• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan 101344567

Banned
Sep 21, 2020
Interesting, but I'm sure other factors play into that than just saying XB spend more. Especially since there is objectively more high quality games to play on PS4 than there is on Xbox. For example, until this year, the only place to play a true MLB Simulation was on PS4. There are people that just buy consoles to play MLB The Show. You can also add in exclusives, and Japanese style games that don't really work on Xbox and you can see where the split comes from. It's not as easy to just say "Xbox users spend more"
I think you could argue xbox player waste more money on mtx but not on games

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox outperforming its install base difference to PS4.

PS4 had a ~2.2x install base advantage
But only a 1.7x advantage in revenue

Which is further proof that Xbox users spend more on average, something that's been noted for years.
we don't even know xbox install base....
a lot of napkin math here.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But yeah, it was plainly obvious that Epic's actual target was consoles, and this indicates what the stakes are.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018

Which is further proof that Xbox users spend more on average, something that's been noted for years.
Whoever has more players has more casual users. Sony has a lot of players that dilute their pool so to speak, so this is to be expected.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Until this week, Fortnite was not a "true" Free to Play game on Xbox, you needed to be paying a subscription fee to play it. Up front, people playing on Xbox were people already willing to spend money to play games, which wasn't true on any other platform
I would also bear in mind that up until very recently, Xbox players were all live gold subscribers, whereas PS4 players were the entire pool of PS4 players. I'd expect players paying to play online world be in general more inclined to spend on micro transactions.
Why wouldn't the expectation be Xbox players would actually spend less because they already have to pay for Gold? Or that PS users would make that up by spending that "saved" money on more MTX?

Again, Xbox One had an advantage back at the start of the gen according to Ubisoft financials. It's a trend.

Interesting, but I'm sure other factors play into that than just saying XB spend more. Especially since there is objectively more high quality games to play on PS4 than there is on Xbox. For example, until this year, the only place to play a true MLB Simulation was on PS4. There are people that just buy consoles to play MLB The Show. You can also add in exclusives, and Japanese style games that don't really work on Xbox and you can see where the split comes from. It's not as easy to just say "Xbox users spend more"
Well PS4 has hundreds more games then Xbox One to spend money on. This has always been a stupid argument, if both consoles had around the same number of games and AAA exclusive big sellers it would mean something.

What does that have to do with what the average Fortnite user spends in the game? You do know the average PS4 user buys 2 games a year. Xbox has actually been hinted to have a larger Tie Ratio than PS4 in the past, so the "more games" argument means nothing when at worst, Xbox and PS4 users buy the same rate of games.

Because all of Microsoft's first party games and Game Pass are also now available on PC and have been for a number of years. Given the massive install base of PC gamers, it's a little wonder the discrepancy isn't smaller.
Xbox sales are still the vast majority of unit sales and Game Pass users have to spend money every month to even get those games, so it all cancels out anyway. Even then, Ubisoft financials pointed this out long before any of this happened.

Whoever has more players has more casual users. Sony has a lot of players that dilute their pool so to speak, so this is to be expected.
Yeah, it's why I pointed it out as having been a thing for years.

we don't even know xbox install base....
a lot of napkin math here.
It's ~50M

Nov 21, 2017
Considering Korg is still playing Fornite on a PS4 in 2025, seems about right
Ez29vp2UYAARrtl

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Why was this shocking to you? Only select few franchises and genres do better on PC. Most of the time games make tons more money on consoles.
It's not that clear cut - there are several PC exclusive IPs out there that have as many (or more) concurrent users as entire Steam (consequently larger than any console store-front save perhaps PSN - and thus also larger than any single console title). Though of course - spending patterns are different across platforms.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Why wouldn't the expectation be Xbox players would actually spend less because they already have to pay for Gold? Or that PS users would make that up by spending that "saved" money on more MTX?
I imagine a large portion of players on PlayStation don't even have active payment details saved to their account. A paywall keeps out people unwilling to pay for online content/services.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Okay close to 50% is ridiculous, especially when it is such a massive game like Fortnite that is popular and accessible on multiple platforms.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Psychology - after you spend once - you are more likely to spend again (and more) - and the reverse also holds. Statistics (at least those I've seen to date) bear that out in practice, that's why companies try to get people to pony up the Credit Card as soon as possible (Eg. Apple).

Also the 'userbase size' comparison is meaningless, just like registered players mean nothing to F2P titles. What matters is active players (if you are going to compare average spend) - and none of us have those numbers.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

So we don't know it still.
Probably close to the estimate but still weird to make small percentage differences math based on it for a random point.

Anyways, bigger install base means more of the larger gaming audience that joins. Kinda like PS+ sub numbers is 80% for PS5 owners compared to overall Plus numbers being less than 50% if we added PS4 base.

I'm sure if Vita and PS4 ratios were compared we would have found out Vita players spend much more than PS4 players cause that how it works with larger install base.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not that surprising that consoles generate more revenue than the PC version or mobile. They have a huge playerbase and Fortnite fits that audience well.

PC does have its audience but a Destiny player isn't necessarily a Fortnite one. Just like someone who plays League of Legends or Counter-Strike might not play it either.

Fortnite is also fairly recent to mobile compared to other platforms. People just have their preferences set already.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The most surprising thing is not that PS4 is above the others, the surprising thing is that Switch is above PC.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not that clear cut - there are several PC exclusive IPs out there that have as many (or more) concurrent users as entire Steam (consequently larger than any console store-front save perhaps PSN - and thus also larger than any single console title). Though of course - spending patterns are different across platforms.

