• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
It wasn't until I bought the box set that I remembered that as a kid I didn't like most of G1 season 1.

Also, I just pre-ordered my first masterpiece since I missed out on white siege Jetfire. I may have a problem…

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Masterpiece Jetfire is such a weird piece.

Obviously visually distinct and if you want that look then you probably didn't by the Siege one and are used to spending a certain amount of money due to other masterpieces and 3rd party figures.

But just on paper I look at the price and the image in my head is pretty different than what they show here.

Just for me the calculus works out better for things like Trailbreaker.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I bought the Siege one because it fits with my WfC collection. It's not remotely fit for an MP collection, which is why I have Fanstoys Phoenix. I don't really see a reason to replace Phoenix with the Takara version, though. I've only done that (not replacing third party with official) once before in my MP collection, that being Hound.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
All I can say is there's probably a 50-page thread on TFW2005 arguing about the scale of MP Sky/Jetfire. I'm probably part of that bunch too if it was a character I'm passionate about. But I get why the figure's size is the way it is. G1's scale is more of a suggestion than a rule.

ZfYqpIY.jpg

WA2YwlG.jpg

0gIgLuB.jpg

jS4hNes.jpg

iaTP12i.jpg

lYAb6On.jpg

UJ6A92u.jpg

Uq7UMqh.jpg

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Looks about right to me in robot mode. Did they expect him to expand to the size of a full room in jet mode or what?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the one thing I HATE most about 3rd Party figures is the goddamn FOMO since the companies might shut down at any moment. Managed to get myself the Perfect Effect Optimal Optimus and Transmetal 2 Megatron a couple years ago, but then I sold them when I saw they were skyrocketing in price on eBay, for some reason thinking they'd come back in stock soon.

Nope :-(

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

Man, the one thing I HATE most about 3rd Party figures is the goddamn FOMO since the companies might shut down at any moment. Managed to get myself the Perfect Effect Optimal Optimus and Transmetal 2 Megatron a couple years ago, but then I sold them when I saw they were skyrocketing in price on eBay, for some reason thinking they'd come back in stock soon.

They're making an Oversized KO of Perfect Effect Optimal Optimus.

BTW, there's a huge sale on the Deformation Space Seekers. Like $170 for all 3 Seekers, but they might be sold out now.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

They're making an Oversized KO of Perfect Effect Optimal Optimus.

BTW, there's a huge sale on the Deformation Space Seekers. Like $170 for all 3 Seekers, but they might be sold out now.

I assume these are on aliexpress and asian retailers, because I didn't see a sale from the usual US retailers on these.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
So I finished the Lego Optimus Prime the other night and I really like how it came out, and the fact that it can transform is pretty mind boggling to me... Does it look great in truck mode? Not really, but what do you expect when you're dealing with Lego?

gFDPHwk.jpg

9929Bx9.jpg

zqav6oM.jpg

4eipRyT.jpg

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
(Erps so toys…)

Around '85 or '86, I had Skyfire, which I realized was also a Macross Valkyrie more or less so I liked it even more.

It went missing in a move long ago and would like to get something to replace it.

What's out there that's similar?
I found one that doesn't have the Guardian or Gerwalk mode so that doesn't cut it.

I've been looking on Amazon Japan mainly but most things are put it together and paint stuff or they don't have the Gerwalk transformable mode.

Last edited:

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
(Erps so toys…)

Around '85 or '86, I had Skyfire, which I realized was also a Macross Valkyrie more or less so I liked it even more.

It went missing in a move long ago and would like to get something to replace it.

I found one that doesn't have the Guardian or Gerwalk mode so that doesn't cut it.

I've been looking on Amazon Japan mainly but most things are put it together and paint stuff or they don't have the Gerwalk transformable mode.

MP-57 had just been announced for a Jan/Feb release if you want the top of the range.

FT Phoenix is a bit older but still just as good, and the best 3P option

Siege Jetfire is the cheaper mainline toy option

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
(Erps so toys…)

It sounds like you're looking for a Macross Valkyrie, not Skyfire, really. Modern Skyfire/Jetfire figures are patterned after the cartoon version of the character, who is very legally distinct from the licensed Macross toy that served as his representation in the line. I'd suggest looking into Bandai and/or Yamato Macross figures in the 1/60 or 1/55 scale. You won't find a match for Jetfire's exact coloring but you can find something relatively close. If it has to be a Valkyrie that has Jetfire's paint scheme, though, you're talking about finding a vintage Transformers Jetfire, which will be very pricey. Especially if you want one that hasn't turned yellow over the years.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

I really like both the first and the second ones but they unfortunately don't go full Gerwalk (according to the sites that you listed). Thx for the listings. They did look cool though.

