• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
The C9 65" just went on a really good discount in Scandinavia (~$2000, never been this low).
I have no problem waiting for the CX 65" as it will likely be ~$2800 in October according to trends.
But if there's no point waiting... I read the one Forbes hands-on article that says image has notably improved (due to the 3rd gen chip) but that's for movies and the new cinema mode most likely. I'm on the fence.

Pull the trigger on the C9. Its cheaper and offers the same VRR, Gysync, and 4K 120hz that the CX will offer. Just my opinion but none of those new modes in the CX are worth hundreds on dollars more.

Keen

Oct 29, 2017
The C9 65" just went on a really good discount in Scandinavia (~$2000, never been this low).
I have no problem waiting for the CX 65" as it will likely be ~$2800 in October according to trends.
But if there's no point waiting... I read the one Forbes hands-on article that says image has notably improved (due to the 3rd gen chip) but that's for movies and the new cinema mode most likely. I'm on the fence.

Where? It was 19900 sek, or so, at Elgiganten/Elkjöp during Black Friday, but haven't seen it that low since!

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been eyeing a 65" C9 for a while but then I heard about this Hisense dual cell tech coming in Q3. I understand they're going to undercut this year's OLED models, does anyone have any idea about where that's going to place it as far as price point? Is there any reason I should even wait? I don't use my TV for games at all.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been eyeing a 65" C9 for a while but then I heard about this Hisense dual cell tech coming in Q3. I understand they're going to undercut this year's OLED models, does anyone have any idea about where that's going to place it as far as price point? Is there any reason I should even wait? I don't use my TV for games at all.

They say "a lot less", but it still has a lot of the LED drawbacks, it just beats QLED.

Panasonic's MegaCon tech is much more impressive. No word on pricing there either.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Well I did it. They just came to pick up the 65" PQX for the return.

Accepted the $1899 offer (Greentoe) for 65" C9, tax and shipping included! Can't wait to get it. As much as I tried to be happy with the 900F, and then PQX I just couldn't look passed their shortcomings (blooming, super narrow viewing angles, banding), despite the much cheaper prices. It would make me NOT want to watch or game on them as much.

It's gonna be nice being able to sit on either end of the couch or lay down and be lazy, and not suffer with the crappy viewing angles and exaggerated blooming from literally being a few inches off center lol.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Has anyone been using an OLED as a computer monitor? I'm tempted to do so with the 48"

I've tried my C9 with a little bit of web browsing and so on. But at 65" it is in no way practical and feels massive even with DPI scaling and sitting further back, which aren't really an issue when playing games but only when using it on the desktop. So the 48" model interests me too as it's borderline desktop compatible. I think it would work fine but you would really want a monitor arm or wall mount or at the very least a deep desk to push the monitor far enough that it does not feel overbearingly massive and the low PPI becomes a non-issue. I really dislike the LG stand and the way it pokes far out the back.

Nov 1, 2017
DAMMIT. just bought it two weeks ago for 580 with tax. I would say yes. I love it so far.
I was very tempted to by the TCL 6 series on sale but decided to hold off after reading so many complaints about how its not so great with motion, juddering and stuttering really bothers me.

Am I making a mistake waiting for the Hisense H9F to go on sale? I'm planning on grabbing that instead because apparently it handles motion a lot better.

Oct 29, 2017
I was very tempted to by the TCL 6 series on sale but decided to hold off after reading so many complaints about how its not so great with motion, juddering and stuttering really bothers me.

Am I making a mistake waiting for the Hisense H9F to go on sale? I'm planning on grabbing that instead because apparently it handles motion a lot better.
I personally have not had issues with the motion or juddering but I might not be sensitive to that sort of thing.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, let's see if they're the ones to overcome the challenges. I can understand why they'd focus on MicroLED, but until someone develops that fabled consumer set, it means nothing. If they can't, they'll pivot back to OLED in the short term.

It's all about reducing the price of their OLEDs, which they currently haven't been able to do, and more competition is hitting the market in the sub $2,000 area. This year was supposed to be the year where the prices dropped quite a bit, but they couldn't make it happen, and next year they likely won't either. LG also highlighted that burn in is a problem.

If you watch the video, it goes on to say that even though mLED is cost-prohibitive right now, even if LG manages to get their shit together within two years it might be too little too late since everyone else's emergent technologies will have also significantly dropped in price compared to right now. Once mLED matches the cost of OLED for the panel size, it will render OLED completely irrelevant. There's also dual cell LCD now too, which actually looks somewhat promising.

