• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
that doesn't mean that the Zack in Crisis Core will be the same one in Remake because SPOILERS FOR REMAKE PART 1 while Zack is dead before the beginning of OG FFVII, Zack is shown to be alive in another continuity in the Remake. They are clearly making some big changes here.
This is basically why I think Dirge of Cerberus will come too. I'm imagining a situation where Vincent is similarly to Aerith, aware of what is going on, and he might be teased in part 2, ready to play a bigger role in part 3.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's a shame they didn't keep Rick Gomez. Thought he was great as Zack in both stuff like Crisis Core and his cameo in KH: Birth by Sleep.

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
I was wondering about this earlier. Monkey's paw: new localization, but might lose Rick Gomez in the process. Gomez gave such a fantastic performance as Zack in the English dub. The new English FFVIIR cast has mostly been really strong (Cloud, Tifa, Red, and Yuffie are now my favorite versions of the characters in either Japanese or English), but yeah, definitely miss Gomez. Ditto to George Newbern's Sephiroth, he did great work in CC.

I don't mind the new Sephiroth's performance, but I miss Superman!Sephiroth.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the game back then, tho' I don't think I would really enjoy its gameplay nowadays, if this is only a simple remaster.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Considering the connection to the FF7 Remake this release makes sense. Even if it's pretty dumb that a like half of these platforms still can't play the FF7 Remake.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I dunno, Remake's Sephiroth voice feels more appropriate to that character than the Advent Children one.

Remake talks like an aloof alien, which was at least the same impression that the original one gave me.

The real litmus will be the performance of pre-nutso Sephiroth, if it sounds any different

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's fine, but not everyone was around when the game came out in 1997. ;) There's a ton of new people who experience the FF7 story for the first time.

FF7R by its design assumes you already played FF7, the entire final 3 hours makes basically zero sense if you haven't already played the original

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
FF7R by its design assumes you already played FF7, the entire final 3 hours makes basically zero sense if you haven't already played the original
Square Enix was smart enough not to advertise that because I can guarantee you that many many young people play FF7 for the first time now. You can enjoy the game and let those references pass without a big detriment.
Also, I had played the OG FF7 and the last 3 hours didn't make sense to me anyway, until I watched a podcast. :P

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm inclined to agree.

There is a but for me, though - you really had to be there in the mid PSP days to truly understand how amazing the game was presentation-wise. The bite sized missions were clearly meant for portables, too

I felt like CC was almost good, however I also felt like the game was largely forgettable - especially in the realm of combat - until it got to the latter part of the game and you start to sync up with the Nibelheim incident. Don't think Square had got their live action RPG combat down fully back then, certainly not on a portable.

For a PSP game at a production value level though, pretty peerless.

pyxl_8

Oct 27, 2017
I recently started Crisis Core again on my Steam Deck and it's much worse than I remembered. The roulette shit was always stupid but I seemed to have forgotten how terrible everything else was. It's extremely sterile and moves at an excruciating pace.

Thankfully, though, I think the tweet is just referencing FF7R for all platforms. I don't want them wasting any effort to revive this awful game.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I recently started Crisis Core again on my Steam Deck and it's much worse than I remembered. The roulette shit was always stupid but I seemed to have forgotten how terrible everything else was. It's extremely sterile and moves at an excruciating pace.

Thankfully, though, I think the tweet is just referencing FF7R for all platforms. I don't want them wasting any effort to revive this awful game.

I feel if that's what they were referencing, the PS colors wouldn't be there. I also doubt it'll come to Switch, even as a cloud game, since those KH cloud versions were apparently pretty shit and I can't imagine sold much

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
because they are two separate things. Crisis Core is a prequel to the OG VII not Remake. like I told you, Remake is technically a sequel to the Compilation we already have. changing stuff from Crisis Core would affect the OG and not the Remake.

