• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I have a general question: why is it that every single EGS adjacent topic, there's always the same arguments?

"Competition is good because competition is good"
"Features don't matter to me therefore it doesn't matter to anyone"
"A 12% cut totally isn't trickle down economics and they totally aren't pushing off fees to users"
"Well why don't we compare this product to a product from 15 years ago"

They're always the same. These have been asked and answered.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So Tim Sweeney has just decided to go full Elon Musk on twitter? Spewing out nonsense that they will not honour, without any regard for the consequences of what he says?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe your expectations are a little unrealistic ? I'm sure they could have , but it would have taken a lot more time .

Why not release and grow , while still making money.

Cloud saves were a thing on Steam in 2009.
10 fuckin years ago.
How is that unrealistic to expect a service to launch with them ?
No search bar, no cart, no wishlist. It's barebone af. It's competiting with Pre-2009 Steam right now.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Because it is not my responsability as a consumer to give companies a pass for offering a shit product.
Well then you do have the choice to not use it . I wouldn't pass on my hobby because the feature set isn't as good as I would want .

At least most of the games are just timed exclusive , so not a huge deal for you anyway . Just a little longer of a wait.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I have a general question: why is it that every single EGS adjacent topic, there's always the same arguments?

"A 12% cut totally isn't trickle down economics and they totally aren't pushing off fees to users"

It''s the internet - people ignore arguments they don't like in favour of pushing their own arguments, repeatedly, until everyone else leaves the room. It's like being stuck in a room with a really drunk person who thinks they know everything, and won't let anyone else speak. :/

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I think Epic will eventually bully Steam into a higher cut . That would be good. Maybe not to match EGS , but a higher cut than what they offer now.

Epic can keep on buying games up. No matter what Steam fans , or non fans of EGS say now...if all the big new games are only on EGS what are you going to do ?

Let your hate for a company beat out your love for gaming ? I'd pick gaming.

It's not about hate for a company. It's about losing enthusiasm for said games, when you're being pushed to a worse alternative, rather then being provided options that you're comfortable with.

And we will always have options, meaning that any game that you lose enthusiasm for, will just be put lower on the priority list.

EGS will not have a monopoly, that's just nonsense.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Cloud saves were a thing on Steam in 2009.
10 fuckin years ago.
How is that unrealistic to expect a service to launch with them ?
No search bar, no cart, no wishlist. It's barebone af. It's competiting with Pre-2009 Steam right now.
I'm not saying it shouldn't have some features. I'm saying its unrealistic to expect them to match Steam from the go .

Not having a search bar or a cart seems like a strange reason to not want to play video games. That's just , my opinion tho .

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Epic forget that most of their games are on Steam. More than on their own store.

Also should valve do that they'd be showed for abusing dominant market position. If not by Epic, by someone else.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest here. 99% of the people complaining about the 30% cut have absolutely no idea what kind of tools and features Steamworks offers to developers.

Boy aint that the fucking truth. Let me tell you, things like SDL 2.0 have made my life immeasurably better. And I use things like RenderDoc and VOGL every goddamn day.

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's objective benefits to having a competitor in the market that is trying to increase dev cut, curb unnecessary features, and curate a storefront. You do not need to hate these ideas, simply because you do not like EGS.

Explain the "objective" benefits to me as a user from having fewer features and a reduced selection. Steam already had fewer features and reduced selection via curation in the past, and it was an objectively worse experience than now. Trying to frame this as an irrational dislike of EGS is hilarious - they are disliked because their features are worse than the competition (oh wait, those are "unnecessary features" that should be "curbed", lol) and their policies of buying away content is bad for the end user. Opposing this is perfectly rational because PC users have experienced various flavours of this bullshit in the past, and it sucked.

Secondly, there are already competitors in the market that provide these functions. So EGS serves little purpose at all other than an additional gatekeeper that reduces availability and price competition. Their most useful "contribution" to the platform seems to be the entertainment value of a company, that moaned about the PC market as full of pirates throughout the 00's, making futile attempts at gauntlet-throwing via Twitter at one of the companies that stayed and grew the platform.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it shouldn't have some features. I'm saying its unrealistic to expect them to match Steam from the go .

Not having a search bar or a cart seems like a strange reason to not want to play video games. That's just , my opinion tho .

Your opinion is disingenuous. I told you about cloud saves. You took the stuff I told you to highlight how far behind it is.

Dont you think there's a wide spectrum between "not matching steam" and "so barebone it doesn't even have 10 years old stuff" ?

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had any fees from egs , but I guess it's different in other places .

