• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Certain political and social topics in which you're expected to echo the one allowed opinion/point of view.

Trying to have a discussion is not viable in those. You'll get multiple replies either attacking you, calling you an idiot or sarcastically comparing your posts to alt righter speak.

I appreciate it when rational people can disagree in a respectable fashion and not try to look beyond your words for some "hidden agenda".

Since moderation allows this kind of behavior, certain threads will always be 100% one sided. In those threads if my opinion doesn't fall in line I just refrain from posting.

It's a shame it has to be this way. And it's only gotten worse with time.

Sep 14, 2018
Not sure I follow. How am I making anything a minefield?

Not you specifically, the users who go into "sensitive" threads, drop their hot take and complain of piling on when they are challenged, some discussions aren't worth having, though there's something to be said for educating people but again, I've seen a lot of bad faith attempts to justify stupid shit, usually involving women, claims of harrasment/abuse, blaming victims for being victims etc.

Can you share some examples of these types of posts please? Link post numbers. Curious what exactly your referring to I'd like to understand.

I have a great example of both these points actually, it even features me!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/fo...es-so-on-live-stream-up-charged.86059/page-12

Post #566

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None. These "purity test" whining posts in here are hilarious.
Politics/Racism/Sexism/Accusations threads.

They're always hostile as fuck, and some posters are simply out for blood OR just continue spouting the same tired shit they always do until someone goes too far. They always turn into a game of "gotcha" and it's just not worth the mental energy to bother. They really show the lack of "community" this place has sometimes.

I thought these two posts put together illustrate the situation nicely.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Wow there are alot of people partially showing their ass in this thread with the things they are worried about. It's kind of amazing to watch.

Especially those about "purity tests" or "not liberal enough". As long as you don't have a shit opinion or view then there is nothing to worry about. The fact that you are worried says alot though.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Wow there are alot of people partially showing their ass in this thread with the things they are worried about. It's kind of amazing to watch.

Especially those about "purity tests" or "not liberal enough". As long as you don't have a shit opinion or view then there is nothing to worry about. The fact that you are worried says alot though.

The thread is specifically about what people are worried about and why they don't post in some threads. No need to shit on people or be all judgmental, c'mon.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The thread is specifically about what people are worried about and why they don't post in some threads. No need to shit on people or be all judgmental, c'mon.

I get that, but there is no reason to worry about those specific things unless your views or opinion break the rules. You don't get banned from Era just for disagreeing with people.

Like for example this

Threads where you get banned for opposite views.

This doesn't happen. I am pretty sure the mods have never banned someone for simply disagreeing with others. And if they were banned during a disagreement then there is alot more to the story than a simple difference of opinion.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most threads titled like "X is the greatest Y of all time"

The OP usually reeks of being an insufferable dork.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
The gaming side - that place can make the most intelligent people here sound like gamer stereotypes. I stumbled into the Kimmel Fortnite thread and good lord.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Politics/Racism/Sexism/Accusations threads.

They're always hostile as fuck, and some posters are simply out for blood OR just continue spouting the same tired shit they always do until someone goes too far. They always turn into a game of "gotcha" and it's just not worth the mental energy to bother. They really show the lack of "community" this place has sometimes.
Pretty much

Feels like half of the posts are just bait for people to engage and get banned

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
> ERA
> "Too liberal"
L O L

Never ever been banned for opposing opinions. Just two well deserved ones for being too fuckin' heated on GAF.

Somehow I managed to debate someone over... Something about Islam and free speech, I think? Where I took an opinion that wasn't 'too liberal'. Am I overdue for my ban or something?

Not you specifically, the users who go into "sensitive" threads, drop their hot take and complain of piling on when they are challenged, some discussions aren't worth having, though there's something to be said for educating people but again, I've seen a lot of bad faith attempts to justify stupid shit, usually involving women, claims of harrasment/abuse, blaming victims for being victims etc.

I have a great example of both these points actually, it even features me!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/fo...es-so-on-live-stream-up-charged.86059/page-12

Post #566

Pretty much.

Oct 25, 2017
Threads about trans issues. Not because I worry about responses, but mores because I'm a white/hetro/cis dude and I have more to learn than I have to contribute.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Certain political and social topics in which you're expected to echo the one allowed opinion/point of view.

Trying to have a discussion is not viable in those. You'll get multiple replies either attacking you, calling you an idiot or sarcastically comparing your posts to alt righter speak.

I appreciate it when rational people can disagree in a respectable fashion and not try to look beyond your words for some "hidden agenda".

Since moderation allows this kind of behavior, certain threads will always be 100% one sided. In those threads if my opinion doesn't fall in line I just refrain from posting.

