• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I could get over losing winter but I don't think I could go without New England Fall.

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
I am going the other way and reading this thread scares me haha.
Queensland, Australia where winter days are like 70F to South Dakota. I am in for a right treat.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Ohio>Arkansas>Louisiana

don't miss it, though if you could have a big snow one day and have it completely disappear by the next morning I'd take that every once in a while

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I moved from a pretty mild winter to basically no winter: Seattle to San Diego.
Seattle only rarely got to snowy temperatures (at most a week or two of snow most seasons), but San Diego is like low of 50 degrees F, high of mid-60 to 70.

Honestly, I'm an indoor person, so I could live anywhere as long as I had heating/cooling. The main benefit of San Diego over Washington in terms of the weather is how much better the traffic is overall. Very little rain and no snow means that there's one less road hazard to worry about.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Grew up in Minnesota for my first 25 years then moved to Texas. It's been strange. When I was in MN the winter felt totally normal, and it never really registered with me that other places just... don't have winter. The first year I was in Dallas it got to be Christmas and it was 70 degrees out. That's when it really hit me like holy shit it's really just not going to get cold is it? Nowadays I cannot even imagine living in MN where it starts to get freezing cold in late September, early October. It's still dead of summer here in Austin at that time of year. Shit it was 80 and sunny just yesterday.

Another big difference is the amount of extra daylight we have down here in the winter.

Sunrise/sunset
Minneapolis 7:40 - 4:30
Austin 7:15 - 5:30

JaY P.

Oct 27, 2017
Paradise
Moved from California to Hawaii. I know not exactly what the thread is about. I can say I do miss having seasons. I know California does not have severe winters but there are clear season changes during the year. Weather here fluctuates roughly +/- 15 degrees during the year.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moved from New England to the DMV. Didn't miss snow at all (although we got a little bit). Now in Minnesota and hate, but tolerate, the winter.

The dream is to move to the West Coast, but the CoL is sky high most anywhere we'd actually want to live. Also, we'd have to time a change of jobs with our kid's change in schools.

We get massive pile ups with dozens of cars every year in the Twin Cities. "Defensive driving" doesn't do shit when everyone else is driving like a maniac -- hell, when *anyone* makes a *mistake*.

I live in the twin cities.

scariest driving I've ever been in was an ice storm in Nebraska. Shrugs.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I moved from New Hampshire to California. Mind - I was 18, lived with my dad for 3 years, then on my own for 2. I hated it so much. I am not a warm weather person, the constancy of the climate and desert heat of the central valley meant I felt like I was living in purgatory. I ended up moving back to NH and I don't know if I'd ever leave this state. It has everything I want out of weather. Snow can be frustrating, but I missed winter every year I was out there. I've been back 10 years, I'm getting married in a month, both my fiance and I own homes and we're not inclined to leave New England.

PS. I don't like sports, but fuck Patriots fans. Worst part of living up here. Lol.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I've thought about it every now and then. The cold is no problem; I prefer it to hot weather, and decent clothing takes care of the really bad days. It's the snow that fucks up transit randomly, and I do anywhere from a few hundred to 1,500+ a week.

Just today, on my way up 1-75, there was some strange snowfall every now and then, but no accumulation whatsoever and clear roads-- two massive backups caused by people slowing down to unbelievable speeds and accidentally getting rear ended. This is Michigan, but people don't get used to it here, and the only ones worse than that are those who ride other people's bumpers and then try to speed off only to slide off the road/into others

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Technically I moved there and back again, but...

Seoul area to Houston. Grew up in Houston and moved to Korea for a few years, it wasn't my first time experiencing "real" winters (didn't move to Houston until I was 9 and lived in the midwest before then), but it was the first time in awhile. I absolutely loved it. Cold weather is incredible when you live in a country that has amazing transportation, meaning you don't need to drive in it.

Nothing is more comfy than camping out in a coffee shop for a few hours and watching the snow fall.

Fuck summers in comparison, I despise the heat. I can't wait until I live in a place with real winters again, just need to figure out where that place is going to be.

Grew up in Minnesota for my first 25 years then moved to Texas. It's been strange. When I was in MN the winter felt totally normal, and it never really registered with me that other places just... don't have winter. The first year I was in Dallas it got to be Christmas and it was 70 degrees out. That's when it really hit me like holy shit it's really just not going to get cold is it? Nowadays I cannot even imagine living in MN where it starts to get freezing cold in late September, early October. It's still dead of summer here in Austin at that time of year. Shit it was 80 and sunny just yesterday.