I wouldn't expect a relatively new store to be able to match steam , which has been around for how long ? I'm sure steam didn't start with the features it has now ?
Is there a "stupid questions to repeatedly ask in every Epic thread" checklist? Are you going through it item by item? Sure feels like it. Talk about icons next, pls, I need to fill my bingo card.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
It's not about hate for a company. It's about losing enthusiasm for said games, when you're being pushed to a worse alternative, rather then being provided options that you're comfortable with.

And we will always have options, meaning that any game that you lose enthusiasm for, will just be put lower on the priority list.

EGS will not have a monopoly, that's just nonsense.
Yeah , I hear you and understand that but would i wouldn't lose ALL enthusiasm because my options weren't as comfortable .

Not saying you shouldn't, but that doesn't make sense to me .

Monopoly no , more and more and more games egs exclusive? That's gonna happen for sure.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Well when we are looking at games that are store specific, sure . I'm sure ubi wants to make money , as much as they can .

Even without egs , these companies with their own stores would probably start keeping their games on their stores

Try to make some sense. I took Anno and The Division 2. Games that, before their release and EGS deal were sold on 10 different stores at different prices. It's like you dont even read.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This push for their fairytales is just as aggressive as their moneybags horseshit. It's not going to let up for awhile so try to be cool.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if Tim is just mad that Gabe Newell ignored him at an E3 or something.

Everything about the Epic Game Store is actually a desperate cry for attention.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Not for developers who are strong in developing countries (SNK being one) where the local payment service transaction fees would be passed onto the consumer, which would drive away purchases.

If Epic ends up catching up on features and local payment services that will be a different story, but that is a big if IMO.
Let's be honest here. 99% of the people complaining about the 30% cut have absolutely no idea what kind of tools and features Steamworks offers to developers.

Does the EGS even have a robust multiplayer matchmaking API at this point? I was told that it did not yet, but I am no longer a bizdev guy so I don't take part in those conversations really anymore.

At GDC they did announce Epic Online Services

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/epic-s-free-online-services-launch-for-all-game-developers

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems these are the "Major strings"

This is basically already a thing with Steam. Tim clearly has no idea what the fuck he's talking about at this point.

Boy aint that the fucking truth. Let me tell you, things like SDL 2.0 have made my life immeasurably better. And I use things like RenderDoc and VOGL every goddamn day.
Seriously. The sheer amount of stuff Valve does for the PC space and developers is absurd, even without providing a freely available game engine.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

The answer is, I feel, pretty simple: There is no argument in favor of the Epic Games Store for the customers. There are literally zero reasons for the customer to support the EGS. Literally zero. Not only do the customers get absolutely nothing out of this situation, they also lose a lot of buying options, they pay higher prices and some of them simply get locked entirely out of any legal purchasing options.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

I have been joking for a while that I would love to put these people in an escape room where the only way to get out is by using Sony TPRNet.
Let's see them complain about Steam's 30% cut after that.

That's definitely good news! Looks like they will at least be caught up on matchmaking/online features by the end of the year at least.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people mad at Epic instead of Steam and their unsustainable monopoly pricing of 30%? I thought Era was pro-developers?

If it's sustainable in the console and mobile space is sustainable everywhere. What's not sustainable is 12% for a company that doesn't crunch their devs for months to have a 1Billion money making cow.

The reason Tim is making this bet is because he knows that Valve can't afford that cut.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden

I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe I need my tinfoil hat, but I'm not sure facts matter here anymore. Regardless of what anyone says, the same fake arguments are constantly being repeated, ie monopoly, what you wrote above, someone in the thread suggested Steam cards was a money laundering scheme, etc. Facts are ignored, definitions changed on a whim.

Where is this coming from? What keeps it going? And why are these people allowed a voice here?

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't a 12% stardard lead to less competition and more to a monopoly? No one has the financial backing to support that apart from the giant companies, surely that would lead to the extintion of all small and medium sized stores? Or am I seeing things wrong? The costumer would suffer with only 1 or 2 options?

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't a 12% stardard lead to less competition and more to a monopoly? No one has the financial backing to support that apart from the giant companies, surely that would lead to the extintion of all small and medium sized stores? Or am I seeing things wrong? The costumer would suffer with only 1 or 2 options?
Shhhh, that's not the party line, comrade.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Sweeney sounds like a hostage taker lol
Also he's lying and would still court exclusives if Valve dropped their cut
Tim Sweeney next week:

"Valve if you don't lower your cut. I'm going to have to keep buying exclusives.
...Also this box full of cute and fluffy kittens is going to be set on fire."

Actually no, it's more like...
"Valve if you don't lower your cut, I'm going to stick my foot in my mouth."

