• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The goal is to get better. I mainly play to climb the ranks and hit a specific goal I set myself.

On hindsight this is exactly the same as any PvP game, and just like any PvP game that I've attempted (which are very few) I could never find the motivation to stick to the game.

It's hard to explain, but I feel that Climbing the ladder to me is a fruitless endeavor. Seeing that number bump from 5489 to 5401 (etc.) feels hollow.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
On hindsight this is exactly the same as any PvP game, and just like any PvP game that I've attempted (which are very few) I could never find the motivation to stick to the game.

It's hard to explain, but I feel that Climbing the ladder to me is a fruitless endeavor. Seeing that number bump from 5489 to 5401 (etc.) feels hollow.
I understand. It helps if you have someone of similar ability to act as a friendly rival.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Nope. I've always been into fighting games even though I'm not very good.
I don't really mind getting crushed online, though I don'y think I'd ever attend a toutnament, even a local one.

Zack117

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I've always been into fighting games even though I'm not very good.
I don't really mind getting crushed online, though I don'y think I'd ever attend a toutnament, even a local one.
The social aspect of meeting people IRL ,playing, learning, hanging out and making friends is by far the best thing about fighting games.

Zack117

Oct 28, 2017
I met my best friends in arcades back when I was 13-14. We've been getting together to play games for 20+ years.

I miss arcades.
ikr, I met 2 of my my best friends through competitive smash years ago.
EDIT: actually, make it a 3. That's almost half of my friends, lol.

Though I envy you for experiencing the arcades. There was no arcade scene in my country, not to mention in my region. Which is why I've been getting into fighting games only about 6 years ago. Still, so much worth it.

Last edited:

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
I'm definitely into fighting games. I'm not into playing them competitively, though. Having to memorize attack priority and care about animation frames takes me out of the fantasy of being in an awesome fighting match and makes me feel like I'm taking a math test.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'm definitely into fighting games. I'm not into playing them competitively, though. Having to memorize attack priority and care about animation frames takes me out of the fantasy of being in an awesome fighting match and makes me feel like I'm taking a math test.

Boxing is called the sweet science for a reason. Fighting—at the highest levels—has always required lots of calculation and technical knowledge.

That said, you don't need to know all of that to just play and have a good time. Even in a competitive setting like a tournament. There are plenty of tournament players who play intuitively instead of studying the game frame-by-frame.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
Boxing is called the sweet science for a reason. Fighting—at the highest levels—has always required lots of calculation and technical knowledge.
Of course - but then again, I was never interested in learning how to box competitively either!

That said, you don't need to know all of that to just play and have a good time. Even in a competitive setting like a tournament. There are plenty of tournament players who play intuitively instead of studying the game frame-by-frame.
I do have an excelent time with fighting games! King of Fighters is one of my favorite series of all time, ever since I was a wide-eyed kid going to arcades in the 1990s. I do identify with what you said in another post - that back then, fighting games were the shiny new thing that everybody played. I even considered myself quite good at them given the competition, as I'd destroy people in KoF '96 at my local arcade.

These days, I still love playing stuff like KoF and Smash with friends, but I'm just not interested in getting better than I already am, or in playing against people online. A lot of the appeal to me comes from being physically next to my opponent, having a laugh and drinking a beer. That doesn't rule out the possibility of going to local tournaments, obviously, but I guess I'm just not interested.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I've pretty much given up on really getting into them. I do have/did have a great time with the single player stuff in games like Mortal Kombat, Injustice 2, Soul Calibur 6, Smash Ultimate etc. I just don't have much fun trying to learn, practice and get decent at playing against others. That just feels too much like work to me and I don't play games for that reason. I get my sense of accomplishment from my career and fitness activities and just play games to have fun and relax.

Maybe if I'd gotten a fight stick and gave it a more serious try in my 20s, but I just have failed at my attempts to get more into the genre in my 30s and now 40s. I just don't have the time or patience and feel like if I'm going to learn/practice things it should be skills that help my career and income.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This thread inspired me to throw on some Tekken last night. I actually had a little trouble finding a smooth match, but after a bit I found a nice stable one with someone who is right in my level. We were both pretty shitty lol.

We did like 10 rematches. Throwing out raaaandom haymakers and panic moves. So fun.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
This thread inspired me to throw on some Tekken last night. I actually had a little trouble finding a smooth match, but after a bit I found a nice stable one with someone who is right in my level. We were both pretty shitty lol.

We did like 10 rematches. Throwing out raaaandom haymakers and panic moves. So fun.