Anything could happen though. Maybe these other panel types end up having unforeseen setbacks too.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's all about reducing the price of their OLEDs, which they currently haven't been able to do, and more competition is hitting the market in the sub $2,000 area. This year was supposed to be the year where the prices dropped quite a bit, but they couldn't make it happen, and next year they likely won't either.

If you watch the video, it goes on to say that even though mLED is cost-prohibitive right now, even if LG manages to get their shit together within two years it might be too little too late since everyone else's emergent technologies will have also significantly dropped in price compared to right now. Once mLED matches the cost of OLED for the panel size, it will render OLED completely irrelevant. There's also dual cell LCD now too, which actually looks somewhat promising.

I agree with some of that, but I do think that micro LED is still an "if" and not a "once" with the crazy challenges they face in manufacturing sets and mini-LED is a great upgrade for people that want an LED set, but it's not a total replacement for the benefits of OLED like micro could be.

Agree with Dual Cell and MegaCon looking promising though, the former is alright for a first gen product and MegaCon has dimming per pixel and they're both already scaling to consumer sizes and probably prices if HiSense are doing Dual Cell.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
It's all about reducing the price of their OLEDs, which they currently haven't been able to do, and more competition is hitting the market in the sub $2,000 area. This year was supposed to be the year where the prices dropped quite a bit, but they couldn't make it happen, and next year they likely won't either. LG also highlighted that burn in is a problem.

Anything could happen though. Maybe these other panel types end up having unforeseen setbacks too.

FOMO On Tech had a video about Samsung showing their QD-OLEDs behind closed doors because they were apparently pretty crap in terms of brightness and bad black levels (probably due to having less layers than LG OLED tech). It remains to be seen if they can get their tech up to par for next year.

LG was supposed to have their new OLED factories already in use but that got delayed, but I would expect next year to show more drastic differences in models and also OLED prices dropping due to inkjet printing which I assume Samsung also uses for their QD-OLED.

Dual cell LCDs to me are a dead end for gaming because they do nothing to improve upon the issues of LCD tech, namely pixel response times. For other content they can be just fine.

All companies seem to be investing in micro-LED development as it seems like the way forward so they don't want to be the one left selling inferior tech. So it's a race of who manages to fix any issues and get those things into mass production and viable products first. It's going to be years until that happens so interim technologies are needed.

This year LG still dominates in image quality with their OLEDs and especially the 48" model is going to be very attractive for high end PC gaming because it's a large but manageable size for desktop use and any other display capable of anywhere even close the same image quality is significantly more expensive. The only thing missing is picture by picture options which I really wish TV manufacturers would implement as it would open up a lot of options for making better use of large, high res screens.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Heads up, apparently you can get a big discount on TCL tvs on Amazon right now if you have Prime. I just $45 off a 50" Series 5, and I saw the 55" Series 6 is like $85 off.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Heads up, apparently you can get a big discount on TCL tvs on Amazon right now if you have Prime. I just $45 off a 50" Series 5, and I saw the 55" Series 6 is like $85 off.

"6 series" isn't really enough description for the TCL TVs (although I'm sure that they like the confusion). The 615 is from 2018. The 625 is from 2019. They are very different TVs. Make sure you know what you're buying.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Dual cell LCDs to me are a dead end for gaming because they do nothing to improve upon the issues of LCD tech, namely pixel response times. For other content they can be just fine.

I know you said "to me," but I don't think that LCD response time is a big issue for most TVs anymore. Or, at least, it isn't an issue with my Samsung. 3.7ms for 80% pixel response is great. The Sony X950G is at 4.3ms.

Alexander89

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I really want to wait at least until we know prices of the 2020 models but samsungs can be bought for really great prices over here. Q90 in 65 inches for 1700 € and 3100 for the 71-inch one.. 77C9 still goes for over 5k -_-

WIll I really miss HDMI 2.1 functions when PS5 drops? I wont be playing on PC anytime soon.

I still own a 1080p Samsung in 55 inches but been reading this thread from the beginning and can wait till PS5 but them prices..mhmmm

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I know you said "to me," but I don't think that LCD response time is a big issue for most TVs anymore. Or, at least, it isn't an issue with my Samsung. 3.7ms for 80% pixel response is great. The Sony X950G is at 4.3ms.

It is much higher compared to OLED which is in sub-1ms for all transitions. That is still visible as less motion blur. Then you have cost which is still high for dual layer LCDs since they are a new thing. Ideally we would see dual layer LCDs fit in somewhere between OLED and full array dimming LCD TVs in terms of cost.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
It is much higher compared to OLED which is in sub-1ms for all transitions. That is still visible as less motion blur. Then you have cost which is still high for dual layer LCDs since they are a new thing. Ideally we would see dual layer LCDs fit in somewhere between OLED and full array dimming LCD TVs in terms of cost.

