• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
What a shock, the only meaningful character in such a relationship is the one played by the director, in a seconds-long scene at the end of the movie, involving two characters whose people literally don't have any other genders but the one.
Which kind of bugged me since it's a contradiction from Ragnarok when Korg told Thor about his "mum and her boyfriend" being the only ones that joined his revolution. Like okay write it off as a joke I guess, but it was still said by Korg earnestly to Thor so we as an audience should assume he was telling the truth about that, and then they retconned that here.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Here is how I would have made this movie. First of all, cut out all the stupid jokes and Korg narration. The humor can be naturally woven into the movie.

The movie opens on Jane Foster, catching up with her not with a montage or flashback but in the present day. She's living her life, doing her brilliant science stuff, winning awards, and you really get to know what kind of person she is. One day, she falls ill and learns that she has cancer, and no one finds this funny at all, not even in a 50/50 way. Remember there are going to be enough jokes here with Taika Watiti directing, so Jane is sick. Through happenstance, Thor wants to find out how Jane is doing. Hell, this might be a great chance for Peter Quill and Thor to share something they have in common. (seriously, how is this not a moment in the film. They are both in the movie and have loved ones facing death due to cancer) Thor tells the Guardians that he has to see to his old flame. Thor wants to save Jane, but it is clear that she wants nothing to do with him. She wants to die alone, but Thor doesn't give up. He searches the universe for anything that could save her.

Meanwhile, we meet Gorr not through that absolutely awful scene at the beginning of this movie, but at the present time. He is as menacing and scary as can be, and he has a plan to destroy all gods. We briefly see why he is this way, but just like with this movie, we don't much care. This dude is fucking scary. Thor hears of a powerful entity that could save Jane, and goes on a great and perilous journey to find him. Thor is running out of time. When he arrives, this god appears poised to grant Thor his wish when Gorr the God Butcher arrives. He slaughters the god and leaves Thor bloody and broken on the steps, as it seems he has failed to save Jane's life. Gorr invades Earth and steals some kids, I guess? They don't really need to fight in my version because that is dumb.

Back on Earth, Valkyrie hears about Thor's quest and tells Jane. Jane is determined not to spend her last moments just waiting to die, and wants to help. Through the magic of Thor's broken hammer, Jane becomes the Mighty Thor. She goes on a quest with Valkyrie and kicks the shit out of Gorr.

In the last scene, Thor walks to the gravestone of Jane Foster and says some touching words.

You could insert all the little jokes you wanted in there provided they were funny. My story might be the most bog standard way to tell this story but I would have preferred it to what we got.
yea sorry, but no to all this.

and also the beginning scene with Bale and Gorrs daughter was great. He totally sold it, and then the abject despair when he's begging the god and the god not only says no but mocks him.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I got to hear Rainbow in the Dark through fancy IMAX speakers, so all of your nerd criticisms mean NOTHING to me!🫠

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
Movie was good, but not great.

But the Guardians of the Galaxy were completely unnecessary in this movie. Felt like the writers of Endgame decided to put Thor joining the Guardians without talking to Taika Waititi before, Taika didn't know what to do with them so just wrote them off. Not a big deal, but I thought Marvel was better in connecting different MCU movies.

I'm betting Thor will die on his next movie and join Jane in Valhalla.

Valencia15

Banned
May 8, 2022
Dudes I just saw this, Is this a parody of a Marvel movie or are they self-aware?

ive seen like 5 or 6 Marvel movies and this seemed like a parody.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who couldn't stand Ragnarock and genuinely confused why people liked it, I mostly enjoyed this. Most of the really cringe "comedy" is concentrated from minute 10 to minute 30 or so, and for the rest of the movie the comedy mostly worked for me.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
But the Guardians of the Galaxy were completely unnecessary in this movie. Felt like the writers of Endgame decided to put Thor joining the Guardians without talking to Taika Waititi before, Taika didn't know what to do with them so just wrote them off. Not a big deal, but I thought Marvel was better in connecting different MCU movies.
Honestly they had more screen-time then I thought they were going to get. I assumed the opening shot just would be The Benatar dumping Thor and Korg on some random planet since Quill was already over Thor's one-upmanship at the end of Endgame.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Movie was good, but not great.