Pretty much this

I was pretty much trying to make a post that said the same, however you said it much clearer than my attempt at formulating it

Oct 25, 2017
This irritates me to no end you have no idea.

I think it's pretty easy to parse, do you want your hobby to define your whole being? I never identify myself as a "gamer" anymore. I just "play a lot of videogames."

2014-09-01-338.png

Deleted member 31247

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I stay out of most topics on the Etcetera side, generally the discussion is hyper sensitive and no one wants any real discussion or opposing viewpoints.

Feels like we need a forum that exists between the extremes of GAF and ERA to me.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Any politically charged thread in gaming and most of Etcera. I understand people have their views but I'm not going to change them neither they're going to change mine, so why bother?

The ignore threads function has been a blessing.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get that, but there is no reason to worry about those specific things unless your views or opinion break the rules. You don't get banned from Era just for disagreeing with people.

Like for example this

This doesn't happen. I am pretty sure the mods have never banned someone for simply disagreeing with others. And if they were banned during a disagreement then there is alot more to the story than a simple difference of opinion.
> ERA
> "Too liberal"
L O L

Never ever been banned for opposing opinions. Just two well deserved ones for being too fuckin' heated on GAF.

Somehow I managed to debate someone over... Something about Islam and free speech, I think? Where I took an opinion that wasn't 'too liberal'. Am I overdue for my ban or something?

Pretty much.
Getting banned is not the main issue though, it's how differing opinions are prosecuted and piled on aggressively in a non civil manner that's tolerated in this discussion forum.

A major disconnect is that not every opposing post is a "hot take" (god I hate this term). A good number are well articulated, yet are perceived as trolling or disingenuous.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Getting banned is not the main issue though, it's how differing opinions are prosecuted and piled on aggressively in a non civil manner that's tolerated in this discussion forum.

A major disconnect is that not every opposing post is a "hot take" (god I hate this term). A good number are well articulated, yet are perceived as trolling or disingenuous.

Can you list an example of a well articulated post being treated that way? Because I have never seen that myself.

If a post is getting "prosecuted and piled on" its always been deserved in my experience. Usually when people try and defend something heinous or try and downplay something serious. And I say that as someone who got treated that way in the past and looking back I 100% deserved it.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I got banned in a J K Rowling thread. I'm one of the most liberal people I know, but not liberal enough to join a discourse on here with a different point of view. I stay away from anything to do with equality/freedom of speech etc. now, despite holding feminist views myself.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you list an example of a well articulated post being treated that way? Because I have never seen that myself.

If a post is getting "prosecuted and piled on" its always been deserved in my experience. Usually when people try and defend something heinous or try and downplay something serious. And I say that as someone who got treated that way in the past and looking back I 100% deserved it.
Let's say that you take some time writing a reply stating very clearly what your thought process was like. Without attacking anyone.

Let's also say that another user read your post and found it to be completely in the wrong and maybe even offensive in some way.

What would benefit discussion more? Replying with "you are wrong and this is why: ..." or "wow look at this dumb post"?

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Heated topics with a clear American bias mostly concerning race and Russia

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Let's say that you take some time writing a reply stating very clearly what your thought process was like. Without attacking anyone.

Let's also say that another user read your post and found it to be completely in the wrong and maybe even offensive in some way.

What would benefit discussion more? Replying with "you are wrong and this is why: ..." or "wow look at this dumb post"?

It depends on the topic and what exactly is said to be honest. Sometimes opinions and views are so offensive or ridiculous that they deserve to be called what they are and if they are dumb, racist, sexist , homophobic or whatever else then they need to be called that.

Sometimes sugarcoating does more harm than good and not all opinions deserve to even be acknowledged or treated with the respect of an argument.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

I disagree. There's been quite a few members that have mentioned problems with era as well as some questionable modding. Keep an eye out for it and you'll notice. When gaf was in its prime the community was good and the modding, with the exception of a few, was quality. Good times. Towards the implosion things got toxic and it was common to hear about the hive mind of the site. So when era was formed I was hoping it would be a return to a more friendly community like we once had but instead this place often feels closer to the later years of gaf with it's own growing hive mind and it's own twist. Who knows maybe this is all due to the way the internet has become more toxic in general but I hope this site improves as it grows instead of ending up like the old one.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I disagree. There's been quite a few members that have mentioned problems with era as well as some questionable modding. Keep an eye out for it and you'll notice. When gaf was in its prime the community was good and the modding, with the exception of a few, was quality. Good times. Towards the implosion things got toxic and it was common to hear about the hive mind of the site. So when era was formed I was hoping it would be a return to a more friendly community like we once had but instead this place often feels closer to the later years of gaf with it's own growing hive mind and it's own twist. Who knows maybe this is all due to the way the internet has become more toxic in general but I hope this site improves as it grows instead of ending up like the old one.