PC gaming is big globally, but it skews really heavily to low end machines and craptops running league of legends, and in countries that either don't have consoles markets available, or are developing countries. The raw numbers aren't the full picture, it's like Android vs iOS all over again. High end PC gaming is a niche/tiny market.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Fortnite isn't first person, but I bet that also contribute to it not being near console in popularity, among other things like more PC centered games offering more options to free to play gamers (Mobas, strategy, competitors like Valorant and such).

I just wanted Save The World to hit F2P like it was supposed to, I should have bought it when I thought about it, but I guess it's a good thing I didn't. Fortnite BR murdered it too.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's fairly logical that mainstream consoles get the most mainstream gamers, bet COD for example gets the same sort of results.

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
The way people consumes games content are changing, they just might believe in the long run mobile would be the way for people to play games and all this lawsuit is to anticipate that.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That's entirely normal.

The smaller your userbase is, the bigger your share of hardcore users will be.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
a huge amount of PCs and phones are honestly too slow for running this game,
also playing it on a touch screen is pretty awkward I think, these platforms will also have a higher "casual" ratio that probably don't spend too much with it I suppose.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Huh. So much for the narrative of mobile taking over mainstream gaming I guess? We heard a ton about PUBG and Fortnite and blah blah on mobile, I thought it was huge.

Now as an old, I do have to lol a bit at the shocked PC players. There's a reason every big mainstream genre PC series jumped to make console the lead platform in the mid 2000s as soon as it was feasible (Call of Duty, *shock, Elder Scrolls, Far Cry etc). There was a lot of gnashing of teeth at the time, including from me, but now everyone just accepts that these are console games with PC ports. Way more money on console than with the tiny niche of high end PC players.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
If anything I am more surprised the switch version was doing better than IOS. Since IOS was 7%, then switch and PC must be arounf 8%~ Android version must be almost 2~3%...
  • PlayStation 4
  • Xbox (presumably Xbox One)
  • Nintendo Switch
  • PCs
  • IOS

barksi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm legitimately shocked that PC is so low in terms of revenue...

I wonder if Rocket League's PC player base is suffering since being delisted from Steam? Although I guess many like me are still playing the Steam version they purchased previously.

This is actually very interesting question. One can guess what the number would be if the game was available on Steam.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Why is Tim not going after Sony then for a lesser than the 70/30 split fee? This whole thing sounds odd going after Apple but not consoles.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Why is Tim not going after Sony then for a lesser than the 70/30 split fee? This whole thing sounds odd going after Apple but not consoles.

Because:

A. Sony and Epic are close partners, Sony has even invested in the company multiple times so they're not likely to want to burn that bridge

B. Epic would take a massive financial hit if Sony pulled an Apple and removed the game from PSN

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I only spent money on Save the world, I regret nothing

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
This doesn't surprise me at all.

So Epic is doing all of this for 7%?

7% of their total revenue which apparently equals $700 million. If you consider that iOS takes ~33% of all IAP revenue, their actual earnings from iOS would have been $1.05 billion. Unless my EOD work brain math is totally stupid and wrong, that's a fucking huge number that they'd probably get in a fight with Apple over.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
High end PC gaming is a niche/tiny market.
True, but Fortnite can run on a toaster (and phones obviously) so it squarely fits in the larger PC market, not the high-end.

Spending habits are another matter - I've seen historical data suggesting high-end PC gaming audience is averse to microtransactions - but that doesn't really explain the above of course.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Makes you wonder if this lawsuit is worth it for Epic. The amount of company information released of what would usually be confidential is very interesting.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I remember people thinking Microsoft make a big power move with PUBG

Instead Fortnite got the PS4 all to itself and blew the fuck up lmao

Nov 8, 2017
Is there a summary of what the fuck is going on??? I have no idea what Apple and Epic are in court.

Epic implemented it's own payment processor inside of Fortnite on iOS and Android (along with offering a 20% discount if you used Epic's processor instead of Apple or Android). This was a violation of the terms of service. Apple and Google both pulled the game from their store.

Epic knew this was going to happen so they immediately released their pre-planned advertising campaign ("Free Fortnite") and legal action, like within hours.

The case against Apple and Google are different. Specifically against Apple, they are attempting to argue that they should be able to use their own payment processor and that they should be able to sell software on iOS without the use of the App store (i.e. third parties running their own app store on iOS like they can on Android). They are attempting to use anti-trust regulation to do this.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't this clear from the beginning? If they succeed, I won't be surprised they'll be coming for the console walled garden next. No way they'll give away 30% of basically 90% of their revenue. Business is business.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Epic implemented it's own payment processor inside of Fortnite on iOS and Android (along with offering a 20% discount if you used Epic's processor instead of Apple or Android). This was a violation of the terms of service. Apple and Google both pulled the game from their store.

Epic knew this was going to happen so they immediately released their pre-planned advertising campaign ("Free Fortnite") and legal action, like within hours.

The case against Apple and Google are different. Specifically against Apple, they are attempting to argue that they should be able to use their own payment processor and that they should be able to sell software on iOS without the use of the App store (i.e. third parties running their own app store on iOS like they can on Android). They are attempting to use anti-trust regulation to do this.
Oh dude, you missed one hell of a ride. Here's a good breakdown of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Games_v._Apple

I seem to remember something about Free Fortnite. Thanks for the info!

So is this a good thing for consumers? I can't really tell, ha.