It sounds like you're looking for a Macross Valkyrie, not Skyfire, really. Modern Skyfire/Jetfire figures are patterned after the cartoon version of the character, who is very legally distinct from the licensed Macross toy that served as his representation in the line. I'd suggest looking into Bandai and/or Yamato Macross figures in the 1/60 or 1/55 scale. You won't find a match for Jetfire's exact coloring but you can find something relatively close. If it has to be a Valkyrie that has Jetfire's paint scheme, though, you're talking about finding a vintage Transformers Jetfire, which will be very pricey. Especially if you want one that hasn't turned yellow over the years.
It seems it was the original (G1 is what I see it's called now) Skyfire as it was way back then. I don't really recall being too into the paint scheme but this video shows a plastic model that I think looks great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxokJYPVjrI
I was looking but they don't seem to be selling much new Macross Valkyrie toys these days.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Might be just as hard to find but Trilling 30 Jetfire looked a lot more like a Valkyrie than it probably should.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
There are actually a ton of Macross toys, they are just really expensive. Just go on BBTS and search up Macross.

Like these Kidzconcept ones are supposed to come out in... November, I think? But I can't vouch for their quality:
www.kitzconcept.com

Macross (Robotech)

Macross (Robotech)

what you want is a VF-1S (ie: the head with four lasers, like Jetfire) with Fast pack.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Crosscut finally came in.

FUq7yE1WUAU_2uD

Also put in for Yukikaze because I'm crazy.

Lego Prime supposed to be here tomorrow but I'm looking at where it's at and am not optimistic.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
It might be worth mentioning that Yamato rebranded to Arcadia now and re-released a lot of their old Valkyrie models in a slightly higher quality than their earlier versions.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
True, I didn't mention Arcadia by name because I don't remember the last time they put out a new valk (though I am way way out of the loop), so I figured the aftermarket was even more pricey. I think Bandai finally got permission to sell macross stuff in the US from Harmony Gold but only Frontier and later stuff so far, not original Macross. I can't even remember the last time I saw a new Bandai Hi Metal R solicited. So I figured the only options for newish/retail stuff are Toynami, which are cheaper but I can't really recommend, and the upcoming Kidzconcept ones. Or go used.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I know everybody loves them Macross Valkyries

But are there any decent, affordable Mospeada Legioss figures? I see a few on BBTS but they are hundreds of dollars and also sold out.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I know everybody loves them Macross Valkyries

But are there any decent, affordable Mospeada Legioss figures? I see a few on BBTS but they are hundreds of dollars and also sold out.

Unless you like model kits I think the Riobot/Sentinel ones are the last ones made. Toynami did partner to get some cyclones so maybe they'll revisit Legioss. At least you're not a Southern Cross fan, that's basically non existent other than the old "two form" Matchbox toy.

Finally got Blaster, Kickback, and Drag Strip. Blaster is pretty neat but I wonder what an actual kid would think of what it transforms into. And Kickback is simplistic but awesome, I have no idea why they don't show the energon swords forming an abdomen in the instructions but even though it's non canon it's a great addition.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I actually cancelled my Shouki order today because I have no affection for that team/combiner and they're just too damn small to fit in any of my collection sets.

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
True, I didn't mention Arcadia by name because I don't remember the last time they put out a new valk (though I am way way out of the loop), so I figured the aftermarket was even more pricey. I think Bandai finally got permission to sell macross stuff in the US from Harmony Gold but only Frontier and later stuff so far, not original Macross. I can't even remember the last time I saw a new Bandai Hi Metal R solicited. So I figured the only options for newish/retail stuff are Toynami, which are cheaper but I can't really recommend, and the upcoming Kidzconcept ones. Or go used.
They actually just solicited a new Hi Metal R, the VF-0S from Macross Zero. It's also being distributed in North America.