I'm betting Thor will die on his next movie and join Jane in Valhalla.

The original plan was to have Guardians 3 (with Thor) come out before Thor Love and Thunder. but… the James Gunn controversy happened, he got fired, and Guardians 3 got pushed back. So… they had to wrap up the "Thor leaves with the Guardians at the end of endgame" plot line quick.

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
The original plan was to have Guardians 3 (with Thor) come out before Thor Love and Thunder. but… the James Gunn controversy happened, he got fired, and Guardians 3 got pushed back. So… they had to wrap up the "Thor leaves with the Guardians at the end of endgame" plot line quick.

Ok, now it makes sense. Disney really screwed it there.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Gunn says that Thor was never going to be in GotG3. Not sure how it was going to be resolved had they kept the order, unless Thor going with the Guardians was a really late change added in reshoots.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
As someone who couldn't stand Ragnarock and genuinely confused why people liked it, I mostly enjoyed this. Most of the really cringe "comedy" is concentrated from minute 10 to minute 30 or so, and for the rest of the movie the comedy mostly worked for me.
Agreed, I said earlier that unlike Ragnarok I didn't feel like this movie was constantly undercutting the emotional moments with quips, they were able to let the humor and emotional beats breathe without stepping on each other. It became obvious to me this wasn't going to be a repeat of Ragnarok's tonal issues from the opening with Gorr and his daughter.

Which is even more puzzling why people that loved Ragnarok are criticizing this movie for doing what Ragnarok did! It's weird.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Gunn says that Thor was never going to be in GotG3. Not sure how it was going to be resolved had they kept the order, unless Thor going with the Guardians was a really late change added in reshoots.

Source? Last I heard, Gunn neither confirmed nor denied Thors involvement in Guardians 3 when pressed on it, and made vague hints about it. This was before he was fired.

任天堂ファン

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
What was the credit song that played after the Hercules reveal? Before it was Guns and Roses, I know that but after there was some other song.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in this weird zone like with Dr. Strange 2 where I had a good time watching the movie but also can't help but feel disappointed in it as a followup to the last thing. The whole world of the movie felt much smaller compared to Ragnarok despite being a similar runtime. Also damn, I feel like nearly every scene was in marketing before release!

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I think the only grating parts for me was

THIS IS HEIMDALL'S SON!

Sif keeps getting done super dirty

But I got over it quickly.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Damn, I actually liked DS2 quite a bit more, and I had a ton of issues with Doctor Strange.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Still not as dirty as The Warriors Three in Ragnarok, another reason I like Love & Thunder better.

To be fair, they were so fucking forgetabble that I never noticed one of them got recast until Honest Trailers told me.

But yeah, at least Love and Thunder does state that Thor considered those heavy losses that affected him too

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Still not as dirty as The Warriors Three in Ragnarok, another reason I like Love & Thunder better.

To be fair, they were so fucking forgetabble that I never noticed one of them got recast until Honest Trailers told me.

But yeah, at least Love and Thunder does state that Thor considered those heavy losses that affected him too

Yeah, but there's even a joke about the Warriors Three at the start of Love and Thunder.
I think Korg says something like "Hela killed the Warriors Three! Anyone remember their names? Anyone?"

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
While this all true of phase 1-2 it doesn't negate the criticism of Phase 4 feeling a bit directionless. Maybe there will be a great pay off. I certainly hope there is. But MCU is it's lowest point of excitement/interest for me ever and I'v seen that sentiment shared a lot both online and among my friends irl. Phase 1 was only 6 movies I think, including Avengers. Phase 4 must be double or triple the number of hours at this stage and very little of it has been great or terrible, just somewhere in between. I'm sure a lot of people were pinning their hopes on Doctor Stragne and/or Thor 4 being the big movies that got things moving and both have fallen fairly flat unfortunately.

Looking at wha'ts left movie wise
- Black Panther 2
- Ant-Man 3
- GOTG 3
- The Marvels
- Fantastic Four

The only one of those I have any real confidence in is GOTG 3. I hope they are all great of course but there aren't many easy slam dunks in there. The Marvel TV stuff has been so middling and unessential that I've no faith in any of the upcoming shows being any better.

