• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lathentar

Oct 27, 2017
Harris county reports 2k cases (they usually combine Sunday and Monday). If Travis and Bexar come in above 400 each, we'll cross the 5k mark today.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Guys relax, the Texas Hospital Death beds are available! You won't have to keel over in the waiting room!

Lathentar

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Travis came in "low" at 129. Still only ~340 away with Bexar and a lot of smaller counties still not reporting I'd be shocked if 5k isn't crossed today.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Where were the people saying that we are fine becuase hospitalization rates weren't too bad.

Death rates will start going up a week from now if it hasn't done so already.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Why is he asking people to take personal responsibility? Didn't they say there are things more important than living? That dying will be worth it? Or is that the type of personal responsibility he is talking about?

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe abbott should do something about the rampant mask "liberty" crap instead of gently chiding people. Your literally going to force the state into shutdown at this rate.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a joke.
DO SOMETHING

www.texastribune.org

Gov. Greg Abbott urges voluntary measures to curb coronavirus spread but says closing Texas will be "the last option"

Thousands more Texans tested positive for the new coronavirus over the weekend, and the state has reported 11 consecutive days of record-high hospitalizations.
The fact that he even considers closing an option is indicative of how bad things are getting. No way he even mentions it as a possibility if things weren't disastrous.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Where were the people saying that we are fine becuase hospitalization rates weren't too bad.

Death rates will start going up a week from now if it hasn't done so already.

Yeah, I live in AZ and I've talked to a few people here that argue things 'aren't that bad' here because the death rate is still low. They don't seem to understand a decent percentage of all these new cases will likely turn into deaths. Typically someone that test positive doesn't go straight to the hospital either, so it's like 2-3 weeks after cases start going up that you can really gauge the death toll.

I don't think a lot of people here are going to take this seriously until they have close family members affected by Covid. It's really sad and unfortunate, but that seems to be the reality.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My fucking grandparents and parents went out to eat at a Willy's Ice House (inside, of course) on Saturday. They are 80 and 85. Those idiots are going to get themselves hospitalized or killed to own the libs. No masks, of course, that's fascism. And my grandma is flying to Florida to meet her 74 year old sister and to then travel up to New York. I'm pissed that they aren't taking this at all seriously

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
..........Fuck it, I am buying a beer after work tomorrow. What a shitshow. This country (inc. A lot of states) is run by a bunch of rich manchildren who throw a hissy fit if things don't go their way and get people killed in an attempt to make $$ as a result. And people vote for these toddlers! God.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It honestly blows my mind some people think wearing a mask is unconstitutional and against freedom of speech.

Abbott should at least revert back to phase 2.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
..........Fuck it, I am buying a beer after work tomorrow. What a shitshow. This country (inc. A lot of states) is run by a bunch of rich manchildren who throw a hissy fit if things don't go their way and get people killed in an attempt to make $$ as a result. And people vote for these toddlers! God.
Just be sure to drink it in the safety of your own home!

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
My fucking grandparents and parents went out to eat at a Willy's Ice House (inside, of course) on Saturday. They are 80 and 85. Those idiots are going to get themselves hospitalized or killed to own the libs. No masks, of course, that's fascism. And my grandma is flying to Florida to meet her 74 year old sister and to then travel up to New York. I'm pissed that they aren't taking this at all seriously

I'm surprised air travel is still an option in America, blows my mind

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
As a teacher, there's no way we'll be back in the buildings in August (even if that's late August). I don't know any district that has set plans in place yet, and there's only about a month and a half until school usually starts back up. With these numbers continuing to rise with seemingly no end in sight thanks to not only a national government that refuses to do anything about, but a state one too, throwing a bunch of people into buildings in close proximity would be fucking stupid.

