• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via NPR:
Attorney General William Barr said the Justice Department would support legal action against states that continue to impose strict social distancing rules even after coronavirus cases begin to subside in their respective states.

In a Tuesday interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt, Barr called some current stay-at-home orders "burdens on civil liberties" and said that if they continued and lawsuits were brought, his department would side against the state.

"The idea that you have to stay in your house is disturbingly close to house arrest. I'm not saying it wasn't justified. I'm not saying in some places it might still be justified. But it's very onerous, as is shutting down your livelihood," Barr said.

President Trump has expressed an eagerness to reopen states' economies as soon as possible, pitching the possibility of some states easing coronavirus restrictions even before the federal guidelines on social distancing expire on May 1.

Already, two states with Republican governors, Georgia and South Carolina, have said they will allow some businesses to reopen as soon as this week, despite not meeting the White House-recommended criteria to relax COVID-19 restrictions.

Barr was asked what he would do with any governors who are "indifferent" to easing restrictions in their states. "We're looking carefully at a number of these rules that are being put into place," Barr said. "And if we think one goes too far, we initially try to jawbone the governors into rolling them back or adjusting them. And if they're not and people bring lawsuits, we file statement of interest and side with the plaintiffs."
Fuck these cunts. All of them.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Actively undermining governors trying to save lives.

And the President is openly calling for insurrections.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Actually illegal and explicitly restricted by the Constitution. But, you know, appeasing Trump is what matters.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm convinced Donnie has memory issues or Fox/OAN tells him to fuck up shit and he's too gullible

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Weird how everything they scream about as wrong is absolutely fine when their side does it. Everything!
They not only flaunt blatant hypocrisy. They revel in it. The ends will always justify the means to the Republicans... especially if no one is either willing or able to step up and do anything more than slap their wrist when they try to reach into the cookie jar.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised at this point that Trump hasn't tried to instigate martial law in the country.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Bizarre to see such infighting in a country during the response to a global pandemic.

Also like every news report coming out now is an illustrative lesson in the propaganda and conflict manufacturing process the GOP have set up in the U.S.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Is it safe to assume conservatives hate states' rights, always have, and have always believed Obama's biggest fault was not exercising supreme executive power? That the Biggest Government of all, is what the USA has always needed?

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
This is a threat and that is it. Another fucking distraction.

Don't fall for this shit. This is an attempt to force states to open without actually calling a single one out on anything thus giving himself cover in case shit hits the fan. They would never do this because its a lose lose given current public sentiment on easing up things too quickly. It would quiet possibly force a Supreme Court action in the middle of a fucking pandemic.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
what in the fuck is happening
Trump wants the economy restarted because he sees it as hit ticket to re-election. Even though it's a VERY long shot that the economy will be OK by November, Trump believes that the odds are even worse with caution. And since he has 0 empathy and gives no fucks about his country's citizens, he's gambling our lives on his stupid Hail Mary pass.

Everyone else is backing him because being a Republican means appeasing Donald Trump.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is for Michigan . I just know it is. Trump dont like the fact that Whitmer is going against him. Southeastern Michigan is still a hotspot. They can't open too earl, its just not feasible.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember, Republicans have no values other than gaining Money and Power. Oh and owning the libs, of course.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Do these guys seriously think reopening too early isnt going to backfire? Whats their endgame here?

jay

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how sometimes it seems like the Civil War was about some other issue and not states rights.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Governor's are not gonna back down, Trump doesn't want the smoke when push comes to shove.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Man if only the trump administration actually focused on the underlying issue. You know the one that's causing states to go into lockdowns?????

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Trump changes his mind so frequently on this stuff, I can see this song and dance lasting months. One day its Im going to reopen the country sooner than you think. I have absolute authority. Then the next, I want the governess to decide whats best.

Nov 7, 2017
Do these guys seriously think reopening too early isnt going to backfire? Whats their endgame here?
He'll claim the states that didn't open are actively damaging the/their economies, and the ones that did (Republican) care about jobs and are reaping the rewards. Ie. vote Republican if you care about the economy. He's setting them up for a lose-lose situation.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We're going to be forced to re-start the economy at gunpoint. Military and right-wing militia members are gonna break into people's homes and force them to go to work, spend the afternoon at the mall and the evening at Applebee's.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Trump knows that over 50% of American GDP and economic output is controlled by ~7 states, which are all Democratic and he's been fucking over this whole time with the pandemic. And then further that the output of the other 43 states, half of which will vote for him, all require that economic engines of California, New York, Massachusetts, NEw Jersey, Washington, Illinois, etc.

South Dakota shale gas boom doesn't mean shit if New York isn't buying it. Florida and South Carolina tourism economies aren't shit if people from Massachusetts don't vacation there in the winter.

And there's nothing he can do. These states have been been led well by their pragmatic, liberal governors while Trump has done nothing but get in the way.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's going to be less than a week before he is demanding that all states re-open. He can't help but play up to the lunatics in his base.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
He'll claim the states that didn't open are actively damaging the/their economies, and the ones that did (Republican) care about jobs and are reaping the rewards. Ie. vote Republican if you care about the economy. He's setting them up for a lose-lose situation.
Dont you think opening too early will set them up for a giant spike in coronavirus cases and deaths? This is a serious disease, and a large part of it is because its super infectious. I think opening too early will blow up in their faces, the amount of cases will simply be too high.

Could be wrong tho, maybe im underestimating the propaganda machine drowing out the deaths.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont you think opening too early will set them up for a giant spike in coronavirus cases and deaths? This is a serious disease, and a large part of it is because its super infectious. I think opening too early will blow up in their faces, the amount of cases will simply be too high.
There is a chance that he understands that the fallout from re-opening too early will be too immense to take the risk of re-opening.

The problem is that his base has never and will never hold him accountable for anything. He said Mexico would pay for The Wall, but they don't care that there is no chance of it happening and no chance of The Wall even getting built. He said that coronavirus was nothing to be worried about and that it would go away as soon as the weather warmed up, and they don't care that he later claimed he was one of the first to recognize it as a serious pandemic. If he re-opens the economy and many more people die, he will claim that he was steadfastly against re-opening the economy and they still won't care.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't understand. People will die. Their base will die. How are they benefitting from this?
I'm not 100% sure they actually want things to open up. It's no coincidence the states they're raising the issue the most in have blue governors. They might be counting on the governors not to open up so they have something to complain about constantly. Get people focused on anything but the bad Jon the federal government is doing.

Strange that there doesn't seem to be the same pressure in states with red governors. I think Kemp just missed the memo he's not actually supposed to open up.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

I think trump allies and repubs who want to cash in would try and force things open one last time so they can cash in on disaster capitalism. Many likely thought the thumping trump got in 2018 might have course corrected him and he at tries and grow his base, but he doubled down and pandered to the 30% who show him and his ego undivided adulteration. A bit like the reps who chucked through the tax cuts for themselves and cashed in before they got totalled in 2018.

Im waiting for the wave of repubs throwing in the hat before November after they cashed in and got the fuck out of doge before the second wave hits and gets pinned on trump.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
This is the single most blatant example I can think of so far from this or any other administration in recent memory of federal overreach and tyranny at the expense of state rights. Perhaps even since Lincoln ordered the suspension of habeus corpus (which was during a civil war!). And still, Conservatives see nothing wrong with this.

The Conservative soul is a black hole, and the Conservative mind is an abomination of all concept of logic, reason, and cognition.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
lol, DOJ would get fucked in Supreme Court if they tried this, even with Gorsuch and Kavanugh.