• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Light it up anyway. Fuck them.

Then give out rainbow flags to literally everyone in the stadium. Let them try and avoid showing that on TV.

I'd really like it if every other stadium being used just went "fuck it" at this point and lit up. Webley's done it with the arch in the past. What are UEFA going to do? Run to hold everything in Hungary? Good fucking luck.

1_The-FA-x-Stonewall-Partnership-Image.jpg

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Munich's mayor just held a short speech (linked below, sorry it's in german) about the whole thing

key points:
- the city stands behind the LGBTIQ* community
- calls the decisions of the UEFA shameful and also the inaction of the DFB (german soccer association) disappointing
- pride flags are raised at the city hall (this is pretty normal but iirc the city usually does it closer to Christopher Street day)
- the wind turbine right next to the alliance stadium will be illuminated in pride colors
- olympic tower will also be illuminated in pride colors

for some context the wind turbine is a landmark that sits right next to the stadium

2118755915-froettmaning-windrad-allianz-arena-autobahn-windkraftanlage-neubau-2020-fussballstadion-versorgung-s-2Xd7XZLe9nec.jpg

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why they just don't do it regardless. What is UEFA going to do anyways?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe exclude Munich from the rest of the tournament (they already threatened London), fines or even consequences for the Euro in Germany in 2024.

Either way this is pathetic from UEFA.
Oh please they won't do shit. Fine them whatever, that won't hurt. I wanna see the UEFA threatening one of the biggest sports associations (DFB) lol.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
UEFA are pieces of shit - they are ALL about the money.

They dont care about diversity, or combating racism - only about sponsorship and bypassing covid restrictions.

And after the Pavard debacle, where they sit back and watch a player who has two serious head injuries continue playing and let the French doctors fake a report about it - and force Denmark to play on just 90 minutes after a player died and was resuscitated on the pitch because of "fixture congestion".

Well, it says it all.

How many players at this tournament are out as gay or bi?
I don't believe there's ever been a gay male professional footballer that is also actively playing. Statistically however there will more than likely be a few gay/bi players in the tournament.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
No, bolded doesn't make sense because UEFA has been supporting taking the knee. Which is why this is completely unexplainable.

They've been OK with the knee at a time less teams are doing it and while pushing a very sanitized and "non-political" interpretation of what it means. A nonsensical interpretation, to be sure.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one good thing to note in this whole mess, it's that no public figure in Germany dares to support that decision (except our own FA of course because lol).

All but one political party harshly criticise this decision ("embarrassing", "shameful", "outdated", "folding before autocrats") and the other one (far-right AfD) prefers to say nothing after one of them called Neuer's captain armband a "fag armband" and he later had to delete that Facebook post. Even the Conservatives use this case to attack the AfD for exactly that ("it would've been a great sign against completely shameful and shocking statements from AfD members").

I don't think this would've been the same, say, 15 years ago.

Oct 27, 2017
UEFA (and FIFA) are complicit in the bigotry that's rampant throughout the sport. Their performative bullshit, when it's convenient, is not fooling anyone.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Munich's mayor just held a short speech (linked below, sorry it's in german) about the whole thing

key points:
- the city stands behind the LGBTIQ* community
- calls the decisions of the UEFA shameful and also the inaction of the DFB (german soccer association) disappointing
- pride flags are raised at the city hall (this is pretty normal but iirc the city usually does it closer to Christopher Street day)
- the wind turbine right next to the alliance stadium will be illuminated in pride colors
- olympic tower will also be illuminated in pride colors

for some context the wind turbine is a landmark that sits right next to the stadium

2118755915-froettmaning-windrad-allianz-arena-autobahn-windkraftanlage-neubau-2020-fussballstadion-versorgung-s-2Xd7XZLe9nec.jpg

That is pretty awesome. I mean, it's embarassing for UEFA as well as DFB (who were defending the decision by UEFA), but it's great to see all the uproar it has caused, as Irminsul has mentioned.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I mean UEFA has a "no political symbols" rule at stadiums, so technically they are in the right to make this decision .. the colours or the flag aren't seen as political, but the reason why the Germans want to do this is definitely political

The argument is that showing support for the LGBTQ community shouldn't be a political statement. Just like the whole No Racism movement shouldn't be.

Sure, the Mayor did say it was in opposition to Hungary passing the anti-LGBTQ law, but that shouldn't be a controversial thing. If Hungary passes a racist law are we suppose to stop fighting against racism at soccer games too?

