• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Why are they all USB A in 2020? This is tragic. I can't believe Lightning cable has existed for almost a decade and then Apple's inventive reversible ports finally get adapted by USB C and Xbox ignores it
They do embrace it for their 'client' devices (controllers), but ignore it for their 'hosts' (the console itself)

I think they made the judgement call that, even in late 2020, most people's external hard drives, as well as their USB-C charging cables will still be USB-A on one end.
When the console releases, full commitment to USB-C would have brought no real upsides (cmiiw, other than it being a sleeker, reversible port) but would be an ever so slight inconvenience for people who still own USB-A-on-one-side peripherals. Like hard drives, headphones, hell - a Kinect, even.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I've been under the impression that if it's USB 3.0, it doesn't matter the connector type...beyond the convenience of C. Am I wrong? If I'm not, I don't think there's mich to worry about concerning speeds with an external SSD.

But I might be wrong.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Excuse my ignorance but if the controllers charging port takes a USB C cable, isn't everything fine?

For what purposes does the console itself need USB C ports?

Also aren't USB A ports needed for legacy stuff(like the charging cables or external HDDs I'd normally use for XB1X)

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Excuse my ignorance but if the controllers charging port takes a USB C cable, isn't everything fine?

Also aren't USB A ports needed for legacy stuff(like the charging cables or external HDDs I'd normally use for XB1X)

I am wondering the same thing myself. I am not in need of USB C on my One X now, why is it so necessary for the next system then?

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
xbox-series-x-3d-concept-front-and-rear.jpg

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I assume there are USB A ports in the back so that when I replace my X I can just unplug it and swap the boxes without fiddling with cables and all my games on the external drives will automatically show up on XSX, ready to play. It would be nice if there were one USB-C port on there, but I don't know what I would use it for currently.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017

You are correct, C on the device doesn't matter itself. I think it's just the hype and terminology that gets people confused. Like the people on this board who love to argue about TFs thinking it really matters without knowing anything else about the system. Notice how none of these users complaining about lack of USBC input has been able to tell you WHY they need it other than "the A connector has been around forever"
Now if you have thunderbolt 3, you can use C connectors for video output (usbc to DisplayPort cables). But I doubt any console is going to include thunderbolt

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I assume there are USB A ports in the back so that when I replace my X I can just unplug it and swap the boxes without fiddling with cables and all my games on the external drives will automatically show up on XSX, ready to play. It would be nice if there were one USB-C port on there, but I don't know what I would use it for currently.

Charging controllers faster (the controllers are USB-C)

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I'm one of the dozens who are completely bummed they're killing Oneguide. I really hate using the UI on my cable box and having all my media go through my Xbox was legitimately the thing I used the most on it. Not going to buy the system as soon as I would have if they kept the HDMI In.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
USB-C is required for USB Power Delivery support. So the box will lack that.
It also rules out ever having a DisplayPort out via usb-c.

It sucks for a late 2020 device.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
If this is real, my thoughts:
  • Handle at the top
  • Motherboard is at the center of the box, ports mounted on both sides of the mobo
    • If that is true, the cooling solution will be super efficient, as it can have the SOC on one side, and all the other hot components on the other
    • the holes kind of back this up a bit
  • Bummer and a half about USB connectors
  • whats that long rectangle.... just big enough for an ssd maybe??

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the connectors were voltage limited?
USB-C is required for USB Power Delivery support. So the box will lack that.
It also rules out ever having a DisplayPort out via usb-c.

It sucks for a late 2020 device.
My understanding is USB-PD 2.0 is supported on an A connector up to 20v. PD 3.0 is a requirement if you want 100v. So PD 3.0 would be useful for charging a laptop on a dock, but seems complete overkill to charge a gamepad

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
My understanding is USB-PD 2.0 is supported on an A connector up to 20v. PD 3.0 is a requirement if you want 100v. So PD 3.0 would be useful for charging a laptop on a dock, but seems complete overkill to charge a gamepad
Thanks, that makes sense. Hot pads!

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
ASSUMING this is correct, I really would have liked to see more USB ports.

I currently have four USB devices plugged into a One X via USB hubs:

- Controller
- Headset dongle
- 2 x external SSD's

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I could imagine some external HDD enclosures and docks that would be practical for the Xbox and could use the extra power.
And I'm most salty about DisplayPort.