What Remake is doing retelling the story of the first game with major changes from what the base game is. The reason I assume they are remastering Crisis Core is because Zack is a character that will play a major role in Remake and the best way to get acquainted to what his history is like is to play the game that features himself.

that doesn't mean that the Zack in Crisis Core will be the same one in Remake because SPOILERS FOR REMAKE PART 1 while Zack is dead before the beginning of OG FFVII, Zack is shown to be alive in another continuity in the Remake. They are clearly making some big changes here.
Wasn't there an interview with… I can't remember who but he said Part 2 won't deviate from the original FF7 like Part 1 did?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Wasn't there an interview with… I can't remember who but he said Part 2 won't deviate from the original FF7 like Part 1 did?
iirc the translation was 'do not expect the story of FFVII to not continue as before', or something

Which to me is a statement pretty open to some interpretation, in that they could just be describing things like Rufus' parade, temple of the ancients, but also allowing for the possibility of stuff to go off the rails as well

Basically I'm expecting the other games to include a smattering of 'greatest hits' of FFVII while having lots of weird shit also because that is the expectation that ending of the first game is setting up for

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I just started a replay of VII, and this time I'm talking to all the NPCs and it's amazing how layered the story is, even with that crummy translation. The remake does a great job of expanding those existing plot points.

Z'ard

"This guy are sick"
Mar 5, 2019
Ukraine
Doesn't make any sence to me, just give me ff7r2 asap, why waste time on remaster when you already develop ever crysis.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Doesn't make any sence to me, just give me ff7r2 asap, why waste time on remaster when you already develop ever crysis.

We probably have at least 2 more years before we realistically get Part 2. You ain't getting it ASAP and a remaster of this nature probably won't be handled by the main team anyway

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

In all likelihood, a different team would tackle a remaster.

I'd love if a remaster or reimagination got announced, definitely day one for me. Loved CC and there were a lot of onions getting chopped in my home during the ending.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I can't find the interview but I remember hearing in 2020 that Nomura and I think Kitase had met to discuss how they could support the VII remake series with other projects.

Essentially how do they avoid the situation XIII hit where people lost interest with each game.

I'm sure Intergrade, Crisis Core HD and Ever Crisis are all being developed to help keep VII Remake in peoples minds to help boost sales. Again, that's why I wouldn't be shocked to see Dirge of Cerberus and maybe even a remaster of the original game in between parts 2 and 3.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
This might blow your mind, but this remaster is most likely being done by a different team or developer which will have zero impact on the development of remake part 2.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018

Interesting.

Thing is, I'm not sure how that's possible, seeing as how
Zack is alive and well.

I think the implication of that alone can lead to all sorts of major deviations.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting.

Zack is alive and well.

I think the implication of that alone can lead to all sorts of major deviations.

It can be technically true, and part 3 or 4 is where we'll see consequences of that twist in part 1.

Scuttlefluff

Oct 28, 2017
I loved this game but…does it hold up? I remember there being a REALLY bad stealth section for example.

"The gift of the goddess…"

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
What if it's a PS+ Premium release? Would be a big deal for the service as CC has never been available digitally

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
What if it's a PS+ Premium release? Would be a big deal for the service as CC has never been available digitally
The colours on The Snitch's post probably represent multi platform.

SE like to do higher quality remasters that they can charge for. I don't expect SE to support the PS1/PSP Classics scheme except maybe for poo poo trash games, like Chocobo Racing

Last edited:

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's the best game Tabata's team ever made, but the bar is so low I would tame expectations for those who've never played it.

Let's see the prices and platforms...

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
You're right I'm sorry. Edited.

tom-and-jerry-mad.gif

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If this is announced, when will that be exactly, is there a Square event today? What time?

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Interesting.

Zack is alive and well.

Current leading speculation is that
Zack is alive in another timeline, not theirs.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
Current leading speculation is that
Zack is alive in another timeline, not theirs.

Oh I see.

FF7 Remake was a game I just played once, a bit on PC, then kinda just left it there. Didn't really delve too much into the theory side of things or talk about it much since I moved onto other games quite quickly.

That's the leading speculation huh?
Thing is, the existence of another timeline at all is still a major deviation since such a concept did not exist in the PS1 game. I can only wonder where they will take things? If that is the case, the only way forward is to merge the timelines. That or Zack will meet the party eventually.