• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Had a quick question about TCL TVs.

Can anyone explain the difference between S513 vs S515 vs S517?

The S513 is the Costco model number., but I can't find lag review for it, only the other 2.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Got my 55" C9 OLED over the weekend, replacing my (2016) C6.

It's amazing. Uniformity is outstanding, even via the usual suspect test slides.

But best of all is the ridiculously low input lag. Games feel so damn responsive it's insane for a TV this size and image quality. HDR is a massive step up over the C6 too.

There's no temporary image retention either compared to C6. On the C6 I'd see constantly see temporary IR on the grey background (dark theme) on the X, but not at all on the C9.

Also love the BFI mode - it causes 60hz flicker like we had in the CRT days but my word the CRT-like motion on 60fps games is incredible. The instant display response time combined with the black frame insertion means literally perfect motion without any blur or trails whatsoever. I hope they still manage to implement the 120hz BFI via firmware later on as planned, that would be amazing.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
About to go pick up a 55 inch LG OLED B8 this afternoon. Finally upgrading from my 8 year old 40 something inch Panasonic plasma that's looking shittier by the day.

From what I can tell, the B8 seems like a really good OLED, and would love to hear from you if you think I should reconsider. Going to be using it for watching Netflix and gaming on my PS4 Pro mainly.

I'd honestly recommend waiting for the C10 or other TVs next year. Hopefully HDMI 2.1 will be fully realised by then.

Could someone explain what this means? I'm definitely looking to pick up a PS5 in the future. Is there a problem with the current models and HDMI 2.1 or something?

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
My 55" Philips 803 OLED arrived yesterday, and I'm absolutely blown away. Going from an 8 year old Samsung 6 Series LED (which isn't a bad 1080p set) to this is just... Holy shit.

Some of the reviews for this set have put it ahead of the C9 in terms of PQ even though they're using the same panel. Uniformity is great, no DSE that I've seen with any calibration images I've used. The ambilight feature is beautiful when set up correctly as well. I've got it set to slightly less bright than default, so it doesn't overwhelm the set.

Hopefully going to get some games through it tonight - Got a PS4 slim in the living room that's hooked up to it, and a Pro in the games room... Just need to see if I can convince the wife to give me some time taking the pro downstairs now!

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
The C9 is already going for 2199?
mindblown.png

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm just revisiting some games I've looked at in the past and I'm genuinely shocked by the improvement in some of them.
Battlefield 1 alway looked good, but it is really elevated further with the upgrade I've had.

I'm also profoundly away of just how much bloom my old display had, as the underlying light actaully made daytime viewing as little easier than this. I have to actually make some concessions for this.

I'm also super excited today as I've just discovered that the set has 4 selectable EOTF curves in game mode for 1000/2000/3000/4000 not content, so I can match it better with the content I'm playing to ensure peak brightness and maintain highlight detail at the same time.

I've bought a new colorimeter, so I look forward to investigating this further and getting a feel for other things it is doing, as well as actually calibrate it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just ordered a 65" C8 for £1780 including a 6 year warranty plus delivery, despite having bought a B8 only a few months ago lol. Also picked up some Edifier S2000 Pro active speakers and floor stands.

Was thinking of waiting on the C9's to drop in price, but wanted a bigger OLED for the main room and the Rtings comparison between the C9 and C8 shows virtually no difference in PQ. Given I'm not even interested in eARC (I usually turn Dolby Atmos off on my threatre system/headphones due to colourisation of sound) and that the VRR range is supposedly 45+hz, I couldn't justify an extra £1780 premium over the C8.

Pretty cracking deal imo.

Got my 55" C9 OLED over the weekend, replacing my (2016) C6.

It's amazing. Uniformity is outstanding, even via the usual suspect test slides.

But best of all is the ridiculously low input lag. Games feel so damn responsive it's insane for a TV this size and image quality. HDR is a massive step up over the C6 too.

There's no temporary image retention either compared to C6. On the C6 I'd see constantly see temporary IR on the grey background (dark theme) on the X, but not at all on the C9.

Also love the BFI mode - it causes 60hz flicker like we had in the CRT days but my word the CRT-like motion on 60fps games is incredible. The instant display response time combined with the black frame insertion means literally perfect motion without any blur or trails whatsoever. I hope they still manage to implement the 120hz BFI via firmware later on as planned, that would be amazing.

How much did you pay for it?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Just ordered a 65" C8 for £1780 including a 6 year warranty plus delivery, despite having bought a B8 only a few months ago lol. Also picked up some Edifier S2000 Pro active speakers and floor stands.

Was thinking of waiting on the C9's to drop in price, but wanted a bigger OLED for the main room and the Rtings comparison between the C9 and C8 shows virtually no difference in PQ. Given I'm not even interested in eARC (I usually turn Dolby Atmos off on my threatre system/headphones due to colourisation of sound) and that the VRR range is supposedly 45+hz, I couldn't justify an extra £1780 premium over the C8.