In the end it's about money and self-interest, don't be tricked thinking UEFA is trying to be a pacifier or anything like that.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
The argument is that showing support for the LGBTQ community shouldn't be a political statement. Just like the whole No Racism movement shouldn't be.

Sure, the Mayor did say it was in opposition to Hungary passing the anti-LGBTQ law, but that shouldn't be a controversial thing. If Hungary passes a racist law are we suppose to stop fighting against racism at soccer games too?

In the end it's about money and self-interest, don't be tricked thinking UEFA is trying to be a pacifier or anything like that.

I got you.. I just wrote the reason why UEFA how it decided.. support for the LGBTQ community and the No Racism movement are statements that are pretty much general and every country should be trying to improve in these, it's all seats with the Fair Game and Fair Play statements .. but this istance with the stadium is basically one county going against another one and it's mostly used by a politician - major of the city - for I thing (I'm pretty cynical right now) for his own political career and view.. that's why it is so political.. why wasn't the stadium previously used as a LGBTQ support opportunity in previous matches? After the match is over, I want to see them support the community in later events the same way.. or they forget about it after the match? I'm curious if the German team after this tournament is going to speak out against the next WC in Qatar, when they are so in support of equality and human rights.. or is this just a show off before the most important match in the group and to fuck with the opposite players heads and morale .. let's see
And of course, UEFA isn't the good guy or something like that in this situation (or even in the ESL situation in the past months, they just were the lesser evil).. we all know they are only after the money.. the same as the whole FIFA

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
If there's one good thing to note in this whole mess, it's that no public figure in Germany dares to support that decision (except our own FA of course because lol).

All but one political party harshly criticise this decision ("embarrassing", "shameful", "outdated", "folding before autocrats") and the other one (far-right AfD) prefers to say nothing after one of them called Neuer's captain armband a "fag armband" and he later had to delete that Facebook post. Even the Conservatives use this case to attack the AfD for exactly that ("it would've been a great sign against completely shameful and shocking statements from AfD members").

I don't think this would've been the same, say, 15 years ago.

How is the situation right now in terms of law for our queer peers? I know that in terms of society Germany has progressed a lot but I don't remember if they have been able to push for legal changes?

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, that shit looks awesome on the stadium. Rainbows look good on everything

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Just submit a new request for it to be for non political reasons.

Just do it anyway.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
They should light the whole city in rainbow colors but leave the stadium front completly dark. Now that'd be a message.

Allianz Arena is sadly rather on the outskirts of Munich, the effect would not be seen that well I think. There is a bunch of nothing surrounding the immediate area around it.

Edit:
Read about the wind turbine being illuminated just now. Better than nothing I guess.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Allianz Arena is sadly rather on the outskirts of Munich, the effect would not be seen that well I think. There is a bunch of nothing surrounding the immediate area around it.

Haha, that's true. I've passed the building a few times going to the city. There's a few parking garages though? Maybe those could be lit up. :D

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
"The rainbow isn't political and we love it - but it becomes political when the opponents government are homophobic, so of course we can't allow the dangerous symbolism of the rainbow when faced with innocent homophobes!"

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Imagine now if players entered the field with some for of rainbow colored clothing (necklace, whatever), I am sure UEFA would think it was not political, right? They just said the rain ow is not political, so it's OK to do that. Right? Right?

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich

How do "The rainbow is not a political symbol" and "lighting up the stadium in rainbow color is political" go together?

It is a contradiction.
Just say that you don't want to offend your authoritarian sponsors and be open about the fact that money trumps any and all moral concerns for you.
Honesty would be more respectable than this shit.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even if the stadium was lit up, do UEFA control the TV feed so they could not show it on TV?

I hope Munich do it and the whole world on TV gets to see it.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if the stadium was lit up, do UEFA control the TV feed so they could not show it on TV?

I hope Munich do it and the whole world on TV gets to see it.
During the game, yes.
But ARD, BBC and all the stations that make coverage of the tournamant, have their own crews and can make their own shots around the game

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
How do "The rainbow is not a political symbol" and "lighting up the stadium in rainbow color is political" go together?
If you don't think about it too much, it makes sense:

The symbol itself is not political.
Munich mayor explained he wanted to use the symbol for political reasons.
Therefore the symbol itself is not political, lighting up the stadium with the context of the mayor's declaration is political.

Now if you look even a tiny, tiny little bit into why the mayor said it was political, you'd see the argument is garbage, but on surface the argument somewhat makes sense.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Forgive the ignorance here, but this just looks like "let's not piss off the Nazi prick because we like money."

Am I wrong?