• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
An interesting response

I completely agree with his breakdown about the technical logistics between 30 and 60 FPS, but this response is a no from me. Games aren't movies. Interactivity is the point, and there's nothing wrong with giving people options.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be okay with sacrificing some prettiness to get a higher framerate. Most people wouldn't though. Look at the reception to Halo Infinite lol.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
I totally get why a guy who's job it is to handle lighting would want better lighting and I also get why he thinks "there's more to it than we think".
But I'm not him and my priorities are different. Give me 60fps.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My whole thing with this topic is if this were a situation and I was on a system that let me turn off fancier effects or other things to get a better frame rate, I would. Now, PS4 doesn't allow this but my sentiment is still the same. I realize in a way I'm saying "that stuff you put a lot of time and effort into, yeah I would rather it not be there" but I'm sure a lot of people would, and I'd rather just have options.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Still prefer how the game plays over pretty visuals that get smeared with excessive motion blur thanks to 30FPS.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I first played TLOU Remasted. That was 60fps, so I'm not gonna play TLOU2 until there's a 60fps option. Hopefully a PS5 patch.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with his breakdown about the technical logistics between 30 and 60 FPS, but this response is a no from me. Games aren't movies. Interactivity is the point, and there's nothing wrong with giving people options.

and interactivity is something we have been losing since 360/PS3 era onwards

cant touch things, the lighting is baked!

cant go there, we didn't model there because geometry and texture budget; return to battlefield heathen

cant kill that person, that would ruin our carefully crafted narrativessssss

cant give everything physics! we spent too much on cloth simulation for physics!

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting way of putting it, but no, the game would've looked fine at 60 and ran at a highly preferable frame rate. I've played 60 fps games on PS4 and they look great. Maybe rework your asethetics if you can't get
An interesting response

Stupid analogy. There are pretty agreed upon costs and benefits to doing graphics vs. frame rate. Just taking out lighting from a movie is not a tradeoff. Maybe take out lighting, but you get essential scenes in the movie that explain the plot?

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Personally I hope they crank fidelity and rendering way up and keep the 30fps on PS5.

The only time 30fps really bothers me is if I go from playing the same game on my PC to the console version– other than that I never really notice that 30fps is a problem (especially if it's a beautiful game at a super stable 30).
Yeah unless I'm constantly changing between the two or am playing a fast-paced multiplayer game, I've never really felt the difference in a jarring way. If something feels perfectly fine at 30fps and can give me a visual boost (I am a sucker for good lighting), then I'll take the 30fps every time.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
Spoken like someone that doesn't know that PC graphic settings exist. Pretty myopic to think that players would always prefer shiny graphics over game play.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020

i mean except the huge undertaking of making two modes of gameplay for a console? must take a lot of time and resources like he said.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
An interesting response

I mean df had a video on lighting just recently wrt how many iterations it takes to get scene just right, so I can super understand them saying no to doing all that stuff twice in the name of 'options'.

Perf modes make sense in certain situations but it never ever should be a standard like people demand, why restrict how a rendering budget gets used

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Yeah, I've seen the reply. Of course it's not easy, but like the rest, it's a choice to make.

Given this other reply, I really don't think he really likes the idea of 60fps regardless:

And I kinda disagree with that argument too (not the technical one).

I don't think this means he's against 60fps. He basically says that he wants the same experience for all players, visual and gameplay wise. This is the same thing as why Sekiro doesn't have an easy mode. It's an artistic choice.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Naughty Dog are always going to provide the technical showcase for whichever Sony hardware they're working on so I wouldn't expect them to ever sacrifice graphics, but gameplay responsiveness is still a higher priority to me personally, even in games that work fine at 30fps.

Good graphics will still age eventually, while good gameplay remains fun forever.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
whats the point of making your game look so good and running it at 30 fps when so many devs decide to use blurry aa to muck it all up.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I mean he's right, but doom eternal looks better than uncharted and runs at 60fps on console

It's more that Doom Eternal has much more clarity and crispness in motion than Uncharted does (because of the framerate). Uncharted's assets and lighting are better. Both games look great, for different reasons.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017

Things like atmosphere play a critical role in determining enjoyment. Even a simple thing like walking through a thick fog versus a thin one can alter a persons perception of how a gamer responds to a game. I think visuals are super super important for immersion in games. Also giving people options is extra work and maybe the dev does not want a game whose atmosphere is significantly paired down to achieve said framerate.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You just prefer the way DOOM looks, which is fine. But the actual assets in Uncharted are way more detailed than DOOM
But Doom also has better motion blur, particle effects, higher enemy count and even more more dynamic lighting and better shadows. The same things that they have to try and fit in 6ms. Uncharted has higher polygonal density, much much better animation quality, and a lot larger areas with a lot more density but that's not the only thing going on in a game and there are areas that Doom genuinely is more advanced in even when compared to ND's latest game TLoU2.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Uncharted 4 at 60fps is still one of the best (if not the best) looking multiplayer games out there, certainly the best animated

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, of course devs that want higher graphics quality go for 30 fps. It's not deep.