How is Era a "hivemind"? Because they have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to offensive views? Most places need to have that kind of stance when it comes to such things. There shouldn't be a platform for that kind of stuff. And if thats not what you mean can you be more specific? Because aside from most people here leaning more towards the Left than the Right on most issues I'm not sure what you mean.

Also not sure what threads or hangouts you partake in, but this community has been friendly as hell in my opinion. I have met some good people and learned quite alot from them despite me not deserving it at certain points in my time here.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got banned in a J K Rowling thread. I'm one of the most liberal people I know, but not liberal enough to join a discourse on here with a different point of view. I stay away from anything to do with equality/freedom of speech etc. now, despite holding feminist views myself.

This really sums up most of these complaints in the thread. Just because you consider yourself to be a liberal doesn't mean that you don't still have blind spots or can't make mistakes.

It doesn't make you perfect to be liberal and you should be open to the fact that there's still a lot you can learn, and that you might have been banned because what you said was offensive. Closing yourself off to those subjects completely instead of actually learning or even attempting to listen to others is not a failure of the forum or the moderators, but with this feeling that a lot of you have that you just can't be wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
I usually just read and don't post in threads about LGBTQ issues because I don't think there is anything of value I could reply there.
Don't know if that's what OP means tho.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

You were banned because you implied that inclusion is just "the trend" rather than something that should be done or should be sought after. You even said white directors should be able to make all white movies without any issues if they wanted to. I would say you earned that ban to be honest. And if you didn't mean those things the way they sounded then you probably should have been a bit more explicit in your meaning given the sensitive nature of the topic that you were addressing.

The post in question in case others are curious.

I suppose what made me post originally was this trend right now of people telling studios which race/gender they need to cast someone as, for no other reason than increasing representation of minorities. I'm not saying it's a bad thing per se, but something about it from an artist's point of view doesn't sit right with me. If a white man want's to write a story/movie featuring exclusively white people, he shouldn't be stopped from doing so.

What we need to work on instead is making sure we have a much broader representation in the people actually making/writing these things. Studio execs also need to step up, and there are already encouraging signs happening on that front recently.

In this case, JK Rowling chose to do what she did and she should be criticised - absolutely - but again, it was her character to write and her story to change. That said, I don't have a huge problem with the reasons people are unhappy with the character, and I agree with the sentiment, more or less.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Closing yourself off to those subjects completely instead of actually learning or even attempting to listen to others is not a failure of the forum or the moderators, but with this feeling that a lot of you have that you just can't be wrong.
This goes both ways.

I have been wrong before and I'm sure I'm still wrong on multiple things. I learn by reading, listening and participating in discussions. But what is being promoted here is to not share your differing opinion regardless of how respectfully presented because you'll be mocked and possibly even banned for it.

I don't want to resort to calling the forum a hivemind. Nothing will be achieved if each side of any discussion resorted to blanket terms, especially since a few users don't represent the opinion of the thousands of others on here regardless of how some are clearly much more active in specific topics.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
In my 12 or so years in this community there has never been a subject that I've avoided nor felt I couldn't express myself in, if it's a sensitive issue sometimes i'll take extra effort to ensure my tone is a bit more gentle or what I discuss takes into account the perspective of others, and if I ever feel myself getting a bit heated, i'll step away for a few. Though there are subjects where I may feel it's more useful for me to just read, listen, and learn from the thoughts and opinions of others more knowledgeable of, effected by, or just closer to the subject.

Star Wars and Dark Souls 2 threads

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most anime threads honestly.

Anime communities just tend to be awful.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Pretty easy to say as the conductor.

Is it that hard to just listen? If people are telling you they feel a certain way and are reticent to post, then why not try to understand why instead of simply dismissing them as a closet alt-right asshole?

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017

This resonates with my experience here. You never know when some mod or mod-protected member has a bad day and is out for blood because a topic is PERSONAL to them, so it's best to not even participate.
Anime threads. I don't like or watch the stuff.
Which part of the thread title confused you

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You were banned because you implied that inclusion is just "the trend" rather than something that should be done or should be sought after. You even said white directors should be able to make all white movies without any issues if they wanted to. I would say you earned that ban to be honest. And if you didn't mean those things the way they sounded then you probably should have been a bit more explicit in your meaning given the sensitive nature of the topic that you were addressing.

The post in question in case others are curious.
hmm...

Calling it a trend and saying something like "no other reason than increasing representation of minorities" are definitely opinions I strongly disagree with.

