• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 22, 2020
Wouldnt it make sense to wait for some ACTUAL hands on testing of some of these? You know DF was going to go nuts with this anyway.

Is anyone really canceling a preorder over this?

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
I very much doubt they tested all games all the way through for all bugs. That's not remotely feasible.

My guess is they test them for a set period of gameplay, not the entire game. To test over 4000 games to completion (including side quests etc) is an unfathomable task.

Say those 4000 games have an average play time including side content of 25 hours, that's over 100,000 hours of game testing time, or around 12,500 days of 8 hour work day testing.

Even if you had a team of 10 people testing said games for 8 hours a day, it would take them well over 3 and a half years to test them all, since that's not taking into account data recording, notes, annotation, side work etc.

BC will never be completely bug or problem free. You only have to Google Xbox One backwards compatibility problems to bring up a long list of people complaining about BC bugs on that system too. That's ignoring that even non BC games can have bugs. Hell, Syndicate is buggy even on the PS4 lol.

Krov87

Oct 31, 2017
I did, so either Ubisoft is lying about their games not working, or Sony didn't do the work and just made a claim without data to back it up. Between the two, only one has something to gain for for saying something that's false. Did you stop to think about it at all?
Or it could be a error like with the xbox list, or old information.
Or a Ubisoft decision based on their results of BC.
But in that last case...why dont talk with sony first instead of putting it directly in a news post?

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i can give you some now if that would help
Untitled-1.png

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Looks like Backwards compatibility is gonna be a quite a mess for Sony. Expecting more publishers to expand the list so we can get the full picture. Honestly. I 'd rather have a 100 or so games that we know definitively not to work rather than random ones that glitch out as a rude surprise because Sony refused to test and list them.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

And yet there are still plenty of people experiencing BC bugs with random games. Though I will say I am impressed by the figure and tweet if true. I guess Microsoft must have had a very large team and investment dedicated specifically to BC testing. Because 500,000 hours is 62,500 work days of testing lol. I can't even wrap my head around how many people it must have taken to do that if true.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't this fly in the face of 1) their full detailing of BC back in March, and 2) following up on that a few weeks ago? That's not unusually quiet. That's you making something up to use as a standard where it doesn't really exist.

I don't feel we've gotten full details at any point. Quite the opposite, this thread is an example of full details starting to trickle in, through sources other than Sony.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really hope this isn't true. I'm getting boned hard here if this is the end result LOLOLOL. This is what I mean. My Assassin's Creed purchase history since 2014.

1604078488384374-0.png

The ONLY Time I step out, hahaha. I hope it gets fixed.

This is too funny 🤣 Thanks for the laugh.

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The "may exhibit errors" seems to correlate with what Sony's API defines as "bootable" rather than compatible

This is how I interpret this, Sony classified the game as "bootable" rather than "compatible", Ubisoft PR saw that and said, let's not risk anything by using the term "compatible" in reference to this game.

Neither of them "lied", they are just sticking to specific terms, and so far all we know about their meaning is that this game boots but encounters some unspecified issues.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Backwards compatibility is gonna be a quite a mess for Sony.

That is what I am reading. It seems that Sony definition of compatibility is "well, it runs". If it is the case (hope not) many games may encounter problems/bugs during their run, and may be not be complete/play through the end. That is a major problem. MS approach of "all your library in one machine" had a lot of effort that pays well, and Sony is kind of new in this field.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I posted this in the Playstation Studios OT, but I guess it makes more sense here now.

I was curious to see how many other games this might apply to, and if you do a Google site search on the Playstation store for that specific wording around 'unexpected behaviour or errors', you currently get around 100 games:

Some notable names in there, but without knowing what 'unexpected behaviour' or 'errors' we're talking about, it's hard to know how deeply individual games might be affected. Viewing it optimistically, some of these smell like possibly online service issues (e.g. the older MLB/NBA games). A number of VR games are in there too.
Are you freaking kidding me, then people wonder why some are "concerned" and want clear honest answers. Hopefully Sony responds soon saying what the issue is if there's any at all. I don't want to be playing a game for 50hrs then run into some random game breaking glitch.

Sony needs a dedicated BC team like Microsoft has.

Last edited:

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
I very much doubt they tested all games all the way through for all bugs. That's not remotely feasible.

My guess is they test them for a set period of gameplay, not the entire game. To test over 4000 games to completion (including side quests etc) is an unfathomable task.

Say those 4000 games have an average play time including side content of 25 hours, that's over 100,000 hours of game testing time, or around 12,500 days of 8 hour work day testing.

Even if you had a team of 10 people testing said games for 8 hours a day, it would take them well over 3 and a half years to test them all, since that's not taking into account data recording, notes, annotation, side work, breaks, procrastination etc.

BC will never be completely bug or problem free. You only have to Google Xbox One backwards compatibility problems to bring up a long list of people complaining about BC bugs on that system too. That's ignoring that even non BC games can have bugs. Hell, Syndicate is buggy even on the PS4 lol.
And yet there are still plenty of people experiencing BC bugs with random games. Though I will say I am impressed by the figure and tweet if true. I guess Microsoft must have had a very large team and investment dedicated specifically to BC testing.

The program has evolved dramatically overtime. Gears of War judgment and halo reach were worse then 360 native when it first launch, then in a matter of months it was fixed.

As someone who uses the feature extensively: 99.9% of the experience has beensuperb. Only crashes I recall were Psychonauts 1 and Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb last year (both have been patched since, it may be gone for all i know). That's literally it, and i have around 200+ BC titles. Everything else just ran and looked better for me.

Back on topic: the PS5 situation is massively concerning for my catalogue of PS4 games, I really hope this isn't the case.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Couldn't it be that Ubisodts definition of BC is different from Sonys? Sony never stated all the games will work 100%, perhaps from Ubis standpoint Syndicate isn't running well enough to call it "Backwards compatible".
Unless one of them is just incorrect or were miscommunicated, I think this is most likely.

As far as we know, Sony define games as "bootable" and "compatible" on their internal systems.

Many of the games listed on the PS4 store pages which say they may exhibit Issues are the ones that also are defined as "bootable"

Several of these same games are on the Ubisoft list also.

So right now , bootable and "exhibit issues" are the terms we don't understand. It could mean , the game crashes every 3 minutes, it could mean the framerate tanks, it could mean that it works ok, but goes weird in a specific place.
It might mean nothing at all happens for most people playing to, but they recorded intermittent or unresolved issues when it was tested.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
That is what I am reading. It seems that Sony definition of compatibility is "well, it runs". If it is the case (hope not) many games may encounter problems/bugs during their run, and may be not be complete/play through the end. That is a major problem. MS approach of "all your library in one machine" had a lot of effort that pays well, and Sony is kind of new in this field.

Come on Sony isn't new in this field, they had solid BC solutions for the PS2 and launch PS3. I'm currently writing a script to dump the entire PS4 catalog to see the full list of bootable vs. compatible titles so we can see this situation in more detail. Without knowing what 'bootable' means to Sony though, it's going to be interesting to see what happens on launch day.

This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've seen said on this forum.

Knowing that poster, they're joking.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Sony say many games will even run boosted? Now we are even arguing whether they work at all. It seems they really have different modes for different games. Can't wait for a bc show case from them!

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Why are people being so ridiculous?

It doesn't appear anyone has lied or anybody is trying to deceive. It looks like Ubisoft's post is just just correct of this second: as some of the games on that list don't work properly and some now do.
I have no idea.

Friend, you are the one who started saying someone was lying. I said they made a statement without doing the work to prove it. If Ubisoft is making an honest claim, then it's obvious Sony didn't test before saying they worked. How is that difficult to understand? Booting a game and running it successfully are two different things. If you are having to jump through technicality hoops to defend Sony, maybe you should stop, take a breath, and realize the a mega corporation doesn't need you as a white knight savior...
Well, friend I said that so we can dismiss the word from the discussion on both our parts, not just yours. I'm not defending Sony and Sony doesn't need my defense. The rest of your comment is the typical deflection of having nothing else to add to this discussion. It's cool, but I wouldn't spend anymore energy on being upset on this trivial issue.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
And yet there are still plenty of people experiencing BC bugs with random games. Though I will say I am impressed by the figure and tweet if true. I guess Microsoft must have had a very large team and investment dedicated specifically to BC testing. Because 500,000 hours is 62,500 work days of testing lol. I can't even wrap my head around how many people it must have taken to do that if true.
Why would you doubt the authenticity of the tweet? It's not by some random fan, it's by someone in the bc program.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
This is how I interpret this, Sony classified the game as "bootable" rather than "compatible", Ubisoft PR saw that and said, let's not risk anything by using the term "compatible" in reference to this game.

Neither of them "lied", they are just sticking to specific terms, and so far all we know about their meaning is that this game boots but encounters some unspecified issues.
I think this is the most likely scenario. It makes sense for Ubisoft to be basing what they've said on results provided by Sony. They see a list saying "bootable" and "compatible", someone interprets anything that isn't listed as "compatible" as being "incompatible", and the result is confusing statements. (And even worse: confusing statements where Ubisoft's original interpretation still seems valid to them after they recheck it).

So I think now we need more information on exactly what level of compatibility we should be expecting from those "bootable" games. As Stefarno notes, this sounds a lot like the European PS3 launch when Sony tried to group games into multiple tiers of compatibility, and perhaps for the sake of context it should be noted that in those cases, the things that caused Sony to list a game as having issues were generally very mild and occasional annoyances, nothing game-breaking.

My current expectation is that these games will all work on PS5 with similar occasional-but-not-gamebreaking annoyances, and that Ubisoft are jumping the gun by saying that they're not backwards compatible, but unhappily it seems we shall have to wait and see.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
The very fact that Sony has options for "bootable" and "compatible" shows that their solution is still not good enough right now. For players what matters is that they can play the game till its end. Bootable means nothing to me. Like "you will enjoy the title screen". Just say the game doesn't work. But saying "only 10 games don't work " are better in terms of marketing, right? Even if dozens of other games are just "bootable". Keep your PS4 if you like your games.

