• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017

I've completed the game on PS2 and PS4, and had no idea this was in the game. I'm mindblown. What games have you experienced where you later learned you completely missed out on content?

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
FF12 too. Apparently there's a super strong weapon called the Zodiac Spear but to even have a chance to get it you have to get specific treasure chests at specific places, if you see a chest in the overworld and decide to get it, you're almost certainly locked out of getting it forever. Also aside from the first mandatory hunt, I missed the entire clan hunt quests on my first playthrough.

Nov 17, 2017
FF12 too. Apparently there's a super strong weapon called the Zodiac Spear but to even have a chance to get it you have to get specific treasure chests at specific places, if you see a chest in the overworld and decide to get it, you're almost certainly locked out of getting it forever. Also aside from the first mandatory hunt, I missed the entire clan hunt quests on my first playthrough.
The Zodiac Spear is one of the most known weapons in the game mainly cause the method to obtain it is so notorious. It makes sense if you weren't looking up anything about the game that you'd never know though. The fishing sidequest is a lot more obscure by comparison. People don't talk about that one as much. I think it's because that sidequest is only there to obtain part of the key needed to unlock a weapon in the game that's mostly useless by the time you obtain it - the Wyrmhero Blade:

I think it's a Dragon Quest reference? I wonder how many people know about this weapon.

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite, there are four specific chests you can't open. The unlock methods are also entirely different in The Zodiac Age version of the game.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
The fishing minigame was such a revelation to me. It was such a nice break from everything. I especially loved the
riddles from the colored bottles.
Really well-designed even if the actual minigame can become monotonous over time.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I played all of Persona 3 Portable without ever checking in on Iwatodai Station until the very last day

ordhitE.png

I always assumed the little circle to the bottom of the Iwatodai Strip Mall area would just take me to the world map so I never clicked on it, because I always just scanned the whole map and exited from the left or right. I felt like a big ol' idiot and I'm curious just how much dialogue I missed.

I also never did the Aerobics in Animal Crossing for the GameCube because what kid is getting up at 6am for a single week during the summer break

250px-Animal_Crossing_-_Aerobics.gif

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo

finalfantasy.fandom.com

Sound Novels

The Sound Novels (サウンドノベル, Saundo Noberu?) are minigames in the Japanese version of Final Fantasy Tactics. Unlocked when the specific artefacts is earned, they are minigames that consist of four "sound novels" related to the elements in the Chronicle section of the game. The sound novels have no...

YO WTF?!?!?! Not 15 posts and my mind is already being blown

Method of accessing said sidequest/minigame
OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Wait wtf? I remember a sidequest with that npc but it wasn't a fishing minigame.
You can only access it fairly late-game apparently:

To begin the sidequest, the player must have completed the cactite family sidequest and the story at the Draklor Laboratory. After speaking with Ruksel at the South Bank village, the player must travel to the Balfonheim Port and speak to the Fishing Enthusiast outside of the Aerodrome.

The player must talk to him twice and ask about the fishing rod, then run to the Aerodrome's entrance and back to the same spot without leaving the area. The Muramata fishing rod will be near the wall where he was sitting. The player can now return to Ruksel at the Dalmasca Estersand to begin the minigame.
finalfantasy.fandom.com

Fishing (Final Fantasy XII)

Fishing is a minigame in Final Fantasy XII played in the South Bank Village of the Dalmasca Estersand. The loot item Lu Shang's Badge is obtained by doing the fishing sidequest, an item needed for the Wyrmhero Blade. To begin the sidequest, the player must have completed the cactite family...

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
What the fuck???? FFXII is literally one of my favorite games and I didn't know this.

I'm losing my mind right now.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

You can get the Zodiac Spear as a randomly spawning chest, it's just very rare, so getting it that way is very time-consuming. I assume this is the way the developers originally intended people to get it.

The whole "don't open these specific chests" method is probably a trick that was added later for people who didn't want to do it the normal way.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait until you try to get Seitengrat (strongest weapon) in the Zodiac version. It is from an invisible chest that has 1% chance to spawn, 20% containing an item, and 5% containing Seitengrat. Without RNG manipulation you have 1/10,000 of getting it.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Pokemon Gold.

I was a kid and didn't know what the S.S. Aqua ticket was for. After wandering around the world aimlessly looking for secret Pokemon I discovered that the ship could be boarded and I was absolutely floored with how much more content there was.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I've completed the game on PS2 and PS4, and had no idea this was in the game. I'm mindblown. What games have you experienced where you later learned you completely missed out on content?

What!? How?? I just recently replayed the game and have never heard about this

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I love this game, and never knew... I think I even got the platinum on PS4?

My memory is really bad, or I just ignored this completely.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I had absolutely no idea. Lol. Thanks OP. I was near the end of my Zodiac play through, so maybe I'll try this out.

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
Wait, what.

There's an actual fishing minigame? Its crazy how that's never shown in game.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I missed the 101010100101 side quest in Mankind Divided on my first playthrough, and it turns out it was one of the best sidequests in the game.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nov 1, 2017

The interactive visual novels in Final Fantasy Tactics
I made a thread about this where a lot of people first found out about it, but it was years until I realised there's a whole extra layer to time-outs and double KOs in the Street Fighter 3 games called the Judgement Girls.

giphy.gif

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...dom-expansion-of-an-existing-mechanic.313303/
I also never did the Aerobics in Animal Crossing for the GameCube because what kid is getting up at 6am for a single week during the summer break

250px-Animal_Crossing_-_Aerobics.gif
This is a small thread filled with earth shattering revelations.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
TIL you don't even need to fish for the Platinum. That's really interesting, I wonder what the stats are on how many people know about it.

Mar 31, 2018
For me both insanely stupid and awesome at the same time. The Witcher 2....

I figured doing Roche path would be slightly different and not worth a replay. I was wrong.

And yes, I feel very stupid because it actually is pretty obvious but hey. Pretty cool that you can experience a completely different game on second playthrough though.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
You can only access it fairly late-game apparently:

finalfantasy.fandom.com

Fishing (Final Fantasy XII)

Fishing is a minigame in Final Fantasy XII played in the South Bank Village of the Dalmasca Estersand. The loot item Lu Shang's Badge is obtained by doing the fishing sidequest, an item needed for the Wyrmhero Blade. To begin the sidequest, the player must have completed the cactite family...

Ah i see, i did the cactite family sidequest but nothing else.
I missed the trophy hunters in phon coast during my first run too.
Thanks.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was aware of it by stumbling into it through luck, but I did go for the Wyrmhero Blade so I was gonna find out about it sooner or later.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The fishing mini game for me too lol. I did almost everything in the Zodiac Age and was shocked when I learned about it. Didn't go back and so it though.

Oct 3, 2019
I really hate when shit like this is so hidden in games, imo if you can't reasonably find something in the game without looking at outside resources it's a failure in game design. Final Fantasy has always been particularly bad about this.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate when shit like this is so hidden in games, imo if you can't reasonably find something in the game without looking at outside resources it's a failure in game design. Final Fantasy has always been particularly bad about this.
But if you can't reasonably find something in the game without reading a strategy guide, then it's a win for strategy guide publishers ^^

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Back in the day (or before the internet really) these little nuggets used to be hidden just so they could be told to strategy guide publishers