• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you want to see milked

• Embracer

Votes: 49 8.7%
  • Tomb Raider

Votes: 161 28.5%
  • Deus Ex

Votes: 326 57.7%
  • Thief

Votes: 116 20.5%
  • Kotaku

Votes: 91 16.1%
  • Square Enix

Votes: 58 10.3%
  • Thor: The Legacy of Kain

Votes: 167 29.6%

• Total voters

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
If I had to choose between SE-owned DeusEx projects sitting in incubators and being way overly careful on if/when they'll work on or release titles, and the rumors of all the forced MP integration..... and a newly owned company being very gung-ho about funding and pushing projects out the door with an unknown level of quality or direction....

I'm gonna go with option B. DE as a property for me has very much been a "shit or get off the pot" franchise for a while now and a "go fast and break things" strategy at the very least could help shake out a bunch of the bad ideas sooner than later and help them figure out what works and what doesn't.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, potential good modern ports and remasters of Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex and Thief. How will I ever deal with this terrible milking.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Lotta people in this thread are dreaming about some glorious new AAA Deus Ex game, and Embracer is dreaming about the profit margins on Switch ports and barebones Steam collections. Games media maybe seems more aware of what kind of stuff is likely to come out of this deal.

Game media seems to be more aware of what?

Everyone following Embracer is pretty aware of how they work; they buy an IP -> they remaster or remake older titles -> if successful they make a new one.

rise and repeat. This has been their m.o for over 5 years by now, Kotaku should do some basic research instead of writing shitty articles.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Good?

I mean, horror of horrors if we get a remaster of every Legacy of Kain game or something, wouldn't that just be tragic /s

Better than SE sitting on them with no intention to do anything with them.

ChemicalWorld

"This guy are sick"
Dec 6, 2017
Oh no, potential good modern ports and remasters of Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex and Thief. How will I ever deal with this terrible milking.
My thoughts exactly. SE seriously shit the bed with these franchises. I'd kill to play the classic Tomb Raider games on modern hardware (especially the Switch!).

Here's hoping fans of all these franchises get well served going forward!

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
At last, confirmation of a remake for Angel of Darkness that the world has been clamouring for.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm all for more Deus Ex games. "Milk them" is a subjective phrase with a negative connotation. As a fan, I'm glad we'll be getting more Deus Ex. I hope the games are good and I'm excited for the future.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Clearly putting them on licensed products in genres those developers have comparably less experience must be better!!1

LD50

Banned
May 11, 2022
Does Embracer also own the recent releases from the catalog they just bought? Could they conceivably release the sequel to Mankind Divided?

I have no interest in TR, and what could happen to a current release of the LoK IP scares the fuck outta me.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I think people put a negative connotation on the work milking but I think they are just saying that they are going to get every bit of usefulness out of these franchises.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel the headline doesn't match the statement at all...
Right? They didn't say at all that they're gonna operate a grimey Money-grab, but that is what Kotaku sure makes it sound like with the title. Strange though. I've never known Kotaku to misrepresent the words of someone to convey a more negative message.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
The fact that they own that many studios and you can't think of any of their games is sort of the point.

Lotta people in this thread are dreaming about some glorious new AAA Deus Ex game, and Embracer is dreaming about the profit margins on Switch ports and barebones Steam collections. Games media maybe seems more aware of what kind of stuff is likely to come out of this deal.

I mean, all of these games (except Blood Omen 1 (which is on GOG) , and Soul Reaver, which was removed to 3rd party renderware issues) are already on Steam, so I fail to see your point?

Does Embracer also own the recent releases from the catalog they just bought? Could they conceivably release the sequel to Mankind Divided?

I have no interest in TR, and what could happen to a current release of the LoK IP scares the fuck outta me.

Yes, they'll own the Jensen games. We can hope that EM is stoked to make a Jensen threequel

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it's good games we are getting from it being milked then sign me up. Tired of publishers buying up so many properties and only releasing a few games because they wanna make way for other stuff they have lined up(i.e. the star wars license)

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Would be cool if they did remakes of all the real Tomb Raider games. They already remade 1, so they'd just have to do the others.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Literally give me anything jensen and denton I don't care. Body pillows, remakes of dx1 and ports, DX Gacha, dating sims, retro style point and click adventures, character action games, lessgo.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they own that many studios and you can't think of any of their games is sort of the point.

Until now, they bought mostly small studios with not so known IPs, also most people just don't know that something is published by embracer, especially since most of their games appear under their subsidiaries published games, not embracer. So no, the fact that someone can't think of any games from them doesn't really show much.

The fact that they've only bought low profile studios and IPs also means they definitely weren't gonna make AAA games out of those IPs (and it's the thing I like the most about them, btw). They're definitely not gonna give Deus Ex, Tomb Raider the same treatment they gave to Spongebob and Destroy All Humans(which was good by the way, as those two IPs have been resurrected in the game space after almost 20 years of trash games). I have seen many people afraid of this scenario, but to me it's just crazy that someone could actually think this, while for the "Embracer only makes remakes and steam collections" people should just ask Outcast fans.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
oh no the horror

anyway, modern renditions of classic TR, DX, Kain, and Thief games would be great

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
My predictions:
Deus Ex Re-Augmented
Deus Ex The Adam Jensen Collection
Tomb Raider Classic Collection
Tomb Raider Re-Anniversary
Legacy of Kain Collection

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, 100%. Give me a 4k, 60+ FPS DX collection right now. The two modern ones plus all dlc would be an instant purchase without question.

Yup give us that, announce a Mankind Divided sequel from Eidos Montreal and a Deus Ex remake from another studio. That would put Square Enix to shame

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is the headline phrased in such a negative way lol. Getting rereleases of great games is good?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Most of these franchises are long overdue for someone who would be willing to "milk" them I'd say.
Especially as for that to be actually an option they'd need to produce great new games in them all first.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Nice.

Not a die-hard fan of the series or anything, but the Jensen series as you call it definitely scratches that itch Alpha Protocol left all those years ago.
When we had those early trailers for Mankind Divided where you're supposed to be tapping informants to find out more about the Illuminati, I had hopes they were going to be cribbing more from Alpha Protocol.

Unfortunately, they didn't. But Prague was still an amazing place to explore.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Yup give us that, announce a Mankind Divided sequel from Eidos Montreal and a Deus Ex remake from another studio. That would put Square Enix to shame

Absolutely. Anything is better than just ignoring the franchise because you can't come up with a quick way of flipping it into some gaas garbage.

I think the ideal is the Mass Effect collection. It came out basically perfect and was a terrific way to play through the franchise again.