• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
You're misunderstanding. "Tow package" and "max tow package" etc. are common options on ICE trucks too, and necessary to expand towing capacity from roughly 5000lbs on a class 3 hitch to a class 4 hitch, trailer brake controller, auxiliary transmission cooler, maybe larger mirrors, etc. so you can actually tow the advertised ratings of 9000-13000lbs with a half ton truck.

Ah okay, thanks for clarifying.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Then my comment wasn't directed at you. Kinda wild how everyone turns into a farmer from bumfuck Ohio at the very mention of how goofy trucks are.

Doesn't distract from the fact that the number of people that have an actual use for a truck is vanishingly small.

What is wrong with you?

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
User Banned (5 Days): Hostility over a Series of Posts; History of Hostility
What is wrong with you?
i don't know bro, what's wrong with me for being frustrated at seeing my city being ruined by an increasing number of tank-sized ford raptor 4x4 cumguzzler edition, driven by high income suburbanites for pure vanity. what is wrong with me.

everytime i see one these child-annihilators my keying hand itches

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
All the purists are giving Chevy crap for calling it the Blazer, but, honestly, I really, really like it. Hoping the release version looks just like this.
as part of a family that owned a Blazer back in the 80s/90s before they seemed to just stop making them until recently, I was ecstatic to see it was just a slightly bigger Equinox and even moreso that they were making an EV model. I honestly really would like a Blazer EV.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
They'll have to do something like that to turn heads since they'll be 2 years behind everyone else to market. The Chevy has larger range than the Ford but batteries aren't free so I expect the price to be higher accordingly.

Releasing later has its advantages. The technology is constantly evolving, and its possible they can beat their rivals on features/range/whatever for the price, and they know the numbers they need to beat.

jakeh111

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Missourah, USA
I haven't followed Ford and their pickups... but just now while looking into it..

They also have the Ford Maverick Hybrid for $20,000 (I don't know how they did it)

42mpg City.

2022-ford-maverick-lariat_100835033_h.jpg
Oh damn that's actually awesome

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
i don't know bro, what's wrong with me for being frustrated at seeing my city being ruined by an increasing number of tank-sized ford raptor 4x4 cumguzzler edition, driven by high income suburbanites for pure vanity. what is wrong with me.

everytime i see one these child-annihilators my keying hand itches
You can deflate tires like a real eco-warrior if you like but I don't see what people choose to guzzle has anything to do with what they drive.

Releasing later has its advantages. The technology is constantly evolving, and its possible they can beat their rivals on features/range/whatever for the price, and they know the numbers they need to beat.
I'll be happy to see the competition. I'm hoping for a significant jump in battery tech with increased competition and R&D money.

I'm not sure EV has what it takes currently to replace the HD market as it currently stands. The diesels have large power numbers, and are quite efficient. Enormous range and capability that often make up for large cost of entry and high maintenance costs.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Did they make the video private? I was able to see the thumbnail earlier but when I came back to watch the video is gone.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Honestly, I might actually be down for this if they just dropped their onboard crap as the base standard and offered Android Auto like my Equinox does.
it has Android auto/Apple carplay.

Outside of the crazy dealer market and impossibility of getting one, I don't think it's ready for prime time yet. Give it a few years. That goes for all EV's.
Having driven one for almost a month now, 100% disagree. It's amazing. Great truck. It rides super smooth, it's very comfortable, the ventilated seats are amazing, the range is great. I have 0 complaints so far. Other than the software could be better.

I've hauled 9 sheets of plywood, 8 foam insulation boards. A bunch if 1x2 and 1x8 walnut. Much more convenient than my minivan. Never mind you can't even get 1 sheet of plywood in a minivan.

It's a truck. It needs to be able to do work, despite 90% of people buying them to haul sports equipment for the kids and groceries.

You're misunderstanding. "Tow package" and "max tow package" etc. are common options on ICE trucks too, and necessary to expand towing capacity from roughly 5000lbs on a class 3 hitch to a class 4 hitch, trailer brake controller, auxiliary transmission cooler, maybe larger mirrors, etc. so you can actually tow the advertised ratings of 9000-13000lbs with a half ton truck.

