• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Agreed.

Luke being shook enough at a moment's notice to pull his lightsaber and almost stab Han and Leia's kid, his nephew and student, in his sleep after we've all seen the lengths he went to first try to bring Vader, the man who caused countless hurt and deaths, back to the light side, is a bit unbelievable for many old SW fans.

It's ok that others think his actions during TLJ are justified. But it's also ok that some of us still feel Luke wouldn't react that way.
Luke Skywalker repeatedly tried to kill his father.

I think what it really comes down to is that some people were expecting a deified version of Luke Skywalker for the sequel trilogy. That after the character's initial struggle in the OT, they would have overcome their flaws completely and become a paragon type figure.

Instead, the ST fully rejected that entirely. Not only keeping Luke's flaws and inner conflicts, but pushing them to the furthest possible extreme. Resulting in probably the most challenging story you could ever really tell with the character.

But it is still Luke's flaws. Luke's inner conflicts. While I can understand those who felt TLJ went too far, I think it's very hard to really argue it isn't ultimately in character. Not without ignoring large chunks of Luke's character in the OT.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. But I think if you compare Liara with the other squadmates from ME1 you can notice a big difference. Wrex becoming more involved with the Krogans make sense, Garrus becoming a sort of vigilante makes sense, Tali becoming more involved with the Quarians (and the Geth) make sense. No one would have guessed Liara would have gone from a naive archeologist to a hardened information broker. Simply being on the Normandy for a while for don't come close to justify as I see it.

And about the Asari, I can see where your comment is coming from. I might be mistaken but as I remember it an Asari life is divided in three stages of roughly 300 years each. In the first they are very exploratory and adventurous. They are more family oriented in the second stage and in the third they are matriarchs. I always got the feeling change in an Asari life is a slow process (hence the "stable" in my previous post), which is the opposite of the Salarians. Which is one more reason why I think Liara development is in fact not a development, but a rupture.
Looking back I'm probably viewing it from the perspective of having played the Shadow Broker dlc + romancing her where it all ties together better. I forgot that there's not a lot of context in the original base game. I know people who don't romance her have also felt like the game kind of 'forces' Liara on their Shepard at times and I've had to look at interactions with her differently because of that. I romance her every time so her loyalty to Shepard made sense in a way but I would imagine some of her actions come off as obsessive to a player who romanced someone else.

Re: Asari: I always thought the Asari stages of aging were weird even as a teenager but I forgot how each stage of their life is like...literal roles society see women as only belonging in lmao. Going back to Mass Effect via the remasters is going to be interesting.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Rey in TROS is a completely different character who wnt from being able to resist the darkside consistently to being constantly prone to it in order to justify the worst plot twist of the film. Also, Finn, also Poe. The film starts by completely ignoring the new equilibriums established at the end of the last film.
Not really. Rey almost gives into the darkside multiple times in Episode 8. The difference is Episode 9 makes it less subtle.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have some reservations about Sweet Dee. The observation that she was written differently in S1 is a perfect and correct one, and there was indeed changes to how the character was written in S2. But even ignoring the fact that the first season of Sunny is experimental in many ways (there are many plot points that are dropped and/or retconned) I'd argue Dee was already quite unhinged in the first season.

Sure there were moments you could totally see that voice of reason part that she had to play, but you could also see the "real" Dee a lot. Her mortal disgust of old people for example, her drunkness, the intervention she and Dennis do on Charlie... I mean, in the Gun Fever episode she has a more moderate attitude about gun control and in the end of the episode is screaming for Dennis to shoot Charlie in the face.

I see it more as "ironing out the creases" than a rewriting.
That's fair. I am fine with calling it a "figuring out the character" as opposed to a full on rewrite. I mean, she didn't start as Lisa Simpson then become Homer or anything.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017

Tim Whatley in Seinfeld was basically a new character in nearly every one of his appearances, but that was kinda his character gimmick.

Devil May Cry the thread

Dante (DMC1): Bad ass pre-uncle
Dante (DMC2): Anti-Social soulless expression extraordinaire
Dante (DMC3): Punk rock band member
2 aside, to me 1 + 3-5 are pretty much in line, especially since he goes from 19 to 40 with things happening.
There are changes of course, but not that big.
I'd argue, what they did around Vergil from 3 to 5 with new background and basically dirtying him is the bigger change. But that's up for debate itself, since it depends on personal viewpoints.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They completely rewrote Tad Mulholland in Kipo season 2, which is weird when you consider that whole series was written and done before it even premiered it's first episode on Netflix.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah. I forgot about this series and hearing about that a few times. I never manged to finish it. It got to a point where it felt like it was dragging on in what I believe was the last arc. Started and ditched the sequel series as well.

yeah, the magical world arc was insanely long and had like a dozen sub arcs.

what followed was very rushed and you ended up with several cut arcs that were to follow as the author was trying to beat the implement of some new law that was anti ettchi/lolicon/etc.

