• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've had my LG 65" B6 Oled for pretty much 2 years now. I am a gamer and I've used the tv for gaming and netflix etc. After two years my screen has quite a lot of burn-in from different games. It is noticeable.

It doesn't matter how many times I've ran the screen clean cycle, the stuff is there and it ain't going anywhere.

I'm semi-fine with this, but just a reminder for people who are thinking about OLED's. Newer TV's are probably better at this sure.

Do you mind sharing some estimates for how often you play games and how long your sessions normally go for? Do you also find yourself playing a variety of titles, or a select few that you go back to?

Not trying to do some "gotcha!" moment here, I'm just curious as burn-in has been a concern of mine.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
So I've had my LG 65" B6 Oled for pretty much 2 years now. I am a gamer and I've used the tv for gaming and netflix etc. After two years my screen has quite a lot of burn-in from different games. It is noticeable.

It doesn't matter how many times I've ran the screen clean cycle, the stuff is there and it ain't going anywhere.

I'm semi-fine with this, but just a reminder for people who are thinking about OLED's. Newer TV's are probably better at this sure.
That's why I'm glad my TV purchase is over 2 years away. I'm hoping they use high emission OLED panels by then that greatly reduce chances of burn in.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I saw a few sites (Wired, What the Hi-Fi, TechRadar) that have "reviews" of the Samsung Q90 up already. It looks like they all posted on the 13th and certainly aren't anywhere near as detailed as a site like RTINGS will be. That said, they all praised the viewing angles and black levels as finally being solid competition for OLED.

I'll reserve judgement until we get a full analysis from RTINGS, but it seems promising! The only thing that's kind of sketchy is that the reviews use some similar language and describe similar features. Strikes me not as a "paid" review, but likely as something Samsung sponsored and said they have to talk about things X, Y, and Z.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The only thing that's kind of sketchy is that the reviews use some similar language and describe similar features. Strikes me not as a "paid" review, but likely as something Samsung sponsored and said they have to talk about things X, Y, and Z.

You'd be kidding yourself if you think that Samsung doesn't accompany those review sets with lenghty PR pieces highlighting the features they'd like the reviewers to cover.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017

Damn that's not what I want to hear as I'm looking to buy a C8. Could you post some pics?

panty

Dec 12, 2017
Helsinki
Damn that's not what I want to hear as I'm looking to buy a C8. Could you post some pics?
https://i.ibb.co/QHM6FVk/399-E7-B31-4796-461-A-A5-BB-D7935-B9-D1-BF2.jpg

If you're playing you wont see it but it shows sometimes when watching something. It's more visible irl.
Do you mind sharing some estimates for how often you play games and how long your sessions normally go for? Do you also find yourself playing a variety of titles, or a select few that you go back to?

Not trying to do some "gotcha!" moment here, I'm just curious as burn-in has been a concern of mine.
It depends greatly but I probably play a bit more than a usual gamer, almost every day at least some. I mainly play Rocket League and Overwatch as you can see from the photo but I also play a lot of different games as well.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people who live multiplayer games should be avoiding OLED at this point. It doesn't matter if you mix content up, cumulative wear will eventually result in the above regardless.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Samsung are screwing the UK with the new QLED prices. £3799 for the 65 inch Q90R Vs $3499 in the US.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So I saw a few sites (Wired, What the Hi-Fi, TechRadar) that have "reviews" of the Samsung Q90 up already. It looks like they all posted on the 13th and certainly aren't anywhere near as detailed as a site like RTINGS will be. That said, they all praised the viewing angles and black levels as finally being solid competition for OLED.

I'll reserve judgement until we get a full analysis from RTINGS, but it seems promising! The only thing that's kind of sketchy is that the reviews use some similar language and describe similar features. Strikes me not as a "paid" review, but likely as something Samsung sponsored and said they have to talk about things X, Y, and Z.

Those 3 were all flown out business class to Korea do review the set @ Samsung.
This is why they all sound so similar, as the info will have cone from PR people, this is why there are no measurements either

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Google basically ported Android for phones to TV. That means all the bad shit about Android came along with it. I can't find the videos right now cause i'm on my cell. One, it's slow and clunky to navigate and use, especially when compared to webOS or Tizen. It crashes more than any other TV OS. Having to turn off several services just to get better performance from the TV is embarrassing (see HDTVtest video). And the last thing, Android is notorious for is slow updates. I think we've been on Android P for 6 months now and I don't think it'll hit Sony TVs until 2020. Even when it does hit, I don't expect across all of Sony's range; even TVs from just 2 years ago they won't get Android 9.