This is my issue. I need a truck that can pull a 6000lb 26' long Airstream and not need to charge every 150 km because the infrastructure for that doesn't exist here yet. If my ice chevy can hold out another two years or so I think I'll be entering a more mature market that will have less headaches for me.
Checkout all electric family on Twitter/ YouTube. They're towing an airstream. Also was talking to a guy who's towing a 36ft 9700lbs trailer with his.

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
As someone who owns a 2021 Mach-E, I have to assume the tablet software/hardware for the upper end configuration is similar/the same. I do hate that there are no physical climate controls (I actually think multiple interactions with the screen, especially while driving, is risky), but honestly, as someone who uses CarPlay (and I assume the same for Android Auto), once that ecosystem connects and lights up, it doesn't matter to me that the Sync software itself is slow- climate controls react well enough once the software is running, and CarPlay takes care of the rest for me.

That's not to excuse the software at all, of course- can't wait to see what they do with Android Automotive- but I can't imagine there's a customer base for the Lightning that doesn't have an Android Auto/CarPlay enabled phone in their pocket too.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Checkout all electric family on Twitter/ YouTube. They're towing an airstream. Also was talking to a guy who's towing a 36ft 9700lbs trailer with his.
Will do! That is exactly the kind of apples to apples info I need. Otherwise we will be pretty limited to jumping 100ish miles a day from campground to campground, when I'd rather boondock living off of solar and just fast charge the truck here and there.

Oct 27, 2017
They also have the Ford Maverick Hybrid for $20,000 (I don't know how they did it)
Because it's not a truck per-say but rather built on Ford's generalized front wheel drive corporate platform that underpins their crossovers. You lose out on a lot of towing/off-roading potential, but that's really not who this truck is marketed towards anyways.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Because it's not a truck per-say but rather built on Ford's generalized front wheel drive corporate platform that underpins their crossovers. You lose out on a lot of towing/off-roading potential, but that's really not who this truck is marketed towards anyways.
One of my friends got one a couple months ago. It's a very smart package Ford put together and fills a market void that all auto companies abandoned. Perfect for people who want a compact truck that gets good fuel mileage, has a bed, and can handle small loads that wouldn't fit in your car.

Ram left that segment when they killed the Dakota, Ford came back with the Ranger which was still big, and the Colorado and Tacoma are huge compared to the original compact truck designs.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to electrify trucks rather than just not accommodating large cars and trucks in city infrastructure in lieu of mass transit feels like a bandage on a flesh would for Climate Change

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
If I was ever in the market for an EV truck I would go for the Rivian. Much better design and a lot of thoughtful features, and the company seems passionate about the environmental impact (the CEO is vegan). Though they fall into the same trap of a giant touchscreen with few tactile controls.

View: https://youtu.be/JN9lAJ0LiLw

I think more broadly though we need to change the mentality of many Americans in middle and southern U.S. that they need to own a truck, when the vast majority of them don't. The safety issues for other drivers alone is worth getting rid of them aside from professional uses.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to electrify trucks rather than just not accommodating large cars and trucks in city infrastructure in lieu of mass transit feels like a bandage on a flesh would for Climate Change
What's the solution for actual work trucks then? Leave them gas? Force people to buy the more expensive diesel options? Subsidize the diesel versions for companies?

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Whatever makes people to stop buying those gas guzzling trucks are good in my book. That being said, I am curious about this car. Looks great and could potentially be a great utility vehicle in areas with great EV charger coverage

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
If I was ever in the market for an EV truck I would go for the Rivian. Much better design and a lot of thoughtful features, and the company seems passionate about the environmental impact (the CEO is vegan). Though they fall into the same trap of a giant touchscreen with few tactile controls.