If someone wanted a stand-in G1 Jetfire and money was no object, I think the DX Chogokin VF-1S Hikaru version with Fast Packs takes the top spot. Gorgeous figure.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got Naval Commander and he's everything I ever wanted in an Armada Prime figure. Megatron comes tomorrow. Really hope Fans Hobby goes beyond JetFire and Overload and gives us more Armada figures like Hot Shot and Starscream.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

I like this design a lot. It doesn't look overly feminine just because she's a female bot. At first, I thought the backpack looks huge until he brought out the Seige version. I think they still could do more, but it's definitely an improvement.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about halfway through Lego Prime. Some of the parts they use for the joints now would have blown my mind as a kid, trying to make similar figures of my own with varying degrees of success. The joints feel good on their own with lots of ratchets but once you put the mass of the body/legs on them they become much more flexible. There is already a bit of forward tilt when he is standing, depending on how you position the legs. The arms and backpack might help that. But I can see how they were against putting working knees in it. Once it is all together this thing will be really heavy. Voltron was bigger too but was more or less a statue outside the arms.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017

You can still find TM2 Megatron, but Optimal Optimus is far more challenging to get a hold of now.

www.bigbadtoystore.com

Perfect Beast PE-DX09 Mega Doragon

BigBadToyStore has a massive selection of toys (like action figures, statues, and collectibles) from Marvel, DC Comics, Transformers, Star Wars, Movies, TV Shows, and More

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can still find TM2 Megatron, but Optimal Optimus is far more challenging to get a hold of now.

www.bigbadtoystore.com

Perfect Beast PE-DX09 Mega Doragon

BigBadToyStore has a massive selection of toys (like action figures, statues, and collectibles) from Marvel, DC Comics, Transformers, Star Wars, Movies, TV Shows, and More

Yeah I just reordered megs off bbts. There's apparently a 4th party PE OpOp coming but the site selling him hasn't updated his status in almost a year so who knows???

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I just reordered megs off bits. There's apparently a 4th party PE OpOp coming but the site selling him hasn't updated his status in almost a year so who knows???

Keep in mind that the KO Optimal Optimus is oversized, so it might not scale as well. And many third part KOs have poorer quality materials and paints.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Keep in mind that the KO Optimal Optimus is oversized, so it might not scale as well. And many third part KOs have poorer quality materials and paints.

OpOp is supposed to be bigger than Dragon Megatron anyway. The funny thing is that this OSKO might be the only one that scales well with Megadoragon since the JX Megatron is still too big compared to the PE OSKO.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I actually cancelled my Shouki order today because I have no affection for that team/combiner and they're just too damn small to fit in any of my collection sets.

You know, I think this set is the perfect example of the dilemma of MP scale figures. At least when it comes to combiners.

I personally do not own any MP scale 3rd party combiners, but I've done a lot of research into them because I wanted one (but now I don't). In order to make a combiner at this size and poseable, you would need insane ratchet joints due to the volume of plastic packed into each limb. Or you can make your combiners into bricks like the G1 toys. I own the G1 Predaking. However, while the heavy-duty ratchets might work well when combined, they're no fun to mess with when not in combined mode. Though not all of them require you to engage with those joints uncombined. Just watch any review of someone trying to show off the poseability of any of these 3rd party combiners and you'll feel the discomfort through the screen. If they wanted to make a combiner lighter, they'll have to use lighter plastic, and I'm not sure they would be all that durable.

So I get why Takara made their set smaller because all the 3rd party MP scale combiners have been a pain in the ass to pose or even combine. Smaller bot, lighter figure. But in making them small, they can't scale with the rest of the MP line.

I feel like if you want to collect combiners, have them scale, and be fun to mess with and pose, you have to go CHUG or Legends scale. Hell, even CHUG might be pushing it a little. The Legends scale seems to be a good size for combiners when it comes to weight. Of course, shitty design can still ruin them, but they're well designed, they better than MP scale. Hell, I think the Takara train bots might as well be Legends scale at this point. I think they're small enough.

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Takara is focusing on 1 things for the train bots. Realistic trains and cartoon accurate robot modes. If you want Raiden. Go with Moon Studios. Takara will be my bots and Moon Studios my Raiden

Sam (a 3D Designer and now with Ties to MMC) made a good thread about this (and a good discussion with Bobby Skullface on his Patreon).