• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
THQ releases some fantastic games, I don't find this surprising at all. Desperados III looks ridiculous.
Pretty much. Over the last few years, they built up a nice portfolio of diverse games, with most of them hitting my kind of games. For me, the are on a roll with games I'm really looking forward to

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At this rate it's going to be such a long time before this industry ever sees the kind of change it so badly needs

Annoyinmous

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Sad world we live in but not surprising that they were voted for that. I'm more surprised of the snarky trollish "dis gun be good" comments filling up the thread.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they fired a bunch of people, it wouldn't satisfy a good portion of those still holding a grudge.

An apology and improved behavior is enough for most.
To be fair, that's exactly what I'm asking for: that they fire the asshole who chose to go on a white suprematist pedophile board to promote his games. Rather than, you know, have him sit on the board and act like it was an accident.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
The important thing is that no one feels ashamed by their purchasing decisions.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that anyone doesn't care but it barely moved the needle at all in terms of impact. The THQ AMA didn't provably radicalize anybody that hadn't heard of the site before, and 8chan would go on to gain actual notoriety from the mainstream because of the shootings and receive enough backlash to get shutdown. The THQ stuff is barely a footnote in all of that. Hell it wasn't even brought up when politicians were going around blaming video games so that just goes to show how little it actually mattered in the grand scheme of things.

I think it's for the best if we run on a "fool me once, shame on you" model. If they do it again, expect a far larger backlash with more consequences.
It's wild that a major publisher interacted with 8chan and came out unscathed. Had this been Disney you know there would be an entire company clean up inspection from top to bottom.

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Seems like the rest of the world has moved on from the THQ controversy

This in thread form
giphy.gif

This is annoying me on ways I can't describe, honestly lol

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
They bet that gamers don't really give a shit about Nazis and pedophiles.

It worked, because gamers don't really give a shit about Nazis and pedophiles.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Well they did seem to have a good showcase. I suppose the days of having a AMA on 8chan is ancient history for most.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
It's wild that a major publisher interacted with 8chan and came out unscathed. Had this been Disney you know there would be an entire company clean up inspection from top to bottom.
Unscathed implies they got no backlash whatsoever. The backlash was strong enough for them to apologize multiple times and they haven't indulged in that behavior since. For me personally, I think they responded accordingly, though the removal of the guy who pulled that stunt should have been applied as well. However, I do not know what the corporate policy is at THQN.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I have opinions I wish I could say, but I'm scared of mass reportings leading to a ban. I think they should get the award solely based on their games portfolio.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Oh boy... When it comes to their games THQN is a great publisher but their ethics and marketing... oof...

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm pretty sure Era is quite literally the only corner of the gaming audience at large that's still upset about that. And it's clearly a shrinking minority even here.

A lot of the things on Era that get blown up to be the worst thing ever are for the most part entirely unknown to most of the gaming audience.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
This makes sense. Before the 8chan incident they were a feelgood company that was bringing back beloved classics and I don`t think they have been using microtransactions, lootboxes or similar frowned upon practices that other publishers use and since the majority of the general public probably either does not know about or care about the 8chan stuff it makes sense that they are still a fan favorite.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Sends a great message that it's okay for publishers to pal up to Nazis, terrorists, racists and pedos and there'll be zero repercussions for doing so.

As long as they're not doing microtransactions or Epic store exclusives though, amirite?

Next to nobody outside of the few thousand or so people on this forum probably even know. Even if they did, news blows over pretty quick pretty much everywhere. This forum will be the only place that this stuff keeps being mentioned. Most people will have moved onto whatever the next story is.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a subset of gamers on this forum who actually seem to be very happy that people at large have forgotten about the 8chan thing or didn't care about it in the first place and it's weird as hell.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's a shame the idiots who did the stupid 8chan thing work for THQ but their developers, who had nothing to do with that, still deserve credit for the great games they are putting out, the reason why I'm still buying their games.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the only people who care about the 8chan shit are people on this forum and people on 8chan. People who voted for THQ Nordic to win this award are probably just excited for their varied lineup of upcoming games which includes remasters of fan-favorite games and entries in long-dormant IPs.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Unscathed implies they got no backlash whatsoever. The backlash was strong enough for them to apologize multiple times and they haven't indulged in that behavior since. For me personally, I think they responded accordingly, though the removal of the guy who pulled that stunt should have been applied as well. However, I do not know what the corporate policy is at THQN.
An apology is one thing but actions so far have been too quiet. How are we to be assured that this won't happen again? Are there more individuals who share the same sentiment as the guy who started it? They have a lot of trust that needs to be rebuild.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I'm pretty sure the only people who care about the 8chan shit are people on this forum and people on 8chan. People who voted for THQ Nordic to win this award are probably just excited for their varied lineup of upcoming games which includes remasters of fan-favorite games and entries in long-dormant IPs.
No, they must support Nazism. That's the only possible reason some random voters endorsed THQN. /s

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is temporarily locked while we review its contents.

Last edited:
mod post - guidelines for thread

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
If your only contribution to these types of threads is a pointless drive-by in the form of "in for the replies" or "In before[See Staff Post]", then your post sets a negative tone for the thread and derails into metacommentary.

These posts will be moderated much more harshly going forward, regardless of whether or not a staff post has already been made.

If you aren't here to contribute to the subject, be that to raise concerns in a healthy and non-disruptive manner, or to discuss the newest developments, then don't post.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
makes sense, they had a lot of exciting games and showed up at gamescom in a big way. also an indicator that the AMA controversy is pretty much dead and done everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.