Thread has some interesting technical details, but that'd be more interesting to see why they don't push for a 60fps mode to be available as well.

edit:
Those two tweets show well they have no intention of pushing for 60fps:

Which is a damned shame. It's funny how ND lauded the values of 60 fps when it came to marketing TLOU Remastered, saying they hoped it would become the new standard, but just a few years later, they're back to trying to justify the old status quo.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The 10f fixed cost for rendering polygons is a cool tidbit.

16ms - 10ms = 6ms vs
33ms - 10ms = 23ms

is a 4x jump in time budget.

Yeah, overhead sucks.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
Any number of reveal/review threads are rife with people demanding 60fps. Though, I'm sure the reality of having every game achieve that, would then give way to those pleading for greater graphical clarity.

I find a consistent and stable framerate to be the most important thing. It's nice to see it outlined, exactly why switching framerates isn't some magical toggle.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is more irritating then gamers that point to two completley different games and say "But this one does this and that and looks better so what is your excuse you shitty lazy devs!"

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
As someone who works almost exclusively on 16.67ms titles that look (IMO) very, very good, my kids are used to hearing me yell "and this is what they did with another 16.67ms?!" when playing some games.
I realize in a way I'm saying "that stuff you put a lot of time and effort into, yeah I would rather it not be there"
From a pure systems/rendering perspective, it's not really the time we put in, it's that we want to be able to make certain decisions and leverage them, and a large parameter space at runtime makes that harder, and you pay non-trivial costs for it. E.g. similar to the difference between pre-compiled GPU microcode on console vs IR on PC.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
But Doom also has better motion blur, particle effects, and even more more dynamic lighting and better shadows. The same things that they have to try and fit in 6ms. Uncharted has higher polygonal density and animation quality but that's not the only thing going on in a game and there are areas that Doom genuinely is more advanced in even when compared to ND's latest game TLoU2.
I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough in game development to know how to make games look better than they do, and I'll venture a guess that you aren't either. Both games look great and prioritize different things, I have to assume that if TLOU2 could run at 60fps without any major sacrifices, it would.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Things like atmosphere play a critical role in determining enjoyment. Even a simple thing like walking through a thick fog versus a thin one can alter a persons perception of how a gamer responds to a game. I think visuals are super super important for immersion in games. Also giving people options is extra work and maybe the dev does not want a game whose atmosphere is significantly paired down to achieve said framerate.
If the developer doesn't have the time or resources to implement a mode, that's totally understandable. But his response was specifically implying it shouldn't be done because, like in movies, people shouldn't have options.

Your argument is a bit of a misdirect, though. Very rarely do 30 FPS vs 60 FPS cut things like "atmosphere", or the general look of the game (except on very low settings). Usually downing resolution or shadow map fidelity or AA quality is what does it, not actually changing anything to do with art style.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I can't agree with that. If the hardware allows it, why not?
I definitely think he's referring to cases where the hardware doesn't have the flexibility (like base PS4/XB1) for games of the scope he's referring to. At a certain point you'd be offering like 540p/imperfect 60FPS and you gotta' wonder if the sacrifice is worth the guff you'll get online for it.

Definitely higher end platforms have good leeway for it, though.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My post on why this is particularly interesting and insightful.

The general assumption is that 30fps gives you double the frame time for additional graphical bells and whilstles etc, but as this more detailed analysis highlights, it's actually in some cases 4x more for graphics extras, as the rendering time for base elements eats away a large portion of that frame time, so the remaining amount is far more limited to the point where the difference is massively exasperated with a 30fps game vs a 60fps one.

Last edited:

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
"I don't see it changing any time soon."

Drill this into your heads people, over and over again. 30fps will always be with us, and that's a good thing.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
This is obviously a pretty fucking terrible response because PC games have had detailed graphics settings for decades and they function just fine without upsetting the "art" of the game.
I mean, yours is a "pretty fucking terrible response". ND games don't launch on PC (so far), and because they don't, they don't have to spend the time and resources to optimize around all of the different pieces of hardware that is available on that platform, and because they don't, they're free to spend those resources on other aspects of their games.

I say this as a predominantly PC player with a high end rig. I can still point some of the reasons why ND games look so much better than almost any other game.

Status
Not open for further replies.