That's an amazing price. It's crazy how much they are coming down in price

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

I'd be tempted by that price for sure.

I really need to stay out of this thread.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

Gotta know why you went from a B8 to C8?

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta know why you went from a B8 to C8?

B8 is my bedroom TV, whilst the C8 will replace my living room TV. Otherwise I'd have never upgraded, since there's very little between the B8 and C8, or even the C8 and C9 in PQ terms. Also, I actually prefer the look of the B8 (PLA model with angular metal stand ). I'll be wall mounting the C8 so the way the the stand looks isn't important anyway.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The C8 has a better processor doesn't it?

It has a better processor, but in real world terms there's very little noticeable difference. Really all there is in it is a slight difference in peak brightness. You'll never have your TV's set to max brightness in ordinary SDR viewing, hence the slight peak brightness difference is really only of importance or noticeable in HDR.

The B8's UI is also supposed to be slower too, but even that in real terms is negligible as the B8's UI is still super fluid with no notable lag or stuttering.

You can see in-depth analysis/comparisons here.

LG C8 vs B8

LG C8 vs C9

£2,299 from Richer Sounds using the voucher code.

Not bad, but surely a 65" C8 is the better buy what with it being cheaper too?

Last edited:

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
B8 is my bedroom TV, whilst the C8 will replace my living room TV. Otherwise I'd have never upgraded, since there's very little between the B8 and C8, or even the C8 and C9 in PQ terms. Also, I actually prefer the look of the B8 (PLA model with angular metal stand ). I'll be wall mounting the C8 so the way the the stand looks isn't important anyway.
Yeah I just picked up a B8 last week and am absolutely loving it. The only thing that's taken some getting used it is just how dark the blacks are in some movies. It looks great, but I'm so used to the vaguely gray haze that I didn't realize just how deep the picture could look.

Did a calibration and white balance with my i1 Display Pro colorimeter and it's just *chefs kiss.

Don't know if you calibrated your B8 but if you did, did you raise your brightness (black levels) up 3-5 clicks from the 50 default? At default, near black levels seemed slightly crushed. I am running BT1886 gamma of course so that might be where the crush came from. 2.2 looked a bit washed out to me in the mid tones.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I just picked up a B8 last week and am absolutely loving it. The only thing that's taken some getting used it is just how dark the blacks are in some movies. It looks great, but I'm so used to the vaguely gray haze that I didn't realize just how deep the picture could look.

Did a calibration and white balance with my i1 Display Pro colorimeter and it's just *chefs kiss.

Don't know if you calibrated your B8 but if you did, did you raise your brightness (black levels) up 3-5 clicks from the 50 default? At default, near black levels seemed slightly crushed. I am running BT1886 gamma of course so that might be where the crush came from. 2.2 looked a bit washed out to me in the mid tones.

Bare in mind, what I've found is that you might need to adjust the brightness of your set dependant on how a particular programme or movie has been mastered or graded, eg whether it was mastered to gamma 2.2, 2.4 or BT 1886. Based on viewing lots of difference media, it appears as though they don't all follow the exact same black level mastering.

There are certain shows I'll watch on the TV's Netflix app where I'll have to tweak brightness to get proper pure black in the actual show itself, whilst other times the default setting of 50 will be perfect. This is using the TV's own apps with picture set to ISF Expert Dark and gamma set to 2.4, though perhaps I should switch to BT 1886 (2.2 is too bright).

Also, with the PS4 I have to drop brightness to 48 to get accurate black levels. That's with the PS4's RGB Range, HDR and Deep Colour all set to auto, and the TV set to Game, with HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour set to on, gamma set to medium and black level set to high.

Your TV may have different default variables, so you'll have to test to see what works best for you.

Last edited:

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017

Sounds like a decent bedroom TV to me :0

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
My new LG 55 B8 has been setup and calibrated. Wow, just wow. What an insane jump from a 1080p plasma from almost a decade ago. Hopefully I won't feel the need to upgrade again anytime soon!

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So my b8 has gone back due to a faulty pixel. I'm looking at a q9fn now as I'm really not sure oled is for me with my gaming habits. Is there a big difference between the 55inch and 65inch versions of the q9fn. Can't seem to find some exact number for the 55inch, I have seen the 65 has more dimming zones and is brighter so wandering by how much more.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So my b8 has gone back due to a faulty pixel. I'm looking at a q9fn now as I'm really not sure oled is for me with my gaming habits. Is there a big difference between the 55inch and 65inch versions of the q9fn. Can't seem to find some exact number for the 55inch, I have seen the 65 has more dimming zones and is brighter so wandering by how much more.

The 55 inch has 320 dimming zones.
Bigger sets will always get brighter as they have more backlight LEDs and you sit further away, so the output needs to be intensified to make up for that.

