• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
His statement needs to be put on the test.

Yet, as one that consider him an a-hole and i am against his dickish push on timed exclusives, i am glad he seems to be not as big of an a-hole than the ones that make decisions for Blizzard.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
So I may be missing something, but neither Sweeney nor any notable Fortnite player has actually made any statement in support of Hong Kong, right? I feel like we're jumping the gun lionizing him before he's actually done anything.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
So this reconfirms that the whole Tencent scare against Epic in Steam / Epic discussions here are baseless. Well until he has to bend the knee to China like Blizzard has.

Jun 25, 2019
Tim is a known bullshitter. When Tencent owns 40% of Epic, a much larger percentage than actibliz, I highly doubt something like this won't have the same repercussions.
Don't ever trust Sweeney on anything.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
At face value, this is good karma for Tim, however saying something is one thing, acting on it is another. Keep a tab on his reaction when/if Tencent pulls out. Even if he's majority shareholder at 41%+, Tencent still owns a massive chunk that - when removed from the picture - would cause some serious financial distress

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Great thing for him to say but backing up this claim in the event something happens is a different matter. I'm skeptical.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

Has everything to do with how Epic operates.

Epic/Tim Sweeney are virtue signaling. Plenty of people already hate Epic (for various reasons), and they're now trying to do everything possible to get free positive attention. At some point they'll turn the whole situation into a monetary gain somehow.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Someone should make a comprehensive "Tim Sweeney's lies" post or thread...

Every time he's brought up a bunch of accusations are thrown around and they are never linked; half the time they sound really vague and not like lies either. I've tried googling most of the accusations and most of the results are Tim Sweeney's tweets discussing whatever controversy is going on, and not proof of any lies.

Honestly genuinely curious because I don't know shit about the guy other than his previous unrelenting hatred towards Microsoft/UWP and whatnot.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Epic/Tim Sweeney are virtue signaling. Plenty of people already hate Epic (for various reasons), and they're now trying to do everything possible to get free positive attention. At some point they'll turn the whole situation into a monetary gain somehow.

Sounds like you're just grasping at straws to somehow turn this into another stupid rant against Epic becaus eof EGS, despite not being the point of the thread at all.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Someone should make a comprehensive "Tim Sweeney's lies" post or thread...

Every time he's brought up a bunch of accusations are thrown around and they are never linked; half the time they sound really vague and not like lies either. I've tried googling most of the accusations and most of the results are Tim Sweeney's tweets discussing whatever controversy is going on, and not proof of any lies.

Honestly genuinely curious because I don't know shit about the guy other than his previous unrelenting hatred towards Microsoft/UWP and whatnot.

Tim does have one of the most disingenuous Twitter accounts I've seen for a head of a game company, but his language in these messages is pretty cut and dry. Yeah, he's probably just trying to cash in on some good publicity with the community for once, but ulterior motives can play second fiddle to the importance of standing for a cause in times like these. Of course, it's a certainty that he's going to have to put this all in to practice soon as people start getting more vocal on streams.

Mr_DyZ

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Sounds like you're just grasping at straws to somehow turn this into another stupid rant against Epic becaus eof EGS, despite not being the point of the thread at all.

I actually have no qualms with the EGS.

My point is that Epic is virtue signaling, and at the end of the day, they'll make it all about them. Not sure how the comment doesn't relate to the topic at all....Like Tim Sweeney coming out and say all of this shouldn't be surprising.

You sound like someone looking to bash people for not being "pro" Epic games. My issues with Epic have virtually nothing to do with their store or how they handle anything to that nature lol.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I actually have no qualms with the EGS.

My point is that Epic is virtue signaling, and at the end of the day, they'll make it all about them. Not sure how the comment doesn't relate to the topic at all....

You sound like someone looking to bash people for not being "pro" Epic games. My issues with Epic have virtually nothing to do with their store or how they handle anything to that nature lol.

Answering straight forward questions is virtue signaling now? Talk about a post in bad faith.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's a great statement. Time will tell if he backs it up.

Now, I wonder what EA would do?