View: https://youtu.be/JN9lAJ0LiLw

The issue with Rivian is they're a) more expensive and b) even more hamstrung by the current world of shortages since they don't have the pull someone like Ford does to get the parts they need. The R1T is first and foremost an adventure vehicle that sits between a Tacoma and an F-150 and at its current price, it might as well be a competitor to a Model S than an actual half ton pickup truck like the F-150 Lightning.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Reviewer commenting that they can't wait to dump this truck for a new version is really concerning from an environmental position. I guess that's pretty much the only people buying most EVs at this point… tech bros and gals who want a new toy.

I mean, that's not really concerning. Someone else will buy it used and get a deal and use it for years.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The issue with Rivian is they're a) more expensive and b) even more hamstrung by the current world of shortages since they don't have the pull someone like Ford does to get the parts they need. The R1T is first and foremost an adventure vehicle that sits between a Tacoma and an F-150 and at its current price, it might as well be a competitor to a Model S than an actual half ton pickup truck like the F-150 Lightning.

Considering the markups on the Lightning I've heard about, I'm not sure the out the door price would be much different between the two.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
What's the solution for actual work trucks then? Leave them gas? Force people to buy the more expensive diesel options? Subsidize the diesel versions for companies?
Work trucks are an extreme minority of actual trucks though, nobody says they need to go, but they shouldn't be accommodated in general civilian infrastructure; incidentally work trucks don't need to be as large and heavy as the F150.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Work trucks are an extreme minority of actual trucks though, nobody says they need to go, but they shouldn't be accommodated in general civilian infrastructure; incidentally work trucks don't need to be as large and heavy as the F150.
Extreme minority? I'd love to know what the actual figures are on that. How far does not accommodating them in civilian infrastructure extend? Work trucks generally need to access work sites which can be anything from a wind turbine to a condo under renovation. What size of truck is acceptable to work with? A mid size like a Ranger or Colorado? Those are about 90% the size of a full size with about 2/3 the towing capacity.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Work trucks are an extreme minority of actual trucks though
Going to need a citation for that. Pickup trucks like the F150 are a staple for contractors, veterinarians, farriers, landscapers, etc., as well as for people who have livestock and/or crops. There are a lot of custom options to replace beds that businesses use. It's a huge part of the industry, and I seriously doubt it's an "extreme minority".

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Extreme minority? I'd love to know what the actual figures are on that. How far does not accommodating them in civilian infrastructure extend? Work trucks generally need to access work sites which can be anything from a wind turbine to a condo under renovation. What size of truck is acceptable to work with? A mid size like a Ranger or Colorado? Those are about 90% the size of a full size with about 2/3 the towing capacity.
Going to need a citation for that. Pickup trucks like the F150 are a staple for contractors, veterinarians, farriers, landscapers, etc., as well as for people who have livestock and/or crops. There are a lot of custom options to replace beds that businesses use. It's a huge part of the industry, and I seriously doubt it's an "extreme minority".
I'd be really interested in the data as well, but I would be genuinely surprised if the majority of pick-ups in the U.S. are indeed for work. "Extreme minority" is probably an exaggeration, but those industries exist elsewhere across the world while those countries' roadways aren't filled to the brim with enormous pick-ups.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be really interested in the data as well, but I would be genuinely surprised if the majority of pick-ups in the U.S. are indeed for work. "Extreme minority" is probably an exaggeration, but those industries exist elsewhere across the world while those countries' roadways aren't filled to the brim with enormous pick-ups.
It certainly isn't the majority that are used for work, but there are literally millions of trucks on the road that are. Europe is full of work vans, and commercial vans and pickups can have similar footprints, and the global version of the Ranger and Tacoma aren't far off the North American size at all, which in turn aren't far off from a full size.

Something to keep in mind is there are differences in building materials in North America as well, and full size pickups accommodate sheet goods between the wheel wells. It can be done in smaller trucks but you need tall dunnage. Trailering works better but a lot of people are terrible at it, and site access can be poor.

This can all change of course, but it would definitely take government intervention to force industry to change.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

Chippewa Barr