• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I got warranty from the store, but I can't be without my TV so its a frustrating choice. As far as it goes it only appears on red screen but now it seems to be burning in stuff I don't recognise. I have zero idea. The TV is nearly four years old now. For the fucking ridiculous price posted I could buy a new one.

So wait, your warranty will cover it, but you're just worried about how many weeks it might take for them to repair or replace it? Have you already contacted the store, and did they tell you instead to call LG? Often, in the case of older OLEDs, if your warranty is applicable still, you would actually get an upgrade like a B8 or even B9 since the store likely no longer can even get the B6.

I know LG's warranty does not cover burn in, but store specific warranties can.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
So wait, your warranty will cover it, but you're just worried about how many weeks it might take for them to repair or replace it? Have you already contacted the store, and did they tell you instead to call LG? Often, in the case of older OLEDs, if your warranty is applicable still, you would actually get an upgrade like a B8 or even B9 since the store likely no longer can even get the B6.

I know LG's warranty does not cover burn in, but store specific warranties can.

I'm lucky. They said they'll cover it and if they can't fix it they will give me a voucher for an equivalent TV in store of around £1300. Always buy warranty!

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Always buy warranty!

This was literally the first time in thirty odd years of buying my own electronics that an extended warranty has ever been needed. From now on though, I will be getting a 3-5 year for these kinds of TVs, but I would be waiting until March of the following year after release to get the TV too.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm confused about the HGIG posts, doesn't games need to be patched or done to actually use the feature? or atleast the console? It's like the HDR calibration tool, that does nothing because games ignore it for their own tool (NMS being the exception).

games need to be patched to automatically pull through the values for a game (replacing those calibration screens in game) but with dynamic tone mapping on or off you still have a secondary level of mapping being applied, which takes the image away from a "native" output towards a processed image.

this sounds like it disables all of that processing and leaves it firmly in the game's hands to deal with, which is how it should be IMO

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
games need to be patched to automatically pull through the values for a game (replacing those calibration screens in game) but with dynamic tone mapping on or off you still have a secondary level of mapping being applied, which takes the image away from a "native" output towards a processed image.

this sounds like it disables all of that processing and leaves it firmly in the game's hands to deal with, which is how it should be IMO
Have you heard of issues with the HDR calibration in the 7.0 FW? It crashes my B6 TV here, so I can't use it at all.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017

When I tested BF1 with HGiG on the white squares matched at 800 nits. When I used the custom tone curves, DTM off, in Cinema, I could get up to 3800-4000.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I still have an old Panasonic Plasma that I still think looks great. I'm thinking of buying a new OLED this Black Friday if there's a deal at Amazon or Costco or somewhere else returns are easy

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a C9 on the way. Would you guys recommend using the HGIG setting for all games? Or is this just a future proof setting for games that will eventually support it?

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a C9 on the way. Would you guys recommend using the HGIG setting for all games? Or is this just a future proof setting for games that will eventually support it?

While i need to test more in games that don't have calibration tools (like PUBG, where i noticed the biggest difference), I think i'm going to keep using DTM for now. I upgraded from a C7 because of the dim game mode, and i don't really want to go back to that even if it is more accurate. Maybe the consoles will be updated soon to use HGIG differently?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I see. Didn't know there's a statc tone mapping regarled of DTM being on or not.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
So turns out my newish subwoofer has been causing all my electric noise problems. Just connected an older Magnat sub and it works perfectly, even with the sat cable and PC connected. Warranty ran out 10 days ago, so jot sure what the shop will do tomorrow.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Hey all, it seems my parent TV has developed a banding fault, with the set itself being 14 months old(55" Samsung NU7100 FWIW).

What are the rights/processes they can go down to get this sorted? We're in the UK and I believe it was purchased on finance too through Currys(not sure if still ongoing).

I appreciate banding can be inherent, but this has literally come through over the past week, and was even visible on the Arsenal/Sheff pitch from yesterday. Grey screen added to highlight.

img_20191022_201047qyjfq.jpg

It's noticeable on pretty much all content. If not immediately obvious, middle left up and up.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Received my LG C9 55 last Saturday but only got around to opening the package today. Seeing how thin this thing is, I'm a bit scared of unpacking and setting it up by myself. Has anyone here done that by himself? I'm thinking of putting the package flat on the ground and pulling out the tv sideways with the foam that way. Hmm...

