• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doing a semi regular search on the earc uncompressed audio issue of the C9's and it looks like the update is coming in June.

However, the fix does not work on smart TV apps and will never work. Same with the CX there.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
My 55" LG CX arrived this morning.

h8Ri5oP.jpg

It's upgrading an eight year old 1080p LCD TV. My old faithful 46" Sony KDL-46BX450.

Geez, I haven't even taken full advantage of my C9 yet, but it's already old news. :(

Congrats!

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Can someone tell me (and other people who are interested ofc) if HDMI 2.1 is a must have feature? I mean most if not all xb series X and ps5 games are targeting 4k60, and Ryan from ign and i think someone from Virtuous games explain that if 120fps is an option it would be at 1080p(video below). I would guess that Virtuous games has the know bc they work closely on a large majority of games.

Most tv's with HDMI 2.0 also have ALLM and VRR downported to the 2.0 spec.

So is a 4ktv with an HDMI 2.1 port really necessary this gen if you only play on consoles? im not really a super techy guy, at least not as most people here. So if someone could explain that would be wonderful : )

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone tell me (and other people who are interested ofc) if HDMI 2.1 is a must have feature? I mean most if not all xb series X and ps5 games are targeting 4k60, and Ryan from ign and i think someone from Virtuous games explain that if 120fps is an option it would be at 1080p(video below). I would guess that Virtuous games has the know bc they work closely on a large majority of games.

So is a 4ktv with an HDMI 2.1 port really necessary this gen if you only play on consoles? im not really a super techy guy, at least not as most people here. So if someone could explain that would be wonderful : )

Most 2.0 have vrr?? Since when?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

MS said that they have Gears 5 running at over 100fps on Series X. Even if a minority of games exceed 60fps, I love the high framerate so much that I would only get a high end TV with HDMI 2.1 or If I was looking more mid range, I'd wait

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax

Since when does hdmi 2.0 do VRR? I'm not even sure ALLM is available on 2.0.

Are these features essential to a good TV experience while gaming? No. They're a premium at the moment for sure.

If you have the money, no harm in future proofing.

What are you looking to get/spend?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

Are these features essential to a good TV experience while gaming? No. They're a premium at the moment for sure.

ALLM and VRR are both available on HDMI 2.0. My Q90R does both.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
MS said that they have Gears 5 running at over 100fps on Series X. Even if a minority of games exceed 60fps, I love the high framerate so much that I would only get a high end TV with HDMI 2.1 or If I was looking more mid range, I'd wait
Wasnt that the multiplayer? Could have sworn that digital foundy said 60. Also i highly doubt it would be 4k120 at that point. 4k120 is really taxing abd if even ryan from ign said 4k60 for campain abd 1080p120 for multiplayer i believe him bc thats also what viruous games said.

Also we must not forget that gears 5 is basically a back compat game. True 9th gen games will probably be allot more taxing on the hardware than gears 5( not throwing gears under the bus ofc)

I already got a samsung qled a while ago. Im more asking for a friend. He wants to spend 1000 euros max. Dont think he wants to go oled bc hes afraid of burn in. Im not going to change his mind on that. But im thinking a q70 or q80r would be a good fit for him. But its 2.0, but does have allm vrr and 120fps at 1440p max.

Last edited:

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I could have sworn it was, but I can't find any articles confirming it, so I must have made it up!

The term "HDMI 2.1" has become next to meaningless from a consumer perspective, so I'm not sure it really matters what the XB1X is labeled as.

The actually pertinent details are:
- It supports several features originally announced as part of the HDMI 2.1 spec, including HDMI Forum VRR, eARC, and ALLM.
- It does not support the bandwidth necessary for the HDMI 2.1 "Ultra High Speed" cable designation, i.e. 48 Gbps.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Not exactly a tv question but will current headphones take advantage of the ps5 3d audio and TV sound bars too? Or will we have to buy new headphones that support it fully? My friend is thinking of jumping the gun on a new pair of astros but isnt sure if they will support the features.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Not exactly a tv question but will current headphones take advantage of the ps5 3d audio and TV sound bars too? Or will we have to buy new headphones that support it fully? My friend is thinking of jumping the gun on a new pair of astros but isnt sure if they will support the features.
Whilst I can't answer your questions fully, I'd hold off for now.

Astro's have typically relied on the SPDIF output IIRC, and the XSX at least has ditched this.

Of course, the Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic and Tempest are all designed around stero anyway I believe, so he'd be better off with some 'proper' stereo cans, I'd wager for these technologies.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I have a weird problem here.

I just got a Vizio M507-G1, and it works great with my PS4, but on PC, the only resolution I can pick is 1080p, but going onto a website says that I'm outputting 720p (everything is sharp, but really big like 720p). Would it be the hdmi cord, the tv, or the gpu (currently RTX 2060)?

EDIT - Never mind, I figured it out!

Last edited:

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what's taking the usual suspects so long to review the CX. I want to know if that Forbes article about higher peak brightness was just hot air.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Whilst I can't answer your questions fully, I'd hold off for now.

