• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Thread title is a bit misleading. US will vote to waive IPs which can still be blocked by others

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
The IP is not the main problem to Brazil and many others countries... it is the shortages of vital components to make the vaccine.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
India's the world's largest vaccine producer. What does this change for them?
Waiving IPs will do very little in real terms (especially the mRNA). By the time supply chains are up and running there will be more than enough vaccines for the planet.

US stopping domestic companies from exporting raw materials is the biggest issue at the moment

Nov 2, 2017
The IP is not the main problem to Brazil and many others countries... it is the shortages of vital components to make the vaccine.

There are several hurdles, waiving the IP isn't going to suddenly solve all the problems, but none of the problems are even going to begin to get solved so long as the IP hurdle remains. The IP waiver is necessary but not sufficient for increasing global protection against covid.

Mar 3, 2018
Could someone educate me on this, I assumed the IP belongs to the pharmaceutical manufacturer or no? Like, Does this mean that if this goes through then anyone can make Pfizer's vaccine without having to pay them?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
It's worth noting that due to WTO rules depending on consensus every country needs to agree for this to be agreed.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Not really. Our problem isn't IP. We already have the licensing rights for two vaccines (Covishield and the indigenously-developed Covaxin). It's a manufacturing issue. The largest manufacturer in India is the Serum Institute. But it didn't get any funding from the government last year, and had to rely on its own investment to manufacture the vaccines. So it could not establish extra manufacturing facilities to ramp up production in proportion to India's population. We have roughly 150 million vaccinated. That's half of the U.S Population. But Indian population is 1400 million. So it's a drop in the bucket.

Now the government has given an advance to the Serum Institute to expand manufacturing. But that will take time, of course.

EDIT: Also, we exported 66 million doses to neighboring countries under a "vaccine friendship" programme when the government believed that Covid was a solved problem and vaccination in India could take its time.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Could someone educate me on this, I assumed the IP belongs to the pharmaceutical manufacturer or no? Like, Does this mean that if this goes through then anyone can make Pfizer's vaccine without having to pay them?
IP only exists because Governments write laws to support their existence; they are artificial, not intrinsic. They can also make exceptions, many of which exist for all sorts of things already.

Nov 2, 2017
I want to see the details, specifically because from the way this is being outlined this is not the US supporting the TRIPS waiver, which suggests they're trying to limit the scope of the IP waiver beyond what is necessary to actually open up vaccine manufacturing.

I'm very skeptical for reasons that I'll defer to Adam Johnson of Citations Needed:

Grym

Oct 27, 2017

Yes. The issue being the vaccine components/compounds and getting the production/supply facilities up and running. By the time that happens Pfizer/Moderna will have created enough vaccine for the world I assume

EDIT - Also if I can get a booster shot made by Pfizer vs. an identical booster shot made by Ffisser, I'm gonna choose the former.

Mar 3, 2018
Yes. The issue being the vaccine components/compounds and getting the production/supply facilities up and running. By the time that happens Pfizer/Moderna will have created enough vaccine for the world I assume

IP only exists because Governments write laws to support their existence; they are artificial, not intrinsic. They can also make exceptions, many of which exist for all sorts of things already.

I see. I have no knowledge about how any of this works, so I was mainly curious what a company like Pfizer has to say in all of this. Like, it's safe to assume they spent millions on the research and the facilities to produce the vaccine. At the end of the day they want to recoup that money, so would they have a say in such a thing, the IP of their product being available to everyone?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I see. I have no knowledge about how any of this works, so I was mainly curious what a company like Pfizer has to say in all of this. Like, it's safe to assume they spent millions on the research and the facilities to produce the vaccine. At the end of the day they want to recoup that money, so would they have a say in such a thing, the IP of their product being available to everyone?
There's nothing they can say, because the IP laws contain these powers for governments to use. They just aren't used often, or ever really. If it does get abused, it can either turn companies away from R&D or it can cause them to ask for more money up front to try to recoup costs/maximize profits before the patent is yanked form under them.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Anything for more vaccine production. Covid needs to end already.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Yes. Publicly available patent documents should give enough information on how to manufacture the vaccines, it's only legal protections preventing others from doing so. There could be things like trade secretes with some of them though.

They won't be happy but if this is passed there's nothing they can do about it.
Imo governments should have just purchased the IP instead of giving monopoly rights with these vaccines.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Attempted Off Topic Thread Derail
But benevolent billionaire and friend of Jeffrey Epstein Bill Gates said this is a bad idea...

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Good, now how about you waive the export bans on vaccines/vaccine materials/production utensils that has severly impacted the internation vaccination campaign.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
But benevolent billionaire and friend of Jeffrey Epstein Bill Gates said this is a bad idea...
It remains a bad idea without guaranteeing the infrastructure to make the vaccine and principally it's components properly and safely. The fact that we still have diseases worldwide that we've had vaccines for for decades and are now patent-less shows that IP alone is a very minor stumbling block on the whole.

