• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Better is a subjective term. In a dark room any OLED would be difficult to beat, but in a bright room a Q90 or any high-end LCD. That is true for HDR and SDR in my opinion.

Yes, I don't see how SDR or HDR matters here. TVs now will map SDR brightless levels to HDR brightness levels. The Q90R seems to do a very good job at this. I agree with your assessment overall. I do love the Q90R's brightness in all situations, though, dark room or bright.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I don't see how SDR or HDR matters here. TVs now will map SDR brightless levels to HDR brightness levels. The Q90R seems to do a very good job at this. I agree with your assessment overall. I do love the Q90R's brightness in all situations, though, dark room or bright.

The only thing that would put me off with the Q90R in a dark room is blooming. It is one thing my eyes always seem to pick up on unfortunately but I never see it in a lit room. That's why, when I'm rich, I am going to have a daylight cinema room and a blackout cinema room with the best TV of each tech taking pride of place.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
I recently moved and was at a best buy and saw they had a magnolia section. The Sony TVs were playing winter soldier and the their oleds blew the 950G out of the water. Definitely glad I jumped on the OLED train a few months ago

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The only thing that would put me off with the Q90R in a dark room is blooming. It is one thing my eyes always seem to pick up on unfortunately but I never see it in a lit room. That's why, when I'm rich, I am going to have a daylight cinema room and a blackout cinema room with the best TV of each tech taking pride of place.

By then we'll have MicroLED and it won't be a problem anymore. You'll just need one TV.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Went with a replacement for my TCL 6 series due to multiple dead pixels, and got a TV with the worst backlighting I have ever seen. It looks like there are beams of light projecting from the corners of the TV. It is absolutely horrid in any dark scenes. I will be getting a refund, and waiting for a deal on a better TV. I do not recommend TCL as a brand to anyone. These TV's have horrific quality control issues.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know there are mixed reactions to the TCL 6 series but I was still thinking of pulling the trigger on one this weekend at Best Buy because of the sale. There's nothing comparable in that price range and it's hard for me to justify spending much more than $500 on a TV.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I know there are mixed reactions to the TCL 6 series but I was still thinking of pulling the trigger on one this weekend at Best Buy because of the sale. There's nothing comparable in that price range and it's hard for me to justify spending much more than $500 on a TV.
As someone who just went through two of them, please trust me and don't do it. While I was initially happy, problems soon became very evident. My second TV has even worse issues, this time with backlighting. If I knew how to post pics on this website I would. It is the worst TV I have ever seen. It looks like there are four flashlights pointing towards the center of the TV. Horrible backlighting.

I just don't recommend this brand at all. If you are determined to get it, please check on the store's return policy. There is a good chance you will have to take it back. Great picture at the price, but it is not a reliable brand.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who just went through two of them, please trust me and don't do it. While I was initially happy, problems soon became very evident. My second TV has even worse issues, this time with backlighting. If I knew how to post pics on this website I would. It is the worst TV I have ever seen. It looks like there are four flashlights pointing towards the center of the TV. Horrible backlighting.

I just don't recommend this brand at all. If you are determined to get it, please check on the store's return policy. There is a good chance you will have to take it back. Great picture at the price, but it is not a reliable brand.

It's Best Buy so they have a decent return policy, but because the TV won't fit in my car (meaning I need to borrow my dad's SUV when I get it) and I live on the fifth floor of an apartment building, returning the TV multiple times is not really something I'd like to do. The problem is that basically everyone says the TCL 6 series is the best bang for your buck in that price bracket and that nothing else comes close.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's Best Buy so they have a decent return policy, but because the TV won't fit in my car (meaning I need to borrow my dad's SUV when I get it) and I live on the fifth floor of an apartment building, returning the TV multiple times is not really something I'd like to do. The problem is that basically everyone says the TCL 6 series is the best bang for your buck in that price bracket and that nothing else comes close.
Yeah, Best Buy is good about returns. That's who I bought it with as well. I also live in an apartment, and they actually came out to the apartment with the second TV, and took the first one back. They also are now going to send someone out to pick up the second TV to return it so I can get my money back without needing to go to the store. So, if you do get the TV and have issues, call their customer support number (1-888-BESTBUY) They will send someone out to pick up the TV for you, whether you want to return or replace it. Just remember that the return policy is only 15 days, so act fast if you feel you need to, and it should work out ok.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Best Buy is good about returns. That's who I bought it with as well. I also live in an apartment, and they actually came out to the apartment with the second TV, and took the first one back. They also are now going to send someone out to pick up the second TV to return it so I can get my money back without needing to go to the store. So, if you do get the TV and have issues, call their customer support number (1-888-BESTBUY) They will send someone out to pick up the TV for you, whether you want to return or replace it.

