• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
So, as we cross the mid-way point of 2019, what is everyone excited for and expecting in 2020?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What does HDMI 2.1 offer over 2.0? What is so exciting about it? Sorry, am kinda out of the loop with new TV tech atm, lol.
Hm, I see. Thx for the info! For me, most of that stuff doesn't really seem like much of a concern except for 8K and 120hz, but I really doubt even next-gen that many (if any) games would actually support that framerate or resolution outside of PC. So eh, probably gonna be fine without it, I think.

120hz 4K is particularly useful when combined with VRR as it allows for games to work better in that mode and not be limited by 60fps
samsung is trying to exchange my 55 ks8000 for a 2019 UN55NU8500FXZA.

Which TV is better?

anyone has this tv?

The NU8500 is an IPS paneL, isn't QLED and has a much worse contrast ratio and panel.
The U series models are a drop backwards.

The replacements for the KS8000 was the Q8, the Q8F and then the Q80r

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
120hz 4K is particularly useful when combined with VRR as it allows for games to work better in that mode and not be limited by 60fps

The NU8500 is an IPS paneL, isn't QLED and has a much worse contrast ratio and panel.
The U series models are a drop backwards.

The replacements for the KS8000 was the Q8, the Q8F and then the Q80r

Hi , if you were to get 2019 NU8500 vs the 2016 ks8000 , would you still go for the ks8000. Or would you settle for a 400$ refund?

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now, the abl. I still have a big problem with the dimming. I can sure as shit tell when the screen dims. It's like I look for it - because I'm so used to a brighter image. Of course it only does it when the TV detects static images for more than 2 mins. So what happens when I'm 2 mins into a 10+ min Gran Turismo Sport race? I'm looking at a rather dim screen, which then makes the HDR less pop(abble). It's just disappointing and I wish the option to remove the abl existed. (And yes, I know what that would do to the screen).

That is ASBL (Auto Static Brightness Limiting). The only thing I miss from my LG is you could disable it in the service menu. ABL (Auto Brightness Limiting) is when the screen dims when something bright appears. I'm not actually sure if Sony use the same terminology but they have a bad history with both. I've not noticed either on my AF9 yet though I have to admit.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
So, as we cross the mid-way point of 2019, what is everyone excited for and expecting in 2020?
Is 2020 too soon for top emission oled? While everyone next year will be touting hdmi 2.1 as a new feature, LG have already done that dance this year. So maybe that's the big selling point for them to stick out next year?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I'm gonna watch my first 1080p upscaled film in my spankin brand new LG B8. Here is hoping upscale doesn't suck so much. Already ordered an Apple TV 4K and thinking about making the jump from physical Blu-rays to digital, until 4k Blu-rays get more popular at least. It'll be Spider-Man: Homecoming, in preparation for the film that it's premiering around here tomorrow midnight.

Oct 27, 2017
All of the LG OLEDs are 120hz panels. They will accept 24hz, 60hz, and even native 120hz at 1080p (pc games)

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're referring to with 50Hz. It's a 120Hz panel and I've played 120Hz test videos off USB on mine. I'm in a PAL region so our TV broadcasts are 50Hz and I've seen no issues there.

It doesn't have HDMI 2.1 so you can't have 120Hz over HDMI, but it does support 120Hz video via USB or through the built-in apps.

Which is it ha ha

So the TV can't accept 120Hz input over HDMI ?
I don't care about TV broadcasts as I don't watch TV (yeah I know).

Phenomenal television. Buy and enjoy. The C8 is apparently slightly brighter again but there isn't much in it. If same price, get C8, if the difference is 200 or more get B8
C8 is like 200€ more, indeed the brightness is different (800cd/m2 vs 700/m2) I don't know if it is really worth it ?

Jan 29, 2019
I've noticed something weird on my C9. Sometimes when the screen changes to a dark scene there is a small blinking red light that appears for a moment on the centre top right of the screen. It seems to be completely random when watching normal sdr content but It always shows if I'm turning on the tv and immediately displaying an HDR signal. Just a small blinking red light for a brief moment then everything is perfectly fine. I've done some research and it doesn't seem to be either a dead or stuck pixel. Any ideas?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Which is it ha ha

C8 is like 200€ more, indeed the brightness is different (800cd/m2 vs 700/m2) I don't know if it is really worth it ?
It can. I use it all the time with my PC on my B7. Only at 1080p though, no TV can do 120hz 4k until hdmi 2.1

Last edited:

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't kept up, are there any notable improvements expected for 2020 with LG already raining on the top emission parade?

