• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
The 8K TVs are stupid expensive. It's why they're doing this bullshit switcheroo on their models to push people to actually buy them, even though buying an 8K TV is the dumbest thing anyone can do right now.

I just need a 55" model, and given how the Q90R wasn't in 55, only 65 in the USA, I had been eyeing the Q80R or Q80T, but after seeing how much it got neutered this year, I've realigned my sites towards the Sony X900H. No price or date yet, but it seems that'll have HDMI 2.1, even though they haven't confirmed it. It literally has everything HDMI 2.1 brings (VRR, 4K120, etc.) so I'm waiting on that right now.

I think it's fair to say we are now in massive diminishing returns territory for perceived resolution gains, unless you go massive like 80" plus, and even then we are still upscaling to 8K for many years, excluding very old or undemanding PC games which would be able to do 8K at 30fps as of now.

Trouble is all the good PQ refinements will be locked into 8K sets going forward, really feels unnecessary tbh.

Deleted member 63832

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 14, 2020
Yep, someone here in a PM recommended me to use that one. It sounds like that isn't the "proper" one as the maker of a movie or show intended?

Cinema is the correct one and the thing that makes Dolby vision special is being "correct" but a lot of people prefer otherwise andthat is fine too.
Is Dolby Vision is big upgrade over standard HDR10 (LG C9 user) from 4K discs? I have an Xbox One X and I was wondering if it was worth getting a Sony X800M2 or not.

To me it is.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
'I,thought ISF dark room was supposed to be the most accurate - cinema is a bit too vivid? But now you got me unsure and I trust your thoughts
Sorry, I entirely forgot about those. Yes , you are probably right. Certainly for Dolby Vision , the cinema preset is the one to go.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
it's an overbrightened curve, that's why it looks brighter than your old TV. The cinema preset the"correct" one

OK, I will go check that out. For SDR content I already had cinema mode on and that's fine. It seems quite close to how it looks in the cinema. Sometimes I prefer a more natural look though as cinema tends to make some stuff yellowish.

So HDR in these Disney shows is still very broken. Does the same apply for movies like Toy Story 4, Frozen, and so on?

Cinema is the correct one and the thing that makes Dolby vision special is being "correct" but a lot of people prefer otherwise andthat is fine too.

To me it is.

Yeah at the end of the day the only thing that matters is what you prefer. Some folks love to game with motion interpolation settings enabled, me? Hell no. However I've been watching movies and shows with motion at clear and it seems very very fine. That's a first for me that I can stand motion interpolation enabled in a show/movie.

Speaking of movies, I watched 8MM yesterday, a movie from 1999. It just looked damn good on this TV. In some scenes it was almost as if the movie had been digitally remastered, which isn't the case. C9 stays winning for me. What a lovely screen.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm tryin to pull he plug on a 77" c9 or the 65" c9. But man the 77" is still so damn high

I know how you feel. I really want the 77" C9, but its price is so much more than the 65" (pretty much double) that it's really hard. My current TV is a 65" too—a Sony X900.

I did consider just getting the 65" C9, but spending $2,000 on a TV just to end up with the same screen size would irk me.

It would be nice to get a new TV alongside the launch of the new consoles, but I'll probably just wait to see what 2021 will have in store and stick with my 65" X900 for another year. We'll see though.

Mar 11, 2019
Ita best to turn the extra game mode options off. Personally i play in non game mode. Blooming supression is way better outside of game mode and i didnt really notice the extra lag.

(Got the same tv as you, got a 55 inch q70r)
The input lag becomes very noticeable outside of gamemode, and I dont see a reason to go outside of gamemode since I dont have any issues with blooming in game mode and image quality and upscalling seems as good as can be. Can you describe in what game/situations you are having this?

Could ghosting be from having Black Frame Insertion enabled (which in my experience can cause double images on moving content)? Or is this a different type of ghosting artifact?
I think the ghosting he is seeing is probably just motion interpolation artifacts. That can leave a trail like a temporal AA solution will.
Especially if he's got those settings cranked upto10
Yes it is because of motion interpolation, in fact it actually kind of looks like what you see in the rtings page under motion interpolation with the doubled transparent image (https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q70-q70r-qled). Not sure why only judder reduction causes it, while blur reduction seemed to improve motion without "ghosting" in the 30fps games tested.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
The input lag becomes very noticeable outside of gamemode, and I dont see a reason to go outside of gamemode since I dont have any issues with blooming in game mode and image quality and upscalling seems as good as can be. Can you describe in what game/situations you are having this?
Its not really that noticeable, it was just a heads up for you. Sometimes if there is white text on a black background you are really going to see blooming. And it appears the picture is allot more brighter outside of game mode iirc ( im not someone that calibrates tv's)

I really dont notice any major difference in input lag, then again im not a shooter player or someone that plays fighting games.

