• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I don't love every Star Wars game, nor do I love every Star Wars movie, but I think there should ALWAYS be multiple Star Wars games in development.

When the license is used well in a good to great game, it's always a fun universe to dive into.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I feel like just a year or two ago ppl were complaining Ea weren't making enough Star Wars games…now other studios can make them and now it's too many(there's 6….) 600 games got announced inbetween those 6 being announced
I was at least. Two years later and I'm pretty pumped about the future of Star Wars video games again. Was killing me EA got years of console exclusivity and we got two shooters and one action-adventure game. The second that shit opened up it suddenly feels like I'm about to drown in terms of Star Wars games in development. Great ass problem to have and my only hope is they continue to do a variety of different genres like back in the day.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Not enough tbh.

These games won't hit all at once and are in different genres.

Good Star Wars games aren't the norm. So i gladly take what i can get.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
Where's Rogue Squadron 2?
cover_large.jpg

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
its not like every single game on that list are releasing on the same day.

Its a huge universe fit for a ton of different stories and genres, spread that over literally years and thats completely fine, I gladly welcome more.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Given how long games take to develop I think having a lot in the oven at a time makes sense. If they release them on a pace of one a year then I doubt I'd be overwhelmed, and the genres are usually varied enough that they cater to different audiences.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't love every Star Wars game, nor do I love every Star Wars movie, but I think there should ALWAYS be multiple Star Wars games in development.

When the license is used well in a good to great game, it's always a fun universe to dive into.
And it's a universe capable of handling any genre you can think of.

Unfortunately most of these games will end up being either cinematic or open-world third-person action-rpgs/adventures :-/

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
That's a perfectly moderate amount? You really think that's too many games? Look back at the 90s or 00s and there was probably 6 games every year.

I'm glad Disney has not gone crazy with it tbh. Only one I'm not looking forward to is Quantic Dream's.

Jun 3, 2018
London
Fallen Order and the new Lego game are the only Star Wars games I've played in recent memory. I know there were a few others, but those were not in genres I like. So I really think 6 games aren't too many. And they don't even have release dates or have been shown properly. The last of these will probably release in 2027 or something. There will be just as many CoD games in the meantime.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're video games in different genres without the implied pressure to consume ALL THE STAR WARS MEDIA to be up to date with major events in the TV/Movie universe. As long as they're quality releases, they're fine. Pick and choose the ones that look fun.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I am the minority in ERA that have NO interests at all to all Star Wars related contents including movies, TV shows, games, etc.
Hope everyone else enjoy SW.

Oct 25, 2017
SW has such a vast universe that you can do a ton of things with it. And from the looks of it, these games will have a lot of variety. Mostly looking forward to the Respawn games. I really liked Fallen Order.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good games are good games and I'm happy to play good games, but yeah as someone who doesn't mind Star Wars (and Marvel) but also doesn't love them, I personally could do with the number of games from both IP halving

I'm just a bit bored with these IP now. New IP would be so much more exciting and interesting to me

That said, I'm happy for those who want more Star Wars games, god knows EA pissed away the IPs potential for almost all of the time they had a stranglehold on it

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a shame there's seemingly not another Battlefront game on its way. I actually thought the reaction around the launch of the 2nd was really overblown, and it was a pretty fun solid game, that become great with a bunch of updates.

A 3rd game with updated ground to air space battles, PS5/XSX only, a bunch of new/under used maps, new heroes/villains, new multiplayer game types, as well as a solid road map of content and better live service features could be great.

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
6 games doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of how deep the lore of Star Wars goes. If you think about the genre just in terms of shooters or Jedi it might seems too much. But to me 6 games doesn't begin to address the potential of that ip.

I need a Sith game set before the rule of two asap.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
6 games is nothing tbh. It's spread over different devs and publishers, different genres, and cover totally different parts of the universe. Given the different scope of the games they'll be staggered to release over different years too.

There could be 20 Star Wars games in active development and that would still not feel like a lot of it ends up being 5 games a year.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still baffles me that EA basically did fuck all with the IP for all those years that they had it exclusively.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars, like Marvel is a franchise that can have dozens of different types of games made based on it, 6 games coming out in, I assume, a decade is not a lot by any means.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Star Wars is an IP that is so massive and has so much potential for so many different stories and games across almost ever genre.

So no. It's not too much. Now if every single game was just all Battlefront games? Sure! That's a lot! But otherwise no, you have the potential to create mini IPs within the IP. Like KOTOR is basically a different IP inside the larger Star Wars IP.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
I think the view on how many Star Wars games is too much will be much different when we're getting one a year like it's COD, people are excited now because there are big gaps but I think that will go away with a new game every single year.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
considering that those 6 games will probably take at least 6 years to come out, im not too bothered by it. i think the endless stream of superhero games will burn people out a lot harder than the sw stuff

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
6 games over multiple years and genres is really not that much. They might not even all end up being good either. Calling this too much is a bit silly.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Calling Eclipse "actively in development" might be a tad optimistic given what's come out about it so far.

Either way, there's never too much as long as they're actually making good games. Especially when the genres are diverse.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They really banked on Battlefront and were cought by surprise.

Even if they expected Battlefront to do gangbusters, that doesn't excuse not having other teams make other games in other genres. No rpg, racer, adventure, action, narrative, strategy, survival, etc games?

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
6 out of hundreds of games over the next few years send fine to me. I am not a huge Star Wars fan, but if they are good games I will play them. Just as many Pokémon games will probably come out in the time it takes for all those 6 to do so.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Even if they expected Battlefront to do gangbusters, that doesn't excuse not having other teams make other games in other genres. No rpg, racer, adventure, action, narrative, strategy, survival, etc games?
EA doesn't have studios that could do that. Bioware was busy with Mass Effect and Anthem, Criterion and Ghost were busy with NFS.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to play all of the Star Wars games OP. Its okay for them to make games for people that want them and have the people that don't want them ignore them.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
Not sure if the OP is serious. Some of these games are years away. If we had 6 releases in November 2022 that might be too much but this seems more than fine.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Im burned out on all live action star wars shows and movies. Games though? Keep them coming. I just find the Star wars universe stupidly well suited for games and always want more.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
None of these will be as interesting as whatever original IP the studios could have been making.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
As long as at least one of them turns out great, they can make as many as they want.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Their RPG was pretty much The Old Republic. It's still getting content. I know it's now what most people were looking for.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The concept of too much of a specific type of game is silly to me.

More of any type of game the better, why wish that something didn't exist when it doesn't cause harm?

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
We're one step closer to the glory days of everyone developer and their dog releasing a star wars game. The late 90's/early 2000's was a great time to be a kid who loved star wars and video games. Were they all good? no. Fun? no. But going to a friends house who just got a new star wars game was always exciting. Not to mention blockbuster (RIP) carried most of them.

Give me all of them.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
There's probably even more that we don't know about and even more canned.

I don't know how much things have changed recently (honestly even if they're better I doubt they've changed CONSIDERABLY), but up until at the least 5 years ago Disney was notoriously difficult to work with as a license holder. I know so many people who worked on Disney game properties that were canned for stupid reasons. I would guess this is a big part of the reason why when the SW license was exclusive to a single company we didn't see much of it.

(Also I would guess that Marvel handles its licenses separately because they always seemed to have faired better both before and after their acquisition by Disney)

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
It's only too much if they're all being made by a single developer

Better this than the big ball of nothing we got from EA