• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Reschedule it for earlier summer next year, like early June.

Isn't that a wet period in Japan? Plus Euro 2020 has been moved to June 11-July 11 2021 and Copa America 2020 has been moved to the same dates. Cant see all 3 clashing. If it moves, it'll need to be the same dates but one year later.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping they're able to pick a date that won't require rushing it.

My only real problem would be the hotel... No cancellations, though maybe I could move dates?

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
www3.nhk.or.jp

Olympic torch relay to start as planned | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

The International Olympic Committee has decided to start discussions with Japanese organizers about the future of the Tokyo Games, including the possibility of a postponement. The IOC plans to reach a decision within four weeks.

sources say the Olympic torch relay will start in Fukushima Prefecture next Thursday as scheduled.

If it is decided the Tokyo Games are to be postponed, after discussions that may last for about a month, there will be concerns over what to do about the relay that will be underway.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Looks more and more like IOC's hand will be forced.
Canceling my flight and getting my full refund shouldn't be hard, I hope.
That being said, I'm curious what will happen to my ticket reservations.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm mostly worried about my flight. It was eyewateringly expensive and booked through a third party.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Tokyo Olympics postponed until 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says that he and International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach have agreed to postpone this summer's Tokyo Olympics for about one year due to the coronavirus pandemic

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach agreed Tuesday to postpone this summer's Tokyo Olympics due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Japanese leader said.

After speaking with Bach on the phone, Abe told reporters that they will aim to hold the Olympics and Paralympics next year.

Edit: Article has been updated with a statement from Koike:
Tokyo Gov. Yuriko Koike, who joined the talks, said they will aim to stage the games in the summer of 2021 and there is no possibility of holding them by the end of this year.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully they sort new dates as soon as is humanly possible, because I'm going to have to contact about a billion different hotels etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a group of 8 that we're trying to decide on what we should do. Most likely making it a trip withhout the olympics, but debating on whether to just keep our current bookings or start trying to get refunds now...

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there's a statement up on the Olympic site now:
www.olympic.org

Joint Statement from the International Olympic Committee and the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee - Olympic News

The President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Thomas Bach, and the Prime Minister of Japan, Abe Shinzo, held a conference call this

In the present circumstances and based on the information provided by the WHO today, the IOC President and the Prime Minister of Japan have concluded that the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in Tokyo must be rescheduled to a date beyond 2020 but not later than summer 2021, to safeguard the health of the athletes, everybody involved in the Olympic Games and the international community.

The leaders agreed that the Olympic Games in Tokyo could stand as a beacon of hope to the world during these troubled times and that the Olympic flame could become the light at the end of the tunnel in which the world finds itself at present. Therefore, it was agreed that the Olympic flame will stay in Japan. It was also agreed that the Games will keep the name Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
What makes me annoyed is I purchased travel insurance on the flight, then they sent me an email a few days ago saying "Hey here are all the reasonable reasons you could cancel your flight due to COVID-19, guess what, we're not covering those."

So now I have to become a refund wrangler.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've got a group of 8 that we're trying to decide on what we should do. Most likely making it a trip withhout the olympics, but debating on whether to just keep our current bookings or start trying to get refunds now...

This year? I don't believe that I will be able to travel over there this year before September. That train left the station.

Oct 25, 2017
This year? I don't believe that I will be able to travel over there this year before September. That train left the station.
id say its still plausible, but I'm more concerned with refunds. I dont have trip insurance. So I need the flight to basically get cancelled to get a refund.

Japan banning entry would do that, but I need them to do so that far in advance

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
id say its still plausible, but I'm more concerned with refunds. I dont have trip insurance. So I need the flight to basically get cancelled to get a refund.

Japan banning entry would do that, but I need them to do so that far in advance

Look above you

The countries to be subject to the entry ban are Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Italy, Iran, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, Norway, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, and the Vatican.

This is the begining and will just increase. So...summer is out of question imo. Starting September could be different (I hope so).

I mean they already had the 14 day quarantine started so I am not surprised. Just hoping that I will be able to come back starting September. :-/ But this should be a reason for KLM to cancel my flight or getting my money back. Haven't checked if I can rebook farther ahead (after 31st August).