But yea, this tv is great. The upscaling is awesome, played luigi's mansion 3 on my switch on it at launch and men did it look sharp and colorful : )

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
the "cinema" presets are the best ones to use. You can leave them almost entirely unadjusted (I'd turned the sharpness down to 0)
Is there a way to get a middle-ground between Cinema and Cinema Home? I usually use the latter unless I'm watching in pitch-black and the movie's too bright. It'd be nice if I didn't need to toggle it. I know you're not supposed to adjust OLED Light in the Vision modes, though.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Is there a way to get a middle-ground between Cinema and Cinema Home? I usually use the latter unless I'm watching in pitch-black and the movie's too bright. It'd be nice if I didn't need to toggle it. I know you're not supposed to adjust OLED Light in the Vision modes, though.

The AI brightness feature should automatically brighten things up above the baseline image in a controlled fashion, based upon an ambient light sensor reading. I'm not sure which modes that is availble in

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Alright Era, I'm this close to buying an LG C9 55 as there's a pretty good deal here in Germany (it's currently at EUR 1,333) and I've been itching to upgrade my fairly old 1080p set, especially since becoming an Xbox One X owner looking to upgrade to the Series X at launch or soon-ish after.

As I want this new TV to be an investment into the future, I'm willing to pay quite a bit more. Still, I'm a bit wary that I might miss out on a thing or two, what with the CX models on the horizon. So here's a couple questions:
Are people expecting the CX 55 to cost around $2,500 at launch (like the C9 did)? And are we expecting another major price cut on the older models? I tried to look up prices for the C8 and its siblings and it seems like they didn't come down much more in price (still over EUR 1,000 generally). Anyway, while dropping a little over 1k on a TV is within budget for me, I wouldn't be able to justify 2 grand or even more.
Since 55 inches is already fairly large for me, the 48" version seemed intriguing to me but from what I've read people are expecting that one to be almost as expensive as the 55" version, right?

Beyond that, I see a lot of talk about VRR, G-Sync and FreeSync and I'm not quite sure what the difference is and how that will affect my Xbox Series X experience in the future. Am I correct that G-Sync and FreeSync are specific kinds of VRR as implemented by Nvidia respectively AMD? And is it correct that the C9 does not currently support FreeSync but will/might in the future? And, basically, is there anything I should worry about (based on the limited knowledge we currently have...)?

Disclaimer: I'm generally fine with playing my games at 30 fps. For reference, I played Hellblade in graphics mode (or whatever it's called) and I'm currently enjoying Forza Horizon 4 the same way and I think it's extremely smooth and beautiful. I haven't yet tried out 60fps on this game but when I did it on Hellblade I was immediately put off by the lower resolution of the textures. On the other hand, I love that Halo has shifted to 60fps and I do think that a higher framerate can add a lot to my perception of gameplay. I've never experienced a game in 120 fps and I don't think it'll ever be really important to me (but maybe I'm just missing out haha).

Finally, I've noticed that I've been putting off (re-)playing certain games (like Gears 5 and Quantum Break) until I get a better TV so that I can enjoy the "full" experience. And I'm not sure how much longer I'm willing to wait with this tbh haha

tl;dr: if there's any significant advantages to getting a CX (48" or 55") instead of a C9 (55") I might wait, but only if it doesn't cost me another 1000 euros or more on top.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to get a really good 55" 4K 120HZ for under $500? 120HZ isn't required. Ideally one that plays nice with any sound bar and has at least 3 HDMI inputs...

The closest I seem to be able to find is the Samsung RU8000, but I'm not very good at finding good comps.

Last edited:

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Thanks! Looks like I should be fine overall, then. Just played some Fallout 4 on PS4 Pro which, despite looking a bit soft (which is likely just due to the AA solution they're using), looks great at 1440p.

