• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I love classic CONGRATURATIONs and FEEL ASLEEP!!

Please post your favorites here and let's all have a nice laugh and smile.

hqdefault.jpg

this thread desinded by perpetuallyawake

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gEE1lzy.jpg

It's been 23 years and this is still in the current ports of the game.

They fixed "this guy are sick" for some reason, though.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
gEE1lzy.jpg

I wonder how many people got Tail Laser'd from that. I know I did! "Attack while it's[sic] tail's up!" Okay!

If you want to be extremely generous, this could be seen as a hint that Cloud may not be the professional SOLDIER he claims to be. You'd think they have better battle communication discipline, at least. Something like "Wait! If you attack while its tail is up, it'll counter with a laser!"

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
gQqETR5.png

Harvest Moon is full of them but this, to me, is classic. I think about "do garden forever" constantly.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I wonder how many people got Tail Laser'd from that. I know I did! "Attack while it's[sic] tail's up!" Okay!

If you want to be extremely generous, this could be seen as a hint that Cloud may not be the professional SOLDIER he claims to be. You'd think they have better battle communication discipline, at least. Something like "Wait! If you attack while its tail is up, it'll counter with a laser!"

Yeah, the only problem (apart from the typo) is that they used an exclamation point, when they should've used an ellipsis to connect it to the next line.
"Attack while its tail's up...and it's gonna counterattack with its laser!"

The Japanese is correct, so it's not hinting at Cloud's lack of professionalism.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
images

Resume (game) = work history = curriculum vitae. This is not the first time I see it either.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
The Spanish dub of the Halo PC port features "Salido" (Horny, masculine), instead of "Salir" (Exit, to Exit) or "Salida" (exit, noun femenine)

Also, the spanish dub of Final Fantasy VII would deserve its own thread, with gems such as calling the Cetra or Ancient "Ancianos" (Elderlies) instead of "Antiguos" (which would be a more suitable translation). It's such a glorious trainwreck.

Plus, any of the european translations for all Shantae games save for the Seven Sirens. European languages were translated via Google translate or a similar service, and they are basically broken, with quest items being constantly translated differently throughout the game, literal translations that make no sense or with characters being constantly addressed by different gender.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Phantasia (GBA) translated the Japanese original Ragnarok with Kangaroo when localizing into English, possibly because Kangaroo the word Microsoft Office suggested you replace Ragnarok with after performing a spell check.

tales-of-phantasia-kangaroo-ragnarok.png

BordyDogue

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
The Pokemon move Slam was translated to Spanish as "Portazo", as in slamming a door shut, which wasn't changed until X&Y

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I love these so much 😁 That Grandia one had me howling

From Bloody Wolf/Battle Rangers:

battle-rangers-001.png

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
In the French version Sea of Thieves, the sentence "Xbox game studios and Rare present Sea of Thieves" has been translated as "Xbox game studios et Rare cadeau Sea of Thieves".

Literally "Xbox game studios and Rare gift Sea of Thieves"

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
gEE1lzy.jpg

But this is not an translation error (or typo). It is just poorly paced because the next line is "It's gonna counter attack with its laser!". I agree that it's very misleading but def. not an translation error. That there is no " at the end even indicates that the line isn't done but yeah... since usually most people have not already adjusted their text speed here, it's very unfortunate at least.