For their TVs they could probably use a custom version of the PS4 OS but I have no idea

You are right, but since the update to Oreo - I think the TVs like 900e 900f run a lot smoother - for new models with more memory- like my Af9 it's definitely no problem anymore. Yes Updates take time - that's right, and Sony is not as communicative as LG about them, sometimes they don't even have a full Change log. I'm pretty happy with the interface as it is and no ads are a bonus for me.

Android Pie, fall 2019 earliest, I guess.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those 3 were all flown out business class to Korea do review the set @ Samsung.
This is why they all sound so similar, as the info will have cone from PR people, this is why there are no measurements either

Gotya! Makes total sense then as to why the reviews were so early. I'll anxiously wait for the RTINGS review before making a final purchase decision.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

If you're playing you wont see it but it shows sometimes when watching something. It's more visible irl.
It depends greatly but I probably play a bit more than a usual gamer, almost every day at least some. I mainly play Rocket League and Overwatch as you can see from the photo but I also play a lot of different games as well.
What OLED light setting do you use? I'm at 18 months on my B7, play games every day, use it as my only PC monitor every day, etc and I don't have even a hint of anything, I keep my OLED light around 35-40 though.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
I think people who live multiplayer games should be avoiding OLED at this point. It doesn't matter if you mix content up, cumulative wear will eventually result in the above regardless.
That's what I'm starting to think. I've played almost 5 days worth of Apex this past month on my ks8000. I'm pretty sure if I had an oled, I would have burn in

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
That's what I'm starting to think. I've played almost 5 days worth of Apex this past month on my ks8000. I'm pretty sure if I had an oled, I would have burn in
Idk, I've played hundreds of hours of Destiny 2 and Overwatch on mine, I think it's really a combination of a panel lottery+OLED light settings determining how susceptible your TV is to burn in. Definitely shitty, and a risk you take buying one, but it's certainly not a foregone conclusion.

If I ever do get burn in eventually I'd probably still keep buying OLED tbh, PQ is such a step above everything. I loved my KS8000 and it's a great TV, but it's not even close to the OLED.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
Idk, I've played hundreds of hours of Destiny 2 and Overwatch on mine, I think it's really a combination of a panel lottery+OLED light settings determining how susceptible your TV is to burn in. Definitely shitty, and a risk you take buying one, but it's certainly not a foregone conclusion.

If I ever do get burn in eventually I'd probably still keep buying OLED tbh, PQ is such a step above everything. I loved my KS8000 and it's a great TV, but it's not even close to the OLED.
Yeah it probably depends on the panel. Even if there is burn in, it's not like it's going to be super prominent in day to day content

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah it probably depends on the panel. Even if there is burn in, it's not like it's going to be super prominent in day to day content
For sure. And I think it is really helpful to keep a lower OLED light setting. I keep mine at 35, which is plenty bright for me, brighter than most tvs I've owned in my life anyway, and I pull up a red test slide every couple weeks and it's still clean as a whistle. I use it like 4 hours a day as a PC monitor too.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We are seeing lots of reports now of people not seeing burn-in until testing with certain colour screens. You could argue that if you aren't seeing burn-in in normal use, it isn't a massive deal, but I think it is inevitable if you play days and days of the same multiplayer game. The nature of the technology guarantees it, if you are stressing the same pixels every time, then their life will run down quicker, no matter if you mix up content. OLED Light may well play a part though.

Don't get me wrong, I have hundreds of hours in certain games on my B6 and have no burn-in (tested with the relevant colours) but If I were still playing games like COD4 (where I sunk like a month of game time into) I wouldn't be as confident.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
We are seeing lots of reports now of people not seeing burn-in until testing with certain colour screens. You could argue that if you aren't seeing burn-in in normal use, it isn't a massive deal, but I think it is inevitable if you play days and days of the same multiplayer game. The nature of the technology guarantees it, if you are stressing the same pixels every time, then their life will run down quicker, no matter if you mix up content. OLED Light may well play a part though.

Don't get me wrong, I have hundreds of hours in certain games on my B6 and have no burn-in (tested with the relevant colours) but If I were still playing games like COD4 (where I sunk like a month of game time into) I wouldn't be as confident.
The color screen thing has been known for a couple years. I've been checking red and magenta test slides occasionally for the 18 months I've owned a B7, and I don't think itnwas a new revelation when I got that set.

I think people really need to be careful with using the word inevitable. I easily have a thousand hours of general PC use outside of gaming on mine for instance and still nada.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I have basically been using my B6 as a PC monitor for 2 years and don't have a hint of burn in.

I know some people have reported problems but I could not be happier personally.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The color screen thing has been known for a couple years. I've been checking red and magenta test slides occasionally for the 18 months I've owned a B7, and I don't think itnwas a new revelation when I got that set.

I think people really need to be careful with using the word inevitable. I easily have a thousand hours of general PC use outside of gaming on mine for instance and still nada.