In motion you will be hard pressed to see the difference between 1440p and 4K.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
100 nits is usually
Is Dolby Vision is big upgrade over standard HDR10 (LG C9 user) from 4K discs? I have an Xbox One X and I was wondering if it was worth getting a Sony X800M2 or not.

It depends on your ability to see the differences, they can be subtle or pretty obvious, but you still will need to know what to look for. Then there's studio, colorist, and cost variables.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
If any is interested, here's a link to a audio on discussing the differences between pro and consumer displays. New display tech and 12 bit display tech as well.

Eye opener, for me. High zone count doesn't necessarily mean better. Its a balaance between zone count, speed of modulation and the capability of the algorithm used.

share.transistor.fm

Mixing Light Interview Series | Understanding Professional Displays With Flanders Scientific’s Bram Desmet

Trying to understand the value of pro video displays? Want to know the differences (and trade-offs) between the technologies? Listen on...

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, maybe one that isn't *really* good, but still pretty decent? Hahaha

Or one that hits all the buttons except is 60Hz. I guess true 120hz panels are super expensive. I have a 55" KS8000 as my primary TV and I'm hoping to find something that is decent-ish compared to that (I know that's hard, and I had thought the KS8000 supported 120Hz but it seems that it doesn't, just smooths to look like 120hz?) as a secondary TV for a different room. Eventually when the PS5 and XSX come out, my PS4 and XOX will go to this secondary one.

I'm not sure what the good brands are these days. The TV i'm replacing is an old old Vizio 40". 55" is the max width I can get into that particular spot. Is it still Sony/Samsung/LG? Is TCL any good? I remember being told Vizio sucks now, is that still true?

Last edited:

Mega Man X

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I tried a 65" Samsung Q80R but it's going back. The screen was horribly littered with both vertical and horizontal banding. Also, while the color saturation and highlights were nice in HDR, the blacks cannot compete with OLED (obviously) and the overall picture lacked depth. I liked the X950G I had better than the Q80 because apart from the dark corners, the screen was relatively clean and it seemed higher quality overall with better processing. Blooming and viewing angle were it's biggest weakness. To me, the C9's only weaknesses are potential for burn in and some ABL issues but it just dominates in every other category for now. I guess my 65" C9 will stay.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I tried a 65" Samsung Q80R but it's going back. The screen was horribly littered with both vertical and horizontal banding. Also, while the color saturation and highlights were nice in HDR, the blacks cannot compete with OLED (obviously) and the overall picture lacked depth. I liked the X950G I had better than the Q80 because apart from the dark corners, the screen was relatively clean and it seemed higher quality overall with better processing. Blooming and viewing angle were it's biggest weakness. To me, the C9's only weaknesses are potential for burn in and some ABL issues but it just dominates in every other category for now. I guess my 65" C9 will stay.

Yeah. I had a Q9FN and now im using a C9. C9 is just waaaay better in every way. Im in love with this thing

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018

Or one that hits all the buttons except is 60Hz. I guess true 120hz panels are super expensive. I have a 55" KS8000 as my primary TV and I'm hoping to find something that is decent-ish compared to that (I know that's hard, and I had thought the KS8000 supported 120Hz but it seems that it doesn't, just smooths to look like 120hz?) as a secondary TV for a different room. Eventually when the PS5 and XSX come out, my PS4 and XOX will go to this secondary one.

I'm not sure what the good brands are these days. The TV i'm replacing is an old old Vizio 40". 55" is the max width I can get into that particular spot. Is it still Sony/Samsung/LG? Is TCL any good? I remember being told Vizio sucks now, is that still true?

I wouldn't say Vizio sucks, but their 2020 OLED with HDMI 2.1 and 55" may be what your looking for. The 2020 M Series HDMI 2.1 also has a 55" model.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Why do you think 120Hz is important? Understanding your use case can help guide us to an answer. In general, RTings is a good place to check.
Samsung, LG, Sony, HiSense, TCL, and Vizio all have models worth looking at. In your price range, particularly the last 3.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Does anyone here know if region free players like this one here:

www.220-electronics.com

Sony UBP-X800M2 Region free 4k UHD Blu-ray Player Multi Region

Quality 4K UHD Blu-ray Player Plays DVD Discs from All Regions (0 - 8) Plays Blu-ray Discs from All Regions (A, B, and C) Firmware can be updated via internet at any time doesn't affect regional codeing Standard DVD region switching: Automatic Blu-ray Region switching - 1 Button SUPER Fast &...

