• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

how do you like the the new combat system

• i love it - better than the original

Votes: 726 45.0%
  • i like it - but prefer the old combat

Votes: 269 16.7%
  • i don't like it - bring the old combat back

Votes: 191 11.8%
  • it's great but it need's some improvements

Votes: 328 20.3%
  • i don't like it & didn't like the old combat

Votes: 34 2.1%
  • i like both of them

Votes: 291 18.0%

• Total voters

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game basically expects you to tank damage and be constantly mitigating it like an actual RPG. The dodge is just a courtesy with how useful it actually is.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
the action stuff is kinda bad tbh, it should have been straight turned based or straight action.

I thought it was fine. It's only when they start leaning into the tropes of what makes character action games frustrating, like not being able to do any sort of hitstun or hit stagger, that it becomes frustrating.

And that doesn't start happening until well after the halfway point.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
now that I think about it, I agree. I wish it played like KH

If you want KH, go play KH. This caters to a different appeal and I along with many enjoy it. A kind of action tactical game where decisions really matter. Can't simply mindless spam your potions midway as there are opportunity cost in using them. Along with the fact that actions cannot be taken willy nilly, having to consider that enemy can break/cancel your action, just like you can do to the enemies, similar to Grandia. Also range as well. In Grandia, your character's position in battlefield are also governed by range, and your attacks and spells have travel distance/aoe. These kind of parameters made the combat felt alive. I love that shit.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The game basically expects you to tank damage and be constantly mitigating it like an actual RPG. The dodge is just a courtesy with how useful it actually is.
While true, it flubs it's best tanking options though. By the end of the game, Tifa was my main tank with level 3 provoke and two level 3 hp ups which gave her over 8k hp...and enemies would just ignore her. The concept is there, the principle is there, the execution is BAD.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
I beat hard mode and Honestly doing that makes you realize that the team AI and enemy AI isn't very good at all. Team AI just stands around and blocks and goes for an attack every blue moon and enemy AI can be abused by switch as soon as it targets you. My favorite boss ended up being the only one you fight with 1 person in your party because it made me actually block and think about what i was doing.

I honestly never though i would wish to just have control of one party member.

Also the amount of stun need to be turned down

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of the stagger system. Doesn't feel like it works half the time.

Also party members are dumber then Donald not casting Cure.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Dodge works perfectly for some things.
Block works for others.
Counter works for others.

You just need to know which to use when, not expect that you can make all of them work for everything.
I absolutely agree. I think they could have done a better job of conveying this information in battle, though. That is my biggest complaint with a combat engine that I otherwise really like.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I have criticized the combat system plenty of times. You can find those posts in the OT along with loads of cities of the game. Right now, it's an 8/10 game that can't hit the 10 it could due to some glaring flaws.

Many of you are asking for a different game asking for things like Gambit systems and i-frames.

Honestly I'd settle for a KOTOR style action que. if I'm going to pause and switch party members regularly then at least let me be able to leave them alone for 20s

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, shure, im not arguing about absolutes. Im just not a fan of the narative that i see in this thread that people that dont like it just "don't get it". Maybe they get it, but just dont like it.

Is there potential for a great system based on this? could be. Probably.
I just forgott that we will se a iteration, since with FF its unusual, since they change them every game. But yeah, FF7Ris Part 1 (another thing im not a fan of)
As is, i would have prefered more action focus or more menu focus. What they do, i hope it feels more rounded, and less like such a halfstep from both directions.

And yeah, i expected that most people like the system. Its flashy, thats almost always enough for causals, and it makes enough right to get to core gamers as well (like in this poll).
It has never been said that people who don't like it just don't get it. Not once.

It has been said that people asking for better AI don't get that the entire point is to switch party members constantly and manage their actions, and that more Ai would work agains that design.

It has been said that people asking for I-frames in the dodge don't get that this is not like an action game where dodge can avoid all damage and even mitigate it, but a tool to use for specific situations while you NEED to block or counter others.

It has been said that people don't get that taking damage is by design, and part of the combat system is figuring out how to best spend your resources to deal with this.

Etc...

It is perfectly okay to not like this, which has also been said, from the start.

This system HAS been designed a specific way though, and if you learn how to work within it instead of getting frustrated it's not working how you expected it to you WILL be able to deal with a lot of frustrations... to the point you will overcome them (in a mechanical sense) often entirely.

Perfectly okay to hate this system, but there is also nothing wrong with suggesting some people could take the time to learn it better and improve their experience in game.

Shahed

Oct 27, 2017
UK, Newcastle
have to get 200% stagger damage to unlock that materia and you pretty much can't get that until you have a full 3-member party in the late game. Cloud sucks at increasing stagger %.