Abbott might be saying we can reopen with absolutely no need for masks/testing, but a hell of a lot can and probably will change in the next month. Once parents start complaining, I don't see that "policy" being kept in place.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
As a teacher, there's no way we'll be back in the buildings in August (even if that's late August). I don't know any district that has set plans in place yet, and there's only about a month and a half until school usually starts back up. With these numbers continuing to rise with seemingly no end in sight thanks to not only a national government that refuses to do anything about, but a state one too, throwing a bunch of people into buildings in close proximity would be fucking stupid.

Oh there's a way. In fact, it's still probable. I think most districts will do hybrid learning so only half of the students are in the building on any given day. Kids in elementary school would need someone at home with them, which would generally be the mother, keeping her out of work for another year. Schools almost have to open up this fall. Virus will still be around in the spring too so whatever they do in the fall will probably be done in the spring.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I live in AZ and I've talked to a few people here that argue things 'aren't that bad' here because the death rate is still low. They don't seem to understand a decent percentage of all these new cases will likely turn into deaths. Typically someone that test positive doesn't go straight to the hospital either, so it's like 2-3 weeks after cases start going up that you can really gauge the death toll.

I don't think a lot of people here are going to take this seriously until they have close family members affected by Covid. It's really sad and unfortunate, but that seems to be the reality.

Some people are on a Ventilator for more than a month before they finally die. You will be feeling the effects in your state's death toll for months. At least NY was able to shut down right as deaths started cresting, you guys are probably going to stay open and just keep the nightmare going, as a NYer I pray for AZ, TX, FL etc. and hope we're wrong and it's mostly young people getting it and the death rate is a lot lower

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Oh there's a way. In fact, it's still probable. I think most districts will do hybrid learning so only half of the students are in the building on any given day. Kids in elementary school would need someone at home with them, which would generally be the mother, keeping her out of work for another year.

I could see dividing classes into two groups (let's say 3A and 3B as an example, 3rd Grade A group and 3rd grade B group) and then alternating the days they come (One week 3A would come M,W,F, 3B comes T, TH, and then they alternate the following week), but either way it's going to be a huge mess with parents and logistics. I would certaintly prefer to teach in an actual classroom (especially at the elementary school level, online teaching was just not effective in the spring), but with how big our class sizes usually are (my two classes last year were 28 and 26) figuring out how to do it safely is going to be a bit of a hassle.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Like when a football player starts celebrating 5 yards before scoring, gets tackled, fumbles, and the opponent runs it all the way back to their endzone
Nah. The better comparison is celebrating when a team has a 2-1 series lead and is winning by 4 runs in the 8th inning only for the team to blow the lead, the game, and the series. Cause that happened.

561c290d1400006f003c80b5.png

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

Abbott might be saying we can reopen with absolutely no need for masks/testing, but a hell of a lot can and probably will change in the next month. Once parents start complaining, I don't see that "policy" being kept in place.
Both my parents are teachers in Spring Branch ISD. They are both back at the main building and are doing summer school with a reduced number of children and social distancing. It fucking infuriates me.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Both my parents are teachers in Spring Branch ISD. They are both back at the main building and are doing summer school with a reduced number of children and social distancing. It fucking infuriates me.

Wow, really? I'm with a charter district and our "summer school" this year is really nothing but small group tutoring online, and my mom teaches for CFISD and as far as I know they're not in physical buildings yet either.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
Texas hospital number went up by 302 yesterday. That's 8.9% increase in 1 day.
From May 31st, hospital numbers has gone up by 2027. That's a 120% increase in 22 days.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857

My school is doing this too but offering it in-class or online. From what I been told, the numbers for in-class are very small, everyone wears masks, and temps are checked twice a day. Meanwhile, the online numbers are very big. Still ridiculous that on-campus summer school is a thing right now :\

Admin was trying to get me to do summer school before the year was over and thankfully I had my legit excuse ready for them (surgery) to avoid that disaster.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its going to be that vacation tax nonsense thing. And if we do end up getting another stimulus check it won't be $1,200 again. It'll be $500.

I suspect it'll be the vacation thing plus about half of what was given before. So it'll be "Go on vacation and use this money, since this money is like double with the vacation thing!"