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Far From Home already 12.99 on iTunes, brehs. Still waiting for John Wick 3 to go on sale :(

Lg oled bros, do you guys use technicolor or cinema to watch hdr movies? I have been using technicolor for the longest time but didn't realize how cool the temp was until trying cinema a few days ago. Don't know what to do now.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Received my LG C9 55 last Saturday but only got around to opening the package today. Seeing how thin this thing is, I'm a bit scared of unpacking and setting it up by myself. Has anyone here done that by himself? I'm thinking of putting the package flat on the ground and pulling out the tv sideways with the foam that way. Hmm...

The box of the 65" one tore off at the top, so the TV could be free standing. Then put the polystyrene on the floor and lay your TV on it to affix the stand and put it up. I couldn't lift the 65" one by myself from the floor with the stand on to the media centre, but you might be OK for a 55", or need a hand there

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hey all, it seems my parent TV has developed a banding fault, with the set itself being 14 months old(55" Samsung NU7100 FWIW).

What are the rights/processes they can go down to get this sorted? We're in the UK and I believe it was purchased on finance too through Currys(not sure if still ongoing).

I appreciate banding can be inherent, but this has literally come through over the past week, and was even visible on the Arsenal/Sheff pitch from yesterday. Grey screen added to highlight.

It's noticeable on pretty much all content. If not immediately obvious, middle left up and up.
that looks like one of the backlight LeDs has failed

Billy Lee

Banned
Aug 14, 2018

I tried setting up my 65" Panasonic OLED by myself but I had to call my neighbour over to help me lift it out of the box and onto the TV stand.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I set up the 55" myself but I really shouldn't have, stupidly reckless of me. If there's anyone who can help you, I'd wait.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Far From Home already 12.99 on iTunes, brehs. Still waiting for John Wick 3 to go on sale :(

Lg oled bros, do you guys use technicolor or cinema to watch hdr movies? I have been using technicolor for the longest time but didn't realize how cool the temp was until trying cinema a few days ago. Don't know what to do now.
For HDR Cinema is the most accurate for a dark room. I use that for gaming on my X and for movies Use Cinema Home only in bright room.

Jun 10, 2018

As that TV is edge-lit, it looks like a couple of the LEDS may be dying (or have died). I believe the UK has better warranties then the US. So you should be able to get a replacement.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried setting up my 65" Panasonic OLED by myself but I had to call my neighbour over to help me lift it out of the box and onto the TV stand.

I somehow managed to set up my Sony AF9 on my own, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Wait for your significant other to come home or phone a friend. I had no trouble with my B6 though - the easel design of the Sony made it beyond difficult to do, as you have to hold it, insert parts and screw etc. Nightmare.

Aesop

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Total Audio noob here, I don't understand how to setup my Soundbar properly. I have an LG SL4Y Soundbar connected to my C9 through Optical Out.

When I enable LG Sound Sync it lets me use the regular Magic Remote for quick volume control but the Soundbar only shows a "PCM" signal regardless of what I actually play. When i disable Sound Sync and only use Passthrough i can still use the Remote for volume control but its way slower, and the Signal info detects "DTS" from my source files (which is correct- DTS 5.1).

Do i not get the real sound quality when I use Sound Sync, i.e. PCM stereo only? Whats the correct way to set this up? Or does it not really matter and the only difference with Sync is that my TV is handling all the DTS encoding so the soundbar receives PCM from my TV?

Last edited:

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I read/watched some reviews about the Panasonic OLEDs and think they might be a better fit for me. Problem is they don't fully support HDMI 2.1 (at least the GZ950 doesn't) which is a deal breaker for me considering I will mostly use it for gaming and streaming. Might wait for another year. Another downside might be the OS, as the webOS looks way, way better to use, especially with the magic remote.

Guess I will just see how low a C9 65" gets this year/early next year and decide then/might just jump on it. Then again, 65" displays could go down in price next year due to JOLED? Let's see.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I still have an old Panasonic Plasma that I still think looks great. I'm thinking of buying a new OLED this Black Friday if there's a deal at Amazon or Costco or somewhere else returns are easy

I'm not sure you will have the same opinion after a few weeks or so of owning an OLED. Just like when I used to think my Trinitron looked great before getting my plasma, and then hard to look at not even a month later, the same thing happened after getting an OLED. I still play some 1080p games on my plasma, but when it comes to anything that relies on black level for atmosphere, it's hard to look at (and that's not even considering the benefits of HDR). If you haven't already spent time in person viewing content on an OLED for an extended period, it's hard to really understand how much of an upgrade it really is in most ways.

I set up the 55" myself but I really shouldn't have, stupidly reckless of me. If there's anyone who can help you, I'd wait.