You just need Tifa for that. Double Unbridled Strength. Use Rise and Fall and Omnistrike. That's 200% there.

You use Tifa for the 300% stagger Trophy too. Just need her last weapon

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It depends on the person too. Tifa with Luck Up, ATB Stagger and Purple Pain has more ATB than I know what to do with half the time. Generating ATB as Aerith is awkwad though in comparison
I HAD to give Aerith first strike so I could at least attempt to get some doublecast setups going. But man, she just SITS THERE on AI. It made me wish I could switch her ATB settings to classic because at least then I could TIME the shit out.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
While true, it flubs it's best tanking options though. By the end of the game, Tifa was my main tank with level 3 provoke and two level 3 hp ups which gave her over 8k hp...and enemies would just ignore her. The concept is there, the principle is there, the execution is BAD.
Use Barret instead. He has an ability which transfers damage done to party member to him. Add provoke and use steel skin as well.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely agree. I think they could have done a better job of conveying this information in battle, though. That is my biggest complaint with a combat engine that I otherwise really like.
Absolutely. And this is another flaw of the game.

It does a pretty poor job teaching a player what its specific approach actually is. I don't even think some core things like the counter in Cloud's Punisher mode are even ever explained....

If you want KH, go play KH. This caters to a different appeal and I along with many enjoy it. A kind of action tactical game where decisions really matter. Can't simply mindless spam your potions midway as there are opportunity cost in using them. Along with the fact that actions cannot be taken willy nilly, having to consider that enemy can break/cancel your action, just like you can do to the enemies, similar to Grandia. Also range as well. In Grandia, your character's position in battlefield are also governed by range, and your attacks and spells have travel distance/aoe. These kind of parameters made the combat felt alive. I love that shit.
comes off like a game that doesn't play as good as an action game or a turn based game tbh. grandia was also much more manageable and less chaotic than this and still mainly turn based. If this played like grandia, it wouldn't be an issue. This is basically half assed: the game. Trying to appeal to everyone: the game.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
You just need Tifa for that. Double Unbridled Strength. Use Rise and Fall and Omnistrike. That's 200% there.

You use Tifa for the 300% stagger Trophy too. Just need her last weapon
Don't even need that. True Strike on a stunned enemy. 2 gets you to 290%. I got to something like 510% fighting the weird comic bandit guy in the combat simulator.

Use Barret instead. He has an ability which transfers damage done to party member to him. Add provoke and use steel skin as well.

I mean that's fine...if he's available.

I wanted Tifa in for stagger options as well, something Barrett has absolutely 0 of.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
comes off like a game that doesn't play as good as an action game or a turn based game tbh. grandia was also much more manageable and less chaotic than this and still mainly turn based. If this played like grandia, it wouldn't be an issue. This is basically half assed: the game. Trying to appeal to everyone: the game.

Poll results disagree with you, because apparently large majority of people did enjoy it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I mean...Grandia also has the single greatest turn based combat system in an RPG to date...more games would be well served if they just straight up copied Grandia's combat system.

Regardless, that's apples and oranges as there is no action element to Grandia's combat system, just a further element of range.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't be so much of a problem if healing wasn't so limited by the PATHETICALLY TINY MP pool each character has. They act like mako shards are supposed to be enough but they don't even restore enough for a casting of Cura.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
-Dodge is very useful for moving around quickly. Even getting hit by something that becomes a combo you can dodge out of it. Getting hit by Blizzard for example, dodge roll away after you get pegged at first to avoid damage. There are multitudes of attacks where this worked for me.
-Blocking would be over powered if it negated all damage., Half is great and there are ways to even increase that if you need more. with Weapon skills. You need to get out of parry stance, dodge roll out then swap back to parry when appropriate.
-You take damage, you are meant to. It's balanced around being able to heal often and frequently like many, many rpgs.
-Keeping track of bosses is simple, you can aggro them with one character, see they're attacking, and swap to another to flank with a clear visual of what they're attacking with. Leaving your AI partner you just swapped from to block while you're doing whatever else you may need to.
-Flying enemies are meant to be taken out a variety of ways. You cant expect to battle them exactly the same way you would just any other enemy. They're meant for you to adjust your combat tactics.
-ATB for items is balanced. If you could use them freely the game would be a cake walk. You can need to use them efficiently as you take attacks, which often mean just calling another character to use one who isnt the focus of an attack.
-Actions can get negated by a cut scene, this is the only point you've made that is an actual flaw of the game and is of no fault of the players.
-Stagger is useful, and when you can't stagger anymore then there are a variety of ways to kill enemies. It isn;t stagger or nothing.
-Boss fights are incredibly engaging. Changing what they do, multiple phases. If a fight is taking you too long you most likely aren;t using the right strategy.
-Healing spells in a rpg. Who would complain about that?