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
What makes me annoyed is I purchased travel insurance on the flight, then they sent me an email a few days ago saying "Hey here are all the reasonable reasons you could cancel your flight due to COVID-19, guess what, we're not covering those."

So now I have to become a refund wrangler.
My travel insurance has tried getting out of it. I need to work out another angle as I really can't afford to not get my money back.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
But this should be a reason for KLM to cancel my flight or getting my money back. Haven't checked if I can rebook farther ahead (after 31st August).

If your flight does get cancelled make sure you get an actual refund like your EU air passenger rights says you're required to get and not a shitty voucher. Unless you want a voucher of course :P

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If your flight does get cancelled make sure you get an actual refund like your EU air passenger rights says you're required to get and not a shitty voucher. Unless you want a voucher of course :P

I mean now that entry is forbidden they have to cancel don't they? But yeah thanks for the tip :) Voucher is okay and I like KLM but I would rather have the money haha

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
My travel insurance has tried getting out of it. I need to work out another angle as I really can't afford to not get my money back.
I mean now that entry is forbidden they have to cancel don't they? But yeah thanks for the tip :) Voucher is okay and I like KLM but I would rather have the money haha

Now that I'm thinking about it, if Japan bans entry from America, then I have an EZPZ excuse to get a refund. So uh, hurry up and ban me Abe.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Olympics: Tokyo Games not limited to summertime, Bach says

The Tokyo Olympics could take place outside of the summer months, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach says

The Tokyo Olympics could take place earlier than the summer of 2021, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach said Wednesday.

Bach told reporters by conference call that other options beside the traditional summer months "were on the table" as the planning moves forward.

The IOC chief said a task force has been established between the Olympic coordinating commission and the organizing committee to iron out a massive volume of issues.

"After consulting with them, we also have to take into account the sports calendar around the Olympic Games," he said.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Would be so much fucking easier if they move it to the exact same point next year, but I'm sure they'll choose to mess around with it, just because.

I am NOT looking forward to the nightmare of trying to get hotels etc booked again, it was bad enough the first time around.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
That would be fine as long as they make the decision NOW. Need the lead time to ensure hotels don't already have bookings in place.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh... do you think they'll re-run the lotteries? I'm praying they just roll the tickets allocations over.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Japan is already usually packed to brim with tourists. I can't even imagine what it will be like with the Olympics. I almost feel bad for the people of Japan.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I got the email from Cosport saying that my ticket purchases would be honored. However I wonder if schedule changes are gonna mess up my plans and create more overlapping events

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I got the email from Cosport saying that my ticket purchases would be honored. However I wonder if schedule changes are gonna mess up my plans and create more overlapping events
If they've got even the slightest sense, they'll leave the schedule alone. Just change the dates.

I don't have a co-sport email, so that's slightly concerning.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Are the 2024 Olympics gonna get pushed back to 2025 now for a 4 year consistency or are they gonna keep the same schedule?

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...ers-to-hold-talks-about-olympic-schedule.html

The Tokyo Olympics, which were postponed due to the global coronavirus pandemic, will be held from July 23 to Aug. 8 in 2021, an official with knowledge of the matter said Monday.

The new dates were agreed Monday between the International Olympic Committee and local organizers, according to the official.

A task force established by the Tokyo Games organizing committee charged with handling the delay opted for a similar time frame in 2021 in order to use existing plans for the games as much as possible.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Olympics: Securing use of games venues priority for organizers

Securing the use of all venues, including the athletes village, is the priority for organizers facing the mammoth task of postponing the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games by a year, the International Olympic Committee says

Kit McConnell, the International Olympic Committee's sports director, said Thursday he anticipates the marathon and race walking events will remain in Sapporo next year for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, postponed until 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Speaking on a conference call, McConnell said he was not thinking that either the Sapporo venue -- a late change to avoid the extreme heat and humidity of Tokyo's summer -- or the events' schedule would change.

All the Sapporo events were to take place over the Olympics' last four days, with the women's marathon on now on Aug. 7, and the men's race on the same day as the closing ceremony, now set for Aug. 8, 2021.