Is that because you purchased the extended warranty? I've never heard of Best Buy actually sending someone to your house to pick up a TV for a standard return, and I used to work for them, so this is news to me.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the first TCL R617 I got from Amazon had a solid vertical line of green pixels show up after two days. Took like two weeks for TCL to send someone out with a new one. Been rocking the second one for almost a year now

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Is that because you purchased the extended warranty? I've never heard of Best Buy actually sending someone to your house to pick up a TV for a standard return, and I used to work for them, so this is news to me.
No, didn't buy any warranty, was just within the 15 day return period. They have sent people to my apartment a total of three times now dealing with this, had no issues.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I will defend my R615. For the price I've paid, and I have friends who have the sonys and the lgs that cost 2x-2.5x what I paid, I am PERFECTLY happy with what I have. I really don't see a difference between what I have and what they have, not $1000 different at least. I got a friend to buy the same TV and neither of us have ever had issues. Though from the posts above, and previous reviews, panel lottery is a very real thing. Any issues I've ever had with the TV was because of the source material, I'm still not wowed by HDR nor do I 'get it' so this TV is perfect for me. Though someday in the future I would like an OLED, but I'm still super paranoid over burn in.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I've had my LG B8 for a few months now and noticed something strange - the screen doesn't appear to attract dust at all!

I'm just kind of astounded, I was doing a general clean of the room and once I got to the TV I was sure I needed to dust it but there's not a single spec of dust to be found on the screen! Pleasantly surprised.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Something wonky is happening with my LG B6, specifically in regard to the HDMI handshake with my Apple TV. Sometimes when I switch inputs to it, or just turn my AppleTV on, the handshake doesn't happen and my screen starts to flicker and go fuzzy. It's obnoxiously sporadic, and I don't know how to perfectly reproduce the issue. I've tried a different input, better HDMI cables, and a new Apple TV, but it still happens. I've been running this setup without issue for almost two years, so I have to assume something on the TV is going. Set is still under Geek Squad warranty, so I have a repair service coming to take a look at it on Monday. With my luck, TV will behave totally normally when they're at my house. Luckily I have video of the issue happening, so we'll see.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I've had my LG B8 for a few months now and noticed something strange - the screen doesn't appear to attract dust at all!

I'm just kind of astounded, I was doing a general clean of the room and once I got to the TV I was sure I needed to dust it but there's not a single spec of dust to be found on the screen! Pleasantly surprised.
This has also been my experience with my B7! I live in a very dusty environment, and my computer monitors get coated with the stuff within a couple weeks if I don't regularly dust. But I can leave my TV alone for months upon months and hardly a dust or a cat hair can be found on it. I wish everything could be so dust-resistant haha

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here taken their HDR brightness level below 50, on an LG OLED? Starting to feel like some of these raised blacks are a problem with my settings rather than every UHD I put in.

Is Tetris Effect's background supposed to be true black, because it isn't on my TV at default settings. or fisk's suit in spider-verse. i'm going crazy here

edit: everyone is telling me to use this tv for 200 hours before messing with the settings, ok ok ill stop

Last edited:

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Ordered a 65" C8 today. I am coming from a 49" X900F. And before that a 42" Panasonic Plasma. The X900F is a good TV and will be put to good use elsewhere in the house. But I couldn't accept that for the past 9 months I would sometimes be thinking "man my 8 year old plasma looked better here."

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something wonky is happening with my LG B6, specifically in regard to the HDMI handshake with my Apple TV. Sometimes when I switch inputs to it, or just turn my AppleTV on, the handshake doesn't happen and my screen starts to flicker and go fuzzy. It's obnoxiously sporadic, and I don't know how to perfectly reproduce the issue. I've tried a different input, better HDMI cables, and a new Apple TV, but it still happens. I've been running this setup without issue for almost two years, so I have to assume something on the TV is going. Set is still under Geek Squad warranty, so I have a repair service coming to take a look at it on Monday. With my luck, TV will behave totally normally when they're at my house. Luckily I have video of the issue happening, so we'll see.

I had that issue with mine till I updated to the latest firmware. Was fine after that. Turning the TV off, waiting a few seconds, then turning it on again solves it. Good old LG again.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if people are poopooing the TCL 6 series then what should I get? The price ranges for these TVs are all over the place. I just want something reliable.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So if people are poopooing the TCL 6 series then what should I get? The price ranges for these TVs are all over the place. I just want something reliable.
Well, there is the Hisense H8F, which is cheaper actually: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h8f
Apparently not the most reliable brand either tho, so yeah. :p

Otherwise, if you want one of the big name brands, you kinda just have to spend more at this point, or wait for a sale. I was eyeing this actually: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60-q60r-qled
It has 120hz refresh rate native, and is a good TV overall. It does have Variable Refresh Rate as well, but only on 55 inch and above. However, it's considerably more expensive, coming in at $1000 for a 55 inch. Gonna see what I can grab on Black Friday tbh, or otherwise just save up for those new HDMI 2.1 TV's next year.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Has anyone here taken their HDR brightness level below 50, on an LG OLED? Starting to feel like some of these raised blacks are a problem with my settings rather than every UHD I put in.