Seriously your post is telling me you haven't learned how to manage the combat effectively yet. How anyone can say Combat is the weakest part of the game is crazy to me.

- Dodge is pointless with Barret and cloud (only Tifas is decent because its faster) and Id probably fare better just standing still and eating the full hit then trying to even dodge since it still hurts me when I use it. so my choices are dodge and get hit or block which depending on the attack would still hurt me similarly or just outright kill me
- Blocking should give you a better advantage without the use of a materia since it's a universal action for every character. Blocking with Tifa or Aerith? yeath they're pretty much dead
- My brain says Taking damage = Doing something wrong. and when I see that happening every single second it means something feels off
- sure let me read the tiny ass red text while the boss is above my camera angle or below it or a hundred feet out of range so I can guess what this "obscure named move here" is
-The Enemy AI auto aggros any character switch and trying to charge moves for example Aeriths tempest is terrible since 70% of the time when you shoot it...the character will move out of range of the spell and you wasted your time doing it and now its tracking you aggresively, attacking you, or your now dead or running away.
- ATB for items is bullshit, and the items are support not actions so it makes no sense to have to use ATB for them
- stagger is just like every enemy weakness system in an RPG only on some enemies it just feels pointless since both health bars are above and beyond what your capable of and just drag the fights out further
- Boss fights are the weakest parts of the game since it exposes the faults of the combat system fully
- Healing pretty much constantly is a broken combat rhythym, it makes it feel like im spending 90% of my time in a battle just trying to stay alive

Shahed

Oct 27, 2017
UK, Newcastle
Don't even need that. True Strike on a stunned enemy. 2 gets you to 290%. I got to something like 510% fighting the weird comic bandit guy in the combat simulator.

I mean that's fine...if he's available.

I wanted Tifa in for stagger options as well, something Barrett has absolutely 0 of.
But you learn True Strike from said last weapon...

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Considering the hardest fight of the game can be obliterated with good ATB management and not even needing to spam heals, I'd say that's an achievement.

Super healing is totally not needed for 95% of boss battles. Like Magnify + Healing is absolute overkill. Better to pump up your DPS for more stunlock and staggering and phase pushing that just taking damage and healing it off.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I have criticized the combat system plenty of times. You can find those posts in the OT along with loads of cities of the game. Right now, it's an 8/10 game that can't hit the 10 it could due to some glaring flaws.

Many of you are asking for a different game asking for things like Gambit systems and i-frames.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, they should bring back gambits and merge it with an action based system.

I would fucking love that.

Game should have iFrames though.

But you learn True Strike from said last weapon...

Just sayin'. She can do it alone. It's not practical or useful at that point, but she CAN.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I like the combat....but holy shit some decisions need to be readdressed.

The constant aggro on whoever you control is freakin stupid
Party ai is dumb as a doorknob....can't even heal themselves
Dodge is...weak
Also....some of the spam attacks in this game is over the top. They basically decided to make it harder, by making it cheap.
Then there is the combat camera...it feels like I'm fighting with it half the time.

Honestly, combat has some high points, but the lows just make it hard for me to enjoy it as much as I'd want to.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have Steadfast Block mastered on all 3 party members now. The problem was before you can get it. Also it means taking up one precious materia slot on each person

It also doesn't help you only get one Magnify. Having it on Time, means it can't be on Healing or Barrier.

It depends on the person too. Tifa with Luck Up, ATB Stagger and Purple Pain has more ATB than I know what to do with half the time. Generating ATB as Aerith is awkwad though in comparison
See here:
There is literally only one thing you need to do when attacking normally as Aerith.

A charged Tempest. Charge it up, release, and as soon as you release, you switch character. Aerith is now back on AI, the Tempest is out, and once it blows, she gets 1.5 ATB bars and is still safe.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Aerial enemies need to fucking die. Whatever idiot decided to program the aerial combat like this must've shown up drunk every single day of his job. For example, fighting Helitroopers solo as Cloud is a fucking joke. Aero can't hit them because they never stop moving, and they always casually float out of the way of your shitty aerial auto-combo and then counter you.

It's embarrassing. Legitimately embarrassing for a game with production values this high.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Aerial enemies need to fucking die. Whatever idiot decided to program the aerial combat like this must've shown up drunk every single day of his job. For example, fighting Helitroopers solo as Cloud is a fucking joke. Aero can't hit them because they never stop moving, and they always casually float out of the way of your shitty aerial auto-combo and then counter you.