Vincent meausured the 55inch to get to about 1300nits and Rtings measure the 65inch at 1700 with occasional spikes of up to 3300 in Dynamic mode

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The 55 inch has 320 dimming zones.
Bigger sets will always get brighter as they have more backlight LEDs and you sit further away, so the output needs to be intensified to make up for that.

Vincent meausured the 55inch to get to about 1300nits and Rtings measure the 65inch at 1700 with occasional spikes of up to 3300 in Dynamic mode

Thanks and yea I already watched that. Just thought it seemed around q8dn brightness I'm guessing it is alot brighter and the extra zones will make a difference. Is the £300 extra worth it over the q8dn?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks and yea I already watched that. Just thought it seemed around q8dn brightness I'm guessing it is alot brighter and the extra zones will make a difference. Is the £300 extra worth it over the q8dn?

40 zones to 320 zones is pretty significant.

Across the board there are improves in terms of native contrast, actual contrast and peak brightness.
Personally I would spend the £300 more and know that I've got one of the best 55inch TVs available , rather than have something that niggles me.
The Q9 model also has a one connect box, which is really nice as you can have cable access without going behind the TV

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
40 zones to 320 zones is pretty significant.

Across the board there are improves in terms of native contrast, actual contrast and peak brightness.
Personally I would spend the £300 more and know that I've got one of the best 55inch TVs available , rather than have something that niggles me.
The Q9 model also has a one connect box, which is really nice as you can have cable access without going behind the TV

Ok thanks for the reply's, I will keep the order then as it would bother me as that's the reason I ordered that and not the q8. Looking forward to seeing the difference compared to the blacks of oled.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
So who's it for? Lol... think I'm just gonna get a B8 and save myself a grand

As it stands I just don't know, it's a year early really, and makes even less sense if you're only a console gamer, with VRR being the only tangible benefit (doesn't even need 2.1) and full chroma, but try seeing the difference of 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4 when gaming, it was easy to talk myself out of it.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one is taking advantage of this except for PC gamers, right ?

To be fair, it's not necessarily even worth it on these TV's for PC gamers either, since 120fps vs 60fps makes virtually no difference to input latency on the 2018 LG OLED's, and only a 6ms difference on the 2019 LG OLED's. You'd be better off boosting up graphics options and maintaining 60fps.

In terms of motion boosting or interpolating stuff, I turn all that stuff off anyway.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Not gaming related but I thought I would ask here anyway. My mother's TV broke and I'm looking for a new one for her just for TV watching. Is there anything negative to know about this one: LG 43UK6470PLC?

Oct 27, 2017
About to go pick up a 55 inch LG OLED B8 this afternoon. Finally upgrading from my 8 year old 40 something inch Panasonic plasma that's looking shittier by the day.

From what I can tell, the B8 seems like a really good OLED, and would love to hear from you if you think I should reconsider. Going to be using it for watching Netflix and gaming on my PS4 Pro mainly.

Could someone explain what this means? I'm definitely looking to pick up a PS5 in the future. Is there a problem with the current models and HDMI 2.1 or something?
No the b/c8s won't have vrr. Will it make a difference in the future maybe a little. But people seem to forget that games on consoles will still have target frame rates. It may make a larger difference down the road on PC gaming but even then who knows. At this point everybody's trying to hit a target blindfolded because we don't know what the next gen going to look like as it is.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
No the b/c8s won't have vrr. Will it make a difference in the future maybe a little. But people seem to forget that games on consoles will still have target frame rates. It may make a larger difference down the road on PC gaming but even then who knows. At this point everybody's trying to hit a target blindfolded because we don't know what the next gen going to look like as it is.
Cheers buddy! Yea I was doing some reading up on HDMI 2.1 and I'm not really worried at this stage. The upgrade was way overdue and I'm so pleased with the B8 so far. Current TV technology has come so far since HD sets.

Nov 20, 2017
Ya'll calibrating your TVs out of the box, as a bit of a professional question, how are you doing it and why so quickly?

I'm unfamiliar with the actual mechanics of it, but at work we usually book our ISF calibrations for after 100+ hours of use so the colours don't shift. Or so i've been explained. I'd love to hear more about it.

Nov 20, 2017
Not gaming related but I thought I would ask here anyway. My mother's TV broke and I'm looking for a new one for her just for TV watching. Is there anything negative to know about this one: LG 43UK6470PLC?
Must be some weird regional or store variant. I wasn't aware of a UK6400 series.

LGs at that lower level usually don't enjoy the kind of motion rates as their Samsung competition. Only worth really worrying about if anyone who'll be using it is a sports fan tho.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ya'll calibrating your TVs out of the box, as a bit of a professional question, how are you doing it and why so quickly?

I'm unfamiliar with the actual mechanics of it, but at work we usually book our ISF calibrations for after 100+ hours of use so the colours don't shift. Or so i've been explained. I'd love to hear more about it.

All the professional ISF calibrators I've ever used also recommended at the minimum 100hrs of break in before a professional calibration, since according to them you could still get minor picture fluctuations within that bed in period.