Assuming top emission is 2021 or beyond, I'm just going to wait for a 77A9G to fall into my price range and pull the trigger. Hopefully this happens by the time next gen consoles hit the market.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't kept up, are there any notable improvements expected for 2020 with LG already raining on the top emission parade?

Assuming top emission is 2021 or beyond, I'm just going to wait for a 77A9G to fall into my price range and pull the trigger. Hopefully this happens by the time next gen consoles hit the market.

Presumably the 2020 models will feature the improved BFI that was supposed to come in 2019, but was pulled at the last minute.

I think the main thing is that we don't actually know how well a lot of the HDMI 2.1 features on the 2019 sets actually work, since we don't have source devices and LG has not enabled 4K/120 support via firmware yet. So there may be some flaws to fix that we don't know about yet. What we've seen of eARC has some definite issues.

Then there is also the question of what new problems LG decides to introduce via firmware updates late in the year, which they seem to do with all of their models so they can 'fix' the issue on the next year's model.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Which is it ha ha

It can't take 4K at 120Hz over HDMI because that requires HDMI 2.1 (it only has HDMI 2.0 inputs). It is capable of displaying 4K 120Hz video, however, via direct playback of video files or the built-in apps.

1080p and lower stuff at 120Hz is fine.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Is 2020 too soon for top emission oled? While everyone next year will be touting hdmi 2.1 as a new feature, LG have already done that dance this year. So maybe that's the big selling point for them to stick out next year?

Yeah I believe LG mentioned that wouldn't be next year but who knows if they said it because they were worried people would wait.

God, a 77" Sony OLED just sounds delicious

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
God, a 77" Sony OLED just sounds delicious
It feels like the only upgrade path from a 65C8. If I'm buying another TV it has be a larger size so 77" is the only option there and Sony has fixed their two biggest issues with the OS speed and lack of full bandwidth HDMI ports.

Also I've had my C8 for almost a year now and that's just way too long to have the same TV. 🤔

TheMilkGuy

Oct 27, 2017
My LG B8 that I bought recently in a relly good deal (in a direct conversion it costed me $970) had a column of dead pixels with 2 hours of usage. Had to deal with LG support and they will replace my TV for a B9 (it's not even for sale yet here in Brazil). Pretty decent customer support, I thought I was going to have a hard time with them.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like the only upgrade path from a 65C8. If I'm buying another TV it has be a larger size so 77" is the only option there and Sony has fixed their two biggest issues with the OS speed and lack of full bandwidth HDMI ports.

Also I've had my C8 for almost a year now and that's just way too long to have the same TV. 🤔

LOL. I've had the C8 for a year now...absolutely LOVE it, but yeah 65" is just not big enough. I'm willing to wait until 2021 to see what the OLED landscape looks like but I almost feel that 77" won't cut it if you know what I mean

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Which is it ha ha

Official reviews say the differences can be down to panel variance, so it isn't a big difference. Use the 200 euros to get a 4K bluray player.

And it does do 120hz over HDMI I believe. Just nothing over 120hz (2.1 does 144hz for example). Although personally I dont care about anything over 60HZ.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So about HDMI 2.1 vs Samsung's QLED VRR support...

I know that the Q series TV's support VRR for the Xbox One right now, but does that work for anything else? I'm not familiar enough with the tech to know how it works. Does it seem like something that next-gen consoles might use? Is the HDMI 2.1 implementation different?

VRR is honestly on the bottom-end of my "wants" for a new TV, but if I get it I'd like to be able to use it.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
LOL. I've had the C8 for a year now...absolutely LOVE it, but yeah 65" is just not big enough. I'm willing to wait until 2021 to see what the OLED landscape looks like but I almost feel that 77" won't cut it if you know what I mean
88" 8K? 🤔

If I had a house I'd be all for it (after numerous price drops). I'm nervous enough about getting a 77" into my living space.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm hoping in 2020 they release a 77" or 80"+ 8k display for 14k or less that is not attached to a huge base lol. Or a 80"+ 4k with all 2.1 features worked out and the missing 9 features that mysteriously disappeared. I'm ready to replace my 77" C8 lol

I set like 9' away from it and after about 1 week I already felt I could go just a tad bigger

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hi , if you were to get 2019 NU8500 vs the 2016 ks8000 , would you still go for the ks8000. Or would you settle for a 400$ refund?