Another big difference is the amount of extra daylight we have down here in the winter.

Sunrise/sunset
Minneapolis 7:40 - 4:30
Austin 7:15 - 5:30

Haha, my partner teacher just moved here from Chicago and can't believe that kids are running around in short sleeve shirts 2 weeks before Christmas. The few times this year a cold front has blown through (and it's dropped into the 50s) the kids complain that it's freezing and we've had a few come to school bundled up in parkas.

Iowa to Texas. I like Iowa winters way better. Texas is just 50 degrees and mud.

đź‘Š

Not Asleep

Oct 25, 2017
Boston to South Bay in Northern CA. I miss seasons. I liked the cold and I don't mind inclement weather. East Coast folks think that it's nice to not have rain or snow but I don't think anyone here actually likes that because we have fire and now rolling blackouts to (ineffectively) prevent fire instead.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I can't imagine living someplace without winter. The "noreaster" last week left my area with about 8 inches and going out to deal with it felt like nothing. I feel like I would be depressed without even the possibility of a white snowy winter.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I did it kinda the other way around...

Toledo (Spain) -> Worcester (UK) -> Stockholm -> Andorra -> Madrid -> Munich -> Tyrol

So I'm pretty accustomed to cold and snowy winter, then again winters in central Spain are fucking cold as well, we don't get snow but it's not that warm as some people think.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Northern Utah to Phoenix.

I definitely don't miss the cold and having to shovel my driveway. The weather is good 9 months out of the year, and you just stay inside the other 3.

Utah is superior though, and I definitely miss it. Just like anything else in life, both places have their unique beauty and perks.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I live in the twin cities

That's why I quoted you. Plenty of those people involved in that 60 car pile up earlier this year had snow tires and AWD and were driving defensively. Didn't help. And we'll see plenty more multi-car collisions this winter where at least one of the victims did everything right but got hosed anyway.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's why I quoted you. Plenty of those people involved in that 60 car pile up earlier this year had snow tires and AWD and were driving defensively. Didn't help. And we'll see plenty more multi-car collisions this winter where at least one of the victims did everything right but got hosed anyway.

google 60 car pileup.

they happen in Maryland

they happen in Washington state

they happen pretty much everywhere

Don't really see your point

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Illinois to Washington (state, not DC)
yes I would
No I dont

Don't miss getting up at 5am to shovel the driveway. If I want to snow I can drive up the mountain.

Mar 3, 2019
I live in the twin cities.

scariest driving I've ever been in was an ice storm in Nebraska. Shrugs.

Fellow twin cities resident checking in to confirm. All you have to do is drive slower with longer following distance. Even the twin cities is a cake compared to northern Minnesota or the dakotas where they get ungodly amounts of snow plus worse infrastructure. It gets so cold in Minnesota that it skips the snow oftentimes, aka the polar vortex

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I did the opposite ..and yeah. Not sure how I truly feel yet. It's rough but let's see if I can adjust with time

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Spent more than 25 years in the Adirondacks in upstate NY where it would regularly snow feet at a time, hit temps so cold that parts of my car would actually break off and you could toss water into the air and it would freeze before it hit the ground. When all the snow melted in the spring, the river across the road would flood our yard and basement.

Eventually moved to Seattle where it did get fairly cold in winter, but I actually missed the snow. The fall and winter winds and rain were way more miserable than the cold and occasional light flurry of snow.

Now we live in LA and I complain about it being 45 degrees in the early morning, lol. I do still miss getting to experience those NY winters (those feelings are brief and short-lived, mind you) but my old man body ain't made for the cold any more.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
It really is relative. Moving from Miami to NYC I would say it gets cold for way more than one month out of the year. :P

absolutely relative. My wife's family visits from Trinidad and are feeling cool in the 70's. Its funny, because i dont even consider winters that bad where im from because its coastal NH. But you drive a little north and inland and its not so mild.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Near to hear everyone's perspectives... I've only ever lived in cold Winter climates all my life whether that's in Ontario or PA and I can't really imagine life without it all at this point. It'd just seem weird I guess.

Though I'd probably be open to it since I've really grown to detest snow/cold as I've grown older.