I actually prefer the movies to not really do any more long-term direction stuff. Like, of the post-Endgame stuff, I'm burnt out so I skipped all of the TV shows and half of the films. I only watched Spiderman (because all the Spidermen), Dr. Strange (because Raimi), and this (because Taika). Of the films you've listed, I might watch F4 out of curiosity for an MCU adaptation but I'll be skipping the rest. So for me at least, it's better that they don't wedge all the extra stuff in anymore because I'll just stop altogether.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I liked it quite a bit. Not as funny as Ragnorak but more emotional, and I was totally sold on the Thor/Jane dynamic in a way the previous movies never managed. Her death got to me. I think Bale was great but underused. The jokes all worked for me, they weren't always gut busting but I gotta say the persistence with the goat joke or the jealous storm breaker came back around to being funny. Weird not having Loki in a Thor movie and I do think giving Thor a kid is something that will probably be walked back, but overall I think it's in contention for best Thor movie. I really don't get the extreme negative reviews

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Ummm, I really loved it? Like a whole bunch. It was funny and wacky and comic booky to the max, and like 98% of it felt like the best aspects of the MCU. (I'm generally not a person who laughs out loud, and I did multiple times in this film.) I don't understand the borderline tepid "Ragnarok redux" critical response at all. Only the Zeus scene felt anything like Ragnarok, and I thought Love & Thunder did a better job of that type of scene. I think it's my favorite Thor movie, and probably the best of Phase 4.

Chris Hemsworth is literally perfect as Thor. He is Thor. While others would make the material seem hammy, it always works with him. And Portman was excellent in her re-debut. All* the characters/actors did a great job. I'm glad they visually introduced the concept of Valhalla, so some of the Thor characters from past films that didn't necessarily get the best send off can now be reintroduced.

*Except Chris Pratt, who looked super frumpy, and like a weird bland sore thumb in his speech to Thor.

This movie is excellent. If you want to feel the MCU magic, this provides it. (Also, Hercules in the MCU now? Yes please!)

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I know Love will probably just be a "You stay at home sweetie" kind of a character for now on.

But...yeah I'd like to see what her character is about

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
It's one of their biggest openings ever, surpassing Ragnarok handily, so you might want to start looking into other options if you can't deal with a single future film in the lineup that isn't for you. If Taika wants Thor 5, it's his.

Nah, Metascore/RT is low af and didn't even top the $150-160 mil trackers were expecting. We'll see if this has legs by next week.
Best Marvel can do to redeem this, is give us a new director, WAY less joking and just give us Portman as Mighty Thor or one of the Valkyries.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
It was OK! This was tough for me because I love both the Jane Foster Thor and Gorr stories. So honestly I wouldn't have minded a more serious movie, considering the subject matter.

Bale fucking kicked ass in this though. Creeeeeeeeepy

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Liked it just fine. I expected more based on the awesome trailers though.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually looking forward to seeing the Guardians again finally but they felt totally off in their scene to me, like everyone was sleepy or something lol

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. The movie was kind of a mess in the pacing and tone department and Gorr didn't get anywhere near as much screentime as I would have liked, but overall I had a good time.

I also wish the Guardians had a larger role in the plot. Starlord is (or was) a demi god so I thought that would play into the plot more with Gorr and the fact that his mom had cancer just like Jane. Kind of a missed opportunity for good drama there.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I actually prefer the movies to not really do any more long-term direction stuff. Like, of the post-Endgame stuff, I'm burnt out so I skipped all of the TV shows and half of the films. I only watched Spiderman (because all the Spidermen), Dr. Strange (because Raimi), and this (because Taika). Of the films you've listed, I might watch F4 out of curiosity for an MCU adaptation but I'll be skipping the rest. So for me at least, it's better that they don't wedge all the extra stuff in anymore because I'll just stop altogether.
The whole thing about the MCU is that it's a big TV series, any movie and Disney+ show is an episode, so, yeah, I doubt they ever really going to stray away from that unless the public start to find catching up or keeping up impossible and the views and box office suffer from that, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Eventually all, or mostly all, will come together for a series of event, or so I guess.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Wasn't great. So much of the comedy just didn't hit, but then it clashes so hard with the serious moments.