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
So it's Epic going to allow Right Wing stances being openly talked in Fortnite from now on? I mean as a company not taking stances at all can have even worse effects (see: Valve)

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Great stuff to see him on the right side of this issue. I mean it should be an easy side to choose but it is seemingly very hard for Blizzard. This is a good thing for him to signal and I expect to see other industry people mimic this... I hope.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At face value, this is good karma for Tim, however saying something is one thing, acting on it is another. Keep a tab on his reaction when/if Tencent pulls out. Even if he's majority shareholder at 41%+, Tencent still owns a massive chunk that - when removed from the picture - would cause some serious financial distress
Tencent is there to help build inroads into the Chinese market. It hasn't really bore fruit. If Tencent were to sell the share back to Tim, he might even prefer that.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I'm proud of myself for predicting the exact path I assumed this thread would go.

But not that proud.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Sweeny stands his ground on this in the face of Tencent adversity then he'll have improved his image considerably in my eyes. I'm still no fan of EGS or his methods for propping the EGS up, but the gaming industry could use a lot more of this sort of candid rejection of China's social influence right now, and good on him if he helps to inspire that.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Someone asked him a question and he answered. Follow up questions came, demanding he make explicit commitments and he made them.

WTF is 'virtue signaling' about this?

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
The promise is good, but curious to see if he'll truly uphold what he wrote when a similar situation arises.

Also would be nice to see a corporation not immediately folding to the will of the Chinese government.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
More power to Sweeney and shame on you if you somehow turn his perfectly fine stance on this matter into a negative narrative. I wish other companies would take a stance like him in this time of need.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
If you don't like Tim Sweeney and the way he's behaved in the past, fair enough. But calling this "virtue signaling" is comical. He was asked the question, he gave an unequivocal answer.

It's clear at this point that Tencent's stake in Epic doesn't give them much power at all or they would have pushed back against his previous public statements about them. My guess is that there's some kind of contractual remedy in place if they're obligated to sever ties-- given the profit Epic is still generating from Fortnite new investors to assume their stake would be easy to find.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's a pretty cool thing to say. We'll see if he stands behind that if the situation ever comes up.

Also inb4 people start whining about exclusives

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Considering all the DOTA2 drama this year regarding China, don't expect Valve to say anything.

GabeN wants that sweet Chinese money.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Considering all the DOTA2 drama this year regarding China, don't expect Valve to say anything.

GabeN wants that sweet Chinese money.
I wondered if Valve, EA, Ubisoft, etc. would bow out like Blizzard or support Hong Kong. Do Steam need China's support like Blizzard? People use unofficial Steam in China for a long time, they have the freedom to support HK right? Also for Ubi and EA, what major games do they have in China, and are their stores supported there?

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Some people don't seem to understand how ownership stakes work, Tencent is an investor and already provided capital to Epic when they paid for their shares. They're not just randomly giving Epic money outside of possible loans. In fact Tencent is more likely receiving dividends instead. The threat is not minority ownership, the threat is losing access to the Chinese market. Tencent can exit their stake but that doesn't really hurt Epic since they would probably even get a valuation boost by whatever investor wants to buy Tencent out.

ry-dog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think tencent was ever the issue, it was Blizzard's presence in the Chinese market

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I wondered if Valve, EA, Ubisoft, etc. would bow out like Blizzard or support Hong Kong. Do Steam need China's support like Blizzard? People use unofficial Steam in China for a long time, they have the freedom to support HK right? Also for Ubi and EA, what major games do they have in China, and are their stores supported there?
Valve just announced official plans to enter the Chinese market with Steam a few months ago.

Mr_DyZ

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
How is it? People rightfully contacted Epic to see what was their stance on the subject because they're owned at 40% by a pro-Chinese gouvernment company. They were asked to provide this answer. You're just looking for excuses.

OK.

Is this supposed to actually prove anything?

What? Don't reply to me if you don't want an answer? I'm not trying to prove anything. It's an opinion...

Someone asked him a question and he answered. Follow up questions came, demanding he make explicit commitments and he made them.

WTF is 'virtue signaling' about this?

Right place, right time... teehee