Result was you had a sudden time skip and then that was it, no real ending. We didn't get a canon ending until several years later when UQ holder had it as a recap of what happened in the "asuna returns" timeline that's canon to negima, rather then the "asuna sleeps" timeline that UQ holder is based off.

Jan 4, 2018
Liara in Mass Effect. Troy in Community's pilot is a jock asshole then they reel it back and make him a loveable idiot

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Michael Mancini from Melrose Place, he started out as a nice guy but was probably a bit boring so towards the end of the first season he had an affair, got a divorce and became a douchebag.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, the magical world arc was insanely long and had like a dozen sub arcs.

what followed was very rushed and you ended up with several cut arcs that were to follow as the author was trying to beat the implement of some new law that was anti ettchi/lolicon/etc.

Result was you had a sudden time skip and then that was it, no real ending. We didn't get a canon ending until several years later when UQ holder had it as a recap of what happened in the "asuna returns" timeline that's canon to negima, rather then the "asuna sleeps" timeline that UQ holder is based off.
Sounds like a pretty messy ending. They didn't really ever specify the person who he ended up with did they? I think his granddaughter was there at some point near the start but never specified who her ancestor was aside from Negi. Wait, so is UQ holder sort of like a continuation in a different timeline?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Can u believe that there's a timeline where this dude would've been the answer because he was originally supposed to be replace the main actor:
That-70s-Show-Controversy-Donna-and-Josh-Meyers-Randy.jpg

"Who do we get to recast this actor who's is perfect as this incredibly wimpy nerdy character who uses sarcasm to make up for his lake of typical toxic masculinity?"

"Uh, a perfect human being who gives off the complete opposite energy?"

Not really. Rey almost gives into the darkside multiple times in Episode 8. The difference is Episode 9 makes it less subtle.
She doesn't give in at all, that's the red herring is that she gets exposed to it but it has nothing to offer her. She's the polar opposite of Luke in that regard.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I think Samantha Carter in Stargate SG-1 becomes a different character halfway through Season 1 if I recall. The way her character started out was annoying but then that shifted for the better.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Strictly speaking these are different people (because they're from completely different historical eras!), but they're intended to be the same characters, if that makes sense.

In "The Black Adder":

wIMD1zr.png

Prince Edmund is largely an easily-manipulated fool.

goSuoqm.png

Baldrick, his squire, is an intelligent schemer

In "Blackadder II", "Blackadder The Third" and "Blackadder Goes Forth" (along with sundry one-offs):

grY2jHk.png

qREuGDE.png

NbjeUpW.png

Lord Blackadder/ Mr E. Blackadder, Butler to the Prince Regent / Captain Blackadder is an intelligent schemer.

vtjouwg.png

prfNeul.png

opoikzb.png

Baldrick / Baldrick / Private Baldrick is an easily-manipulated fool.

After the first series, the characters changed personalities. Their stations were always the same relative to one another, Edmund the superior, Baldrick the inferior, but the personalities completely flipped. Baldrick's trademarked "cunning plans" were actually reasonably effective in The Black Adder, but got increasingly ill-judged in later series.

Not unrelatedly, the series really hit the ground running from the second series onwards, with the first series seeming like a weird outlier. Interestingly the pilot, however, has smart Edmund / foolish Baldrick as we are used to from the later series - they got it right the very first time!

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017

I think what it really comes down to is that some people were expecting a deified version of Luke Skywalker for the sequel trilogy. That after the character's initial struggle in the OT, they would have overcome their flaws completely and become a paragon type figure.

Instead, the ST fully rejected that entirely. Not only keeping Luke's flaws and inner conflicts, but pushing them to the furthest possible extreme. Resulting in probably the most challenging story you could ever really tell with the character.

But it is still Luke's flaws. Luke's inner conflicts. While I can understand those who felt TLJ went too far, I think it's very hard to really argue it isn't ultimately in character. Not without ignoring large chunks of Luke's character in the OT.
Once Luke found out Vader was his dad, he tried to kill him repeatedly? We watched very different movies then. Because I remember him surrendering himself, repeatedly trying NOT to fight him even in the throne room, only snapping when his sister was mentioned, and still threw his own lightsaber to the side.

edit: He kept saying felt the good within him. Luke crazy, but he was right in the end.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
JoJo part 3, Avdol starts as a stoic badass. The comes back as a goofy catchphrase guy. Then hes just there to react to the shit everyone else does for the rest of the show.
TO be fair ,the manga does point that out so its canon in the story that he becomes a bit more lighthearted

As for my example ,I always found it wierd how Blu goes from being nice in the FOsters home pilot to being such a jerk the rest of the series

ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Pete Campbell in Mad Men.

