• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Better DMC Game?

• DMC3:SE

Votes: 287 48.2%
  • DMC5

Votes: 309 51.8%

• Total voters

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
We have waited over 10 years for Devil May Cry 5, and it's safe to say that it lived up to expectations. The game is one of the best released in an incredible year, and seems to cement the sentiment that Capcom is Back. However, is it better than the previous best game in the series?

I personally think that the combat system in DMC5 is better than DMC3, but DMC3 has better level design, and many more memorable locations. Boss fights are pretty even between the two, since they both have some high highs (Vergil 3, M19 Vergil, Agni & Rudra, King Cerberus) and some middling encounters (Gilgamesh, Nidhogg, Leviathan Heart, Gigapede) and in general are pretty good.

What are your thoughts on this, DMC-Era?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not good enough at either to make that call but I will say that DMC3's aesthetic is leaps and bounds better. I don't like how organic and gross the DMC5 maps are.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dmc5 is just barely perfect dmc game, dmc5se will be the definitive tho, all dmc5 needs is playable vergil maybe a new 5 missions arc.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I have lots of respect for DMC3 but I absolutely love Nero and I think he is such a refreshing and great addition to DMC lore that it shoots up in my appreciation of the game.

But to be fair I never truly enjoyed DMC3's tower and the fact I had to climb it again.

DMC5 has some things I didn't enjoy but it was such a pleasure to play 99% of the time. I'm gonna buy it again on steam

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Dante's gameplay in 3 is really difficult to go back to after 4 and 5

The Bloody Palace is annoying for me to play just because I can't change weapons/styles.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
DMC5's combat is fucking ACE. Like maybe the best combat system ever in a character action game. But its biggest blemish is the nonexistent level design.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
5. Best action combat system ever created, no equal.

Nero is the best character in the series and Exceed is the best mechanic in the series.

I like the "no bullshit" level design of DMC5 more. Clearing out room after room, none of the extra stuff.

Dante is at his peak in DMC5 in terms of moves and abilities and is absolutely ridiculous.

V is cool(but fucking trash on higher difficulties)

But really, Nero is the fucking best.

CherryIcee

Feb 6, 2018
Even though the combat is better in DMC5, I enjoy the story a lot more in 3. Besides the last mission, the last 30~40% of 5 was kinda bad from a mission/story standpoint.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DMC5's combat is fucking ACE. Like maybe the best combat system ever in a character action game. But its biggest blemish is the nonexistent level design.

The level design is one of the best things about it. It's perfect for replaying the game.

No bullshit gimmicks, platforming, mini games, running around or puzzles that waste your time. It's pure action.

It's basically bloody palace in campaign form, which is what I've always wanted.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
DMC3 is one of my all-time favorite games, but I've yet to play DMC5 (or DMC4, for that matter), but just the fact that you even asked this question has me extremely excited to play DMC5 now!

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The level design is one of the best things about it. It's perfect for replaying the game.

No bullshit gimmicks, platforming, mini games, running around or puzzles that waste your time. It's pure action.

It's basically bloody palace in campaign form, which is what I've always wanted.

The blood palace already exists. If anything it made replaying the game less enjoyable that it could have been for me because there's no variation whatsoever.

it's compounded by the later levels which all look exactly the same.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry 5 is basically THE character action game. Masterclass in game design.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The blood palace already exists. If anything it made replaying the game less enjoyable that it could have been for me because there's no variation whatsoever.

it's compounded by the later levels which all look exactly the same.

And it was the best part of DMC4. Just like mercenaries was the best part of RE6. It lets the combat shine.

The removal of puzzles, platforming and other wastes of time was as per fan requests. So glad they listened.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
5 for sure, Im sorry but Nero is my favorite character since 4 but I go back to DMC 3 and replay it every time I re purchase the collection and its always amazing (lost count of how many times ive beaten 3/bloody palace in 3 still has the best structure I think). But DMC is a very iterative franchise/genre so it makes sense.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
5. Stronger enemy lineup overall and relative push as far as boss fights, maybe the edge to 3. Better bloody palace, Dante is a far deeper character kit, Nero is a deep character kit, and V is a better way of doing change of pace stuff than usual action game idiocy.

3 has a more consistent plot n sense of momentum and QOL in terms of less load times, but 5 is way funner to get good at.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
5 for sure, Im sorry but Nero is my favorite character since 4 but I go back to DMC 3 and replay it every time I re purchase the collection and its always amazing (lost count of how many times ive beaten 3/bloody palace in 3 still has the best structure I think). But DMC is a very iterative franchise/genre so it makes sense.
Hell no.

