• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ea_GkFuUMAAJMXB.jpg

Putting shit on the flag should also get jail time.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about defacing an American flag by putting Trump's stupid fucking face on it?

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Traveling to the US and seeing the huge numbers of homes that fly the american flag is creepy and terrifying.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Burning an American flag shouldn't be treated any differently than if you burned any other item that's mass produced in China and sold at any Walmart in the land. It's not some sacred thing, it's an oversized napkin, or a very uncomfortable blanket.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: the 2006 proposed Flag Burning Amendment failed by one Senate vote of which three nays were Republican, Bob Bennet, Lincoln Chafee, and Mitch motherfucking McConnell.

This wouldn't even be put up for a vote.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
1. Why the hell is he making this a thing all of a sudden?

2. Supreme Court said no (as has already been mentioned in this thread)

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
200,000 people will probably have died from a preventable pandemic by years end, we're silently bumbling along in an economic recession, Black communites are (rightfully) fucking fed up, and this is the necessary legislation of our time??

I mean it's obviously just "yeaaaAAAHHHHH!!" meat for his rally attendees that (hopefully) won't go anywhere due to already being settled in the SCOTUS, but still

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
200,000 people will probably have died from a preventable pandemic by years end, we're silently bumbling along in an economic recession, Black communites are (rightfully) fucking fed up, and this is the necessary legislation of our time??

I mean it's obviously just "yeaaaAAAHHHHH!!" meat for his rally attendees that (hopefully) won't go anywhere due to already being settled in the SCOTUS, but still

Let them eat flags

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I could have sworn that I read somewhere the proper and correct way to dispose of flags is to burn them.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think there are some issues with free speech but, like, come on! Why would anyone genuinely care if you burn the flag? It's a piece of cloth Talk about fake outrage.

Back in 1995, my friend and I had to raise the flag every morning (we were in eight grade). One day we started, like, whipping each other with the flag or throwing it at each other or other such tomfoolery. Some military dude saw us as he drove by and tattled on us to our principal. That taught me a valuable lesson: People who get legitimately upset about how the flag is treated are babies.

I do think we should outlaw American Flag clothes, though. That's just tacky.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I do think there are some issues with free speech but, like, come on! Why would anyone genuinely care if you burn the flag? It's a piece of cloth Talk about fake outrage.

I do think we should outlaw American Flag clothes, though. That's just tacky.
Keep in mind that for two years people not standing in front of it was considered a huge racial controversy.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
There is no first amendment. Amendments start counting at two. It's just one of those weird conventions, like how arrays start at zero.

Until someone wants to fire someone for being gay. Then Schrodinger's First Amendment exists again.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Bush senior, failed one term president, tried the same shit for red meat and the supreme court slapped it down, he then tried to make it a constitutional amendment and it failed to have enough votes to move forward then his idiot son, W. Bush, tried again to make it illegal and passed legislation while the financial collapse was happening. That what the idiots do, distract and wrap themselves in the flag.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL flag burning laws are the tired old dogs that the GOP drag out, like clockwork, when they're desperate.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Was he speaking about the American flag or the Confederate flag? Because if it his flag it would be the later.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
No it wasn't. It was an excuse people could use to yell at black people for wanting to be treated like people. It had nothing to do with the flag.
well it shouldn't have, but it did to racists. Though true, it had a lot more to do with racism than the flag. The flag was the excuse for it all though which is the greater point. Flag worship even if it's just an excuse.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Exactly. Trump is just throwing shit out there to excite his base even though he knows it will never happen (like the vast majority of his ideas).
nothing is working for him so all he has left is racism and nationalism. I expect it to ramp up considerably because calls for a wall, yelling about China, and calling Biden sleepy is just not working.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not okay: burning american flag

okay: proudly displaying the flag of traitors to america

that's patriotism?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just like a lot of things, I doubt he actually gives a shit about the flag. He just knows his base loves this kind of stuff.