• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day) inappropriate language
iVerge rapes another news headline with their Apple dildo.

#ForTheClicks

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Remeniscient of those old chinese knockoff MacBooks from the aughts.

7oWYWql.png

I'm not even an Apple fanboy, but the problem when copying or closely replicating Apple's signature design style is when you make small alterations or take liberties to get a specific feature onto it, it ends up looking worse than if you designed something yourself without a lot of "influence" and didn't try to hamfist those requirements into the design. It doesn't look "premium" it makes it look cheap and worse than it would have if you didnt try to to design something very close to Apple's design standard.

Like this button, either a power button, finger print reader, or something:

cDRiCQI.png

It looks bad, it looks out of place, it's a thin metal something when nothing else follows that pattern. You've got this smooth metal frame and then just... this oddly place thing in the middle of it. It looks worse than if you didn't try to replicate thee rest of the design and designed around this requirement.

Same thing with the huge bottom bezel, the weird blue button, and anything else. I'm sure the bezel is there because it's a big computer but the screen size is set to some specific aspect ratio, so to make everything line up they just make the bezel huge, but it looks weird, it looks like a mistake. THe blue button is probably Samsung's BIXBY button, or something, so they make this really consistently designed keyboard but then have this out of place weird blue button that is probably there just because some exec is like "How can we advertise our redundant, virtually-gauranteed-to-be-forgotten-and-replaced virtual assistant on all of our hardware?" Same with, IMO, the off-center track pad. I know the track pad is off center to line it up with the qwerty section of the keyboard, but there's a real Apple doesn't put numberpads on their keyboards, because you have to make design compromises to do it and it looks bad. Even if you get functionality by having a numberpad there, they make the decision that design symmetry or typing balance is better than the benefit of having redundant keys.

There's nothing really wrong with imitating something that has a signature, iconic design. It happens a lot. BUt if you're not that iconic designer, then the affordances you make end up making your product look worse than if you didn't try to capture that signature design. For instance, when Hyundai and Kia made those cars that looked a lot like a Jaguar S-type, a lot of people would see it and be like "... is that a jaguar...?" But then you'd look closer and realize, no, a budget Korean car trying to look a Jaguar, and it'd look worse than when Hyundai or Kia just designed their own cars.

qFvT4SS.jpg

4hikwQV.png

IT's like "Ok... let's take the tapering shape of the Jaguar, the grill, the general design of the lights, the sculpted hood, ... oh, but we also need those shitty fog lamps... and we need a space for bumpers and we gotta get as much air into the engine as possible to keep it cool on a budget ... we're only paying our designers $9,000 year... so... MAKE IT WORK PEOPLE."

Last edited:

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The stupid thing about this is that the old Samsung 9-Series range of laptops was unique and gorgeous looking.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I have that exact MBP but what's wrong with Apple making the side arrows larger in the latest models?
The "upside-down-T-shape" makes it easier to find the arrow keys even without looking at the keyboard. You just need to find the two large gaps (to the left and right of the up-arrow key) and you're there.
On the new models, the left-arrow key is the same shape and size as the option key. The only "haptic" indicator is the ridge between up and down-arrow.
It's no huge isse, but it's simply a worse key layout - imho.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
What's with the trackpaid being off-center? It's a nonstandard choice so obviously it's being done very deliberately, but I don't know what the reason would be.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm glad they took the time to switch the background to one that doesn't come pre-installed so they could make half the visual area the same to reinforce their bullshit comparison.

I fucking hate the verge.

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
What's with the trackpaid being off-center? It's a nonstandard choice so obviously it's being done very deliberately, but I don't know what the reason would be.
it's so the trackpad is aligned with the main keyboard rather than the keyboard + numpad.
of course, it also looks like shit, and numpads are hideous

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they took the time to switch the background to one that doesn't come pre-installed so they could make half the visual area the same to reinforce their bullshit comparison.

Aren't all the images in the Verge article from the official press release?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god people this person is not using a MacBook™?! Someone quickly call the tech cops on this disgrace and get them out of my sight!

Seriously though if someone is actually judging others because they are using a HP, Lenovo or whatever laptop on a freaking coffee shop I honestly hope they seek professional help.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
They do look similar, particularly if you're comparing to the 2012 MBP line (which was a great year for MBPs).
I like the number pad addition.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

What background is "switched"? - The Verge is using official Samsung promo shots for the Notebook 7.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
The people in this thread pretending it doesn't look very similar are weird.

Samsung defenders have always done that, even though these tactics been a big part of the company's history.

What's odder is that Samsung (at least in its current form) has at least proven itself capable of doing their own unique thing that draws consumers and sticks, so this is not all that needed.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
The people in this thread pretending it doesn't look very similar are weird.

I don't think anyone is claiming it doesn't look similar, just that there are enough design cues that Apple would never touch.

Every boutique notebook looks ostensibly like a Macbook these days, so it's the small details that make the big differences.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Going to jump in this thread and ask, whats the best 13 inch laptop on the market at the moment?

I'll be in hospital placements from september onwards and would prefer a smaller laptop to take around.