I was really worried going in that Taika's sensibilities wouldn't blend well with Gorr, and the funny part is he's actually the most successful part of the movie. Christian Bale is just a lot of fun to watch, and there's a lot of fun visual design when he's on screen and the film is taking him seriously. The movie picks up a lot once they get to the black/white sequence.

Portman does well bringing back Jane and she really does get to shine in the back end of the film.

But so much of what you'd consider Taika's traditional sensibilities just don't marry it all together. The attack on Asgard has these fun creepy shadow beasts, but then it cuts to awkwardly edited and badly composited action/comedy beats until Gorr literally reappears.

Again, I largely the movie ends pretty well starting once they get to that moon. I wish it had gotten to linger in the sincerity longer instead of leaning on some tired jokes.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Checked it last night on an IMAX screening. Picture quality and sound made great use of the format.

I'll say Ragnarok was the more superior film, but I enjoyed Love and Thunder. Had a packed theater and the audience was just into it! People were practically dying with the running gags involving the goats and Stormbreaker's sentience. A couple of other noteworthy reactions are the scenes with Zeus and the flashbacks of Thor and Jane, particularly when they used Mjölnir to propel themselves when they were rollerblading.

But without a doubt the biggest reactions were when Thor rode Stormbreaker lIke a witch and him curbstomping those bird-like aliens in the beginning. A bunch of people clapped when the credits started rolling.

It was definitely the funniest Thor movie. Considering the reactions both here and on social media, it's understandable that the tone and humor of the movie wasn't gonna resonate with everyone. Personally wish the movie was longer.

But in the end, Hercules finally makes an appearance!

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost no one in my audience laughed lol. The rollerblading flashback was the funniest bit I think. I really wish this movie was more focused on Thor, Jane, and Gorr. It was 2 hours and yet it felt like nothing happened to me.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it quite a bit. It felt a lot like a plot of a Dungeons and Dragons campaign with the bad guy getting a cursed sword and wanting to kill all the Gods. The serious moments mixed in with a lot of humor was pretty much the exact tone of our D&D games and I was with several of my fellow D&D players and we all felt the same way.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Really had a blast with this movie. Laughed quite a bit, and just overall really enjoyed it!

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it, but didn't quite love it. I did laugh every time the ax was jealous of his ex.

The time it just kind of crept into the frame was probably my favorite sight gag in the MCU.

Also, didn't know Roy Kent was picking chest meat like that. Hope they let Herc be bi.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think part of the reason the jokes in this movie are so painfully unfunny is that there is nothing left for them to make fun of. Rewatch Thor Ragnarok and you'll see what I mean.

They make fun of Asgard as a concept, its people, Thor's powers as well as his opinion of himself. The entire humor is based on Thor being a fish out of water on Sakaar. He realizes just how small he in the scope of the universe, finally resolves his conflict with his brother, and saves his people from an enemy that cannot be defeated by Thor's own strength. He wins by enlisting his own people and letting go of his past. The whole film is thematically connected. Yes, characters do make jokes about serious events like Hela murdering everyone and Asgard blowing up, but these events are also to large to properly capture a sense of grief within the scope of a film like this. Another thing they do in Ragnarok is make it clear that Thor's adventure on Sakaar is a fun escape, but the ultimate goal is getting back to Asgard where things are more serious and everyone is dying. There is a nice contrast despite all the jokes.

This movie on the other hand begins as though you just accept that everything in this world is hilarious already. This is Thor and he's just the most badass motherfucker on the planet, look at him. All these things around him are just WACKY, aren't they? Now everything I say about him will automatically be funny.

What they could have done is have Thor be dead serious in the face of this villain who is also dead serious, and a character like Korg tries to lighten the mood. Making fun of Gorr's appearance and mission is funny, for example. Instead almost every scene Christian Bale isn't in is like a rainbow-colored ice cream beam shot directly into your eyeballs. I absolutely struggle to even imagine how Thor losing yet another loved one, adopting someone else's child, and defeating Gorr connected in any way to where this character was at the end of Endgame.

It really does feel like there was a list of musts for this film, Mighty Thor, Jane dies, Gorr the God Butcher, and probably a list of gags that Taika was too restrained to use in Ragnarok, and the points that connected all of these things together were deemed irrelevant by everyone involved.