Astro's have typically relied on the SPDIF output IIRC, and the XSX at least has ditched this.

Of course, the Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic and Tempest are all designed around stero anyway I believe, so he'd be better off with some 'proper' stereo cans, I'd wager for these technologies.
You mean astros are not high end enough? Jesus how much will these high end sets cost?!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
And headphones you plug into the pad should be fine

Jun 10, 2018
If the headset supports surround sound, then the headphones surround sound would have to be turned off because it will affect the virtual surround/3d audio.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes normal headphones are all you will ever need.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Come on, give us more deets.

How you finding it? Best game so far on it? How're are movies? How big of a jump you find it over your old Sony?

I'm pretty much an OLED convert now. The blacks are so good. It's kind of ruined other LCD screens for me. Best game would have to be either Ori or FFVII remake. Movies are downright incredible. I watched Minions on it and it was insane how good it was. I'm still getting the hang of what I want my 24p settings to be. Right now I'm only using RealCinema to do a 5:5 pull down and that's about it. The TrueMotion was just a tad too inconsistent for me on fast moving scenes. It's only a tad dimmer than what I expected coming in knowing it was an OLED and that it would be dimmer than an LCD. My iPad is definitely brighter than it in most respects. Even so, it's amazing to watch everything change as HDR kicks in.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty much an OLED convert now. The blacks are so good. It's kind of ruined other LCD screens for me. Best game would have to be either Ori or FFVII remake. Movies are downright incredible. I watched Minions on it and it was insane how good it was. I'm still getting the hang of what I want my 24p settings to be. Right now I'm only using RealCinema to do a 5:5 pull down and that's about it. The TrueMotion was just a tad too inconsistent for me on fast moving scenes. It's only a tad dimmer than what I expected coming in knowing it was an OLED and that it would be dimmer than an LCD. My iPad is definitely brighter than it in most respects. Even so, it's amazing to watch everything change as HDR kicks in.

Appreciate the reply thanks. Had my eye on one but my financial status has changed recently. Hopefully by next gen launch everything is back to normal.

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
I just got an LG C9, having it delivered at the weekend and I've got some soundbar related questions if anyone could help me out.

I don't have a receiver cus I'm not looking to complicate setup (studio apartment). I'm trying to find a Dolby Atmos capable soundbar that'll fit under the C9's low profile... but also pass through the TV's 4KHDR 120 and VRR. Do I need an HDMI 2.1 capable soundbar or will something like the LG SL8YG work just fine? (looking at the primarily for the Google Assistant compatibility and the fact I know it'll fit under the tv without blocking IR, even if it's not got the greatest sound - as I said, Studio apartment).

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Im still using the old samsung tv type, it is 1920*1080/60hz. Should i be fine or buy a new tv for inevitable ps5? I havent replaced mine with a new one since it is not broken yet.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I just got an LG C9, having it delivered at the weekend and I've got some soundbar related questions if anyone could help me out.

I don't have a receiver cus I'm not looking to complicate setup (studio apartment). I'm trying to find a Dolby Atmos capable soundbar that'll fit under the C9's low profile... but also pass through the TV's 4KHDR 120 and VRR. Do I need an HDMI 2.1 capable soundbar or will something like the LG SL8YG work just fine? (looking at the primarily for the Google Assistant compatibility and the fact I know it'll fit under the tv without blocking IR, even if it's not got the greatest sound - as I said, Studio apartment).

Don't worry about Atmos or passthrough.

2 Options. Connect the soundbar to HDMI 2/ARC and have 3 direct HDMI connections.

Or, you use all 4 HDMI connections to the TV and just run optical to the soundbar.

HDMI ARC is nicer since it can use CEC to allow 1 remote to turn everything on/off and control the volume with the main remote.

Find reviews for the best sounding bar inside your budget and dimensions.

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry about Atmos or passthrough.

2 Options. Connect the soundbar to HDMI 2/ARC and have 3 direct HDMI connections.

Or, you use all 4 HDMI connections to the TV and just run optical to the soundbar.

HDMI ARC is nicer since it can use CEC to allow 1 remote to turn everything on/off and control the volume with the main remote.

Find reviews for the best sounding bar inside your budget and dimensions.

Got it, thanks, I'll probably go with the ARC option then.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You may want to get a soundbar that supports eARC. It'll help out with audio sync and decrease the likelihood of errors. I am using a slightly old receiver with ARC along with my E9 and it has given me so many issues. It's an older HDMI 1.4 Pioneer receiver which is probably why, but I don't want to drop any money on a new receiver unless it's HDMI 2.1 so I'm waiting. But there are a fair amount of audio lag issues I'm dealing with, especially with my PC connection since it can't send 5.1 PCM audio to the TV. It's gotta be encoded in an Atmos bitstream which also creates lag when sent as ARC from the TV to the receiver. Supposedly eARC alleviates a lot of the lag issues.