• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
President Donald Trump told "Fox & Friends" co-host Brian Kilmeade in a Sunday evening special that his message to Black Americans demanding the removal of monuments honoring slave owners is this: "You have to learn" about "your history."

"If you don't understand your history," Trump added, "you will go back to it again."

The president made the remarks during a discussion about growing calls to take down statues commemorating Confederate heroes and other prominent Americans who owned slaves.

Kilmeade pointed to "brilliant" leaders, such as former presidents Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, who were problematic because they owned slaves.

"So how do we grow as a country and yet not forget our past?" he asked.

Trump added that "a lot of these people don't even know what they are taking down."

"I see what's happening on television, and they are ripping down things," he said. "They have no idea what they are ripping down, but they started off with the Confederates and now go to Ulysses Grant. So what is that all about?"

Trump replied that Black Americans need to learn about the country's history, lest they "go back to it." His comments suggested that slavery could reoccur if monuments to slave-owners were removed.

He's not even hiding it anymore.

Do not return to slavery whether or not if old

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
This seems somehow more threatening than what Biden said on the radio show.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
tenor.gif

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
"They have no idea what they are ripping down, but they started off with the Confederates and now go to Ulysses Grant. So what is that all about?"

Did I miss something?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't make sense.

And Trump doesn't know history. He didn't know what happened at Pearl Harbor lol.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Uh, that sounds like a threat

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Now do y'all see why older Black folks don't give a Kentucky fried fuck about Biden's gaffes?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The POTUS is threatening to bring slavery back. Party of Lincoln indeed.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
...yeah my first thought was damn we threatening people with slavery now?

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like every trump thread is "he's not even hiding it anymore". Like I mean yeah, was he ever even hiding it? I hope this blows the fuck up in his face.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure if we asked Donald Trump some basic history questions, you know, ones a child may know, he would absolutely fuck it up.

With the regards to 'going back to it' he's just a fucking moron vaguely remembering the 'doomed to repeat it' line about learning history and instead making a threat to a large part of the USA.

It will be a blight on the USA that this man was deemed worthy to be in charge of literally anything, let alone winning a presidential election.

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York
The one-two punch of "you don't know your history but you'll go back to it" is a damn sight for sore eyes I tell you.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Seems like every trump thread is "he's not even hiding it anymore". Like I mean yeah, was he ever even hiding it? I hope this blows the fuck up in his face.

He wasn't. He literally founded a campaign on "build the wall."

He's certainly scrambling now though saying this shit on a daily basis. Gotta wonder how fast he's burning through fencesitters.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am actively trying to come up with ways we could be misconstruing this, but coming up with nothing.

He's just straight up telling black people he'd put them back in chains if they don't fall in line.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? A lot of those "monuments" glorifies the racists instead of showing the suffering of the oppressed ones.

Roxsus

Dec 8, 2017
As a black guy who grew up in a christian family who never had a firearm in our house. I recently bought two for protection, it's not even funny any more.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is that supposed to mean???

In his addled brain, he's saying 'those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it'... Basically, we must remember our history lest we make the same mistakes.

But because he's an idiot, and he's incapable of nuance or deeper meaning, this is what we get.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I don't have problems with George Washington or James Madison. Shit, there is a Francis Scott Key monument in my city I like!

This "discussion" about why we should still have up monuments for people that wanted to kill America is what is bonkers. The fact that these are still standing in the first place needs to be questioned. Trump Nazi ideology and Fox News pushing how we should honor these people is seriously fucked.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
So, if black americans keep tearing down Confederate statues, they will be put back under slavery?

This is the only thing I can think of that he means.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Those statues were built to intimidate black people and assert the ideals of white supremacy, that's the "reminder" that Trump is referring to here.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
"Put up statues glorifying slave owners or else you'll become slaves again"
???

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
This guy thinks I don't know my history, while I'm living its legacy *every single day*.

Don't worry, life in this country reminds me of the history of Black people in America.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of reminds me of a bit that Simpsons did.

Marge: "Homer this is the worst thing you've ever done"
Homer: "Marge you say that so much it's lost all meaning".

He just keeps one upping himself, it's kind of surreal.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
He what now.................................................................................................................................................................................................................

source.gif

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"Since you have done a lot for the African-American community, what is your message to them when their ancestors were enslaved because of [past leaders honored on monuments today]?" the Fox News host asked the president

Smh, what a way to set up a question.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
At best he's an anti-intellectual failing miserably to make a point. At worst a threat. Take your choice

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
"They have no idea what they are ripping down, but they started off with the Confederates and now go to Ulysses Grant. So what is that all about?"

Did I miss something?

There are supposedly some instances of abolitionist statues getting torn down along with the Confederate ones.

www.sfchronicle.com

Toppling of the Ulysses Grant statue is no way to treat history

Ulysses Grant was not always heroic. He is precisely the kind of figure we should wrestle...