Is Tetris Effect's background supposed to be true black, because it isn't on my TV at default settings. or fisk's suit in spider-verse. i'm going crazy here

edit: everyone is telling me to use this tv for 200 hours before messing with the settings, ok ok ill stop

Also, some games/movies/shows have raised blacks by design. Like, Resident Evil 2 Remake and Shadow of Tomb Raider have dark gray blacks, like a film over everything.

Not saying this is your case, but have in mind that not everything is TV's fault.

Iirc, some owners reduced brightness to 49 to correct certain issues, but you shouldn't need to go beyond that to get perfect blacks on an LG OLED, afaik.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

It sounds like your black levels are mismatched TBH, the amount of hours on your TV should not effect blacks at all, and on my LG OLED the backgrounds in tetris effect are absolutely perfect black as is fisks suit. Check that your PS4 and blu ray black level setting matches the one on your TV.
Also, some games/movies/shows have raised blacks by design. Like, Resident Evil 2 Remake and Shadow of Tomb Raider have dark gray blacks, like a film over everything.

Not saying this is your case, but have in mind that not everything is TV's fault.

Iirc, some owners reduced brightness to 49 to correct certain issues, but you shouldn't need to go beyond that to get perfect blacks on an LG OLED, afaik.
Also this is a little bit incorrect. While Resident Evil 2 has a couple of areas in the police station that have elevated blacks, it's obviously done intentionally and does not apply to all blacks throughout the game. There are plenty of true black values in the game as a whole. There are areas in RPD that have greyish blacks, but IMO this is so it's not as oppressive, and to contrast when you go to the basement, where they switch to true black values for all the darkness and it's really stressful and anxiety inducing. The game is just color graded differently for different areas, you can see the color grading adjust when you transition from the shuttered wing of the RPD with the foggy/elevated blacks to the main hall for instance.

You see the same sort of thing in movies. Take Star Wars The Last Jedi UHD for example. A lot of the space scenes have elevated blacks for whatever reason, but the film itself also has plenty of true black values.

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like your black levels are mismatched TBH, the amount of hours on your TV should not effect blacks at all, and on my LG OLED the backgrounds in tetris effect are absolutely perfect black as is fisks suit. Check that your PS4 and blu ray black level setting matches the one on your TV.
I'm on limited on my PS4 and low on my LG C9.

I can occasionally see true black in stuff, like for example the letterbox bars in movies are always true black, or the first few seconds of Blade Runner. I assumed that meant my black levels and brightness settings were probably set ok, but probably not?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm on limited on my PS4 and low on my LG C9.

I can occasionally see true black in stuff, like for example the letterbox bars in movies are always true black, or the first few seconds of Blade Runner. I assumed that meant my black levels and brightness settings were probably set ok, but probably not?
Hmm, yeah IDK, are you sure the black level settings are correct when HDR is activated (feeding the TV HDR content switches it to a different picture profile) toggle them while running tetris or something and see if you notice a difference.

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, yeah IDK, are you sure the black level settings are correct when HDR is activated (feeding the TV HDR content switches it to a different picture profile) toggle them while running tetris or something and see if you notice a difference.
I've got the PS4 set to limited instead of automatic, and I think there's no way for me to set the TV's HDR black levels from anything other than low

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
So, I just bought an OLED LG B8 during the prime day. Promptly delivered before the weekend, happy customer.

But wait, there is a freakin green pixel when I booted the TV. I tried the pixel refresh thing, I feel like it become smaller, kinda. But not completely gone.

Anyone had the same problem before?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just bought an OLED LG B8 during the prime day. Promptly delivered before the weekend, happy customer.

But wait, there is a freakin green pixel when I booted the TV. I tried the pixel refresh thing, I feel like it become smaller, kinda. But not completely gone.

Anyone had the same problem before?

If it's noticeable, I'd just get a replacement now. Don't try and shrink it, because then it might be in their tolerances, just get a new TV.

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
Need to make a decision one of these next week.

Sony X950G 85" - $4500
Sony X900F 85" - $3800
Samsung Q90R 82" - $4000

Currently leaning towards the Q90R. Any reason why I should go for either of the other two?

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
tNtcsx7.png

This is still an incredible achievement. I hope all other manufacturers get in on this input lag war. I really hope it stays this way or goes even lower for future LG OLEDs.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Need to make a decision one of these next week.