It's embarrassing. Legitimately embarrassing for a game with production values this high.

Cast Sleep or Stop on them.

Or just blast them with Fire. They're weak to both Fire and Wind.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
It's fantastic. Perfect blend of ATB turn based and real-time. Should be the new standard for the franchise.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah flying enemies were....definitely a black eye on the face of the combat system.

A lot of them felt like they were placed in spaces where you didn't have Barrett or Aerith so you'd intentionally get frustrated, and then would be relieved when they show up so you can deal with the flyers again.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Give Tifa and Cloud the easier to hit magic: fire and lightening.

Give Barret and Aerith who have ranged options and abilities Blizzard and Aero.

Now everyone can hit them easily.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I think I really want them to add some form of materia system you can set multiples of.

Like instead of changing them one by one, just have settings 1-10 per weapon or something so when I see some enemy on the horizon I can just change it to suit that encounter with less tedium.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017

Okay

Switch to Aerith

Charge tempest

Enemy auto targets aerith with projectile, magic, casts, or comes barreling toward her at full speed

Aerith stands there posing, takes full damage from the attacks or gets knocked out of her charge

tried to charge again

gets full charge, fires spell

Enemy moves out of range, spell is useless, cloud is dead and your next.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay

Switch to Aerith

Charge tempest

Enemy auto targets aerith with projectile, magic, casts, or comes barreling toward her at full speed

Aerith stands there posing, takes full damage from the attacks or gets knocked out of her charge

tried to charge again

gets full charge, fires spell

Enemy moves out of range, spell is useless, cloud is dead and your next.
I do this all the time, and rarely get hit...

Set up a character or two to do an attack and immediately switch, and you can cast tempest while their animation is keeping the target's attention.

They will remain focused on the first character after the animation for more than enough time to cast and switch back

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cast Sleep or Stop on them.

Or just blast them with Fire. They're weak to both Fire and Wind.

Tbf stop is quite late and you have to deal with a lot of flying enemies before even having that as an option. Would that even solve the issue with how annoying the weird auto jump is for melee characters anyhow?

Sleep isn't a bad idea. But wouldn't they just wake up and fuck off as soon as you hit then anyway. Huge mp drain in section with lots of the assholes as well.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
You think I"m going to use status effect materia with solo Cloud? Are you kidding me? He has no materia slots. I'm not wasting them on something that does nothing to bosses.

You need to be prepared for everything apparently. Cant rely on your own skills because they dont matter

"LOL You dont have Barrier? what a chump!"

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Tbf stop is quite late and you have to deal with a lot of flying enemies before even having that as an option. Would that even solve the issue with how annoying the weird auto jump is for melee characters anyhow?

But Sleep isn't. And you can chain Sleep them once they wake up with a few physical attacks.

Or just mage spec Cloud and Tifa and kill them in one shot with a spell

Oct 3, 2019
I fucking hate it but it's probably because I'm just bad. I feel like I'm constantly eating hits from offscreen with no warning. I hate using an an ability and immediately being interrupted. The camera sucks. I wish it would click for me cause I feel like there's something I'm missing.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
People expecting dodge to have i-frames is completely misunderstanding the game. Dodge roll has plenty of its uses. You are just not expected to completely rely on it as your defensive tool and keep rolling around for complete safety. I find dodge roll most useful in avoiding some magic spells like fire and blizzard (this one particularly because the first hit only stuns you a bit and you should roll away from safety from the actual icy blast), and incoming attacks with long winded animations, usually from bosses.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
It's good. The only real complaint I have is that the lock-on system sucks. Also whoever designed Tifa made her way more fun than all of the other characters.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
You think I"m going to use status effect materia with solo Cloud? Are you kidding me? He has no materia slots. I'm not wasting them on something that does nothing to bosses.
Status effects aren't useless, and you can fucking change materia. You can increase materia slots on weapons to boot. You can restart fights so you can change your loadout if you were unprepared. You know, like how in the original where you would sometimes not have the right setup?

Like for someone who obsessively complains about the game you haven't put in much effort in actually learning how to play it.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
This has always been the case even in the original FFVII. You used ATB (your turn) to use items. It's always been this way, this isn't even a change.

Thats a turn based game where that makes sense.

Also I've never played the OG FF7.

The only FF games I played were FF10/10-2 and World of FInal fantasy.

All very fun intuitive combat, with your actions making sense....since you had turns.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Sleep isn't a bad idea. But wouldn't they just wake up and fuck off as soon as you hit then anyway. Huge mp drain in section with lots of the assholes as well.
You give melee characters fire and lightening. That is an easy way to hit flying enemies.