Last edited:

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
This could be one of the biggest steps to end COVID in the vast majority of the world's poor countries and if you're against any steps towards the goal of waiving vaccine patents you genuinely don't care about the lives of people in the global South and you should reevaluate your beliefs. Let's hope we finally get some responsible wrangling of vaccine IP going on this planet and also hope it's only one step of many towards treating nations of the world compassionately instead of strictly exploitatively.

It remains a bad idea without guaranteeing the infrastructure to make the vaccine and principally it's components properly and safely.

It's a vaccine not a nuclear bomb. Even significantly less wealthy countries than the US or China or those in Europe have capabilities to manufacture vaccines. Any special considerations towards making this particular vaccine in more countries can be figured out once we lift the protections against spreading the knowledge to make them. At the moment, the vaccine outlook in much of the world is nil. I'd prefer if more regions could feasibly plan around being able to manufacture and supply people with vaccines which this is a large part of.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

EDIT - Also if I can get a booster shot made by Pfizer vs. an identical booster shot made by Ffisser, I'm gonna choose the former.

Your edit is what some of the manufacturers are concerned about and why they prefer licensing over selling IP. That Ffisser will not have as strong safety requirements, botch it, and the blame in people's minds will be with Pfizer than invented it, not Ffisser that actually made it.

Oct 25, 2017
This could be one of the biggest steps to end COVID in the vast majority of the world's poor countries and if you're against any steps towards the goal of waiving vaccine patents you genuinely don't care about the lives of people in the global South and you should reevaluate your beliefs. Let's hope we finally get some responsible wrangling of vaccine IP going on this planet and also hope it's only one step of many towards treating nations of the world compassionately instead of strictly exploitatively.
This is probably a pretty minor step in the short run. We need orders of magnitude change, not a shift of 10-20%. The entire global production of the underlying supplies is mostly being used.

Opening up vaccine IP in the past didn't really do shit for eradication of their related diseases on its own.

Last edited:

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't Gates reasoning because without the proper facilities and protections in place other variants of these vaccines may seem "trust" worthy but untested and potentially dangerous?

Not saying he is right though.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
This will change very little. As the problem isn't scaling up vaccine production but raw material production waving IPs for vaccines will do very little.

It's nice for SA or others to have their own vaccine production but in real world terms they'll just get outbid by western countries for the necessary materials.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I always hate the infrastructure reasoning as to why this is a bad idea. Last time I checked, Baltimore was in the USA and they fucked up royally so why should we not let other places try? I feel like the people against the waiving of patents make it sound like every lab in the third world is the equivalent of a suburban soccer moms kitchen in terms of regulation.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Well now that big joey biden is on board with this I am formally taking back everything I said justifying the WHO, COVAX, and GAVI's position on this. The past is alterable. I support this waiver. I was supporting this waiver. I have always been in support of this waiver.

IxvmSA.png

.. yes this is cannibalism

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Gates reasoning because without the proper facilities and protections in place other variants of these vaccines may seem "trust" worthy but untested and potentially dangerous?

Not saying he is right though.
That reasoning reeks of "these poor countries are too stupid to use this information and technology".

It should be left to the judgement of each country's regulators and how they decide to proceed, not an American billionaire.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Thanks, Biden! This is very unexpected tbh but I am glad. The US can be a force of unimaginable good for the world when they actually put people over profit.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
That reasoning reeks of "these poor countries are too stupid to use this information and technology".

It should be left to the judgement of each country's regulators and how they decide to proceed, not an American billionaire.

yes but if a company makes Pfizer and fucks up, will the headlines say company's version of Pfizer fucked up or Pfizer fucked up?

under licensing, at least then the company responsible for licensing it out can monitor and take blame for any fuckups.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
It remains a bad idea without guaranteeing the infrastructure to make the vaccine and principally it's components properly and safely. The fact that we still have diseases worldwide that we've had vaccines for for decades and are now patent-less shows that IP alone is a very minor stumbling block on the whole.

Most vaccines aren't even produced in the first world lol This is a really bad excuse to not allow this to happen. Many developing countries like India, Mexico, Argentina, South Africa, etc have modern enough installations public and private to produce safe vaccines. You are suggesting poorer countries aren't smart enough, as if endemic diseases arent more complicated to erradicate than what you are suggesting (or as if many of the examples you are probably thinking about arent still a thing in the first world).

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It's not up to him though, he was expressing his opinion.

The reasoning does reek of that a bit for sure. However if the companies who decide to try and make their version rush it out or don't have the safety standards and a bunch of people die thats not great either. People are apprehensive of vaccines as is.

That said opening up the IP is good, however I believe they should make sure that if someone makes a version of the Phizer vaccine thats shit and dangerous, Phizer can't be held liable for it.

that said I think Phizer should be doing this anyways and if they are worried about their image do something like "No licensing fee but you have to have one of us come out and do a quality check on it to make sure its up to the standards"

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
It's the right thing to do. In a pandemic, the public health of everybody is the business of everyone.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
Bad week for Gates

Also, this is unambigously good even if it won't make a "big" difference, which it will. A "small" change for the good is better than no change at all, specially during a fucking pandemic.

Last edited: