• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
1485.gif

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a fun commentary on the political mess the US is experiencing. The joke doesn't take sides but I can see the people whose lives are impacted not finding it funny. It's ok that they apologized but it's debateable if they needed to.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Making The Division 2 take place in DC and trying to be apolitical about contemporary politics is the equivalent of creating a minefield, getting black out drunk and waking up the next morning in a pit of sand to a hand written note that is barely legible saying "DoNT StEPP ON MinEs!"

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see a problem with this.
Would be an interesting tone.
The problem is the developers have insisted over and over again that the game isn't political
Give me a game about the conservative apocalypse. Make a statement. Be bold. But instead, they just use this like veneer of politics and buzzwords to give you a vanilla game afraid of actually saying anything. I'm still pretty hopeful for that game as being a fun thing to play. But yikes

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who went a month without getting paid, I thought this was hilarious.

Probably shouldn't have been made but I expected worse based on the thread title

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more inclined to be offended by Ubisoft's cowardly fear of doing real commentary in their games during these times of political upheaval and social unrest.

To be fair this is based on second hand accounts of storylines such as Far Cry 5's so I might be wrong.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Tom Clancy games are right-wing as hell, for as progressive the rest of their games seem to be. Even though the Doc Kandel (?) you recruit early on is a woman who has a wife (I remember a whole cutscene that effectively revealed that and that was the only information in it) that faux-progressive idea doesn't preclude these games from being gun-fan wankery. You are authorized to shoot looters who you in turn loot (alongside numerous electronics shops and mechanics). It's a goddamn mess. And Ghost Recon: Wildlands is even worse; maybe the most edgy, mean-spirited game I've played this decade.

The stupidity of placing Division 2 in DC whilst saying the game is apolitical is just...dumb as hell.
That always got me, how can you call a game apolitical when the grandfather of Right Wing Power Fantasies is on the box?

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed but I see how some people could be upset about something making light of an event with such significant ramifications in their lives.
Glad they apologized.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
That always got me, how can you call a game apolitical when the grandfather of Right Wing Power Fantasies is on the box?
By being fucking cowards using charged imagery and tone but trying to be middle-of-the-road in message. I wish they just leaned into the ridiculousness and have one of the enemy groups just be Republican Senators and House Reps who got a bunch of the militarized police on their side, trying to go full Handmaid's Tale on it. Just actually lean in!

I want a fake Mitch McConnell in a prototype power armour suit as a late-game mission boss, goddammit.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As a government worker who was not furloughed I thought it was funny, but I can see how if I had a family to support and wasn't getting a paycheck it would at least feel flippant and incosiderate.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
Tom Clancy games are right-wing as hell, for as progressive the rest of their games seem to be. Even though the Doc Kandel (?) you recruit early on is a woman who has a wife (I remember a whole cutscene that effectively revealed that and that was the only information in it) that faux-progressive idea doesn't preclude these games from being gun-fan wankery. You are authorized to shoot looters who you in turn loot (alongside numerous electronics shops and mechanics). It's a goddamn mess. And Ghost Recon: Wildlands is even worse; maybe the most edgy, mean-spirited game I've played this decade.

The stupidity of placing Division 2 in DC whilst saying the game is apolitical is just...dumb as hell.

The Division 1 was so tone-deaf that it feels like a farce. Wildlands even more so.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
By being fucking cowards using charged imagery and tone but trying to be middle-of-the-road in message. I wish they just leaned into the ridiculousness and have one of the enemy groups just be Republican Senators and House Reps who got a bunch of the militarized police on their side, trying to go full Handmaid's Tale on it. Just actually lean in!

I want a fake Mitch McConnell in a prototype power armour suit as a late-game mission boss, goddammit.
You have to protect a baby clone of Ronald Reagan from a cult lead by a Dick Cheney who gains super powers by changing out different animal hearts with his own.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I was honestly expecting something extremely racist or sexist or transphobic or anything along those lines based on the thread title. This is much better.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even notice and that email reminded me to sign up for the beta a few hours ago. I thought the apology was because I wasn't supposed to get the invite.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Far Cry 2 was an overtly political game that at the same time never actually took a stance on anything beyond "The protagonist of this game can go die in a hole".

Oluwagembi: Do you ever choose sides in a conflict?
Jackal: Eh, I did it once, was a bad idea; cut my profits in half, almost got me killed. Never again. You sell to both sides. You can help level the field, stabilize the market, draw out the conflict to make more money. A big sale to one side doesn't generate repeat business. Both the APR and the UFLL are using my weapons. Now, they're in détente. Both sides are stockpiling - less violence, more spending. It's perfect.
Oluwagembi: But it's anarchy. Thousands are dead. Hundreds of thousands are displaced.
Jackal: If I pick sides, fewer will be displaced, but more will be dead. And I would probably be one of 'em.

Jackal: I'll tell you what's sick. People in the UK, US, fucking Canada, Sweden. They pay their taxes - and some remote piloted drone fires a missile into a public market to hit some warlord. Yeah, so maybe war doesn't happen for another six months, and the price of their gluten-free sorghum bread stays low. It's not sick to arm people. It's sick to bump off their crooks and dictators in protection of our interest, and then call it "international justice". These people don't have remote piloted drones guarding their interests ten thousand miles away, they don't have a war machine paid for with taxes, where I am - they usually don't even have a fucking government. The drone is the oppressor, the gluten-free sorghum bread is the oppressor, the AK-47 is the great equalizer. I empower these people.

A trend that began with FC2 and carries over to many modern Ubisoft games is to use the game's antagonist as a proxy sounding board for political concepts that the player is supposed to chew over of their own volition. This sense of "decide for yourself" is why you have those philosophical/moral/ethical debates with Socrates in AC: Odyssey. Ubisoft are not going to tell you whether something is right or wrong. They want the players to explore these things. Whether The Division does this well is another matter entirely, of course.

As part of this, Ubisoft steer clear of contemporary politics for the most part in favor of more abstract generalities. The political themes explored in Ubisoft games tend to be broader in nature and apply on a global scale. To more general aspects of the human condition. This is already evident in Far Cry New Dawn. And again, they tend to place the harshest political sentiments in the mouths of "bad" people so that it doesn't seem like they are statements directly from Ubisoft.
wordofjoseph55jf8.png

The one time Treyarch tried to get political with a super, super USA USA fanbase, they did the same thing, using Raul Menendez to talk about the economic anarchy of capitalism and the military industrial complex. They can express political ideas while also washing their hands of them to prevent backlash. If they give the player the ability to put a bullet through the head of the character who says things the fanbase doesn't like, that's even tidier.

Last edited:

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
What a tone deaf message after Ubisoft gave a tone deaf response on how this game isn't political.

Good grief.

Just because the game is set in DC this time doesn't make it any more or less political than the first game.

It's still just about a virus that killed a lot of the population and an agency trying to restore a little bit of civilization among groups that have used the incident as an opportunity to be violent gangs.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They shouldn't have apologized.

The rest of the would should be laughing at America right now.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
That's an amazingly good email headline and they should have leaned into it. I understand why they don't and won't touch the political side of things with this game, but I wish they leaned into it hard like Bethesda did with Wolf 2.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Just because the game is set in DC this time doesn't make it any more or less political than the first game.

It's still just about a virus that killed a lot of the population and an agency trying to restore a little bit of civilization among groups that have used the incident as an opportunity to be violent gangs.

Two of the enemy groups in the first games are Looters and Union utility workers. You shoot them on sight.