I did that with a 55'' B6 after getting it back from the repair shop (not repaired) just to test some things out. It was already fucked, so I wasn't about to lose anything anyway. It was surprisingly easy to set up...standing on the floor at least. No way in hell would I do that with a new screen, and especially not one that's larger.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't count on OLED getting cheaper than it is , they are going to remain premium products for quite some time.
JOLED is being used for phone/tablet displays first so is a way off TVs.
You've also got QDOLED and MLED coming too

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The box of the 65" one tore off at the top, so the TV could be free standing. Then put the polystyrene on the floor and lay your TV on it to affix the stand and put it up. I couldn't lift the 65" one by myself from the floor with the stand on to the media centre, but you might be OK for a 55", or need a hand there
Thanks for sharing the experiences, everyone!

I managed to set up the TV by myself yesterday but it was pretty nerve-wrecking (as Blackthorn said - I really shouldn't have done that). Minus lifting it onto the tv shelf by myself, however, which felt like a very very bad idea. Will have a friend come over to help me with that.

Fortunately, everything is fine. Watched Fury Road and was blown away - and it wasn't even the 4k version and I haven't done any tv calibration yet either (just went through the various default modes).

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I wouldn't count on OLED getting cheaper than it is , they are going to remain premium products for quite some time.
JOLED is being used for phone/tablet displays first so is a way off TVs.
You've also got QDOLED and MLED coming too
Thought the new Panasonic and Sony TVs are already using the new JOLED panels or will be using them 2020. If that's not the case then idk. Like I said, let's see how much the C9 65" is going down in price this year/beginning of next year.

Thing is, I had too many bad experiences with Korean electronics (mostly Samsung actually) and am cautious when it comes to buying electronics from Korean brands.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Hey guys

I just discovered the « motion interpolation » which could be used in game to help 30fps content for being fluid as 60fps. It's not perfect but it seems to be useful. For example the Q70R can do that.

Anyone has tried this ? I have no TV yet but I plan to buy one for 4K/30fps game with PC and maybe later ps5.

There some test on RTings but yours feedback are welcome ! Thank you

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys

I just discovered the « motion interpolation » which could be used in game to help 30fps content for being fluid as 60fps. It's not perfect but it seems to be useful. For example the Q70R can do that.

Anyone has tried this ? I have no TV yet but I plan to buy one for 4K/30fps game with PC and maybe later ps5.

It looks good in some games and horrible in others, but I wouldn't use it in general even if all games looked great. The input lag increases.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'll be moving out of the U.S. for the next 3-5 years and am looking for a decent 55" or larger HDR 4K TV to be mainly used for gaming that won't break the bank ($500-750 ideally). It would be best if it's dual voltage which seems to rule out the TCL 6 series. I'm coming from a 65" LG OLED which doesn't appear to be dual voltage sadly. Any recommendations? I'd go hard and buy a spendy set but can't do that to the lady of the house + moving expenses overseas.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
So looking at the current prices for the LG C9 and the 65" is basically $1000 more than the 55". Is the 10" really worth that much more?

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Thanks for the quick response guys. I have a 55 right now and I sit about 7 feet away. I just figured if I was going to buy an oled and spend so much money I might as well go up to the next size.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys

It adds input latency, so no thanks!

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I'm roughly 9 feet from the TV and don't mind having a 55" but see 65" is the recommended size for that distance. As I've never had a TV that size I'm not really sure of the impact but would people recommend a 55" OLED (C9) or a 65" LED for that distance? I'm comfortable with the current size, but maybe there's a larger resolution pop I'm missing vs the picture benefits OLED would bring. Going off the page: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Not on some TV like the Samsung Q70R and higher

Rtings specifically says it does:

"In 'Game Mode,' you can enable motion interpolation through the Game Motion Plus menu. The input lag is 39.3ms when you interpolate to 60fps and 45.7ms for 120fps."

Normally the input lag is 15ms.

Besides it's juste physically impossible for any form of frame interpolation to not add input lag, since it needs to buffer at least 2 frames to generate the interpolated one.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
What's going on guys,

So, I look at slides roughly once a month to check for any burn-in on my OLED TV (LG-B7) that I've had for just over a year now. Yesterday I noticed what I believe is image-retention from movies, normally I play games as well as watch a movie but this past three weeks I've just been watching movies (1 a night), what I've noticed is the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen from the letterbox are starting to appear on the grey slides. I was under the impression that letterbox'd movies won't burn in because the LED's switch off as the bars are black?

Basically, I'm a bit concerned about continuing to watch movies on the TV in-case they do end up burning in.