Now you're inspiring me to hop on some Tekken. I played a little when it first came out, but I need to stop just watching and practice what I preach.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Now you're inspiring me to hop on some Tekken. I played a little when it first came out, but I need to stop just watching and practice what I preach.

Starting out in ranked matches, there's a ton of players who are not exactly killers. I find it pretty easy to jump in and cut it up even if I'm rusty or whatever.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone has Xbox Game Pass, you should know that Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is on the list to download right now. Maybe I'm slowpoke'ing with this but I have been playing this for the last hour and having some fun. Definitely never playing this shit online or with anyone else though, I know I'm like...eight years late to this party, but it's a fun button smasher so far.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Go to a tournament? I doubt there are enough people around my region playing smash4 or killer instinct. Maybe kof, but I don't feel like playing the more recent ones. 98 is where at.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that time passed long ago. They're just a casual enjoyment. My reflexes aren't good enough anymore.

I really should sell one of my sticks.

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I shall forever be an online and single player warrior! Give me the damn good single player modes Fighting Games!

I also find really weird that people recommend Street Fighter as a starting game. It has some of the harder and most frustrating combo executions, and playing the game at a fundamentals level is extremely boring and bland. Just my opinion though.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, that didn't last long. I'm up to tutorial 16 in Killer Instinct. I dunno what the stuff on the left means and I shouldn't have to, really. If this was where I got stuck when I gave it a fair effort at launch, what chance do I have now?

2019-01-11%2022.40.14.jpg

As controls go, Smash Bros is House Of The Dead while other fighting games are Typing Of The Dead... well, almost. In Typing Of The Dead, the letters shown are real and correspond to real keys on a real keyboard.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that didn't last long. I'm up to tutorial 16 in Killer Instinct. I dunno what the stuff on the left means and I shouldn't have to, really. If this was where I got stuck when I gave it a fair effort at launch, what chance do I have now?

As controls go, Smash Bros is House Of The Dead while other fighting games are Typing Of The Dead... well, almost. In Typing Of The Dead, the letters shown are real and correspond to real keys on a real keyboard.
You should probably start the tutorial over from the beginning instead. I did the tutorial fully a while ago and I can't remember what Heavy Auto and Shadow Linker are, and I wouldn't really expect to since I only did the tutorial and never played the game since. But it does teach you all of that.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone has Xbox Game Pass, you should know that Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is on the list to download right now. Maybe I'm slowpoke'ing with this but I have been playing this for the last hour and having some fun. Definitely never playing this shit online or with anyone else though, I know I'm like...eight years late to this party, but it's a fun button smasher so far.

Wait, Mahvel's on game pass?!
Oh god I'm gonna be so rusty: I've not played properly in about 6 years.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should probably start the tutorial over from the beginning instead. I did the tutorial fully a while ago and I can't remember what Heavy Auto and Shadow Linker are, and I wouldn't really expect to since I only did the tutorial and never played the game since. But it does teach you all of that.
What you're saying is the right answer, but I don't think this is the right design philosophy for traditional fighting games.

Everyone already knows the button combinations required in Smash Bros because it all starts with is a direction plus A or B. All players need to do is perform the moves so they can see what happens and go from there. The depth remains while the barrier to entry doesn't exist. Immediately fight opponents instead of the controls.

On an unrelated note, I think arcade sticks are dumb.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017

IIRC the KI tutorial is divided into 2 parts, and part 16 is the advanced section already. If you don't remember what openers and linkers are, you should start over from the beginning because they are the basics of KI combo system. Also, don't do the entire tutorial in one go. If you're learning English, would you read an entire grammar book top to bottom? I don't think so. Do the basic lessons and go play the game. The combo system is way easier to play than to explain.

Edit: to answer your other question, they can't show the buttons for stuff like openers, linkers and enders because they can be different moves. You don't get just one opener, Jago has a couple of moves for that (iirc) and they're also used as linkers and enders. You can even use the same move for everything, if you want to keep it simple. Just try!

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
What you're saying is the right answer, but I don't think this is the right design philosophy for traditional fighting games.

Everyone already knows the button combinations required in Smash Bros because it all starts with is a direction plus A or B. All players need to do is perform the moves so they can see what happens and go from there. The depth remains while the barrier to entry doesn't exist. Immediately fight opponents instead of the controls.

I don't really think that's a fair comparison against KI, considering the tutorials explain the different mechanics shown on screen, and it'd be redundant to repeat every concept at every step.

Oct 27, 2017
They don't have good enough single player content for me to care.

