• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it receives the budget and directorial guts to really tap into the visual style and mood of the source material. It's a shame it couldn't be a movie. I get the feeling this is going to be one of those shows where all of the fantastical elements are metaphored into hot people wearing high fashion suit jackets, standing around talking in various sets all resembling somewhere in southern California.

Sandman is too big for a movie if you ask me.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
It's important to note that Neil Gaiman has stated multiple times that he already had his fill with 1:1 adapting the comic. He did that recently with an awesome audiobook production [that cast is insane].

For TV show, he sad they want to adapt and modernize as much as they want. That we should expect changes.

TM_Sandman_LaunchV2_PDP_CAST_DT_V2.jpg

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's important to note that Neil Gaiman has stated multiple times that he already had his fill with 1:1 adapting the comic. He did that recently with an awesome audiobook production [that cast is insane].

For TV show, he sad they want to adapt and modernize as much as they want. That we should expect changes.

Is there a version of the audiobook synced up with the actual comics?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Apple TV+ Nearing Order For 6-Part ‘In With The Devil’; Taron Egerton, Paul Walter Hauser Star, Michael R. Roskam Directs Dennis Lehane-Scripted Adaptation

Apple TV+ Taron Egerton, Paul Walter Hauser In With The Devil Michael R. Roskam Directs 6-Part Limited Series Dennis Lehane Script

Earlier this week Deadline reported Taron Egerton was attached to The Sandman so I hope he's in negotiations to be John Constantine.
Wow I can totally see him as Constantine.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Really great casting so far. I wonder who they'll cast as Doctor Destiny, he's a very interesting character and had an amazing performance in the audiodrama by William Hope.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like they're combining a few of the stories, or else they plan to have it go for a while to cover several storylines. Most of these characters (like Lucifer and Burgess) are from Preludes & Nocturnes, but The Corinthian doesn't appear in that story.

Excellent casting, though. But they still have plenty of opportunities to fuck it up, so here's hoping.
My bet is that they do the exact same coverage of the recent audiobook in a season.

Lucifer only shows when Dream goes to hell looking for his tools, and Corinthian is the final arc of the season.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'll miss the random DC Comics characters appearing. I am VERY curious to see how this plays out though. Sandman was one of my FAVORITE comics when I was a teenager.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Unfortunate. Audiobooks and TV shows aren't the same thing.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
My bet is that they do the exact same coverage of the recent audiobook in a season.

Lucifer only shows when Dream goes to hell looking for his tools, and Corinthian is the final arc of the season.
That almost seems like they'd be rushing it... Depending on the length of an episode, I'd almost prefer one issue = one episode (something like "24 Hours" or "The Sound of Her Wings" really deserve their own episodes), with a season (8-10 episodes) taking up just one of the collected graphic novels. It would make sure there's plenty of time to set the tone and make sure everything gets covered.

That said, I haven't listened to the audio book, so I'm not sure how it's paced.

Oct 29, 2017
That almost seems like they'd be rushing it... Depending on the length of an episode, I'd almost prefer one issue = one episode (something like "24 Hours" or "The Sound of Her Wings" really deserve their own episodes), with a season (8-10 episodes) taking up just one of the collected graphic novels. It would make sure there's plenty of time to set the tone and make sure everything gets covered.

That said, I haven't listened to the audio book, so I'm not sure how it's paced.
The audiobook is 11 hours long. I think it is pretty close to a 1:1 adaptation, but it's been a while since I read the comic.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
I was not expeting much, but after seeing Lucifer and Lucienne casting, I'm really excited and curious about the direction this is going. I LOVE IT.

I hope Desire is in season 1.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
For those who want to read the books, public libraries normally have the Sandman comics (or can request them from the system). What a great collection. I can't fully envision a live-action adaptation but we'll see, in Gaiman we trust.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Looks like they're combining a few of the stories, or else they plan to have it go for a while to cover several storylines. Most of these characters (like Lucifer and Burgess) are from Preludes & Nocturnes, but The Corinthian doesn't appear in that story.

Excellent casting, though. But they still have plenty of opportunities to fuck it up, so here's hoping.

I hope Desire is in season 1.

I found this tweet and i want to express a correction to my previously stated stuff

]

Season 1 will INDEED feature not just preludes and nocturnes but also Doll House

Which means

10 episodes for 2 arcs (16 issues)

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope they give it enough room to breathe, I wouldn't want them to rush through and not give these stories their due.

Although there is some stuff they can do to trim it down, like moving Nada's story to S2, making for a smoother segue into Season of Mists.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Are the comics at least at all related to the Lucifer that also currently has a TV show on Netflix? lol

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Are the comics at least at all related to the Lucifer that also currently has a TV show on Netflix? lol
I'd say he's probably closer related to Peter Stormare's character from the Keanu Reeves movie.

If they really wanted to fuck with people, they should have Keanu play Constantine (it's basically a cameo for like, one issue).

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Sturridge will either be brilliant or completely irritating, there will be no in between, lol. To be positive, I'm hoping for the former. Christie as Lucifier sounds fantastic.

Oh, wow, I had no this existed! I'll have to check it out.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I found this tweet and i want to express a correction to my previously stated stuff

]

Season 1 will INDEED feature not just preludes and nocturnes but also Doll House

Which means

10 episodes for 2 arcs (16 issues)

I can see them leaving Nada story to be told together with Season of Mists in the probably season 2, but don't they dare not including Hob's story in the first season. So around 15 issues.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It SHOULD have been the same character but it is a shitty adaptation =P

That version of Lucifer started on sandman and got a spinoff and that spinoff is the basis for the Lucifer tv show
I'd say he's probably closer related to Peter Stormare's character from the Keanu Reeves movie.

If they really wanted to fuck with people, they should have Keanu play Constantine (it's basically a cameo for like, one issue).
They just need a super crossover to merge the different universes. lol