Motion blur with a 3.7ms response time just isn't a thing. My old Sony X900A had a poor response time. Unfortunately, it was released before RTINGs was testing TVs, so I don't have a number to go with it. But I could tell where it had issues. It was mainly when a dark object moved across a bright background, you would see a black streak that faded behind it. Basically, I only ever saw it on the Xbox One Dashboard when I was swapping screens quickly.

I don't see this happening at all on my Q90R.

Motion blur isn't just due to pixel response time, though. The main component of motion blur is due to image persistence, and all peak and hold displays (OLED and LCD) have the same issue without using some form of BFI. In fact, OLEDs are actually slightly worse here due to their instantaneous response.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Dual layer LCD sounds like it will be great for movies. Deeper blacks, viewing angles, slower response time actually helps with stutter.

It does sound good - and potentially affordable as LCD is relatively cheap.

I'd like to see more work on motion resolution. We have 4 and now 8k displays but still 300 lines of motion resolution

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Dual layer LCD sounds like it will be great for movies. Deeper blacks, better viewing angles, slower response time actually helps with stutter.

A dual layer LCD wouldn't necessarily have a slower response time, though. I'm also not sure it would help with viewing angles. If anything, I would think viewing angles might be worse. I'd have to go back and watch the videos of that Hisense to see if that holds up.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They say "a lot less", but it still has a lot of the LED drawbacks, it just beats QLED.

Panasonic's MegaCon tech is much more impressive. No word on pricing there either.

Hisense use quantum dots , so their TVs could be defined as QLED too.

Megacon is a dual modulation system of the same ilk as Hisense's
Motion blur with a 3.7ms response time just isn't a thing. My old Sony X900A had a poor response time. Unfortunately, it was released before RTINGs was testing TVs, so I don't have a number to go with it. But I could tell where it had issues. It was mainly when a dark object moved across a bright background, you would see a black streak that faded behind it. Basically, I only ever saw it on the Xbox One Dashboard when I was swapping screens quickly.

I don't see this happening at all on my Q90R.

Motion blur isn't just due to pixel response time, though. The main component of motion blur is due to image persistence, and all peak and hold displays (OLED and LCD) have the same issue without using some form of BFI. In fact, OLEDs are actually slightly worse here due to their instantaneous response.

Yeah, I've not seen those types of trails in either my ks8000 or the Q90r

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I really want to wait at least until we know prices of the 2020 models but samsungs can be bought for really great prices over here. Q90 in 65 inches for 1700 € and 3100 for the 71-inch one.. 77C9 still goes for over 5k -_-

WIll I really miss HDMI 2.1 functions when PS5 drops? I wont be playing on PC anytime soon.

I still own a 1080p Samsung in 55 inches but been reading this thread from the beginning and can wait till PS5 but them prices..mhmmm

If you intend to hold onto your TV for more than 5 years, then I'd personally invest in a more future-proof product. I've had my Samsung 46" for nearly 12 years and hope my next set lasts me that long, so I don't mind waiting for the 2020 models during BF sales and spending a bit more.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I've had bad experiences with Dolby Vision and Apple 4KTV, first with a Sony 900f. HDR/SDR never in issue. Apparently the DV version that Sony uses results in noticeably dimmer picture when using Apple TV box. This was mostly just on Sony sets. The built in TV apps displayed DV fine, but when using the Apple TV, it would be dimmer. Even RTINGS was able to confirm this.

Then I swapped it out for the Vizio PQX, and apparently a recent firmware update on that TV did the same thing! There's a lot of people complaining about it on the owners thread and reddit. But I couldn't tell as much since when I bought the TV I instantly updated it and never saw what it looked like before the firmware update. And I never bothered to use the built in apps to compare. Also, the PQX's higher peak brightness was better as hiding the issue and I already made up my mind to return to set for other reasons, so whatever.

So here we are now and I'm waiting for my C9 order to process while I'm reading up on reddit and stuff, and apparently this TV also (recently?) started having issues with Dolby Vision and Apple TV box. This issue is that it has way elevated black levels. As in, the entire image can't hit pure black, including the letter box black bars. Lots of people complaining about it. Only "fix" is to lower brightness from 50>49 but then it crushes blacks. Again, only happens with Dolby Vision and issue doesn't happen with built in TV apps.

