• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
oVOWGNO.jpg

Yet that picture masks a key fact about the geography of family in the United States: The typical adult lives only 18 miles from his or her mother, according to an Upshot analysis of data from a comprehensive survey of older Americans. Over the last few decades, Americans have become less mobile, and most adults – especially those with less education or lower incomes — do not venture far from their hometowns.

The data reveal a country of close-knit families, with members of multiple generations leaning on one another for financial and practical support. The trend will continue, social scientists say, as baby boomers need more care in old age, and the growing number of two-income families seek help with child care.

The United States offers less government help for caregiving than many other rich countries. Instead, extended families are providing it, whether they never moved apart, or moved back closer when the need arose.

Over all, the median distance Americans live from their mother is 18 miles, and only 20 percent live more than a couple of hours' drive from their parents. (Researchers often study the distance from mothers because they are more likely to be caregivers and to live longer than men.)

To some extent, people's proximity to their parents is a reflection of opportunity: The biggest determinants of how far people venture from home are education and income. Those with college and professional degrees are much more likely to live farther from their parents than those with a high school education, in part because they have more job opportunities in big cities, and especially if spouses are juggling the career aspirations of two professionals.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/24/upshot/24up-family.html?smid=tw-share

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
seems about right. i'm about 60 miles from mine.

wonder what its like in other countries since living with your folks post school seems more common

Jan 15, 2019
That's not terribly surprising. I'd estimate at least 80% of the people I graduated high school with are 45 minutes away from their parents at most.

Edit- I'm an outlier I guess. I'm about 2,600 miles from my parents.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Wife's case: yes
Mine: Nope. About 134 miles

We're over at her parents normally Friday and Sunday night for dinners.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
6k miles here

i guess being close is great if you're really tight with your family but i couldnt do that lol

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I guess I wonder how this works for other countries, but is it that surprising when so much of our population is concentrated in relatively few big cities?

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Currently living 2,000 miles from my mom. Not even going to lie- it kind of sucks. My mom and I are close. Dunno if that makes me uncool or something but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's the truth.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
That's...maybe not that surprising, I guess. But way too close, I couldn't do it.

I'm 522 miles from my parents. 424 for in-laws.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 120ish miles away from my folks, I'd like to get further away, not because of my parents or anything, but just because of the opportunities available to me here, which feel somewhat limited being so close

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
It's a solid 3hr drive to see my mom. Far over 18mi

I wish she was closer, but eh, life is still good

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, 10 miles if that for me. I plan to take care of my parents as they get older, and at the same time it's nice to know that if everything goes to complete shit I at least know I have a room and bed with AC I can always stay at

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I live like 300 miles away from my mom, but 60 feet away from my girlfriend's mom so maybe it evens out

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
32 miles here. Is this a statistic that people elsewhere in the world treat as scary and sad? Like you're supposed to go far away from your family just because?

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
My sister and her husband bought a house two miles away from my parents. And me and my other sister when we buy houses will get them close to them as well. Free daycare (my mom was a homemaker) is really great.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Me and the wife are more than 300 miles away from either, we feel it every time we want to visit or consider future babysitting/childcare needs.

We just blame our home state for sucking.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I´m an ocean and a continent away from my family :(
My wife´s folks live only a few minutes away though.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
5 miles. It's an enormous help to have someone close available for regular childcare. And my mother and I have a close relationship, so its nice to be near.

Now my wife, she's about 1,000 miles from her parents, so there's that.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine is about a 150 miles away in an entirely different state... but she wants to move closer to me since she's getting older.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what averages are for other countries. Interesting statistic I suppose but... I guess it just seems unexceptional?