I don't think it is wrong to say it is inevitable if you have a static image on screen for a certain amount of time you will get burn in. Cumulative wear ensures that. The question is how long does it take?

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Spider-Verse UHD BD review

sJzwtEz.png

Video:
The image has lots of pop as the expanded color gamut and emboldened dynamic range draw out the film's bright chromatic palate and use of contrast. Whites are gradational and bright and the monochromatic grays, blues and black featured in the sequences with limited lighting, of which there are many, are multi-staged and dimensional in appearance. The application of HDR added a complimentary and defining element that proved eye-catching.

Audio:
In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that makes effective use of the platform. This film is tailor made for immersive sound as the blend of audio objects placed in the height channels contains atmospherics and discrete effects. At times it creates a tangible level of 3D immersion that is attention grabbing.

https://www.avsforum.com/spider-man-spider-verse-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review/

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got an X900F as I needed 49" and Sony is showing no sign of bringing any 49" 2019 sets to the States.

I like it so far. AndroidTV is significantly laggier than WebOS on the B8, despite being lightning fast on my Shield.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. I could use a bit of help picking out a new TV for one of my bedrooms. I'm replacing an old Sony 32" Bravia LCD that I got a good 6-7 years out of. Still works fine but I noticed a slight humming/buzzing sound start to emanate from inside the set when I went to turn it off earlier tonight.

Anyhow, what I'm looking for kinda has to be in the 40"-43" range because it'll be sitting atop a long dresser. I'd prefer a 4K HDR-capable set with 4 HDMI ports and a refresh of 120hz. If we can keep it under $1000, that'd be nice. I'm currently eyeing the Sony X800E 43" LED, but I'm open to any suggestions that fit the bill.

How are LG sets?

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
reading impressions on boards & rtings - x950G sounds very dope provided you don't get a larger screen

at 55" i think i may be in though

and after that Endgame trailer.... hot damn am i gonna need it

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
That's good pricing. I was expecting the 77" to be $1000 cheaper than what the 77C8 launched at but that is must cheaper. Surprised the 65" is cheaper as well I thought they would have kept it at same price point. Need to hold out and see what other models launch at. I really don't need another 77". Street price will be nice though.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I believe it was $8999.99, though I swear I saw it at 9999 at one point but that may have been something else. I know for a fact within the first month it was for sure 8999.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Hey guys. I could use a bit of help picking out a new TV for one of my bedrooms. I'm replacing an old Sony 32" Bravia LCD that I got a good 6-7 years out of. Still works fine but I noticed a slight humming/buzzing sound start to emanate from inside the set when I went to turn it off earlier tonight.

Anyhow, what I'm looking for kinda has to be in the 40"-43" range because it'll be sitting atop a long dresser. I'd prefer a 4K HDR-capable set with 4 HDMI ports and a refresh of 120hz. If we can keep it under $1000, that'd be nice. I'm currently eyeing the Sony X800E 43" LED, but I'm open to any suggestions that fit the bill.

How are LG sets?
There is no point in even worrying about HDR in that size, as there really aren't any good HDR sets under 50 inches imo. And no point worrying about 120hz unless you're gonna be plugging a PC into it. Basically just find the highest rated 43" you can and go for it, it will be under $1000.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
There is no point in even worrying about HDR in that size, as there really aren't any good HDR sets under 50 inches imo. And no point worrying about 120hz unless you're gonna be plugging a PC into it. Basically just find the highest rated 43" you can and go for it, it will be under $1000.

Okay, thanks for the input. Is there any particular place that has the most reliable reviews?

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
That's good pricing. I was expecting the 77" to be $1000 cheaper than what the 77C8 launched at but that is must cheaper. Surprised the 65" is cheaper as well I thought they would have kept it at same price point. Need to hold out and see what other models launch at. I really don't need another 77". Street price will be nice though.

the 65" C9 is not cheaper...the C8 launched at $3,499 as well.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
the 65" C9 is not cheaper...the C8 launched at $3,499 as well.
I thought the 65" initially listed at 3799.99 then dropped to 3499.99 right before they were in stores. You're right though I just checked the release. Either way that is about what I initially expected. 77 cheaper and 65/55 the same price because they move at that price. No reason to change price on those if they move.
8 series were $8,999.99/$3499.99/$2499.99

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019

Damn, I know you said that's the B6, but this really scares me off OLED.

I know the B8/C8 supposedly have larger red pixels, and have that logo luminance dimming feature (I don't think B6 had that?).

To those more knowledgeable, would using the C8 logo dimming feature on high:

A) Work for game HUDS
B) Possibly prevent burn-in like that?

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Do the OLED 6 series suffer from the green tint when using PC Mode with HDR? Also, for those of you that do PC gaming on a HDR display, do you just switch back and forth between RGB/Full/8-bit and 4:2:x 10-bit when using HDR?