in front of them, they're terrified at the idea Scotland ever gets to a point where enough is enough.
I'm not seeing it as a sort of mass group that really matters tbh. A tiny amount of old right wing voters even vote SNP because they want independence, the types that were for Indy in the 70s.

I was in the Labour party for a decade and still know people in it, they'd rather another referendum than have more tories. I know I would when I was a unionist.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I do think the same. But I'm baffled at the state of some of the unionist voters in Scotland. Is it boomers trying to fuck over all other generations below them? I mean an indie scotland is almost a forgone conclusion at this point. It's a matter of when, not if.

The bojo factor plays into the tories likely losing seats. The snp do have a perfect foil in bojo to paint as a giant target for voters.

As audioboxer said, if the Scots vote in the Tories again, they can burn with the rest of us. They are key in denying the tory majority outcome.

Boomers, the wealthy and Rangers fans. The Rangers youth are like a set of attack dogs when it comes to Unionism. That and being knee-deep in sectarianism.

Scotland has a lot of classism issues and as usual those with money rise to the top of voting Conservative. The farmers would rather shag their sheep than vote SNP.

Anyone that wears a tweed jacket in Scotland also votes Tory.

So there's quite a few tbh, they just failed to win seats for ages due to Thatcher and Labour splitting the Unionist vote in Scotland. As Labour have died here the Tories are beginning to clean sweep everyone who won't vote SNP.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales

Yes I know it's old.

But how is shrinking the economy by 10% as a result of no deal Brexit a good thing? (as per the treasury forecasts)

Status
Not open for further replies.