I just want to use my Apple TV, frustrating that Apple TV and Dolby Vision have so many issues across different devices.

You C9 owners with Apple 4K TVs, have you all noticed these elevated blacks when watching Dolby Vision?

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
After checking out the CES coverage, Mini-LED just seems like the logical, incremental upgrade path the industry will take over the next half decade or more. Thousands (upon thousands) of dimming zones is going to be plenty good for general buyers, IMO. They'll just add more zones year-to-year, make the previous best a step-down SKU, etc.

Oct 28, 2017
After checking out the CES coverage, Mini-LED just seems like the logical, incremental upgrade path the industry will take over the next half decade or more. Thousands (upon thousands) of dimming zones is going to be plenty good for general buyers, IMO. They'll just add more zones year-to-year, make the previous best a step-down SKU, etc.
It does sound good in theory but the TCL 8 is said to look worse than the Samsung Q80 and 90R and Sony despite those two having conventional local dimming backlight

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, have a quick question about a possibly HAUNTED TELEVISION

I'm exaggerating, probably. But this morning I woke up at like 7am in my nice warm bed to see that my X900F decided to randomly turn on. Not completely, all that happened was the Android logo popped up for 10 seconds or so, then the TV turned back off. The only thing that changed in the last day is that my Cable box (Verizon FiOS) prompted me yesterday to program the cable remote to be able to turn the TV on and off. I turned the TV on again afterward and once again got the prompt to program the remote to control the TV. Turned it off again after and it hasn't happened again since. Just wondering if this was some fluke thing with the cable box getting an update or some such. The only other thing I noticed was when the Android logo initially popped up, I heard some random bits of static, nothing loud, but I couldn't tell if it was from the TV speakers or the Verizon voice remote.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Man, my tv is driving me nuts! If anyone can help out, you're a lifesaver.

I recently noticed two 'transparent' columns on both sides of my tv. The image seems brighter within these columns, which is really annoying. It doesn't seem like the standard backlight bleeding (I could be wrong though) because they look like two 'perfect' vertical columns and not like clouding or something akin to that. I really hope it's some weird kind of setting that somebody in our household flicked on.

For reference I do have an edge led model, Samsung UE49MU8000.

also, I configured my tv to the settings on rtings but they change depending on input. E.g. going to my Xbox fires up backlight to max amongst other things, is that due to HDR? And why does it change again for certain apps (Youtube) for instance? Do I need to manually do the settings for each and every source, including apps?

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Hey guys, have a quick question about a possibly HAUNTED TELEVISION

I'm exaggerating, probably. But this morning I woke up at like 7am in my nice warm bed to see that my X900F decided to randomly turn on. Not completely, all that happened was the Android logo popped up for 10 seconds or so, then the TV turned back off. The only thing that changed in the last day is that my Cable box (Verizon FiOS) prompted me yesterday to program the cable remote to be able to turn the TV on and off. I turned the TV on again afterward and once again got the prompt to program the remote to control the TV. Turned it off again after and it hasn't happened again since. Just wondering if this was some fluke thing with the cable box getting an update or some such. The only other thing I noticed was when the Android logo initially popped up, I heard some random bits of static, nothing loud, but I couldn't tell if it was from the TV speakers or the Verizon voice remote.
PS Plus auto upload, probably.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense for LG to explore micro led if it becomes financially feasible to do so. Regular lcd seems like it is on the way out and mini LED to micro led is coming.

The irony might be China will pick up the oled slack. Then oled could become the lower priced premium mainstream option in the future vs micro led. LG then gets pushed out of oled like LCD.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
PS Plus auto upload, probably.
I doubt it would wake the TV itself, though. More likely it was an Android system update.

I know in the past, when sleeping in the living room, our Roku stick has woken us up because it did a system update in the middle of the night and the soundbar was still on, so out of nowhere we hear the "Doot doot do" startup tune and we're completely confused as to what's going on.

Took us about 45 minutes of scratching out heads to remember where that tune was from before we figured it out. Was a game on? A device left running? Someone hacking our security system?
Nope. The soundbar didn't turn off correctly. (The HDMI-CEC seems to have gone on the fritz on our TV. It's the biggest reason I've been looking for a new one.)

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I doubt it would wake the TV itself, though. More likely it was an Android system update.
My GF told me my PS3 was weird -- beep then green light on at 4AM for consecutive days. Around when I just renewed my PS+ and she was staying late during those days. That was my haunted tech experience. But you are probably right consoles don't send signal over HDMI when updating itself.