Kalem

May 23, 2019

Even if you had a team of 10 people testing said games for 8 hours a day, it would take them well over 3 and a half years to test them all, since that's not taking into account data recording, notes, annotation, side work, breaks, procrastination etc.

But Microsoft did, not 100K hours, 500K.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Sigh of relief to be honest, im 75 hours into ac odyssey. But luckily thats going to work fine in 3 weeks on my ps5.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

They didn't say man hours. Alot of tests are automated.

Kalem

May 23, 2019

3000 people can do it in a regular work month. (40 hours x 4 weeks)

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm quite disappointed if Syndicate is unable to be fixed at some point.

I was also skeptical with the way Sony worded that article not that long ago, and yet we had a mod here and many users suggesting concerns were in the wrong.

Hopefully we receive more clarification soon what exactly is up, though I guess we'll know either way in a short while with the system landing soon.

Kalem

May 23, 2019
Do you think that's an insignificant amount of people, time, and labor?

Never said it wasn't obviously, but it's not a "heat death of the universe" scenario and quite doable if Microsoft wanted to put the resources towards it. 1000 people over 3 months also covers it, 500 people on 6, 250 in a year... etc... It's not an unfathomable number.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Sony say many games will even run boosted? Now we are even arguing whether they work at all. It seems they really have different modes for different games. Can't wait for a bc show case from them!

Even in Sony's systems that were considered '100% BC' (e.g. launch PS3s), Sony published compatibility lists with caveats around a not-insubstantial number of games with regard to glitches/bugs. Most not very major.

If what we're talking about here are similarly not very major bugs, I'd honestly think it a minor miracle if 'only', for example, 100-200 games were affected.

But none of these things are mutually exclusive anyway. Sony, from the start, said that some games will perform better in boost modes, and from the start on the BC page, said that some games that are playable on PS5 may exhibit errors or unexpected behaviour. I think a lot of people maybe glossed over that, looked at the list of 10 games that are point-blank incompatible, and concluded everything else would be completely flawless. But that's not quite what was outlined...and it's not something I think we've ever had from Sony, at least, in even their most backward compatible systems.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati

Yes, Xbox has a team dedicated to BC, Sony needs to do the same thing in all honesty.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
3000 people can do it in a regular work month. (40 hours x 4 weeks)

3000 is a massive number. Hell, it's more employees than the entirety of Bethesda/Zenimax (2,300 employees) spread over 9 or so gaming studios.

They didn't say man hours. Alot of tests are automated.

I honestly have no idea how that would work exactly, but it's certainly a possibility.

Yes, Xbox has a team dedicated to BC, Sony needs to do the same thing in all honesty.

I don't think they do, especially for such a small number of problem games. I'd much rather they put those man hours and resources towards new games.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
The very fact that Sony has options for "bootable" and "compatible" shows that their solution is still not good enough right now. For players what matters is that they can play the game till its end. Bootable means nothing to me. Like "you will enjoy the title screen". Just say the game doesn't work. But saying "only 10 games don't work " are better in terms of marketing, right? Even if dozens of other games are just "bootable". Keep your PS4 if you like your games.
I mean it's kinda weird ya know? That's the kinda terminology I expect to see from the likes of Dolphin or PCSX2 you know? Granted like I said I am very curious and will test my multiplat library on a mate's PS5 because I want to see what 'bootable' means.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

Almost certainly speaking about automated testing.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Friend, you are the one who started saying someone was lying. I said they made a statement without doing the work to prove it. If Ubisoft is making an honest claim, then it's obvious Sony didn't test before saying they worked. How is that difficult to understand? Booting a game and running it successfully are two different things. If you are having to jump through technicality hoops to defend Sony, maybe you should stop, take a breath, and realize the a mega corporation doesn't need you as a white knight savior...
Yeah, it's bizarre that people keep denying a statement from Ubisoft on their official website. Ubisoft are listing particular games that won't work on PS5. What more clarification do people want? The publisher would never put up a statement like this on their website if they aren't sure of it. Even if the games boot up on PS5, they clearly have some serious issues that would make even Ubisoft classify them as incompatible. The publisher would never call their own games incompatible on a platform unless there's a good reason for it, because losing potential sales is the last thing a publisher wants.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
tumblr_p67h27fTg71vj8ggto1_540.gifv

Very much doubt there will be any Kinect support.
not only will they not, they have been clear that those exact games being the Xbox One games that won't be compatible. They are making a clean break from the kinect, and focusing on expanding and improving the BC library elsewhere.

Sony's messaging has been sub par, from Cerny's original statement, then for months back and forth about how many games will be BC until Sony surprised us after months of silence with a extremely small list, and now finding out that list is definitely about twice as long, and possibly up to 100 games. This is before even approaching the fact the digital purchases of PS1 and PS2 games are not carrying over when the system should be more then capable of playing them through software emulation.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
And here I was planning to check out AC Syndicate on PS5 (the only one I really haven't played). Guess there is always PC. Here is to hoping for a patch.