are based off of the USA units or international ones? Specifically wondering if this comes with a standard USA wall adapter or if I'll need an international adapter/converter?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I had a Q9FN and now im using a C9. C9 is just waaaay better in every way. Im in love with this thing
I also went from a Q9FN (Still have it though) and now with a 77" C9. Loving the C9. The Q9FN is no slouch though. If you want maxed out peak HDR brightness and you view a brightly lit room, it is imho a better choice. But if you have controlled lighting and you can go for a little less brightness in HDR the C9 is the way to go. I love the C9 and if I had to choose between the two I would take the C9 hands down. It is just fantastic. The gaming modes with both GSync and VRR/Freesync is just great!

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Does anyone here know if region free players like this one here:

www.220-electronics.com

Sony UBP-X800M2 Region free 4k UHD Blu-ray Player Multi Region

Quality 4K UHD Blu-ray Player Plays DVD Discs from All Regions (0 - 8) Plays Blu-ray Discs from All Regions (A, B, and C) Firmware can be updated via internet at any time doesn't affect regional codeing Standard DVD region switching: Automatic Blu-ray Region switching - 1 Button SUPER Fast &...

are based off of the USA units or international ones? Specifically wondering if this comes with a standard USA wall adapter or if I'll need an international adapter/converter?
It says right in the description it works with 110 to 240 volts. American standard is 120 volts.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I have my LG E9 OLED I am stuck waiting for HDMI 2.1 receivers to come out before I can output 4K HDR with surround audio from my PC.. currently stuck using the ARC that only gives me stereo audio. Can't play games in surround anymore for a while :(

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
So i'm trying to decide between the LG B9 and C9. I'm coming from a 5 year old Sony, so either TV will be a massive increase in quality, just not sure if the extra 500 dollars is worth it between the two.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
EvilBoris Should dynamic tone mapping be turned on for non-DV HDR video content? I noticed it's on by default on the cinema preset.

If your TV has been professionally calibrated, turn dynamic tone-mapping off.

Dolby Vision does not work with tone mapping, only HDR10 content.

Most TVs I've calibrated do not follow the EOTF correctly, even in the proper Cinema modes, including Dolby Vision, so DTM is entirely a preference thing.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

TCL 6-Series 2019 is genuinely a really good to great TV except for it being 60hz. I'm super happy with it. Full-array local dimming (96 dimming zones), great black levels, quantum dot display with wide color gamut, and really good (for its price range) HDR with ~1,000 nits peak brightness (compared to about 360 nits with the RU8000).

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London

Most TVs I've calibrated do not follow the EOTF correctly, even in the proper Cinema modes, including Dolby Vision, so DTM is entirely a preference thing.
Oh no, personal preference is the worst thing you could have said to me! That's a guaranteed route to me spending an evening flipping back and forth trying to figure out which I like best.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I have my LG E9 OLED I am stuck waiting for HDMI 2.1 receivers to come out before I can output 4K HDR with surround audio from my PC.. currently stuck using the ARC that only gives me stereo audio. Can't play games in surround anymore for a while :(

You don't need a Receiver with 2.1 to get Dolby. I have a receiver (Denon x6400h) that has E-Arc and I am getting Dolby Atmos from my PC. I have the PC connected to HDMI 3, my receiver to HDMI 2 (arc) and I am getting Atmos with no problem. I also have my Xbox One X in HDMI 1 and also getting Atmos.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Ok y'all, sell me on your favorite TV for $2000 and under, my 3 year old little girl kinda ruined my ks8000 but it's been time to upgrade anyways.

What I want:
- hdmi 2.1
- great for gaming
- great HDR
- 65"

What's good right now, any deals to keep an eye out for?

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok y'all, sell me on your favorite TV for $2000 and under, my 3 year old little girl kinda ruined my ks8000 but it's been time to upgrade anyways.

What I want:
- hdmi 2.1
- great for gaming
- great HDR
- 65"

What's good right now, any deals to keep an eye out for?

LG 65C9. There's not really another set on its level right now.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018

My Vizio finally got a pretty accurate factory cal delivered in a firmware update. Luckily for me Vizio does 3DLUT calibrations.