4 got the best Bloody palace. None of the randomness of 3, more stricter n challenging than 5 tho limited by its enemy roster just a tad.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Imagine once the SE comes out and they add tons of QoL changes( less loading screens before the mission starts/instant mission restart etc). Won't even be a question.

Easily 3 for me.
I love both Dante and Vergil's design.
Lady is a wonderful badass character.
Every scene with Jester is hilarious.
The story moved me, especially the ending. There is so much potential hidden in it. While I have a lot to criticise, it is wonderul staged and still better than every other game of the series.
Sadly 5 tore down everything I loved about DMC. Vergil was dirtied in my eyes, Dante acts like an asshole, and my hope for Lady's honor being restored after 4 was crushed.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
DMC5 feels like a game catered towards series diehards, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but as someone who wasn't self-motivated enough to delve into the core of its combat, I found it to be mind numbingly boring. It was lean to the point where it offered nothing else other than engaging with its admittedly polished combat engine. Even when it did try to add some half-baked platforming or puzzle solving, they felt like an afterthought than organically devised.

So while it seems like the perfect game for people who have been invested in the series for years now, I couldn't help but feel there was a better way to evolve the series rather than resorting to what's tried and true.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Imagine once the SE comes out and they add tons of QoL changes( less loading screens before the mission starts/instant mission restart etc). Won't even be a question.
The real kicker will be if SE can also tweak high level stuff. At the least give full proper mode support by giving players access to the re engine and source code.

then DMC5 community edition can be some other worldly shit.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
I played through DMC 1 - 5 for the first time this year. Easy for me to say DMC5 is the best of the bunch, and the only game throughout that I was having fun nearly the entire time.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Hell no.

4 got the best Bloody palace. None of the randomness of 3, more stricter n challenging than 5 tho limited by its enemy roster just a tad.
Kinda like not knowing what im getting in BP, also like the 3 element system because I just got bored knowing exactly what im getting every floor plus DMC 4's Bloody Palace just felt impossible and im pretty good at DMC (5's BP kinda easy tho).
DMC5 is great. But DMC3 is a masterpiece.
Masterpiece for the time* Itsuno has learned alot in 14 years.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Can I pick the first half of DMCV? DMCV's second half is not good. It takes place entirely in that stupid tree. It's boring and unimaginative. That said, the boss fights remain great.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
5 overall, but I still admire 3 more for what it did for the series. 5 was a perfection of the formula, 3 invented the formula.

3 had the better Vergil fight(s).

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
DMC3's extremely limited enemy design alone makes it unplayable for me nowadays. Not even the Style Switcher mod can save it for me. Throw in all the amazing gameplay systems that expands how Dante and Nero play to a ridiculous degree along with the most mechanically dense weapons the series has ever seen, it's no contest.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I pick the first half of DMCV? DMCV's second half is not good. It takes place entirely in that stupid tree. It's boring and unimaginative. That said, the boss fights remain great.

Barely a quarter of the missions take place inside the tree though.

Missions 1 to 10 = 2 missions inside tree
Missions 11 to 20 = 4 missions inside tree

Oct 28, 2017
I was asking this same question to myself this morning. I haven't played 5 yet, but I have played every other.

I will say, however, that if Era believes 4 is anywhere close to as good as 3, I cannot take it's consensus seriously. Nero is great in 4, but the absolutely terrible reimagining of the Stinger for Dante ruins the entire game for me. Backtracking doesn't bother me as much.

Also, Agni and Rudra are the original Ornstein and Smough. That just dawned on me and has to count for something.

Oct 26, 2017
Devil May Cry 5 level design is atrocious, and the writing is terri-bad. I'd rather they left Vergil gone, because the version we got in DMC5 was like a cartoon character of himself.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I was asking this same question to myself this morning. I haven't played 5 yet, but I have played every other.

I will say, however, that if Era believes 4 is anywhere close to as good as 3, I cannot take it's consensus seriously. Nero is great in 4, but the absolutely terrible reimagining of the Stinger for Dante ruins the entire game for me. Backtracking doesn't bother me as much.
What's wrong with the stinger in 4?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
DMC3 was much stronger overall because it was awesome pretty much all the time. Playing as V is some fucking bullshit in DMC5.