There was a lot of praise of how organic his growth was during the show's run but I thought it was quite a sudden shift from his early scumbag self.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017

You're confusing Luke Skywalker with Jin from the Tekken series.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Miguel O'Hara in the first volume of Spider-Man 2099.

At the end of the series when it was cancelled, a different writer took over and obviously could not be bothered to read a single damned word of what came before because instead of writing Miguel in character he wrote Miguel as Peter Parker. And believe me, Miguel is not Peter Parker, in costume or out. Even my stupid preteen self could tell the difference.

Once Luke found out Vader was his dad, he tried to kill him repeatedly? We watched very different movies then. Because I remember him surrendering himself, repeatedly trying NOT to fight him even in the throne room, only snapping when his sister was mentioned, and still threw his own lightsaber to the side.

edit: He kept saying felt the good within him. Luke crazy, but he was right in the end.

Luke is impulsive, especially when it comes to his loved ones.

In RotJ, at the mere mention of his sister, he goes absolutely nuts and wrecks Vader's shit before coming to his senses and stopping himself from killing him.

In TLJ, caught up in a vision of a future in which Kylo Ren kills all the loved ones, Luke pulls out his lightsaber before coming to his senses and stopping himself from killing him.

Seems pretty consistent to me.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a pretty messy ending. They didn't really ever specify the person who he ended up with did they? I think his granddaughter was there at some point near the start but never specified who her ancestor was aside from Negi. Wait, so is UQ holder sort of like a continuation in a different timeline?

yes, UQ holder states whom Negi finally ended up with who was pretty obvious from Negima's final few Chapters.

UQ holder is a direct sequel to one of the timelines established in Negima, that is the one where Asuna went to sleep for like 100 years and thus wasn't available for the fight against the mage of the beginning.

Chao had sent her back in time to when she went to sleep, allowing Asuna to effect the final battle in a new timeline. That's the one that's canon for negima.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
yes, UQ holder states whom Negi finally ended up with who was pretty obvious from Negima's final few Chapters.

UQ holder is a direct sequel to one of the timelines established in Negima, that is the one where Asuna went to sleep for like 100 years and thus wasn't available for the fight against the mage of the beginning.

Chao had sent her back in time to when she went to sleep, allowing Asuna to effect the final battle in a new timeline. That's the one that's canon for negima.
Awesome! Thanks for the information

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020

In between snapping at the mention of his sister and throwing away his weapon, Luke tries to kill his father multiple times.

Whereas in the sequel trilogy Luke has a terrible thought for about two seconds, stops himself and feels ashamed.

So if anything he mellowed with age, lol.

In RotJ, at the mere mention of his sister, he goes absolutely nuts and wrecks Vader's shit before coming to his senses and stopping himself from killing him.

In TLJ, caught up in a vision of a future in which Kylo Ren kills all the loved ones, Luke pulls out his lightsaber before coming to his senses and stopping himself from killing him.

Yeah, it's a perfectly natural throughline.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
The vampire Lestat between the first and second books. Anne Rice retconned the shit out of him to make him a protagonist. It almost works, though it's easy enough to just push past it anyway.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Strictly speaking these are different people (because they're from completely different historical eras!), but they're intended to be the same characters, if that makes sense.

In "The Black Adder":

wIMD1zr.png

Prince Edmund is largely an easily-manipulated fool.

goSuoqm.png

Baldrick, his squire, is an intelligent schemer

In "Blackadder II", "Blackadder The Third" and "Blackadder Goes Forth" (along with sundry one-offs):

grY2jHk.png

qREuGDE.png

NbjeUpW.png

Lord Blackadder/ Mr E. Blackadder, Butler to the Prince Regent / Captain Blackadder is an intelligent schemer.

vtjouwg.png

prfNeul.png

opoikzb.png

Baldrick / Baldrick / Private Baldrick is an easily-manipulated fool.

After the first series, the characters changed personalities. Their stations were always the same relative to one another, Edmund the superior, Baldrick the inferior, but the personalities completely flipped. Baldrick's trademarked "cunning plans" were actually reasonably effective in The Black Adder, but got increasingly ill-judged in later series.

Not unrelatedly, the series really hit the ground running from the second series onwards, with the first series seeming like a weird outlier. Interestingly the pilot, however, has smart Edmund / foolish Baldrick as we are used to from the later series - they got it right the very first time!

