• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I also hated the Kubrick Shining film.
But mainly because I read the book first and loved it.
Then I watched the film and thought you really missed the entire point of the book didn't you?
I get why King hates it.

Oct 27, 2017
The film's rendition of madness is pretty evocative to me. Film Jack is a dude with absolutely no interiority who tries to shack up and become a *novelist*, but his frustrations, pretensions, and utter emptiness means he was basically a vessel that wanted to be filled by the the forces in the Overlook. It's a far more cynical and damning take on King's story (which was about an essentially good man who's personal demons were being exploited by supernatural evil) especially when you try to suss out what it's saying in a broader context about American culture.

Interesting take, I hadn't thought of it like that. Although part of me thinks that interpretation exists purely to fill the gaps left in the film as to why Jack goes mad with almost no context - but it would be a tough ask to get as much character into the film as existed in the book so the gaps (as I see them) are perhaps there by necessity. So maybe it is exactly as you say and that is the closest interpretation. Wait, now I'm going in circles ha.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Flanagan is on record in a few of the interviews that went live with the trailer essentially saying that his movie exists in both the book AND Kubrick continuity, and that navigating the anachronisms has been part of the challenge of bringing the film to life. In fact, the first task he set himself was convincing King that this movie also needed to be in Kubrick's universe.

So he strapped King to a cot and water boarded him?

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
King related, I just finished Revival and saw they are making a movie of it. While I enjoyed the book it was very much a stretched out short story. I think a movie will do it very well by cutting out a majority of the book.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Looks surprisingly good.

Edit: Had no idea this was behind the "Haunting of Hill House" guy. That's one of the best shows on Netflix.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
I enjoyed the book but it's such a different thing from The Shining that i think a lot of people walking out of the theater will think be disappointed.

The whole plot point of "Vampires stealing steam from shining children to stay young" works a lot better in the context of King's fictional metaverse, which is full of vampires, but i think people who think of Kubrick's The Shining as a stand alone thing are going to have mixed reactions to vampires in "the sequel to The Shining"

I love Kubrick's film but i love King's novel even more, so i'm curious to see what this film takes from both.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Flanagan is one of the best directors in horror currently. Can't fucking wait. If y'all ain't seen his Lovecraftian crowd-funded movie Absentia, do yourselves a favor. For a low-budget directorial debut, my GOD it was good.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I was hesitant when they announced they were making this movie. Thought the effects would come off as cheesy but it doesn't look that bad. The visualization of the "steam" is well done.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then I watched the film and thought you really missed the entire point of the book didn't you?
I get why King hates it.
I don't know that Kubrick missed the point of the book so much as didn't care and wanted to do his own thing.

FWIW i also prefer the book.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Flanagan is on record in a few of the interviews that went live with the trailer essentially saying that his movie exists in both the book AND Kubrick continuity, and that navigating the anachronisms has been part of the challenge of bringing the film to life. In fact, the first task he set himself was convincing King that this movie also needed to be in Kubrick's universe.
Honestly, that's an insane self-imposed challenge. I think most filmmakers would opt to make this story as self-contained as possible considering... yeah. But hey, the trailer is good so maybe they'll pull it off.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Is this the official thread for the trailer?

Wow I saw the trailer with no knowledge of this being related to The Shining/a sequel and I was pretty goddamn surprised by this.

I saw redrum and thought maybe it was just a weird reference and only later in the trailer with more unmistakable references did I realize what this was and yeah...super unexpected.

The Shining doesn't feel like a sequel kinda property.

Is Stephen King actually involved with this movie? Was there ever a book for this?

*Edited for clarity

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the official thread for the trailer?

Wow I saw the trailer with no knowledge of this being related to The Shining/a sequel and I was pretty goddamn surprised by this.

I saw redrum and still thought maybe it was just a weird reference and only later did I realize what this was and yeah...super unexpected.

The Shining doesn't feel like a sequel kinda property.

Is Stephen King actually involved? Was there ever a book?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Ah thanks. I don't want any spoilers for the movie so I'll just look over general stuff.

Doctor Sleep is a novel by King that is a sequel to The Shining, but it's a very different thing from The Shining.

Ah, well I hope this movie is good, whether or not it follows the book.

If audiences go in expecting "a sequel to The Shining" but doesn't really deliver on being "a sequel to The Shining" then that would be bad.
And I mean specifically, Kubrick's movie, as I understand the book was different from the movie and that King apparently wasn't a fan.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
The audacity of following up Kubrick is blowing my mind a little. Look out for Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon remakes.

Looks horrid.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Looks okay, I'm not as hot on Flanagans work as the hype for him has been. But he is one of the better horror directors out there at the moment

The only stuff that really interested me in this trailer was the shining shots tho

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I thought this was Shining Remake and i was like MEH then i saw comments its another story. Interested now

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sold. Primarily because it's a continuation of a 40 year old classic and that's always tricky. Ewan is great and the director did a great job with the Netflix show so maybe I'll be surprised.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They're trying to refer back to the original film a ton and lean heavily on that, but the other scenes don't feel like the film at all. All I can think is "this doesn't feel like Kubrick". So it's a pass for me.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
One of the last things that ever needed a sequel, and I don't picture attempting to strike a balance between Kubrick's film and King's book working out well either.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good! I enjoyed the book; wasn't anywhere near as good as The Shining, but was still a page turner.

I get why King hates it.

Kinda feel the same. I wouldn't say I hate the Kubrick film, but it definitely went entirely astray from the book. I enjoyed the miniseries with Steven Weber and Rebecca De Mornay, because it stuck to the source material.

Oct 28, 2017
The audacity of following up Kubrick is blowing my mind a little. Look out for Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon remakes.

Looks horrid.
It's not really following up Kubrick. The story is very separate from The Shining. In fact, you'd be fine reading the book without having any knowledge of what came before. The hooks are there for those that care about the previous story though.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They included footage from The Shining, so there's no way I could objectively judge this trailer in a vacuum. It's cloying in that way, but I still think it looks good. I hope the movie is good.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Direct sequel to a Kubrick film?

XSig-gwPcgNEqYiOquqI6i_RvCI3o4Xnsc4fgZvklbsQIrhmhZeZULTZvw0DIVIIOo8dNjfnVijyNwOZ4ePvR_7-zLjcVfc5vyVkGLY=w600-h244-nc

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
They included footage from The Shining, so there's no way I could objectively judge this trailer in a vacuum. It's cloying in that way, but I still think it looks good. I hope the movie is good.
Fun fact is actually new footage made to look like the Shining, the only scene from the actual The Shining is the elevator
Flanagan could mimic Kubrick if we wanted, heĀ“s clearly trying to go on his own style

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact is actually new footage made to look like the Shining, the only scene from the actual The Shining is the elevator
Flanagan could mimic Kubrick if we wanted, heĀ“s clearly trying to go on his own style

Oh, nice. That's really cool. I had a fleeting thought that the footage looked very clean and sharp for its age, not that it was actually original newly shot stuff. That's awesome.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for this one. The Shining is one of two books I've ever read twice. The movie is spectacular as well, as long as you can separate the two.