In this case replies to that post were civil, pointing out how that mindset can be problematic. So as far as how the argument was handled there's no issue here. I'd love to see more examples of this.

As for the ban I think a warning would have sufficed, but then again I don't have the full picture or history of this particular discussion on era so I don't have a say in that.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This goes both ways.

I have been wrong before and I'm sure I'm still wrong on multiple things. I learn by reading, listening and participating in discussions. But what is being promoted here is to not share your differing opinion regardless of how respectfully presented because you'll be mocked and possibly even banned for it.

I don't want to resort to calling the forum a hivemind. Nothing will be achieved if each side of any discussion resorted to blanket terms, especially since a few users don't represent the opinion of the thousands of others on here regardless of how some are clearly much more active in specific topics.

The only way you would be banned is if what you are saying is against the rules of the forum. And being mocked for having an opinion is not some great crime. It happens all over this forum all the time and other forums across the internet. I don't understand how this is a hard topic to understand. People get ragged on and made fun of all the time for their sports teams of choice, their favorite movies, their favorite games or their taste in music on here. Or whatever other opinion they have. That is not new. That is not exclusive to Era. I listed 2 example below to better explain what I am trying to say

Thread about a popular movie: "Everyone likes *insert popular movie here* and I do not. *insert reason why here*

Now beyond a certain amount of blowback from fans of the movie you are not going to be banned for this and you shouldn't be afraid to present that opinion if you wanna do so. Yeah you could possibly get criticized for it, but this is a forum and that is gonna happen if you present an opposing view on literally anything that matters to someone else. Thats not a hivemind and thats not being unfair. Thats called an internet forum. Presenting an unpopular opinion and then pretending to be shocked that people quote you and criticize it is just ridiculous.

Thread about LGBTQ rights: "I don't think these people should be able to *insert right or privilege here* because *insert reason why here*

Now this is different. You are no longer just presenting your opinion on a topic, but you are now being potentially offensive towards other members of the forum by implying that they should not be allowed certain rights or privileges that the rest of the population enjoys. You are of course going to get criticism and blowback for such a statement. And depending on what you say exactly you could also be breaking the rules of the forum. This is also not a hivemind or being unfair. There are rules on every forum and platform on the internet. If your view violates those rules and you still present it anyway then that is on YOU not the community of that forum or platform. You don't get to blame everyone else for being offended at your offensive post. That would be like me getting pulled over for speeding and then getting mad at the cop for paying attention. Thats not how that works.

TL;DR

The only reason you should be afraid to present your opinion or view on Era is if its an offensive one. If you are simply just afraid of criticism however then thats on you and not the community.

Last edited:

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
US Politics Era...great source of info but don't feel like I have much to add to the conversation.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017

Is it that hard to just listen? If people are telling you they feel a certain way and are reticent to post, then why not try to understand why instead of simply dismissing them as a closet alt-right asshole?
You mean like someone like yourself, who tried to claim that I singled out white people when I stated "Whether or not black people should or shouldn't say nigga is a discussion that only black people get to be a part of." and I asked you to quote me and you dropped it? So I should listen to garbage like that? What am I a conductor of exactly?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Can you tell me why they are reticent to post then? Because all I have seen so far is that they are either afraid of being mocked/criticized or they are afraid of being banned. And I explained above why those excuses don't really work in my opinion.

The rest of the thread's reasoning is totally fine in my opinion. Some people just don't like certain topics or feel like they are unqualified to comment on others and thats totally fine, but being "afraid" of certain topics is kind of absurd to me.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017

That's all I'm getting from this thread as well smfh.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Most topics really. Most of the time because I have nothing intresting to add. Compared to most members here I am dumb as bricks lol

Jktpnymonorel

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
PDP thread and JP thread
you know why

weekly "bash ffxv" thread
every argument there is just a repetition. pro or againts

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Politics mostly. Even if I'm liberal I oftentimes on here am not liberal enough for some ppl and I get tired of dealing with that

This..

Posters trying to tell me how the world works and if i dont follow their rules i am a racist or whatever they can find to drop on you.
Thank god my status in my social life is anything but racist but dont mind telling that to them coz they have the bingo card ready to say your full of shit

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watch all the topics I know are going to be controversial, mainly to quickly scroll through and judge how all the bans and arguments are going. It's kind of like how I'm drawn to the Daily Mail. I hate seeing it, but it's hard to look away. Like a train crash.

It's gotten harder to do that since the site update. Bans and warnings don't stand out as much :(

I try to avoid threads about the police in particular, though, since nobody's going to have my back if I try to defend them and they're one of the few topics I'll get heated about.

Status
Not open for further replies.