I used to have a KS8000 , it's a very capable set.
You I don't think you'd easily find another set for $400 to replace it, but if you feel like a proper upgrade you could put that towards something else

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping in 2020 they release a 77" or 80"+ 8k display for 14k or less that is not attached to a huge base lol. Or a 80"+ 4k with all 2.1 features worked out and the missing 9 features that mysteriously disappeared. I'm ready to replace my 77" C8 lol

I set like 9' away from it and after about 1 week I already felt I could go just a tad bigger
It really is nuts how quickly you get used to larger screens. 65" felt huge for a few days and then it was like, whatever.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
83% more space for 1000% more of your bank account. ⚰

LOLx2!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised that this thread doesn't have any thread marks. I'm sure over the last 340+ pages there must have been some stuff that was noteworthy and worth highlighting for newer peeps coming into the thread.

thebigmanjosh

Nov 5, 2017
California
May I ask what model you got?. Have been considering a TCL 6 series 55 inch at the recommendation of a poster earlier in the thread. Seems like a good brand, and a good deal for $500.

You really can't go wrong with the 6 series for the price. The only problems I've had are more of a general issue with tone mapping inconsistencies across HDR10 content.

Sometimes games and HDR content don't tone map properly, and the only option to fix it (switching from HDR Dark to HDR Normal) also artificially adjusts the colors and contrast. It's not too drastic but I'd appreciate more granular settings.

Dolby Vision content is absolutely amazing on this set though.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
VESA-Display-Stream-Codecs-Table-REV.jpg

With this kind of support, HDMI 2.1 just keeps getting better and better.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm curious, Era, are HDMI switches useful? How bad is the degradation in quality?

As others said, there shouldn't be any degradation of the signal. But keep in mind that, like all the other devices in your A/V chain, it needs to fully support everything in the signal you are feeding it. Meaning, for example: HDR, HDCP, 4K, etc.

And not all switches are equal on that front. You just need to make sure the switch supports everything you need before buying it.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
You really can't go wrong with the 6 series for the price. The only problems I've had are more of a general issue with tone mapping inconsistencies across HDR10 content.

Sometimes games and HDR content don't tone map properly, and the only option to fix it (switching from HDR Dark to HDR Normal) also artificially adjusts the colors and contrast. It's not too drastic but I'd appreciate more granular settings.

You really need to find out if the display is clipping or crushing white up to 4000 nits or even 10,000 nits. Its really important, when concerning tone mapping.

The Z9F out of the box contrast is properly set to clip above 7000 nits, so most content is mapped properly and no detail is lost.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Thx man! Yeah, it sounds really good. Really excited for Dolby Vision as well.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
After giving it some thought I may go with the Samsung NU8000 instead of the TCL 6. Does anyone own the NU8000?

I think I would be inclined to go with the TCL if you are not in europe.
The Samsung does have slightly better game support in that is has some basic Freesync support , but the TCL has much better local dimming, so HDR content will look better

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I would trust RTINGS reviews of the NU8000. They have no dog in the race and are generally incredibly fair and honest in their reviews. Also, the structure of their reviews makes it incredibly easy to compare one set to another (they even have a section for it)

This is not to say I would recommend the NU8000 over the TCL...just that they are usually an excellent resource

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I think I would be inclined to go with the TCL if you are not in europe.
The Samsung does have slightly better game support in that is has some basic Freesync support , but the TCL has much better local dimming, so HDR content will look better
I saw that with the local dimming issue on the Samsung TV. My main issue is the 3 HDMI vs 4 HDMIs. But now I'm considering an HDMI switch

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
Which one would you guys recommend??

75" Sony XBR75X950G BRAVIA 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart TV $2649
85" Sony XBR85X850G Motionflow XR 960 4K HDR Smart HDTV $2499

I know the 950g is a better tv, but am I missing out on a lot by going with the 850g? Going into a 28x20 living room that has a wall open from the kitchen so honestly I'd prefer the size if I won't be missing much.

Currently have a 65" OLED that I won't be able to use in this room since it has skylights and reflection. I can wait until black Friday if prices will be better. The current home owner has a 75 and it looks like a good size, so the 65" will be too small lol.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Pleased to report that the new official C8 firmware 5.10.02 is excellent, tried all the giveaway scenes and nothing, very clean and flicker free.