If you watch the unaired pilot, blackadder's personality is in line with the rest of the series. He is a clever antihero. I assume they changed it because they were afraid Mr. Bean couldn't be taken too seriously.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
capture.pngcc1_.png

Cordelia from Angel, even though they tried to make sense of the personality change, it still doesn't make sense, but we all know why now she had been written off so poorly like that.

Obligatory, fuck Joss Whedon that piece of shit of a human being.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Ratchet from Ratchet and Clank 1 is a completely different character from how he is in the series afterward. In 1 he's a kind of rough-around-the-edges mechanic, has no interest in being a hero or saving the galaxy, and has a lot of snark and a short temper. In the remake he's been fully retconned and is an almost literal boy scout.

I really liked the buddy cop dynamic he had with Clank in 1 but it took a long time for him to become more likable, his resentment of Clank over the Captain Qwark thing certainly took too long but I think it's a bit of a shame they dropped that personality flaws and all for the rest of the series. He's already much different as a person by 2.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
capture.pngcc1_.png

Cordelia from Angel, even though they tried to make sense of the personality change, it still doesn't make sense, but we all know why now she had been written off so poorly like that.

Obligatory, fuck Joss Whedon that piece of shit of a human being.
Definitely Cordelia on Angel season 4.

Also Lindsey Graham after Trump became president lol

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017

What isn't consistent is the circumstances?

In one instance, Luke is surrounded by the two biggest evils of that story and is actively being lured to the dark side. In the other instance, dude is sleeping and had a bad dream.

In between snapping at the mention of his sister and throwing away his weapon, Luke tries to kill his father multiple times.
Ehhhh, that sounds kind of iffy right there. I guess you can count each strike in that short fight as a murder attempt. But usually in a fight, a person doesn't count each punch in a fight as getting beat up multiple times. You'd say they just got beat up. But whatever. We agree to disagree :)

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Frasier Crane began in Cheers as a straight man... at the end of Frasier, almost 20 years later, was basically a clown.

Jan 3, 2018
Luke Skywalker repeatedly tried to kill his father

1. No he didn't. One single time is being generous.
2. Vader is the second in command in an evil fascist regime.
3. Vader was only his "father" biologically. He didn't raise Luke and the 2 have little to no connection, unlike Ben who Luke had presumably watch grow up from a baby.
4. Vader was armed. Ben was sleeping.

Can people stop equating Vader and Ben now? I'll wager no one making this argument actually has a nephew.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Catherine Halsey in the Halo books written by Eric Nylund compared to those by Karen Traviss.

Dr. Halsey started as a complex tormented genius who shared an authentic motherly relationship with the soldiers she caused to be kidnapped and brutally conditioned as children. She was an interesting figure: a gifted scientist who juxtaposed extreme ambition and cruel and unethical actions with unsparing self-awareness and a powerful current of sympathy for her own human products. She saved humanity by accident, at a terrible cost, and then was driven by fierce loyalty and a crisis of conscience to preserve the lives of her remaining "children."

Then, in the space of one book, Traviss turned Dr. Halsey into a cold, twisted, delusional war criminal who was compared by name to Josef Mengele, relentlessly punished and degraded, and in effect reduced to all of the ugliest aspects of her character. Readers were subjected to extreme tonal whiplash, as a character who used to have a complicated inner life -- serving as a window into the themes and conflicts that make the extended Halo universe so rich -- was almost literally turned into a punching bag over a series of rancorous chapters.

I have heard the explanation that Traviss's books merely show Dr. Halsey from the outside POV of people who have a poor view of her. But the books make a strong point of scapegoating her for sins shared by all of her enablers, and the entire Office of Naval Intelligence, which was responsible for countless other dark operations that Dr. Halsey had little to do with. It seems inconsistent to write her in this way, when some of her contemporaries are written with a much warmer tone, even when they've built careers out of doing monstrous things with less compelling justifications than Dr. Halsey had.

Fortunately Dr. Halsey's characterization was very slightly improved in Halo 5. I wonder if that carried through in the newer books. I hope it does in Halo Infinite.

Karen Traviss wrote Halo books? She wrote some Gears of War ones too. It's too bad the games ignore her books which were marketed as bridging the games.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Guy-Gardner-Social-Worker-Baseball-Construct.jpg

Guy Gardner was the most confusing for me. I always knew him as this arrogant jerk character, but then I found this older Green Lantern comic where he was like a nice polite social worker or something. Super confusing.

I vaguely recall his personality change being due to brain damage or something like that, lol

Last edited:

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Daniel Craig Bond feels like a different franchise almost after what came before. Not a bad move to reinvigorate it and change up the tone, but with a long series that has a history of changing lead actors it does stand out as quite different.

I feel he is perhaps not horny or wisecracking enough to feel like the same Bond we'd known.