• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So well deserved too. 40 hours into a Black Eagle playthrough and already planning a new game plus with the same house and different decisions

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
A world with actual lore, good writing and characters with multiple dimensions (even the ones who initially appear to be one dimensional) tied to a great battle system > no lore, bad writing and one dimensional characters tied to a great battle system. Not that Awakening was that bad but fuck fates was.

I'd love to know what the actual fuck the star reviewer was on when they said the writing was worse than fates, this is some of the best I've seen in the series.

Last edited:

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty huge considering the digital ratio is undoubtedly significantly higher this time around.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shut in for the next few weeks like Bernadetta playing this game.

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am so happy.
It's been a long time since a game consumed me like this. Entire weekend gone - poof, just like that. And I can't wait to play more!

Last edited:

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
great news, the game deserves it. my first FE and I'm absolutely absorbed. gonna take up a full month of my time at least doing multiple playthroughs.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Fantastic, but won't silence those thinking it's a lower grade game due to reduced IS involvement.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's impressive but I don't think Fates makes for a good comparison. It was released really late in Europe and IIRC the special edition containing all 3 games was not tracked at all for some reason, even though it was the most popular version in other EU countries where it was tracked OW. I'm impressed by how much it did outsell Birthright & Conquest combined however, it's definitely done quite well.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
It's sold out at a bunch of online retailers too. I was trying to pick it up at a reduced price on ShopTo or GameCollection today and they're fully sold out... shame because they're ÂŁ5+ cheaper than other places.

Jan 2, 2018
It's impressive but I don't think Fates makes for a good comparison. It was released really late in Europe and IIRC the special edition containing all 3 games was not tracked at all for some reason, even though it was the most popular version in other EU countries where it was tracked OW. I'm impressed by how much it did outsell Birthright & Conquest combined however, it's definitely done quite well.

Fate is the best selling Fire Emblem game right now, so of course they will compare the sales of Three Houses with it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Very impressive since it's UK and physical only....no doubt that digital sales are also much higher.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fate is the best selling Fire Emblem game right now, so of course they will compare the sales of Three Houses with it.

I mean specifically in the U.K. It's telling that it (Three Houses) sold more than double the Fates games but not double Awakening even though Fates released to a *much* higher, post Pokemon/2DS install base, and it's simple why- Fates was a train wreck of a release in Europe.

Jun 17, 2018
Rung around a couple of local stores and they are sold out. Great news but I'm without a copy!! I'll wait a bit longer before jumping in, it's probably a blessing in disguise since August is full of birthdays for me so I'll be out of pocket I imagine for the rest of this month.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
It's been insane to see this franchise grow the way it has these last few years. like got damn I would have never seen this coming based off the awakening trailers back when the 3ds was new.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Great news. Its also number one on the e shop charts. The game is very good too so I expect the legs to last longer. I think it will top 4 million worldwide.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Deservedly so, game is really addicting. Nice background lore, good story so far, great characters and a lot of possibilities to raise them. I love walking around the monastry and doing side stuff and the battles are also great so far.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Glad to hear it, totally deserved.

Let's just hope that Intelligent Systems has insightful takeaways about what makes Three Houses a great Fire Emblem game... I'd rather not see the follow-up be a repeat of Fates where they just leaned hard into the ideas of its predecessor in an embarrassingly clumsy manner.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Removing a lot of the anime nonsense and replacing it with stuff that mass audiences tend to like (Harry Potter house stuff, GoT-style dark fantasy worlds, etc) were two really good decisions and it's clear they're paying off. I bought the game Day One (yet to play it, mind you ) for those reasons even though I haven't touched a Fire Emblem game since briefly trying out Awakening back in the day.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Anecdotally I decided to pick up anothter copy the evening it came out and was surprised to find it was sold out everywhere.

I figured it was under supplied but this makes a lot more sense. Hopefully this marks a new (old) direction for the series.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Removing a lot of the anime nonsense and replacing it with stuff that mass audiences tend to like (Harry Potter house stuff, GoT-style dark fantasy worlds, etc) were two really good decisions and it's clear they're paying off. I bought the game Day One (yet to play it, mind you ) for those reasons even though I haven't touched a Fire Emblem game since briefly trying out Awakening back in the day.

Make sure you try it out soon! It's a very good game and doesn't take long at all to throw you right into all the good stuff.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Make sure you try it out soon! It's a very good game and doesn't take long at all to throw you right into all the good stuff.

I think I'm gonna be starting it tomorrow, yeah, and I'm definitely looking forward to it. I would have started it on Friday but I decided to go through Wolfenstein instead. That and I always find starting these really long games difficult :P

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I'm ecstatic to see people responding to FE being such a great game

Obviously we have to see the full sales figures but At some point I think we'll have to start asking ourselves if the Switch is Nintendo's greatest console ever. It's been able to take every one of Nintendo's exclusives to the next level. It's not like these games are releasing in the middle of software droughts either. Nintendo is flooding its Switch owners with new software and somehow new sale records are still constantly being set.

Metroid fans shouldn't worry whether MP4 will be successful.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
And to think that six years ago Awakening could have been the final hurrah for the series if it didn't sell well.

What a turn around for the series.

Jan 2, 2018
I mean specifically in the U.K. It's telling that it (Three Houses) sold more than double the Fates games but not double Awakening even though Fates released to a *much* higher, post Pokemon/2DS install base, and it's simple why- Fates was a train wreck of a release in Europe.

Yeah, you're right. WW it's a better comparison than in the UK, I have to agree.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have a number estimate

I don't see one, so I checked gaf quickly and the best I found was Pal 17, 2013

FE:A did between 6.3k and 10.2k FW. Assuming this is accurate.
So FE3H would be between 12.6k and 19.9k (19.9k due to Zhuge)

Road said:
Bioshock Infinite total: 10.2k

All-formats:

1 INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US
2 BIOSHOCK INFINITE 10.2k
3 FIRE EMBLEM: AWAKENING

Individual formats:

1 INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US XB360
2 INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US PS3
3 FIRE EMBLEM: AWAKENING 3DS
4 BIOSHOCK INFINITE XB360 6.3k

=> 6.3k < FIRE EMBLEM: AWAKENING < 10.2k

(That assumes Mpl90 number is right. I also don't know if that's 90% or 100%).

btw, thanks, jvm, for always putting a link to the new thread.