Sony X950G 85" - $4500
Sony X900F 85" - $3800
Samsung Q90R 82" - $4000

Currently leaning towards the Q90R. Any reason why I should go for either of the other two?

I really like my 75" Q90R. I almost upgraded to the 82", but the backlight configuration isn't as good with the 82 as it is with the 75".

Still has 480 zones. But the 82" zones don't line up with the black bars on a wide screen movie, whereas they do on the 75".

75": 30x16 Zones
82": 40x12 zones

the blooming into the black bars was a lot more apparent to me with the 82" screen.
Also note that the 82" Q90R is 180lbs.

out of those choices, I'd still go with the Q90R though.

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
I really like my 75" Q90R. I almost upgraded to the 82", but the backlight configuration isn't as good with the 82 as it is with the 75".

Still has 480 zones. But the 82" zones don't line up with the black bars on a wide screen movie, whereas they do on the 75".

75": 30x16 Zones
82": 40x12 zones

the blooming into the black bars was a lot more apparent to me with the 82" screen.
Also note that the 82" Q90R is 180lbs.

out of those choices, I'd still go with the Q90R though.

Thanks. I plan on wall mounting it so the one connect box of the Q90R would help with the wiring. I'd go with the 75" version, but to be honest, I'm looking for this TV to last me 6-7 years so I don't want to regret the size later on. It's going in the family room of our new house which is 28x20, and is open to the kitchen so I want something that I can see from everywhere lol.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You shouldn't really have to adjust your TV for each game you play or film/TV show you watch. Calibrate it to a standard and leave it be, otherwise I think you will never stop tweaking it. Games have adjustment for brightness etc built in usually. That is why it pays to either calibrate your TV yourself, or pay a pro to do it - the piece of mind that it is just *right* and you don't have to constantly play with settings.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
You shouldn't really have to adjust your TV for each game you play or film/TV show you watch. Calibrate it to a standard and leave it be, otherwise I think you will never stop tweaking it. Games have adjustment for brightness etc built in usually. That is why it pays to either calibrate your TV yourself, or pay a pro to do it - the piece of mind that it is just *right* and you don't have to constantly play with settings.

I wasn't talking about adjusting the tv for each game or movie, I just said that some games and movies don't show true blacks by design and not because of the tv (like, the night sky is gray instead of black), so maybe that was happening. And I think I've heard that some people had to lower brightness to 49 instead of 50, because of raised blacks or whatever, but I have no idea if it's true or not. Tbh, not sure where I heard about it.... now that I think of it, I believe it was in one rtings review.

It doesn't matter. I'm happy with my TV, was just trying to help the poster. I don't care about calibration and I don't notice or care about most of the issues mentioned here. I don't want to sound judgemental, it's just how it is. I certainly don't play with settings constantly.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I really hope it stays this way or goes even lower for future LG OLEDs.

Why on earth would you want lower than 13ms? What are you, a cyborg? :)

I would rather that they reduce the lag in other picture modes, so "game mode" becomes a thing of the past one day and you don't have to choose between PQ and low input lag.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
tNtcsx7.png

This is still an incredible achievement. I hope all other manufacturers get in on this input lag war. I really hope it stays this way or goes even lower for future LG OLEDs.

Yup, in classic LG fashion, it took a couple of updates, but it is now fantastic. LG and Samsung have thankfully focused on input lag for the last couple of years. Sony are still weird where one year they'll nail it and the next not focus on it at all

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So, if I purchase a TV that has 120hz support and VRR (was looking at a Samsung 55 inch Q60R), am I still missing out on anything significant with HDMI 2.1, specifically where it relates to gaming?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, if I purchase a TV that has 120hz support and VRR (was looking at a Samsung 55 inch Q60R), am I still missing out on anything significant with HDMI 2.1, specifically where it relates to gaming?

We don't know if Sony will only support the HDMI 2.1 standard or Freesync too, so there is a possibility that you won't get VRR on the next PlayStation. It's just an unknown.

You also won't get 4k/120Hz as that needs the 2.1 bandwidth

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
We don't know if Sony will only support the HDMI 2.1 standard or Freesync too, so there is a possibility that you won't get VRR on the next PlayStation. It's just an unknown.

You also won't get 4k/120Hz as that needs the 2.1 bandwidth
Hm, gotcha. It's tough, because I really did want a new TV this year. The TCL 6 sadly just didn't work out for me, and now I'm wary of these budget brands, plus I'd rather have a 120hz panel and VRR anyway. So, now I'm looking at basically spending like $1000+ on a TV unless I get a killer sale on Black Friday or something, and it just feels like, if I'm going to spend that much, might as well wait and save up for next year, and get the full package deal with HDMI 2.1, at least if it still offers significant benefits for gaming. Does seem like that would be the best option for me now.