Bring back the days of Virtua Fighter 4/5 and Flying Dragon 64 single players motherfuckers.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I haven't even been average at one in a while. Still have my Switch copy of DBFZ sealed. Need to start plugging away at it. My complete lack of skill in Smash was almost shocking. I was never a great player, but I didn't think I'd lose so much after 3-4 years off.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
The social aspect of meeting people IRL ,playing, learning, hanging out and making friends is by far the best thing about fighting games.
Exactly. I'm actually attending a Street Fighter 4 tournament this weekend SPECIFICALLY to meet people into Street Fighter and maybe find more of the SF community in my area. I haven't played SF4 in years so I'm certainly not going there to win.

Jan 10, 2018
I love fighting games, but they are not very casual friendly. I always get wrecked online and I'm the kind of guy who really goes out of my way to learn every part of a game. But even with that knowledge I don't stand against most people.

I also don't have any friends to play with irl so there's always that ofc.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's kinda lame to try and show off a fight against the CPU, but I really took a compromise to try and learn how Marvel vs Capcom 3 works and I had this moment of glory in which I yelled YES! so loud Daniel Bryan would be ashamed.

I know there's plenty of stuff I should improve like blocking and not jumping so much but this was so rewarding after a couple of days of getting beaten down effortlessly by the hard AI. Ignore that pause at the start.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good Tekken 7 tutorials online or youtube vids/tips for new players or anything that might go in depth on the nuances, systems, etc?

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually stopped caring about fighting games last year, they don't do anything to me anymore.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Nah, arcade sticks are great if only because they allow me to play a fighting game for several hours without killing my thumbs.

I am actually more consistent with DBFZ on a pad, but play solely on stick because after about an hour of play my thumb starts to feel raw on pad.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
This is the year you'll start running/learn Japanese(or some other language you don't know yet).

It's doable, fun, very rewarding, and you'll meet some great people.

You probably won't though.

Me being negative ahead.

The genre is inherently competitive, making not being bad important to get any measure of success or even expression.

It's a huge payoff to see yourself improve at something and learn more, and fighting games so that as good as any other genre, if not consistently better.

I made a New Years resolution in 2016 to learn Smash Melee and street fighter v, and go get better at games in general.
I was inspired by a thread on the old place asking folks if they've gotten better or worse at games with age.

In 2019, I've made it into silver for a few minutes in street fighter v, before sinking back down to the beginning of bronze again eventually, and usually I just bob up and down in that ladder.
I feel like I learned some great fundementals, and I enjoy using them, but because I don't feel like memorizing and practicing combos, I eventually can't do as well as my opponents.
Low level opponents will repeat the cbos they've memorized as soon as the opportunity arises, but I can usually beat them at the mind games and neutral.
I slowly chip away at their health as I play good defense and punish, but my offense usually is just a hit or two.
However, eventually I get to higher level folks, I get juggled, and can't do the same back.

I gave up on Melee because it involved too much of just burning the muscle memory to do inputs no designer would have intended, and I didn't have consistent CRT access. Also most friends would rather play a newer game, while players in the local Melee scene were both bad at being teachers and also too good at the game for me to learn anything from. Their advice was usually useless, and I couldn't take a stock from them.

However, I still had a lot of fun. Especially in street fighter.
I just don't play the game regularly enough.
There's way too many other things to play, and every time I take a few weeks away, enough has changed to throw me off a bit.
Folks be lagging too.
There isn't much of a local scene, and in 2019, I don't have the space in my life to be venturing out to go find it. I want my games to be fine in my home. So I mostly just do couch matches when someone comes over, or try online matches.

So it's not always easy or convient, but fighting games are very rewarding y'all.

Nah, most folks feel bad about using a walkthrough for a single player game, let alone spending a lot of time looking up frame data and tutorials.

Folks might get into smash in some big numbers, but that's because the learning curve starts really smooth with that one.
And there's more casual modes.

Fighting game fans and everyone else want different things out of fighting games. Mostly because other game genres have conditioned them to expect to be able to learn how to play just by playing by themselves.
Fighting games fans get mad when developers want to simplify inputs, or lean mechanics towards comebacks.
It's hard for an outsider not to misconstrue that as gatekeeping.

People generally won't struggle with inputs in games anymore. If they do, it's usully a technical or design probably.

I don't think this will convince many fgc folks, but maybe that's irony of it all.

Sorry to rant, but I really want folks to learn these games, let alone trygames in general, and accessibility isn't moving fast enough.

I find fun in the struggle, though I wish I could put more time into attending fight nights and hanging out on the fightingEra discord. I wish though.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
i just dont have as much passion for them anymore. the fighting games out ow are great and all but I haven't seen a character that screams You Must Be The Best At Them in forever which is a key requirement to me wanting to play one consistently. Haven't felt it since UMvC3.