• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Were you aware about this?

• Yup

Votes: 476 64.9%
  • Nope

Votes: 103 14.1%
  • Seriously, what the fuck

Votes: 136 18.6%
  • Doesn't work for me :c

Votes: 18 2.5%

• Total voters

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It is also useful to make you own shortcuts

5f3d604042f43f001ddfdd2f

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've known about it for years, but I definitely remember the first time learning about it being a fucking revelatory experience. I don't really blame people for not knowing, it's not a super well publicized trick

Nov 5, 2017
Holy fuck. That's a game changer for me. I always make a mistake so I'll try and tap where I want the cursor to go. 95% of the time, it doesn't work. This is great. Thank you!

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every few years, especially after I get a new phone, I look up new and neat stuff you can do on Android so I've known about this for a while now.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
I was today years old...

...honestly had no idea and now it's a game changer. Text game is about to manifest greatness!!

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this thread gets made like once a year. It's been a thing on iOS since 3d touch. The double and triple tap on the back of the iPhone shortcuts was more mind blowing to me.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AAAAAAAAAAYHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AAAAAAAAAAYHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AAAAAAAAAAYHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people also don't know you can tap the top edge of the screen to scroll to the top.

Worked with mobile devs who didn't even know that đŸ˜‚

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah it's been on third party keyboards and android devices for ages now. I think iOS added it a year or 2 ago.
Edit: Seems like it's been there for a while now. Ah well, I had been using SwiftKey for a while until iOS added swiping and this feature.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Someone posted the tip (I think here or at the old place) for iPhones and then I tried it and realized that my Android phone supported it too.

Yeah it's been on third party keyboards and android devices for ages now. I think iOS added it a year or 2 ago.

Oh, if it was that recently added to iPhone then I saw it here.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
A couple years ago I enabled that on my moms phone. Got tired of sending texts for her while she was driving and having to go to the period manually, so I dug through the settings and enabled it.

I've personally been using it probably for like 5 or 6 years now on iOS. Super handy

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
This thread title reads as a "1 simple trick" advertisement.

Also, yes, I do use the space bar as a cursor.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I learned this the day I switched to iPhone from Android in 2019. I dunno if Android (using Google Keyboard) did it prior to that, but it was one of the first things I learned on my first day as an iPhone user lol.

I think it has to be enabled in the settings but double-tapping space bar will create a period so you can end sentences quickly while typing too (or, like I said, the option to toggle this on exists somewhere).

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Knew it, and it is still terrible to move the cursor a single space. It either brings up the language settings or moves more than one space.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks for anyone just finding out about something thats been pretty key to navigating on iOS for the last 8 or so years but also good now you know. Im shocked this is like a thing that is unknown.

It used to work if you pressed down anywhere on the keyboard. I wonder why they changed it to only limit to the space bar. I thought they removed the feature because of that.

When they removed force touch I believe it was, it could have been 3D Touch whichever was the first one where we got the secondary level of tap input is when it first started. Then when you couldn't press in and measure pressure they moved it to a spacebar long press

Edit looked it up.

So it was 3D Touch on iPhone when we got to iPhone 11 it was discontinued thats when the cursor was moved to the spacebar only. It was better when we had 3D Touch tbh. SO yeah its going on 8 years old and started back with the iPhone 6s

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure this has never been a thing in any of my phones. My current phone just asks me to change the language of the keyboard.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
What the shit...omfg it actually works.

The fuck didn't you nerds tell me this years ago!?!

javac

Oct 28, 2017
imagine typing on a phone for the last 5+ years and not knowing this, condolences to everyone

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I feel really sorry for the people that didn't know about that.
Moving the cursor with fingers inside the textfield is the worst.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
JFC I had no idea. I'm always moaning about a lack of cursor keys. Serious life hack. Thank you OP.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Sucks for anyone just finding out about something thats been pretty key to navigating on iOS for the last 8 or so years but also good now you know. Im shocked this is like a thing that is unknown.

When they removed force touch I believe it was, it could have been 3D Touch whichever was the first one where we got the secondary level of tap input is when it first started. Then when you couldn't press in and measure pressure they moved it to a spacebar long press

Edit looked it up.

So it was 3D Touch on iPhone when we got to iPhone 11 it was discontinued thats when the cursor was moved to the spacebar only. It was better when we had 3D Touch tbh. SO yeah its going on 8 years old and started back with the iPhone 6s

Makes sense, RIP 3D touch. I recall before that it was 2 finger swipe on keyboard which also no longer works?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just testing it but I don't know what keyboard I have on Android...

Ok it works but only left right and I only have space on my screen to scroll a few characters at a time...

Edit - I have Gboard

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
It's a setting on many Android keyboards. It's not always turned on by default though.