And it just keeps happening over and over again.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Painting something that mostly benefits publishers and money men (aka parasites) as pro dev while presiding over a horrific culture of crunch sure is some peak late stage capitalism.

But competition is good! It will force Steam to be better! Everyone will benefit! Publishers that are getting exclusivity money will trickle that down to their workforce! It's just another launcher!

Needless to say I agree with your post. This entire logic disconnect with Tim would be fucking hilarious if it wasn't sad people are carrying his water in light of the laundry list of anti-consumer implications and Tim's own company having horrible working conditions for their own devs as the Polygon article has shown.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been joking for a while that I would love to put these people in an escape room where the only way to get out is by using Sony TPRNet.

I'll say this, with all honesty - I can, and have, navigated PC development without touching a single Epic Games technology. I cannot say the same about technologies Valve has been behind. People want to compare Valve to Nintendo or Sony, but seriously, the types of fundamental tools they prop up, their main rival is like Microsoft, as in their OS and Visual Studios teams, not the Xbox part of microsoft.

When I see Valve today, I feel like they were birthed from this era of microsoft:

because they literally were. Gabe Newell was part of that Microsoft Millionaires push. Valve is like the modern foil to late 90's Microsoft, when Microsoft basically owned the PC developer space. It absolutely blows my mind when people say "well they don't have to provide hardware." Like, if you've done any PC game or media development in the past decade, you have your hands all over Valve technologies, even if you never work with steam at all. They and Microsoft are the serious backbones of all PC development these days. If you want to see how much Valve is propping up PC development tools, the best metric is to look where microsoft hasn't been, and see the progress that has been made over the last 10, 5 years. etc.

"Valve doesn't make games!" That's because they shifted hard into making the fundamental tools that makes the tools that make games.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I guess my big problem about this is that he's trying to frame this as an ethical debate with Epic on the good guy side instead of a simple cost vs services provided debate. But Epic Games is a massive corporation and about half of it is owned by another massive corporation (TenCent) and they're not doing these things out of the goodness of their hearts. They're also used to crazy profits (Unreal + Fortnite + Tencent) and razor-thin profits aren't going to cut it. At some point, they're going to decide that it's time to be done funneling money into the store & exclusives and time to reap the benefits and I fear that the whole 88% revshare for devs is going to shrink fast.

That is truly evil.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny. They're making Valve out to be the bad guy, but what happens if Valve actually adopts their standards?

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Sweeney is so full of shit. His claims about Valves high profits are a huge lie. And even if Valve would be able lower their cut to 12%, Epic would keep moneyhatting popular games to bully pc gamers into using their store.

At least someone gets it.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

We should be grateful that Epic isn't using Digital River services in their store, then? Because it was norm before (and even after for some companies like EA) Steam.
Fuck, remember how shitty Digital River was/is?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We should be grateful that Epic isn't using Digital River services in their store, then? Because it was norm before (and even after for some companies like EA) Steam.

Microsoft used Digital River to distribute Windows isos until WINDOWS 10. That's insane!!

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah , I hear you and understand that but would i wouldn't lose ALL enthusiasm because my options weren't as comfortable .

Not saying you shouldn't, but that doesn't make sense to me .

Monopoly no , more and more and more games egs exclusive? That's gonna happen for sure.

Not all enthusiasm, no.

But anything that you lose means that the devs and publishers will have to work harder for the sell, or just be ok with missing out on customers. Anything that adds additional obstacles for one to buy the game, makes you think over the purchases more before eventually buying it, or it will just make you skip the game completely.

The more a game is a must have for you, the more obstacles you will clear to get it. And as trivial as some of the obstacles might seem to others (like credentials management, store features, store client updates, etc), any single one of those issues might be something that makes you question a purchase and go for options that you feel more comfortable with and more enthusiasm for.

We have tons of options for our games today. Too many really. Which makes it's so easy to skip a particular game and do something else.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
This guy is so full of shit its unbelievable. Why would valve cut their revenue by 50% just to keep Epic from money hatting? Epic could just not money hat and add all of the features steam has and actually complete instead of trying to take a shortcut. And lol at him saying saying this is the most pressing issue for pc gaming. Like he white knighting pc gaming or something he said pc gaming was dead and pc gamers were a bunch pirates 10 years ago. What a compete joke.

Last edited:

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
It's still used by some big names sadly. DR is fucking godawful.
9a65678b-dc22-4865-a55e-e132cf824a38.png

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

Ubisoft used to use them as well. It was amazing. You were given a month to download your game, and that was it. Either that, or pay 20 bucks for the privilege to download it for another year or two. "Extended Download Service."